Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #21
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
I don't know what Namek is...

Honestly, I don't think that it's all bad, but there's so much missed potential that it's really just dragging on and on. I mean, I just can't believe that 10 issues later, not only is the battle of the bands still a thing, but apparently is somehow the most important thing despite everything else happening. Hopefully it'll pick up once Shredder and the Pantheon come back.
Go find out. I mean it. Go read and/or watch Dragon Ball, and start from the very beginning if you can, with the OG series. You won't regret it, you'll find out about a new franchise that's gonna blow your mind and become a fast favorite (there's enough overlap with TMNT and similar stuff to make me sure of that), and hopefully by the time you finish and come back, this comic will have gotten back on track. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #22
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Liking what I'm seeing so far, Cool that they manage to patch things up. Can't wait to see who else will join the ban.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:21 PM   #23
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:

Honestly, I don't think that it's all bad, but there's so much missed potential that it's really just dragging on and on. I mean, I just can't believe that 10 issues later, not only is the battle of the bands still a thing, but apparently is somehow the most important thing despite everything else happening. Hopefully it'll pick up once Shredder and the Pantheon come back.
Right, quick explaination here. In Dragon Ball there is an arc where a few characters have to go to Namek because most of the other died, a planet that barely has anything on it except for a handful of natives. Most of the arc is about the main characters either hiding from, running away from or fighting the henchmen of the main villain. Unlike previous arcs, there is very little in terms of adventure, twists or even variety in scenery. Aside from introducing some very iconic elements of the series, it tends to come across as drawn out and a bit devoid of imagination.

Now out of the total 42 volume run, it takes up about 7 volumes (actually a little more than that but 7 in rough terms). Alternatively, when published in Weekly Shonen Jump it lasted from October 24 1989 to June 11 1991, so pretty close to 2 years out of the almost 11 year run. In the anime adaptation, it took 62 episodes to conclude, meaning it took up 21% of Dragon Ball Z (14% with Dragon Ball). Even in Kai, a cut of Z that removed most of the filler, it still took 35 episodes to conclude.

By my estimate, a completely new adaptation of the manga from start to finish would reduce the total episode count from 444 to a maximum of 130, in which case the Namek arc shouldn't be much longer than 20 episodes.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #24
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikWolferson View Post
Are they still on Namek Mutant Town?
With comments like that, I think the writers will continue with Mutant Town as a spite.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #25
Leo656
The Franchise

I have no doubt that very much of what they've been doing is indeed out of spite.

The old Vince McMahon Logic. "People hate this? Cram it down their throats! That'll teach 'em... people will like what I TELL them to like!"

Always a sound strategy. That's why his business is doing so well, with record-high ratings and buyrates and... oh. Oh, my. You mean business is at a 40-year low, nobody's watching the product and if it weren't for Saudi blood money and high advertising rates they'd be completely in the sh*tter and possibly out of business? Golly, how on EARTH did THAT ever happen?!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:54 PM   #26
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Right, quick explaination here. In Dragon Ball there is an arc where a few characters have to go to Namek because most of the other died, a planet that barely has anything on it except for a handful of natives. Most of the arc is about the main characters either hiding from, running away from or fighting the henchmen of the main villain. Unlike previous arcs, there is very little in terms of adventure, twists or even variety in scenery. Aside from introducing some very iconic elements of the series, it tends to come across as drawn out and a bit devoid of imagination.
It's also pretty much the best arc in the series, hands down. Some of Vegeta's best moments happen there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
With comments like that, I think the writers will continue with Mutant Town as a spite.
In other words, cutting off the nose to spite the face. Always a savvy strategy in business or anything else.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:02 PM   #27
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post

In other words, cutting off the nose to spite the face. Always a savvy strategy in business or anything else.
so, by that logic, skeletor is currently in charge of the series.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:06 PM   #28
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
so, by that logic, skeletor is currently in charge of the series.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...Ccyy1gv40X0bnk
I always assumed Skeletor lost his nose in an unfortunate workplace accident that led him to turn to supervillainy but, y'know, it's entirely possible.

This guy too:

Spoiler:
Old 04-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #29
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I always assumed Skeletor lost his nose in an unfortunate workplace accident that led him to turn to supervillainy but, y'know, it's entirely possible.

This guy too:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/vi...kullmaster.png
it's cause of this sketch i thought of him.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
Old 04-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #30
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
it's cause of this sketch i thought of him.
Oh. Forgive my ignorance. I'd never watched anything Robot Chicken-related until three minutes ago.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:55 AM   #31
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
It's also pretty much the best arc in the series, hands down. Some of Vegeta's best moments happen there.
Yeah, it is good, hard to imagine the series without it. I just tried to point out why someone might find it tiresome.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:17 AM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

Nah, the only problem with Namek is that Goku vs. Freeza goes on way too long. The whole first half of it leading up to that point is excellent (bar a few filler-ish stuff with Bulma that Toei threw in there). Even in Kai, Goku/Freeza still goes on quite a bit. But it was the most important fight of the series so it makes sense it goes on that long.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #33
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

really want to go fast, watch the "abridged" version.
"you punched me in the face!"
"you bit my tail!"

Kenny O'Donnell

Old 04-09-2021, 08:49 AM   #34
slashpieturtlemix
Mad Scientist

Mutant town is that 400 episode Namek arc from dbz easily. Longest wait in history.

https://www.youtube.com/user/hkohles1

https://www.ebay.com/usr/kohlesgoods

https://www.facebook.com/hkohles1gaming
slashpieturtlemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #35
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nah, the only problem with Namek is that Goku vs. Freeza goes on way too long. The whole first half of it leading up to that point is excellent (bar a few filler-ish stuff with Bulma that Toei threw in there). Even in Kai, Goku/Freeza still goes on quite a bit. But it was the most important fight of the series so it makes sense it goes on that long.
The real reason that fight lasted for as long as it did and there are so many out of place extra episodes is because Toei continually had to create filler whenever their production outpaced Toriyama creating the manga it was being adapted from.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:15 PM   #36
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Go find out. I mean it.
By watching Dragon Ball Z Abridged on YouTube.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:53 PM   #37
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Kamikaze View Post
By watching Dragon Ball Z Abridged on YouTube.
Good call but most of it's just gonna go over his head if he doesn't watch the real version first. Abridged is like watching a reaction video to a movie or show you've never watched before and know nothing about: still enjoyable but not as fun.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:48 PM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

Abridged sucks. Watching it on its own is fine, but it's just a parody sub and not a replacement for a real show.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:01 AM   #39
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Abridged sucks. Watching it on its own is fine, but it's just a parody sub and not a replacement for a real show.
Yeah. I see way too many people recommend others watch DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged without watching the originals, which is pretty dumb, in my opinion. Completely different experience, and it's less rewarding to watch those without seeing the originals.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:24 AM   #40
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:

The battle of the bands was only introduced last issue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
Yeah. I see way too many people recommend others watch DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged without watching the originals, which is pretty dumb, in my opinion. Completely different experience, and it's less rewarding to watch those without seeing the originals.
None of those "abridged" things are even entertaining in the least, either.