The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 01-08-2024, 11:16 AM   #81
The Inventive Donatello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Woke, as it's being used by liberals, is pretty much the over-correction of first world problems (hence the easily offended over everything) and trying to go for equity over equality, pretty much 'equality' but at the expense of others. Most of the time what they actually want it privilege and special treatment. The irony is they say they're against racism but are actually promoting segregation where everything must fix into its little label and little box, or else. They literally only see you as your race and label. AND they claim to hate Nazis but they go full Nazi on anyone that doesn't agree with their idealogies.

In terms of media, woke means caring more about checkboxes and virtue signals than character and story.

Also as a straight 40 something white male, you're pretty much the enemy to them. Don't be so quick to defend people that will tell you to go 'check your privilege, boomer'
Believe me, I hate those idiots (such as feminists who claim to desire equality when want they want is superiority) - however my stance is to side with those who have no agenda. Yes, plenty 'woke' people (as you call them) have an agenda and want everything their way, but plenty don't too. Those are the ones who just want a fair society, and that is what I want too (a pipedream but I am an idealist).

It was more of a rhetorical question. I know what woke has come to mean, I just find it a laughable term.

The media stuff can be annoying, but changing Amber's race in Invincible doesn't affect my enjoyment of the story. Absolutely there are times it does affect enjoyment but I feel some go well over the top about it.

I know I am the enemy to them. But I won't change my morals just because it suits me personally. I am not that selfish. I won't go against decent people. There are decent people on the left, and on the right, not everyone is a bad person simply because of their political stance.

Also, I am a millennial, not a boomer. But you knew that.
The Inventive Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:19 AM   #82
The Inventive Donatello
Banned

Quote:
Oh and you're also racist apparently, cause the woke believe all white people are inheritably born racist they just don't know it. It's just nonsense.
Obviously I am not siding with imbeciles who believe that nonsense and have such a chip on their shoulder. I believe in equality and anyone who genuinely believes in that on that side of things has my support.

I am obviously not referring to women who hate me because I am a man, or black people who think I am racist because I am white. The problem is you assume everyone on the left is like that. That's insane.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:23 AM   #83
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inventive Donatello View Post
Obviously I am not siding with imbeciles who believe that nonsense and have such a chip on their shoulder. I believe in equality and anyone who genuinely believes in that on that side of things has my support.

I am obviously not referring to women who hate me because I am a man, or black people who think I am racist because I am white. The problem is you assume everyone on the left is like that. That's insane.
Unfortunately, the loud majority speaks for all of you and there aren't enough people speaking up saying 'yo I may be a leftist or a liberal, but I'm not one of those whackos'. And most of the time it's because if you say that, they'll come after you too, or they'll label you a conservative. Or both.

Not everyone on the left is like that, but the ones that aren't are the ones that aren't 'woke'. From what I see, ALL woke people are like that. The leftists and liberals that aren't like that, aren't woke.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:24 AM   #84
The Inventive Donatello
Banned

'I mean if we play the woke game, are you, a white man, talking DOWN to a Hispanic man (Andrew)???? How dare you. lol'

That's reductionist and doesn't make any sense, given he's displayed plenty of intolerant views.

Him being an ethnic minority isn't a get out of jail free card to behave how he likes (same as feminists and black people shouldn't get away with terrible behaviour then hide behind racism or misogyny when they are called out).

That was a bad argument by you and I think you know that hence putting it across so flippantly..
Old 01-08-2024, 11:27 AM   #85
The Inventive Donatello
Banned

Quote:
Unfortunately, the loud majority speaks for all of you and there aren't enough people speaking up saying 'yo I may be a leftist or a liberal, but I'm not one of those whackos'. And most of the time it's because if you say that, they'll come after you too, or they'll label you a conservative. Or both.

Not everyone on the left is like that, but the ones that aren't are the ones that aren't 'woke'. From what I see, ALL woke people are like that. The leftists and liberals that aren't like that, aren't woke.
Fair enough. That is exactly the point I am making.

