Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 05-26-2021, 07:15 AM   #1
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

TMNT: The Last Ronin Issue #3 Discussion

Issue 3 is out today.

Quote:
Unexpected allies from the past reveal a possible path to salvation! As the Foot Clan sweeps NYC for the rogue Ronin, a final desperate plan in the name of vengeance is made! Spanning decades, this issue’s action and intrigue will set up the astounding final issues!
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:33 AM   #2
AquaParade
Big Boss

Solid issue. Can't complain.
That said, it didn't excite me quite as much as the last two issues.

Partly, I think I'm ready to see the story move forward and get out of the lair, despite the flashbacks being pretty cool, and clearly integral to the story.

Secondly, I had a bit of trouble following this issue, but maybe that's on me. I couldn't exactly tell what was going on with the "strikers" and Baxter in relation to the parley with Shredder. Like, I get the gist of it, but I had a hard time following what was going on for a couple pages.

The characters still feel and sound like the Mirage versions, to me at least, and that goes a long way. The interactions between Leo and Casey just felt right. That said, I could go without the constant Easter eggs. Mostly, they just take me out of the story. Yeah, I remember when Casey said your class is "pain 101". It was great in the movie, but I can't help but think of South Park "member-berries" when he says it here.
On the other hand, "Goongala, Goongala!" felt just right.

So, another awesome issue of TMNT: The Last Ronin - a book I'm very glad to have. Probably my least favorite of the three though.

Minor nitpick: you can tell the book is a bit behind because this issue was the second time I noticed a bit of "clipping", I guess you could call it. When Leo is attacking the Foot on the staircase, his sword hilt appears to be going directly through the handrail. Small panel, but I found it distracting. We also saw in the first issue, there is a foot warrior holding a weapon in his hand, that doesn't fit quite right, and appears to have the weapon protruding from his fingers slightly. Like I said, nitpicks, but I have to admit I'm surprised that the artists wouldn't notice and take a few minutes to correct.

Last edited by AquaParade; 05-26-2021 at 07:41 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #3
AquaParade
Big Boss

I re-read it and my enjoyment went up. It really is a good issue. Forgot to mention how great the book looks. Everyone on the book is firing on all cylinders.
I think the only way this book really suffers is in comparison to Frank Miller's work, which it's hard not to compare it to. Most comics suffer in comparison to Frank Miller though and this is top-notch stuff.

I only wish the wait for issue #4 wasn't so long, but I'll be sure to check Tom's twitter for previews.

Btw Tom, I'd be curious as to what type of impact, if any, this book is having over at Nickelodeon/Viacom, if you can speak to that at all.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Btw Tom, I'd be curious as to what type of impact, if any, this book is having over at Nickelodeon/Viacom, if you can speak to that at all.
I'd be shocked if it had any impact whatsoever. Definitely not enough to shake Nick from their "TMNT is a brand that's only for selling toys to little kids" approach.

If anything, once every two years or so we might get another "edgy" TMNT comic book (unless IDW loses the license or something). But I'd be shocked if it went beyond that.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #5
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'd be shocked if it had any impact whatsoever. Definitely not enough to shake Nick from their "TMNT is a brand that's only for selling toys to little kids" approach.

If anything, once every two years or so we might get another "edgy" TMNT comic book (unless IDW loses the license or something). But I'd be shocked if it went beyond that.
My guess would generally be the same.

But since Tom actually works for them, I'd value his opinion over my own.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

• Is Hiroto a fashion diva? Seems like every time we see this dude he's in a different outfit.
  • I wonder what those markings on Baxter's forehead are, some kind of implant?
  • Baxter also wears a Big Kahuna Burger shirt, makes me wonder if he's meant to resemble Sam Jackson.
  • I wonder what Baxter wants with the Fugitoid?
  • April is going to experiment on Mike's blood, any ideas of where that could lead?
  • The tank is giving me serious flashbacks to SAINW
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #7
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I’d love to know this too. Tom seemed pretty optimistic about the doors this might open for the franchise shortly after issue 1 was released.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:04 PM   #8
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

So my grandson conquered New York! Iam proud of him! He must be the son of 2003 Karai and Chaplin becuase only she is married most recently while the others dont except the mirrage Karai. Now we control New York and soon the world!
Old 05-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #9
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
So my grandson conquered New York! Iam proud of him! He must be the son of 2003 Karai and Chaplin becuase only she is married most recently while the others dont except the mirrage Karai. Now we control New York and soon the world!
I've been away for a while and you're still doing this cringy roleplay no one cares about...? Alright...

