The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

It is weird the Turtles have food in their refigerator and drinks and stuff. That's fresh food look like it was bought in the supermarket, not found in the garbage or storm drains or whatever.

April and Casey are always portrayed as poor as hell in every universe, so they sure don't have the extra money to feed 4 more teenage boys. I don't know where they get the food from.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #42
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Maybe some of it is stuff that's just past expiration date (but still edible) that local stores tossed out. For fresher stuff... even if their friends are not well off, well, coupons exist and they might, as I said before, no doubt be pros at spotting loose change and dropped dollars to be able to contribute to their friends willing to pick up a few things for them. (Plus being able to afford delivery/take out, the pizza or otherwise.)

In terms of moral gray area, since it's technically shop lifting (and I'd like to think they'd at least feel a little guilty for having no other choice), they might also know what days local stores tend to get their stock deliveries. Then swipe a case or two from the truck when the employees' backs are turned.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #43
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It is weird the Turtles have food in their refigerator and drinks and stuff. That's fresh food look like it was bought in the supermarket, not found in the garbage or storm drains or whatever.

April and Casey are always portrayed as poor as hell in every universe, so they sure don't have the extra money to feed 4 more teenage boys. I don't know where they get the food from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Maybe some of it is stuff that's just past expiration date (but still edible) that local stores tossed out. For fresher stuff... even if their friends are not well off, well, coupons exist and they might, as I said before, no doubt be pros at spotting loose change and dropped dollars to be able to contribute to their friends willing to pick up a few things for them. (Plus being able to afford delivery/take out, the pizza or otherwise.)

In terms of moral gray area, since it's technically shop lifting (and I'd like to think they'd at least feel a little guilty for having no other choice), they might also know what days local stores tend to get their stock deliveries. Then swipe a case or two from the truck when the employees' backs are turned.
Look at that pizza.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...316768ddf5f3d4

Link doesn't want to work without paper subscription but anyway photo attached. It was about freegans.

nom nom nom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7685.jpg (98.0 KB, 19 views)
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:21 PM   #44
Ninjinister
無問題

In the early Mirage days I would say it might be tough but after the first cartoon I'm sure they made bank off dat merch.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 PM   #45
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

Or swipe from the local food pantries. They would take enough to throw off the inventory somewhat, but not so much that it couldn't be replaced.

In the Fred Wolf series it's any sort of guess as to how the turtles are able to pay for stuff.

2k3 I would wager they do get some monitory compensation for doing some manual assistance for April and some of their other allies. since we do see the turtles snag some hot dogs during the episode when Usagi arrives in New York and then a few dollars drop from the sky.

And in the first Justice Force episode we see Don ask Casey to help him get that flying toy from that comic book store.

2k12 maybe they scrimpt a lot of the occasional money that falls down the sewers. Murakami seems to give them Pizza Gyoza on the house since he says he wasn't popular before he invented that dish for them
Old 07-21-2017, 06:30 AM   #46
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

April and Irma in the 1987-1996 series weren't so poor (even if they weren't superrich either). The problem is more before they met them.

As when it comes to the refigerator in the sewers, Donatello can fix most things.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #47
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Yep that works. Not sure everyone would agree but that's valid at least for the 2007 movie.
I remember being a little bit satisfied with this when the 2007 movie came out but it still sort of still begs to ask where they got money before that? Doesn't seem they had been doing it before they stopped fighting crime.
Also when they're younger how did Splinter get cash? I can't imagine the turtles as kids being able to support themselves on their own.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #48
snake
Disgusting

Stealing seems the most likely. I really wanna know where Donnie gets all his sh*t from.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #49
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Stealing seems the most likely. I really wanna know where Donnie gets all his sh*t from.
In Mirage/4kids he's a junkyard picker, which only goes so far, but it's something. Figure April fills in the blanks with cheap tech.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:54 PM   #50
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I know it's old, don't hit me. Think it was recently mentioned again somewhere(?) how they afford stuff, but this was the most recent thread I could find on the topic.

Just wanted to add that this must be part of it.

Quote:
Researchers from Arizona State University analyzed sewage sludge—the stuff left behind after treating raw sewage—with a mass spectrometer, and found that a city of a million people gives out $13 million worth of metal annually—and $2.6 million of it is silver and gold.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...sewers/384749/
NYC is a city of how many millions? With help from Donnie's ingenuity to set up a way to collect it (and avoiding doing a lot of really gross panning by hand), these guys are secretly richer than we know.

Clean it up, melt it down in the case of small fragments, then put on a disguise to go pawn it...
Old 04-15-2021, 11:06 PM   #51
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

They find lost wallets and loose change? Mikeys Stand is Harvest.
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #52
Mr_riddler
Random Punk

In issue 2, of the volume 4 of mirage, we can see than Donnie found an abandoned armored car, full of corpses and with a lot of money inside, i guess is not the first time they found corpses with money.