It seems like 'woke' is a pejorative to describe the most radical and extreme of leftists, on that I can agree. However, there are just as many mentalists on the other side, as Andrew and others highlight - they spend their lives espousing their intolerant agenda on a Ninja Turtles forum, of all places. They're constantly going on about wokies while lacking the self-awareness to realise they're just as bad on the opposite side of the spectrum. That's what amuses me and has amused me for years in reading this forum.

I used to like Andrew when I read his stuff. But everything he writes is tinged with bitterness about society. It is no way to live.

Andrew - lighten up son.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:28 AM   #86
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
But then you're pretty intolerant yourself, aren't you? Leo656 accused you of hating gay people.
Hating gay people? Show me the posts where I said I hated gay people. I have no problem with gay people whatsoever, or even trans. It's just when the agenda to normalize (or worse) these things in the school for small children creeps in that we have a big problem.

Quote:
I have been on here before (and have been reading the forums for decades) and you and a couple of others constantly push your bigoted agenda.
What agenda is that, exactly?

Quote:
Even having a go at anyone who dislikes Trump
You mean like myself? I don't even like Trump. Of course, if it's between him and Biden (who is just a barely alive mouthpiece for the extremist left)? Then of course he'll have my vote, but that's all.

Quote:
The reason you don't see any irony is because you are on his side of the debate. If it was someone whose views you abhor screaming 'conservative' (another pathetic word), then you'd see irony.
"Conservative" isn't a scary or even a bad label. It just means "favoring free enterprise, private ownership, and socially traditional ideas" -- all of which being good things. Oh no, so terrible! "Woke"? Now, I don't think woke quite means what it used to mean (which was just a broad sense of "let's be progressive") and is now actually fairly targeted. It's kind of the old, new "SJW." Is it virtue-signaling, is it diversity just for diversity's sake or social credit, is it the new bulge tucking swimsuit isle at Target? Oh, that's woke. No doubt about it. There isn't any confusion or obfuscation except generally by the people who are into or defend woke stuff. Because confusion and obfuscation is the name of the game with them, particularly because that's at the heart of what they've weaponized and done with everything from the language to identity politics.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:34 AM   #87
The Inventive Donatello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Hating gay people? Show me the posts where I said I hated gay people. I have no problem with gay people whatsoever, or even trans. It's just when the agenda to normalize (or worse) these things in the school for small children creeps in that we have a big problem.

What agenda is that, exactly?

You mean like myself? I don't even like Trump. Of course, if it's between him and Biden (who is just a barely alive mouthpiece for the extremist left)? Then of course he'll have my vote, but that's all.

"Conservative" isn't a scary or even a bad label. It just means "favoring free enterprise, private ownership, and socially traditional ideas" -- all of which being good things. Oh no, so terrible! "Woke"? Now, I don't think woke quite means what it used to mean (which was just a broad sense of "let's be progressive") and is now actually fairly targeted. It's kind of the old, new "SJW." Is it virtue-signaling, is it diversity just for diversity's sake or social credit, is it the new bulge tucking swimsuit isle at Target? Oh, that's woke. No doubt about it.
I actually agree with most of that - although strange to not want to interact with an actor because they display 'Trump Derangement' or whatever it is called. If you genuinely don't care about Trump why would that bother you so much to the point you wouldn't talk to De Niro (and I agree De Niro is a tit and a hypocrite, but not because of his views on Trump).

I was just struggling to come up with an abusive term for someone on the right. Left/right...it's all labels. Most people do not care about all that garbage and it's very simplistic and pigeon holes people in little boxes. It's so prevalent that I have even done it her despite hating the practice.

I totally agree with what you are saying about gay/trans and not teaching stuff to small kids. I fully agree. But I think you have more bigotry towards gay people than you even realise.

As for the agenda...come on mate. You, Cowabunga Gal and Sumac are very knowledgeable about media and entertainment. But a blind man could see the agenda you three espouse in most of your posts. It's all 'leftists' are scum (though admittedly you are a bit more diplomatic in your phrasing than those two). You three have taken over the forum now- it's unrecognisable from when I was on it before.

