The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 08-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Do you consider yourself an intellectual?

In today's modern society of educated youths, where more and more people are graduating College with not only BA's but Master Degrees and Doctorates, do you consider yourself an intellectual among high society?

Even though I am not well versed on any subject in particular, I still like thinking and learning about just about everything. Just to have a well-rounded background. I love to think about astronomy and space, I love history especially dating back to ancient civilizations as well as everything from the 1200's through the 1950's, etc. I have no skill in art, music or drawing, but I appreciate those fine arts when I see them.

Ignorance is the worst thing in the world. Nobody wants to be an ignorant. So do you consider yourself well aware of the world as its whole, as well as the many subjects required to become an intellectual among modern society?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
In today's modern society of educated youths, where more and more people are graduating College with not only BA's but Master Degrees and Doctorates, do you consider yourself an intellectual among high society?

Even though I am not well versed on any subject in particular, I still like thinking and learning about just about everything. Just to have a well-rounded background. I love to think about astronomy and space, I love history especially dating back to ancient civilizations as well as everything from the 1200's through the 1950's, etc. I have no skill in art, music or drawing, but I appreciate those fine arts when I see them.

Ignorance is the worst thing in the world. Nobody wants to be an ignorant. So do you consider yourself well aware of the world as its whole, as well as the many subjects required to become an intellectual among modern society?
Nobody wants to be an ignorant, eh?
Old 08-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well if we're talking only from the perspective of being "an intellectual among high society," then I guess I'm not going to fit that real well. I have some knowledge on various subjects, but probably not enough.

I'm no math and science wiz, I don't know everything about everything, but still enjoy learning about what interests me and am hardly any dummy... I'm still pretty bright in other ways imo. I'd like to think my own strengths can give me some measure of wisdom, which I value more than haughty intellectualism anyhow.

And how often are those who regard themselves as "intellectuals" in fact just pseudo-intellectuals? I find those sorts rather annoying, to be honest.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
snake
Disgusting

Not really. I have a huge amount of useless knowledge and trivia and I love writing as well as learning new stuff, but I don't take myself seriously enough to call me an intellectual.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Being educated doesn't necessarily make you an intellectual. Many college graduates are dumb and/or ignorant about many things.

I've always liked learning despite disliking school for the most part. I'm just curious and my family always stimulated me to learn, so I guess that's why I'm the way I am. I'm naturally curious. Does that make me an intellectual? Eh, no. I'm very ignorant about advanced maths and physics. And also not so good at science as am I at humanities and similar areas. I'm not exactly a jack of all trades. But I try to be good at the things I have an easier time learning, if that counts.

We're all ignorant, and I'm no exception. Odd that you make this thread considering you seem quite ignorant of society and a whole. Then again, you're CC, so it's probably just part of your online gimmick
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Not really. I have a huge amount of useless knowledge and trivia and I love writing as well as learning new stuff, but I don't take myself seriously enough to call me an intellectual.
Define "useless" knowledge, by that term do you mean knowledge that doesn't lend you a material reward?

Anyhow, I have never thought of calling myself an intellectual but my passions include Philosophy, religion, art, culture and spirituality.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Define "useless" knowledge, by that term do you mean knowledge that doesn't lend you a material reward?

Anyhow, I have never thought of calling myself an intellectual but my passions include Philosophy, religion, art, culture and spirituality.
If you bother to learn about something in the first place then it cannot be "useless" knowledge. My knowledge of certain aspects of Japanese society and culture won't help me do my job better, but that doesn't mean it's useless knowledge. I have fun learning and discussing with people about such things. I like to discover the world.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #9
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Well if we're talking only from the perspective of being "an intellectual among high society," then I guess I'm not going to fit that real well. I have some knowledge on various subjects, but probably not enough.

I'm no math and science wiz, I don't know everything about everything, but still enjoy learning about what interests me and am hardly any dummy... I'm still pretty bright in other ways imo. I'd like to think my own strengths can give me some measure of wisdom, which I value more than haughty intellectualism anyhow.

And how often are those who regard themselves as "intellectuals" in fact just pseudo-intellectuals? I find those sorts rather annoying, to be honest.
Agreed. I'm not an expert on everything either, but I still like learning about stuff that interests me such as history and one can learn from mistakes as well.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #10
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post

I can name every single Star Wars kenner action figure released. That type of useless knowledge
Old 08-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #11
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Nah, not at all. I know **** about history or geography or science. In fact, I'm lucky most standardized testing was only math and English when I was in school. I hear now they added science or some other subjects to state exams and SAT's? Help me out here, snake.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #12
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I'm probably too stupid to be an intellectual even if I wanted to be.
Instead of being a Renaissance Man, I'd be totally content to just know how to interact with people, know how to speak and write intelligently, and know how to think critically.
Like snake I am a repository of strangely specific yet strangely useless knowledge, but since brains aren't like hard drives, and can hold pretty much unlimited information, it's not like my knowing every single Bionicle character impedes my learning anything else I want/need to.

The question is, does CyberCubed consider himself an intellectual?
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #13
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Nah, not at all. I know **** about history or geography or science. In fact, I'm lucky most standardized testing was only math and English when I was in school. I hear now they added science or some other subjects to state exams and SAT's? Help me out here, snake.
Yep. I suck at standarized tests (only thing keeping me off first honors last year) mostly because of the math. Different schools get different tests.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #14
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Ignorance is the worst thing in the world. Nobody wants to be an ignorant. So do you consider yourself well aware of the world as its whole...
"Rarely is the question asked--is our children learning?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #15
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
"Rarely is the question asked--is our children learning?"
Throughout half of America:
Spoiler:
NO.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #16
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Instead of being a Renaissance Man, I'd be totally content to just know how to interact with people, know how to speak and write intelligently, and know how to think critically.
Like snake I am a repository of strangely specific yet strangely useless knowledge, but since brains aren't like hard drives, and can hold pretty much unlimited information, it's not like my knowing every single Bionicle character impedes my learning anything else I want/need to.

Knowing some Bionicle characters actually can boost your knowledge because their names are from the Maori language so you can learn that. Like Pohatu's name I think means Stone in Maori
Old 08-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #17
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #18
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
This

Quote:
Askin' the real questions
Old 08-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #19
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Old 08-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #20
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I wouldn't think so. I occasionally have deep thoughts, but mostly just a normal dude.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubedthinksdeep, necrocubed