The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 09-30-2020, 05:15 AM   #81
garsh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
You can find that Shadow Weaver at bigbadtoystore.com for about $20 and shipping. You never know, they might do some She-Ra characters in "Origins" if they keep it going long enough.

Sure, I took some pics, although it's late and the light's off and I used the flash so it's not 100% accurate to the color the plastic really is. But it looks good. I also took a picture of the note they sent with it so you can look them up if you wanna look for any of their other MOTU repro weapons. They apparently do a lot of good stuff.

It's a half-sword but I think they make whole swords too if you ask.

It's definitely made out of a harder plastic than the original swords were but it feels good. As mentioned, there's a few other things I plan to order from them in the future. Like I need a Skeletor Power Sword, the He-Man accessory set, and the Sorceress Staff. They're all way cheaper than finding the originals and they look just as good anyway. In the case of those specific things, anyway. Some of the other weapons I need are cheap enough to find the authentic ones, but those specific items are often pretty expensive so $10 or so for a repro isn't bad, I think.

Dude that sword is awesome! I'm really impressed with the quality of the cast. Personally I always liked the feel of the more gummy accessories, but I can't deny it can be really frustrating when they warp into a wrong shape and resist correction, so more I'm confident a more rigid material is more practical. I appreciate the note so I can look into getting some if the need comes up. Thanks!
garsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:58 AM   #82
Leo656
The Franchise

No problem! Yeah, these seem pretty solid. You can definitely tell it's not an original when you touch it firmly but at a glance they look the same and they don't even feel all that different, just barely enough to tell. I definitely wouldn't be worried about warping. The hand guard, in particular, feels much more solid.

I haven't tried to match-up Adam's Repro sword with my original Skeletor Power Sword to see how they fit together yet, if they do, so I'll let you know how that goes.

When the repro belt comes I'll be sure and take a picture of my "restored" Prince Adam. Again, I'm trying to be as authentic as possible when tracking down the spare parts but I know that's a lost cause on some figures' accessories, so I'm fine settling for repros for a handful of things. I think they even make the little red clips for the back of Flying Fists He-Man and Terror Claws Skeletor. Pretty sure they make a repro lock for Dragon Blaster Skeletor, too.

God's work, to be sure. I'm just glad somebody's doing it!

EDIT:

Tried matching up the repro Adam Power Sword with an authentic Skeletor one. They fit, but not 1:1; the repro swords are like a tiny hair smaller but they'll hold together.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 09-30-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:20 AM   #83
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

When i see frozen pizza 30% off i buy in bulk , perhaps not scalping since i dont resell the food , lol (food is expensive in Norway so can you blame me

Leo , youre not cynical , sadly youre right on those points......i agree a MotU movie shouldve been done when LOTR was hot - but maybe , just maybe , it could be a modest hit

Last edited by Hamato Yoshi; 10-04-2020 at 02:26 AM.
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:08 AM   #84
Leo656
The Franchise

Got a few new and awesome things over the last few days.

First up, my replacement Mekaneck from the original series came in, and WOW! He's in great shape! There's a tiny bit of paint rub on his boot (not visible in the photo) but that's easy to fix, and otherwise he looks great!
Spoiler:

One step closer to finishing my Super7 Filmation collection of 5.5s with Evil Seed!
Spoiler:

I just need Buzz-Off and I'll have all the individual characters from that line, depending on whether you call Robot He-Man a variant, since I still need him too. I don't have any of the variants, yet, as I was focusing on getting all the main characters first.

Finally, I can say "Wave One COMPLETE!" on the Mattel "Origins" line, as I picked up Man-At-Arms and Beast Man at the flea market!
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

That is so close to the original Man-At-Arms head (plus moustache) that it's uncanny.

Can't wait for Wave 2! Hopefully I'll be working again soon so I won't have to dip into my savings. I'll figure it out.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #85
garsh
Foot Soldier

Origins Grayskull officially revealed today

box / illustration
promo photo
contents
interior / reverse
series collection
garsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #86
Leo656
The Franchise

My poor boner.

F*ck it, pre-ordered. $80 after shipping, should be here by April 20th.

Last edited by Leo656; 10-09-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:29 PM   #87
Leo656
The Franchise

Picked up a few new figures over the last couple of weeks, I just kept forgetting to post pictures.