Last edited by The Inventive Donatello; 01-08-2024 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:36 AM   #88
The Inventive Donatello
Banned

Oh, and I agree Biden is a complete tool.

As long as you're not mixing in everyday people who are tolerant and believe in freedom - normal people - with those mental radicals who centre their lives around their sexuality, gender identity, race etc, then we have no problem.

By the way, by the same token as me 'siding with my enemies', Andrew is doing the same - because many conservatives see him as less than garbage as he is an ethnic minority.

I was trying to ignore all the political talk on here but it's in your face in almost every thread ffs thanks to the usual suspects.

Also, as stated, I realise plenty of people on the left are legitimately insane too - spoiled rich white Western feminists for example, who have a better life than I do but think I am a privileged white male just because I happen to be a man - as if there aren't multiple things that affect someone, such as mental health, class, power - rather than just gender and race. If feminism is needed anywhere it is in the Middle East where women genuinely are oppressed, but those selfish feminists don't care about women in another continent, only about themselves and their trivial first-world issues. They wouldn't last a day in Saudi Arabia. Those are the type of fakes that you should be slagging off and the type I would never align myself with. Take Megan Rapinoe for instance, a complete boot.

The point is that any kind of extremism is to be looked down on - and it exists on both 'sides' of the political spectrum.

Last edited by The Inventive Donatello; 01-08-2024 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:13 PM   #89
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:

As for the agenda...come on mate. You, Cowabunga Gal and Sumac are very knowledgeable about media and entertainment. But a blind man could see the agenda you three espouse in most of your posts. It's all 'leftists' are scum (though admittedly you are a bit more diplomatic in your phrasing than those two). You three have taken over the forum now- it's unrecognisable from when I was on it before.
While those three have gone kinda hog wild on this, this is cause and effect. The liberal crap wasn't this as blatant and ham-fisted as it is now. It's affecting every venue of entertainment where you can't get away from it even if you wanted to, and it's even affecting the Turtles in small doses. Of course people are going to notice and voice their grievances. I mean tell media and entertainment to stop being woke garbage and a message forum based on characters in media and entertainment will stop complaining about it (and probably find something else to complain about, but at least it won't be political).

The country pretty much become unrecognizable from when this forum was first created. Don't see color became it's all about color, there's multiple genders and men can give birth and have periods now.

Quote:
'I mean if we play the woke game, are you, a white man, talking DOWN to a Hispanic man (Andrew)???? How dare you. lol'

That's reductionist and doesn't make any sense, given he's displayed plenty of intolerant views.

Him being an ethnic minority isn't a get out of jail free card to behave how he likes (same as feminists and black people shouldn't get away with terrible behaviour then hide behind racism or misogyny when they are called out).

That was a bad argument by you and I think you know that hence putting it across so flippantly..
That was sarcasm based on how woke people make everything about race.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 01-08-2024, 12:19 PM   #90
The Inventive Donatello
Banned

Quote:
While those three have gone kinda hog wild on this, this is cause and effect. The liberal crap wasn't this as blatant and ham-fisted as it is now. It's affecting every venue of entertainment where you can't get away from it even if you wanted to, and it's even affecting the Turtles in small doses. Of course people are going to notice and voice their grievances.

The country pretty much become unrecognizable from when this forum was first created.

That was sarcasm based on how woke people make everything about race.
Yes, I realise. Just wanted to give it a reply anyway.

I also agree with the first part - Andrew etc are reacting to the (what you call) 'woke agenda' and expressing frustration over it. But they don't realise they're just as bad as they're displaying the same sort of unstable extremism on the other end of the spectrum. It's pretty annoying to see both sides talk bitter nonsense.

You see it on the IMDB forums - enjoyable TV shows getting rated 1 because a character was race-swapped and it's now woke. In some cases it doesn't even affect the story. Idiots like that should really grow up.