Anyway, good issue as always.
I had a bit of a confusion when the Foot and Strikers attacked, i didn't know if they were meant to be enemies or allies and what Baxter wanted and what it had to do with everything.

I wonder what happens to Mikey due to his odd mutation, perhaps it's like MGS4 with the accelerated aging thing, or maybe he will eventually mutate back into a regular turtle, or maybe he will mutate bigger and uglier over time and perhaps losing his sanity along with it.
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:26 PM   #10
Kyo Hisagi
Random Punk

I wonder if there's a certain someone among Turtles/Foot Clan who doesn't want them to come to an agreement. This is the second time the truce was broken. Something is very fishy.
Kyo Hisagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:39 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

I wonder if anyone accepts Hiroto as a god?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:21 PM   #12
DK2
Stone Warrior

I agree with the other comments here that some things are still vague, Baxter, fugitoid, etc, and it had less "umph" in this issue too. But it was nice to get to see what April's been through and what happened to two other characters. I was kinda surprised it seemed in the flashbacks at this point, the turtles and splinter have their own group/clan it seems? That was kinda strange to see imo. Other than that it's still fun read overall.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:15 AM   #13
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
idk in this issue he comes off too much like Kylo Ren.

Admin of Turtlepedia. If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:08 PM   #14
rs_jr
Random Punk

it seems like a mirage comic but i guess its not given in mirage don,leo and raph live to an old age.

I am enjoying but i just hope they don't use mickeys blood to mutate cases daughter and her friends into new mutants given how idw loves giving use more and more mutating mutants in their comics
rs_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #15
slashpieturtlemix
Mad Scientist

I literally bought issue 1 today because of you guys I was trying hard to hold back for a trade as usual but I can't do it anymore.

Youtube channel that talks about TMNT, Gundam, Pumpkin Plants, Finances, G I Joe, Transformers and move: https://www.youtube.com/user/hkohles1

https://www.ebay.com/usr/kohlesgoods

https://www.facebook.com/hkohles1
slashpieturtlemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:46 PM   #16
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashpieturtlemix View Post
I literally bought issue 1 today because of you guys I was trying hard to hold back for a trade as usual but I can't do it anymore.
Curious to hear what ya think.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #17
TomWaltz
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Gozer does.

Talk soon...

Tom W.
TomWaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:45 PM   #18
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Tom,

Any insight on what impact the success of The Last Ronin will have on future TMNT stories across all mediums? I'm curious if this has shown Nickelodeon/Viacom that there is a market for this type of TMNT story.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:55 PM   #19
TomWaltz
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Tom,

Any insight on what impact the success of The Last Ronin will have on future TMNT stories across all mediums? I'm curious if this has shown Nickelodeon/Viacom that there is a market for this type of TMNT story.
Honestly, I couldn't say. Not because I won't... but because I sincerely don't know. But I do know that behind the scenes, generally speaking, everyone is extremely happy with the sales success and the amazing response from fans, old and new.

What that amounts to in the short- and long-terms for TMNT, we'll just have to wait and see. I think everyone's just waiting to see how we wrap up the series.

I'm as excited by the possibilities as anyone, that much I do know.

Talk soon...

Tom W.
TomWaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:17 PM   #20
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaltz View Post
Honestly, I couldn't say. Not because I won't... but because I sincerely don't know. But I do know that behind the scenes, generally speaking, everyone is extremely happy with the sales success and the amazing response from fans, old and new.

What that amounts to in the short- and long-terms for TMNT, we'll just have to wait and see. I think everyone's just waiting to see how we wrap up the series.

I'm as excited by the possibilities as anyone, that much I do know.

Talk soon...

Tom W.
Fair enough. At the bare minimum I hope this leads to more comics in this universe as I know you've teased potential prequels/sequels.

Looking forward to the conclusion - I'm guessing Issue 5 will hit in November.