First up, Buzz-Off from the Super7 Filmation "Masters of the Universe" 5.5-inch line!
Spoiler:

Not a bad figure; I just wish his wrists were articulated so that he could hold his lance any position but sideways. Not a huge deal, though.

Aside from "Robot He-Man", I have all the unique characters from this line, now. So one of these days I'll start picking up the variants like "Transforming He-Man", "Crystal Statue Man-At-Arms", and so on.

Next up, King Hssss from the Masters of the Universe Classics line!
Spoiler:

Always one of my favorite characters. The "Serpentine King Hssss" figure of him in his snake form was the first MOTU Classics figure I ever got, when I found him cheap at a toy show. This guy was pretty cheap also, so I snapped him up.

Finally, we have "Intergalactic Overlord" Skeletor from Masters of the Universe Classics!
Spoiler:

I never cared much for the "New Adventures of He-Man" cartoon, but I like what the Classics series did with the character designs. This one was also really cheap, and I plan on getting as many He-Man and Skeletor variants as I can anyways, so this was an easy buy.

I found a few other "Classics" figures that weren't too pricey, so I have another three on the way. I just wish that all the characters I REALLY want like Teela, Man-At-Arms, etc., weren't around $100-200. There's still a bunch of good characters for around $50-80, and I guess that's not TOO bad, but I really want the "main cast" and I wish I could get them for less than a friggin' grand. One day, hopefully.

I didn't take pictures yet, but I also got a few of the vintage Mattels, such as Trap Jaw with belt and weapons, Teena with full weapons and armor, and Sy-Klone with his chest hologram. I've already had each of these for a long time but I'd lost some or all of the accessories over time, and it was cheaper to just buy the replacement figures than trying to scrounge for parts.

I'm also chipping away at the replacement weapons I need for some of my vintage figures. I was able to find a gold Power Sword for Thunder Punch He-Man pretty cheap, as well as Tri-Klops's sword. I also got repro versions of He-Man and Skeletor's Power Swords, as well as the Sorceress's Eagle Staff, which are pretty much identical to the real thing (only much cheaper).

For anyone in need or interested, the same guy I got the repro weapons from ALSO makes Power Swords in ANY color, not just the ones that match the originals. He can also make them in see-through translucent plastic, as well as in both "male" and "female" versions, so if you ever wanted your He-Man or Skeletor to have a full Power Sword in one color rather than a half-sword OR a Silver/Purple hybrid sword, there ya go. I gotta remember to get a "female" He-Man sword and "male" Skeletor sword, for that exact purpose. But yeah, check around on eBay if you're interested, the guy does good work.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:42 AM   #88
Leo656
The Franchise

Something else rather spiffy came in today's mail. I mentioned that I'd found a good deal on some "Masters of the Universe Classics" figures, and the first arrived today. For about $20 I was able to pick up one of my old favorites, Rio Blast!
Spoiler:

I always had a real fondness for this guy. His original figure was always one of my favorites, even though it had SO many parts to lose and now I need replacements. I'll take much better care of this guy, I swear!

I got a couple more from a different seller, which should be here tomorrow or the day after. They were cheaper than normal because the plastic bubble was pushed in a little bit near the bottom. I really don't care about that, but I care immensely about MOTUC figures for under $25! Hopefully they'll be here tomorrow.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #89
frank_one
Mad Scientist

That was one of my favorites too! $20 is a very good deal.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:12 AM   #90
Leo656
The Franchise

Over the last month or so I picked up a few more vintage Mattel figures, but I hadn't gotten around to cleaning them up or taking pictures. So I finally did that. Getting down to the wire on the ones I need, now, and only missing a few more accessories, too. The stuff I don't have is pretty much the stuff I simply can't afford, give or take a Gwildor or whatever.

Vintage Mekaneck with club. I only needed the club and the armor BUT as is often the case it was just cheaper to buy a whole new figure.

EDIT: I forgot that I already posted this guy a while ago.

Sy-Klone with Shield. Another one I've had since I was about two, but I lost his chest hologram (and his shield) almost immediately, somehow. Again, cheaper to by a whole new replacement figure.

Vintage King Hiss. Mine actually stands up much better than this guy does, and I had most of his armor minus just the right arm piece and shield. Apparently EVERYONE lost the right arm cover, so you guessed it, easier to buy a whole new one.