I don't think we are that far apart in views. I believe in equality and freedom for all - discarding all that (what you call) woke rubbish whereby everyone has to centre their lives and personality on an aspect of their identity (race, gender, sexuality etc).

I know a gay guy from America. However, he's just a normal guy to talk to other than being gay. He doesn't go on and on and on about it like it's the only thing that defines him. The only way I would know he is gay is if he compliments a photo I show him or something. I totally agree those type of arseholes (and on the other side white supremacists would be) are annoying.

Overall, all these political wars and social issues highlight what an irredeemable mess society is. I am so so sick of it.

Last edited by The Inventive Donatello; 01-08-2024 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:38 PM   #91
The Inventive Donatello
Banned

Anyway, I am really not here to discuss politics at all. I'd like to talk turtles and other entertainment things such as films, TV shows etc. Preferably without thinking about a character's colour or sexuality, unless relevant.

But every time I open a thread, there is one of the usual suspects complaining about something. It's so boring. I should have known better coming in here but it was the last straw.

To give some balance, I have almost finished the miniseries 'When They See Us' and it feels like one of the strongest examples I have ever seen of race propaganda. Those young boys (now middle-aged men) are treated like heroes when I believe they went in that park that night to assault people, even if they weren't guilty of rape.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:10 PM   #92
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I actually agree with most of that - although strange to not want to interact with an actor because they display 'Trump Derangement' or whatever it is called. If you genuinely don't care about Trump why would that bother you so much to the point you wouldn't talk to De Niro (and I agree De Niro is a tit and a hypocrite, but not because of his views on Trump).
That's a bit different. While I'm not a "Trump fan," TDS is a very real and super annoying phenomenon. Both things can be true at once.

Quote:
I was just struggling to come up with an abusive term for someone on the right.
Which is a little bit telling, isn't it? At worst, what... something akin to "You MAGA idiots!", right? Which always makes one wonder, why would calling someone a person who wants America to be great again be an insult? Obviously to the person saying that, who pretty obviously doesn't think America is great or needs to be "great again," I understand it would be an insult. But why to the person you're hurling it at? It's a weird thought exercise.

Quote:
By the way, by the same token as me 'siding with my enemies', Andrew is doing the same - because many conservatives see him as less than garbage as he is an ethnic minority.
I don't think that's a really perceivable thing I've experienced. Most conservatives in my generation -- and just plain most people in my generation -- were brought up to not see race. Now leftists insist that race is the most important thing to see and dwell on, and split into factions over and so on.

Quote:
I was trying to ignore all the political talk on here but it's in your face in almost every thread ffs thanks to the usual suspects.
Like Coola said, it's a thing no longer confined to, say, day-time talk shows and is now endemic to pretty much all avenues of entertainment now. People are naturally pretty upset, for example, that the mainstream comic book industry has been co-opted by either very strange women or blue-haired, feminine men who have turned the genre into a vanity piece, virtue signal palooza that bares very little resemblance to any kind of tried-and-true traditional superheroics/"let's tell a good story." Like, at all.

Quote:
I also agree with the first part - Andrew etc are reacting to the (what you call) 'woke agenda' and expressing frustration over it. But they don't realise they're just as bad as they're displaying the same sort of unstable extremism on the other end of the spectrum. It's pretty annoying to see both sides talk bitter nonsense.
I think that's part of the disconnect, right there. Leftists see conservative types making note of -- just as a random example -- "Hey look, Bud Light is using a transexual to market their brand!" as, "OMFG, look -- conservatives are LOSING THEIR MINDS over this! Hahaha!"

This is just them projecting. Most conservatives are pretty apathetic about it all. "Guess I won't support that brand then," and that's it, never to be thought about again. While leftists over some kind of a reverse equivalent example, they'd be in the streets blocking freeway lanes the next day. But always, always, it's the conservatives "LOSING THEIR MINDS!!"