Spoiler:
Old 05-02-2021, 07:42 PM   #53
Prowler
Emperor

Oddly, I've never given this question much thought.

They only really need money to buy food, to be fair. Everything else they have is most likely stuff they've found abandoned and brought home for Donatello to fix.

Ordering pizza as often as they do can be quite expensive, though. And to make your own pizzas, you need ingredients. In the 1987 series you see them wearing those disguises at the supermarket in the first season 2 episode. But you never see that in the 2k3 series for example. Then again, they don't eat pizza in that series.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:12 PM   #54
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
But you never see that in the 2k3 series for example. Then again, they don't eat pizza in that series.
That show should have touched on it at least a little how they go about it. After they all finally regrouped and were at the old water treatment plant, didn't someone (Leo?) go pickup Chinese or something like that for everyone? They surely shopped and wore disguises more than we ever got to see.

Which is a shame, because one of the only times we ever saw it (when they got into the Purple Dragons headquarters) was sort of adorable. Those should have been figures.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #55
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

You're guessing about April , for all we know she earns a decent living

Dunno bout Casey though

A lot of edible food is thrown away (400 tons/yr in Norway alone !) and its plausible they take some of it

"Ordering pizza as often as they do can be quite expensive, though"

I know from personal experience , ate way too much take away in US.......

"Then again, they don't eat pizza in that series"

They might not have been pizza obsessed but I'm sure they ate em now and then (off screen)

Last edited by Hamato Yoshi; 05-15-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #56
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Why would anyone assume Mirage TMNT wouldn't primarily just be eating things like slugs and spiders and stuff? Why would they have a human's sense of cuisine?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:52 PM   #57
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Well , I did see one of them drinking a beer though
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:47 PM   #58
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamato Yoshi View Post
You're guessing about April , for all we know she earns a decent living

Dunno bout Casey though

A lot of edible food is thrown away (400 tons/yr in Norway alone !) and its plausible they take some of it

"Ordering pizza as often as they do can be quite expensive, though"

I know from personal experience , ate way too much take away in US.......

"Then again, they don't eat pizza in that series"

They might not have been pizza obsessed but I'm sure they ate em now and then (off screen)
Oh sure. They probably até Pizza occasionally off screen. But it wasn't ever shown because Peter Laid most likely said it so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Why would anyone assume Mirage TMNT wouldn't primarily just be eating things like slugs and spiders and stuff? Why would they have a human's sense of cuisine?
So basically they have the same diet as ordinary turtles? Eh, doubtful. They're way larger and more physically active than ordinary turtles are. They need good fuel to fight all those goes. I doubt slugs, spiders and beetles would provide them enough nutrients to build muscle and stay in shape.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:24 PM   #59
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamato Yoshi View Post
Well , I did see one of them drinking a beer though
I don't see what one thing has to do with the other. They probably get a case of beer that "falls off the truck" once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
So basically they have the same diet as ordinary turtles? Eh, doubtful. They're way larger and more physically active than ordinary turtles are. They need good fuel to fight all those goes. I doubt slugs, spiders and beetles would provide them enough nutrients to build muscle and stay in shape.
Basically they'd eat whatever is around available to them with a minimum of stealing. Rats, bugs, pigeons, you name it. Why wouldn't they? Tons of proteins. And why would something with 0 human DNA definitely be craving human food? I've occasionally thrown a rat or a slug into my red earred slider tank... they immediately play tug of war with the body gleefully.

I'm not saying once In a blue moon they wouldn't somehow splurge on something like a pizza... just it couldn't possibly be the big deal that people perennially like to make it out to be. In Mirage.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:41 PM   #60
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't see what one thing has to do with the other. They probably get a case of beer that "falls off the truck" once in a while.

Basically they'd eat whatever is around available to them with a minimum of stealing. Rats, bugs, pigeons, you name it. Why wouldn't they? Tons of proteins. And why would something with 0 human DNA definitely be craving human food? I've occasionally thrown a rat or a slug into my red earred slider tank... they immediately play tug of war with the body gleefully.

I'm not saying once In a blue moon they wouldn't somehow splurge on something like a pizza... just it couldn't possibly be the big deal that people perennially like to make it out to be. In Mirage.
Eating rats is a bit unsettling considering their master is a rat himself lmao. But I can imagine them eating pigeons, sure.

Maybe not crave it. But since they've gained human intelligence and learned about the outside world from watching TV and going out occasionally, stuff humans eat might have piqued their curiosity, and once they tried it they began enjoying it and thus craving it as well.

Kinda reminds me of that Calvin and Hobbes sunday strip where Hobbes complains to Calvin that his dad gave him ice cream to which Calvin says "dad says tigers don't like ice cream" to which Hobbes replies "tigers will only know if they like ice cream if all of them try it first". So maybe the same applies to mutant turtles