Vintage Trap Jaw. Needed the belt, hook, and claw; you can guess the story by now. My original is in better shape, particularly he still has the little loop on his helmet intact. But this one didn't set me back too much all things considered.

Finally, vintage Teela with full armor and weapons. One of the few I never had as a kid. Finding one without the tab on the back of her armor broken was a pain in the ass, and I almost accidentally clicked on a few other ones that looked pretty fine until I took a closer look at the seller's pictures. Always zoom in! Anyways, she's in GREAT shape.

I don't know if I'll ever have a "complete" collection - for one thing, Eternia, Tytus and Megator are probably out of my grasp forever - but I'm getting super close to having all the main figures, at least!

Figure-wise, I only need:
Stratos w/Blue Wings
Modulok (have one, lost half the parts)
Rokkon (have a broken one)
Dragon Blaster Skeletor
Hurricane Hordak (ALL the limbs on mine fell apart)
Multi-Bot (lost half his parts, same as Modulok)
Dragstor
Horde Trooper
Terror Claws Skeletor
Blast-Attack
Clamp Champ
Buzz-Saw Hordak
Mosquitor
Ninjor
Rotar
Scare Glow
Snake Face
SSSqueeze
Twistoid
Blade
Gwildor

Of those, I will probably only be able to pick up Gwildor, Dragstor, Rokkon, Modulok, and the Stratos variant anytime soon. They're all pretty reasonable, but the rest of the ones I'm missing generally START at around $100 loose and go up from there (sometimes WAY up from there, like Scare Glow). Although in some cases, they're easier to find without weapons and/or some of the tiny accessories, and 3D-printed reproductions of those parts are very prevalent now, so I might be able to "cheat" a little bit just to get the damn figures I need once and for all. I would LOVE to at the very least have a complete character collection.

Weapons/Accessories I need:
- He-Man's Shield
- Ram Man's Ax
- Buzz Off's Helmet & Ax
- Battle Armor He-Man's Sword & Ax
- Kobra Khan's Gun
- Orko's Ripcord & Magic Trick pieces
- Grizzlor's Crossbow
- Thunder Punch He-Man's Shield
- Leech's Crossbow
- Modulok's Gun
- Moss Man's Mace
- Roboto's Ax & Claw
- Rokkon's Blaster
- Spikor's Mace
- Stonedar's Blaster
- Two-Bad's Shield
- Extendar's Shield
- Flying Fists He-Man's Shield & Red Clip
- Multi-Bot's Gun
- Rio Blast's Chest & Leg Guns
- Snout Spout's Ax
- King Randor's Cape

...Along with several of the Grayskull and Weapons Pack items. I HAD all of that stuff, but across multiple toy boxes and several moves, little by little they vanished. Thankfully, most of them are very easy to find cheap, and the more difficult ones people make cheap repro's of, anyway. Believe it or not, the hardest thing to find so far has been Randor's cape. I can't even find a reproduction of it, I might need to either make one or try and find a similar style blue cape for another action figure and put it on him. Anyways, now that I have most of the figures that I can actually afford, Phase Two is going to be about replacing all those weapons bit-by-bit.

I also need a few beasts, playsets and vehicles, but right now I'm mostly focusing on just getting my figures in top shape, and going from there. Thankfully, much of that stuff is still pretty reasonable as well.

Whew! Gettin' there!

Last edited by Leo656; 11-24-2020 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:36 PM   #91
Leo656
The Franchise

I keep forgetting to post my He-Man pickups here, and instead I keep posting them in the regular Toys thread. D'oh! This time I remembered to do it right.

First up, another addition to the 1980s vintage line, with ZOAR, "The Fighting Falcon" who went on to be retconned into being the secondary form of The Sorceress:

I gotta clean it up a little bit, and it's got some paint bleed under the wing (although not as bad as a lot of these do), but overall it's complete and in great shape! The wings aren't too bent and they still flap just fine. I had this one as a kid but somehow broke/lost it. Really glad to have it back, finally, especially in such great shape.

Next up, thanks to my pals at the flea market, I was able to pick up all of Wave 3 in the new Origins line!