Quote:
You see it on the IMDB forums
What IMDB forums? Leftists had those shut down years ago because people had rightfully a lot to say about Ghostbusters 2016. The same ones who made it so now there's no more Dislike button on Youtube because of Captain Marvel, lol... it's all pretty funny and sad at the same time.

Quote:
Anyway, I am really not here to discuss politics at all. I'd like to talk turtles and other entertainment things such as films, TV shows etc. Preferably without thinking about a character's colour or sexuality, unless relevant.
I'm sure many others like myself would love nothing more than to someday in the foreseeable future not have to talk about those things. Unfortunately, again, it's TPTB that keep bringing these things to the forefront. And has been discussed elsewhere, if they're baking the stuff into the cake, what are we supposed to do? If it's there -- right there, in the cake (whether we're talking about LGBTQ stuff in the latest issue of IDW TMNT, or April suddenly being fat and black in Mutant Mayhem) -- and we're compelled to not talk about it, or even notice it? Then this is now a left-wing echo chamber, which seems far worse to me.

Quote:
But every time I open a thread, there is one of the usual suspects complaining about something.
It's really more "noticing" than "complaining about." Which is what leftists hate. They hate that we notice things. Like the recent bit with Claudine Gay being forced to resign because people suddenly noticed she had plagiarized tons of essays over the years on her rise to become Harvard president. The problem wasn't the plagiarizing, the problem became "Plagiarism is the New Conservative Weapon," just because I guess we noticed the plagiarizing? Pretty bizarre thinking.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-08-2024 at 01:34 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 03:02 PM   #93
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
But then you're pretty intolerant yourself, aren't you? Leo656 accused you of hating gay people.
Leo656 hated all of us, actually. We disagreed on some things, sure. None of us here agree on everything and we don’t have to, just as long as we keep the discussion civil and we go back to being drinking buddies at the end of day. But for the record, I didn’t unfriend him; he unfriended me, and that’s usually how it goes.
Old 01-08-2024, 04:17 PM   #94
Mayhem
Foot Elite

For the record, Leo didn’t hate me, so I’m the special one

Quote:
"Conservative" isn't a scary or even a bad label. It just means "favoring free enterprise, private ownership, and socially traditional ideas"
The problem is, to many on that side of the political spectrum, “socially traditional ideas” means any marriage which isn’t between a man and woman is BAD, anyone who isn’t a traditional hetero man or woman is BAD (in fact they are the boogie people who are going to get you and your children), anyone supporting proper women’s rights (such as abortion) is BAD, anyone who isn’t overtly religious is BAD, anyone who thinks love thy neighbour and do unto others as you’d do yourself (you know, some of the moral and just teachings of Jesus in the Bible) is BAD… you get the picture. That might have been acceptable 60 years ago but it isn’t today. It’s all “do as I say, not as I do” and it just makes me roll my eyes.
Old 01-08-2024, 04:40 PM   #95
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
What does woke mean? First of all you have to define this pathetic term.
For most people it means retarded zealot, who virtue signals, either out of being dumb or, because, they are using "woke" talking points to prop themselves up.

Quote:
Is woke being an egalitarian, believing everyone should have the same rights, being against inherited wealth and power (eg the British Royal Family and other dynasties), against guns, believing in a welfare state, having a problem with idiots who hate others because they are different (eg they're gay, black, another ethnic minority, a woman etc)? If so, I am absolutely woke. Although I would call it decency believing in freedom and equality for all people, and everyone having the right to live how they see fit (within legal parameters).
None of this is "woke".
Its just being more or less views of a normal person (even though I disagree with some points about guns and a Royal family). Those values has been stripped away from their initial positive meanings and turned into a laughing stock by zealots, who just want to control life of other people.

Quote:
It's thanks to clowns with views like some of yours that Britain is in an even bigger state than it already was. These bigoted views led to Brexit and now look at the state we are in. The idiotic 'British is best!' gammons dragging the rest of us down with them...again.
Nothing bad about supporting your country first. Brexit was justified as in existence within European Union which is ruled by bureaucrats who have no-one to answer to, is not a good way for a country.

Quote:
The term woke is only something that an idiot who can't think for themselves would use. It's a tired buzzword that can mean anything (it's very generalised) and offers no real insight or discussion.
I can make this argument just about any other word, using the same arguments.
There is a good understanding, what term "woke" entails this days, just like "SJW", and using it doesn't really say anything about a person. Even "woke" people admit that it was hijacked by people, who use it to acquire power and money, without caring about any values.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 04:52 PM   #96
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

So who wants to take bets on which banned account "The Inventive Donatello" actually is?
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 04:57 PM   #97
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
As for me, my only agenda is to have more good stories, without insane commie zealots twisting them to fit their warped worldview and without shills crying that everything that was made before them is racist and should be remade.
I.e. without overreacting crazies replacing White character with Black, which according to those shills and zealots somehow makes it "the most important work in the world of fiction ever made" and everyone who disagrees with it somehow a Nazi.

The fact that lefties run away from this place, because, they couldn't have it as their own personal hugbox, is not my problem.
Its just shows their lack of tolerance, as well as lack of conviction, spine and the fact they were unable to use their traditional Modus Operandi here (claim that everyone who disagrees with them just about anything are nazis who should be silenced and ban them away). And that at the time, when one of the mods was their staunch ally! Which just highlights how much of snowflakes they are and that on their own individually their are neither threat nor smart.

Quote:
What extremism? I sometimes go overboard with my arguments for the sake of fun, but its never to the extremist degree. As in I don't propose destroy people who disagree with me or anything like that.
As for race-swapping characters - it is quite easy to spot, when and how it is a woke agenda and most of the time, this days, it is sadly IS a woke agenda.

Quote:
Leo656 accused you of hating gay people.
I try not to badmouth people who won't or can't answer for themselves, but I make an exception here: Leo was an ego-tripping buffoon.
He had some interesting and smart things to say, quite a lot of them in fact and was interesting to talk to, at times. But his ego was as fragile as that of 5-year old mentally challenged child.
He absolutely couldn't tolerate when people were disagree with him and flew of the handle on the spot, becoming even more annoying, insufferable and aggressive than some of the woke members of the forum. Everything he said about people should be taking with a locomotive of salt as it was painted by his perception of whether people were supporting him or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
The problem is, to many on that side of the political spectrum, “socially traditional ideas” means any marriage which isn’t between a man and woman is BAD, anyone who isn’t a traditional hetero man or woman is BAD (in fact they are the boogie people who are going to get you and your children), anyone supporting proper women’s rights (such as abortion) is BAD, anyone who isn’t overtly religious is BAD, anyone who thinks love thy neighbour and do unto others as you’d do yourself (you know, some of the moral and just teachings of Jesus in the Bible) is BAD… you get the picture.
Hilariously you just described logic of a typical "wokey" who genuinely believes that all conservative people are like that.
Majority of people, outside of some looney boonies, do not support any or most of it.

Last edited by Sumac; 01-08-2024 at 05:14 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:34 PM   #98
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:

Last edited by Cowabung-Gal; 01-08-2024 at 05:40 PM.
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:38 PM   #99
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post
So who wants to take bets on which banned account "The Inventive Donatello" actually is?
Why ban him? He seems alright.

Let's also leave Leo alone. He's not here to strike back and defend himself and he's stated several times that he no longer wants to be associated with this place or even mentioned.

Like Will Smith said 'leave Leo out of your mouth' everyone and let him move on to greener pastures.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:04 PM   #100
The Inventive Donatello
Banned

Quote:
That's a bit different. While I'm not a "Trump fan," TDS is a very real and super annoying phenomenon. Both things can be true at once.

Which is a little bit telling, isn't it? At worst, what... something akin to "You MAGA idiots!", right? Which always makes one wonder, why would calling someone a person who wants America to be great again be an insult? Obviously to the person saying that, who pretty obviously doesn't think America is great or needs to be "great again," I understand it would be an insult. But why to the person you're hurling it at? It's a weird thought exercise.