They're all pretty cool, but I think Roboto might be my favorite of this Wave, he always just looks really cool. Sadly, I think She-Ra could have been a LOT better. It fits what they're going for with the whole "vintage-inspired" aesthetic, and it definitely conjures up images of the original She-Ra figure, but sadly, that figure just wasn't that good, objectively-speaking, which is why they kept tweaking the design all the way up until the Filmation cartoon debuted. I definitely would have preferred that they gave this figure her Filmation outfit, with the smaller tiara, solid white skirt and larger emblem on her torso, and it seems most fans agree with me. The giant crown/mask (nobody liked that gimmick for her) and the mesh skirt just don't do the trick. Really hoping for a reissue done in Filmation attire somewhere down the line. Otherwise, I might get a second one just to do a custom.

Nitpicks aside, I really do like all of these figures and am really happy with this line so far. I have Wave 1 and 3, and now I gotta try and find 2. And the Battle Armor figures. And Panthor. Holy sh*t, this line blew up fast. Couldn't be happier, though!

Last edited by Leo656; 02-08-2021 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:16 PM   #92
IMJ
Emperor

It's your fault I'm buying these bastards now.

I can't find wave 2 anywhere. Then again now that I think about it, I can't find anything anywhere - I only have He-Man, Skeletor and that Mer-Man I mentioned in my PM rant.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:41 PM   #93
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, Wave 2 skipped the U.S. apparently and Wave 3 is juuuuust trickling out now. People are hoping Wave 2 hits American stores eventually BUT most people are just going to BigBadToyStore since they're only a buck and change over retail per figure. Nobody wants to fall behind, since Wave 2 has Scare Glow in it and he ALWAYS shoots up in price. Wave 5 or 6 will be out before the end of the year, along with the Wind Raider, Land Shark, and several of the Deluxe and Battle Armor figures. And they're mixing up the Waves so they generally have a mix of "early" (1982-1984) and "late" (1985-1987) characters in each one, which is cool.

When in doubt, BBTS is the way to go for MOTU stuff if you can't find it on the shelves. Pretty much all MOTU fans make that their main destination for action figures nowadays. I've ordered a ton of stuff from them over the past year and can recommend them wholeheartedly. You might even get an order delivered on Sundays! My orders from them show up on Sunday more often than not, for some reason. Mattel insists on sending stores one or two cases of He-Man, one or two cases of Skeletor, and only one "mixed" case of either Wave 1 or Wave 3 figures, so most people so far can only find He-Man and Skeletor. Which has people annoyed, BUT, even if you find them in the wild the cardbacks are generally bent and roughed up from people handling them. I know you're looking for stuff as close to "pristine" as possible, and all of my stuff from BBTS is nearly flawless. My Super 7 5.5s even came almost entirely unpunched.

I'm just gonna go ahead and start ordering Wave 2 and 4 from BBTS and see if the situation in stores clears up, as it's "supposed" to by Spring once more than just Walmart start getting orders in. It's just good to know that there's a super easy and reliable way of getting them all without paying an arm and a leg. It's crazy to see certain figures on eBay for like fifty bucks, when those same figures are on preorder on BBTS for $16. Maybe take a few weeks extra to get there for back-ordered stuff, but it beats paying scalper prices!

And yeah, that's what I do. Lots of sh*t is my fault. I'm like a drug dealer, except instead'a crack I get people hooked on He-Man. No shame!

EDIT: AAARRRRGH, The Wave 2 Pre-Orders on BBTS sold out sometime after I typed this. I snagged Man-E-Faces for now; I think my wife got me Scare Glow, and Trap Jaw and Orko will turn up again soon. Even the Lords of Power box set turned up briefly today before selling out again, so I know Wave 2 will be up again soon.

I went ahead and ordered Wave 4, just in case. HORDAK! Next week I'll pick up Battle Armor He-Man and Skeletor, probably.

Last edited by Leo656; 02-09-2021 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #94
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, Wave 2 skipped the U.S. apparently and Wave 3 is juuuuust trickling out now.
Oh this was news to me. I was wondering WTH happened. Where did you find this out?
Old 02-09-2021, 10:28 AM   #95
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm not sure if it's hard fact or just a rumor. I know for a fact that on various FB groups people in other countries (I forget which ones) were showing pictures of Wave 2 showing up in Walmart stores in abundance as far back as November but nothing in America. Pretty sure everybody on the .org just bought them online already.