I don't think that's a really perceivable thing I've experienced. Most conservatives in my generation -- and just plain most people in my generation -- were brought up to not see race. Now leftists insist that race is the most important thing to see and dwell on, and split into factions over and so on.

Like Coola said, it's a thing no longer confined to, say, day-time talk shows and is now endemic to pretty much all avenues of entertainment now. People are naturally pretty upset, for example, that the mainstream comic book industry has been co-opted by either very strange women or blue-haired, feminine men who have turned the genre into a vanity piece, virtue signal palooza that bares very little resemblance to any kind of tried-and-true traditional superheroics/"let's tell a good story." Like, at all.

I think that's part of the disconnect, right there. Leftists see conservative types making note of -- just as a random example -- "Hey look, Bud Light is using a transexual to market their brand!" as, "OMFG, look -- conservatives are LOSING THEIR MINDS over this! Hahaha!"

This is just them projecting. Most conservatives are pretty apathetic about it all. "Guess I won't support that brand then," and that's it, never to be thought about again. While leftists over some kind of a reverse equivalent example, they'd be in the streets blocking freeway lanes the next day. But always, always, it's the conservatives "LOSING THEIR MINDS!!"

What IMDB forums? Leftists had those shut down years ago because people had rightfully a lot to say about Ghostbusters 2016. The same ones who made it so now there's no more Dislike button on Youtube because of Captain Marvel, lol... it's all pretty funny and sad at the same time.

I'm sure many others like myself would love nothing more than to someday in the foreseeable future not have to talk about those things. Unfortunately, again, it's TPTB that keep bringing these things to the forefront. And has been discussed elsewhere, if they're baking the stuff into the cake, what are we supposed to do? If it's there -- right there, in the cake (whether we're talking about LGBTQ stuff in the latest issue of IDW TMNT, or April suddenly being fat and black in Mutant Mayhem) -- and we're compelled to not talk about it, or even notice it? Then this is now a left-wing echo chamber, which seems far worse to me.

It's really more "noticing" than "complaining about." Which is what leftists hate. They hate that we notice things. Like the recent bit with Claudine Gay being forced to resign because people suddenly noticed she had plagiarized tons of essays over the years on her rise to become Harvard president. The problem wasn't the plagiarizing, the problem became "Plagiarism is the New Conservative Weapon," just because I guess we noticed the plagiarizing? Pretty bizarre thinking.

I don't even disagree with much of what you say (though you have used some strawman arguments there to imply I am solely demonising 'the right' when I am actually saying both sides are annoying.

I get your point - you're reacting to the progressive onslaught. I agree it has gone too far. But it's a slippery slope when you start talking about being 'anti woke' because a lot of people who fall in that category are genuinely racist, homophobic etc.

Do me a favour - look up Joey Barton (I could paste his tweets in here) and tell me if guys like he and Andrew Tate are who you wanna be associated with. I am sure you wanna be linked to him as much as I wanna be linked to those blue-haired feminist types who think all white men are the devil. You're better than him, but people who don't think in a complex way will group all who say anti-woke together - regardless of how extreme. Same with me being grouped with gay guys who think being gay is their entire identity in life.

I am really not your enemy - I have some sympathy for your plight...but only to a point. Extremists on both sides are annoying. And you're only really hurting yourself by caring so passionately about it. You might not realise it but it clearly affects you on a day to day basis, being this involved in the culture wars.

Don't you think you should let it go for a bit?

Either way, I do agree with some of what you are saying there (not all) and you've made some good points. I appreciate you being civil and diplomatic and not resorting to ad hominems (as you generally never do, to be fair). I just think you're far too involved here.

Edit: btw about IMDB - I never read the forums. I am talking about the reviews on stuff. It's constantly informed by pro or anti woke stuff when I just wanna know if people recommend the show or film. I'd like to read insightful, in-depth reviews not informed by politics.

Last edited by The Inventive Donatello; 01-08-2024 at 10:36 PM.