Nobody seems to know exactly what happened, and obviously Mattel isn't going to say much about it. People are hoping that Wave 2 gets a more widespread release in America now that Wave 3 is popping up, but just in case everybody's been buying them online anyway. Trap Jaw has become one of the "must-buy" characters in every line that comes out, and of course Scare Glow remains THE figure to get with every release, from vintage to Classics to now. Kinda glad they got him out of the way early this time. Orko and Man-E-Faces are generally popular, too, but I have a feeling that it's Trap Jaw and Scare Glow that are pushing people to snap up Wave 2.

They'll turn up, though. BBTS gets restocked pretty often. For all Mattel's faults in mismanaging case ratios, they're not NECA. They don't manufacture three of something and then blame you for not being able to buy it. They'll make/ship more.

EDIT: I broke down and bought Orko and Trap Jaw on Amazon. Orko was retail price at $15, Trap Jaw was $35 which is still less than eBay. Can't help it, I need Kronis in my life! I'm weak!

By buying them together I qualified for Free Shipping. Neat! It'll apparently take a few weeks to get here, but we'll see. My Amazon orders almost always come earlier than estimated. But I've already waited this long, if I have to wait until March, so be it. Long as I don't miss them.

Last edited by Leo656; 02-09-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:23 PM   #96
IMJ
Emperor

Decided to give the awkwardly timed mid-day Target run a try and pretty much filled in all of wave 2 completely, punched and unpunched.

Old 02-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #97
Leo656
The Franchise

You mean Wave 3. BUT regardless, great haul!

Aaaaaand HOLY SH*T, Grayskull is showing up in stores despite the earliest preorders still saying they're not shipping until April (in some cases, August)!

Jesus, that thing is awesome. I agree with some folks that the paint and general color of the plastic could be darker, but on the whole, it looks even better than the original, with stuff that was once cardboard inserts now actual plastic parts and additions like the cloth flags, extra Weapons Rack, and so on. I feel like people's fears that this would be so similar to the original as to be redundant can be put to bed. It looks really great!

My pre-order still says it's not shipping until 4/20. It's gonna be a huge test of willpower not to buy this damn thing if I actually see it in the store. So far it sounds like it's only in Canada, but it's just a matter of time until it hits over here.

This thing just dropped like a bomb today, people are freaking out. No warning, no build-up, just "Ah, here ya go." Weird!

At least it's out, and it's awesome! Even more pumped for it, now.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:22 PM   #98
Leo656
The Franchise

Got a couple of new additions to my vintage line in the mail today!

First up, Screeech!

This thing looks like it's barely even been touched; the wings are nearly straight (very rare for Screeech and Zoar) and the accessories are still bagged and not assembled (I used Zoar's perch for the photograph). It looks practically new!

Next up, one I never had as a kid and am really thrilled to finally have, the original vintage Gwildor!

He needs a few drops of touch-up paint on his face, but otherwise he's in great shape too. I was a huge fan of the movie as a kid, so I'm not sure how I missed getting him, other than I think he and Blade were kind of rare at some point. I had Saurod and I think he was kind of easy to get, but I don't remember seeing Gwildor or Blade very often, if at all. I didn't know anyone else who had them, either.

Better late than never! Hopefully I'll be able to get Blade soon, so I can complete the trifecta of movie figures from the 1988 line.

Old 02-13-2021, 01:09 AM   #99
Leo656
The Franchise

So I was at Walmart, and I ended up picking some stuff I hadn't planned on. They had these Mega-Construx sets, and I generally don't care. But they had this one here for FIVE DOLLARS, for some reason. So I said why the hell not?

Since I was already getting that one, I picked this one up as well. This one was about $30, and I have no idea why since the much bigger set was only FIVE. But whatever. They're neat.

I didn't get around to messing with them yet, maybe tomorrow. They do seem pretty neat, though. In looking around online it seems like I got a helluva deal on the Point Dread one.

Sadly, I came in way late to the party on these, and the Castle Grayskull set is like FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS now, so I don't think I'll end up being a "completist" on these. Looks like there's already a bunch of sets I missed, so I might just grab a few here and there if I find them kinda cheap.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #100
Walkabout
Stone Warrior

My brother and I had **** tons of the original MOTU line as a kid, reading through this thread drives me wild.

I think Gwildor was the last figure I ever got.
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote