The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #1
d3m01iti0n
Random Punk

Rick and Morty

Anybody watch this new show? Its hilarious. Its been on hiatus for a month but new episodes soon.
d3m01iti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Anybody up on season 4? I didn't care for the dragon/talking cat one but pound for pound pretty good! And they finally did time travel.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Yes, Rick and Morty is pretty great.

As for season 4:
Death Crystal episode was pretty funny, I liked how Morty ended up so obsessed that he didn't question wheter or the future was even worth the price, no matter how out of hand it got.
Rick getting mad that someone used his toilet was pretty great, the parts with Jerry and Morty were a bit lame but Summer's hook-ups was a good subplot.
Honestly kind of hate the Heist episode, it's all just the same joke about the heist movie formula over and over again, at least Vindicators derived its jokes from how the superhero genre tends to contrive conflict/drama in stupid ways (even if the punchlines were just pointless murders).
I know the Slutty Dragons episode gets a lot of hate but it's still pretty funny to me ("WE LIKE DOWN HERE CAUSE WE CAN **** WOOLLY MAMMOTHS!")
Time Travel Snakes, kinda has the same problem as Heist and Vindicators in that it's just an excuse to diss a genre, but at least the jokes hit much better and primarily being a Terminator parody helps the focus.

And I kinda want to deal with the show's attitude towards time travel on it's own. Dan Harmon has said he likes to avoid time travel because it's inherently confusing and the snake episode is clearly meant to illustrate that, but the thing is that it's really not as inherent as he thinks. The Terminator series as a whole is indeed confusing because the rules of what they can do cahnge from movie to movie, but the original isn't confusing at all, it's a straight timeloop. That's the problem with most bad time travel stories, inconsistant or ambigious rules. Rick and Morty can be excused because it's intentional for the sake of a joke but the criticism that it's inherent isn't a valid one. If you want to make a decent time travel story, just make it clear by creating a guide answering questions like:
  • Can the past be changed?
  • Is there only one timeline or many?
  • How does the time travel impact the traveller?
Just add as many questions as you can think of and you should be fine.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Hype for this show seems to have completely died, I didn't even know there was a new season until it showed up on Netflix, no one is talking about it after the fad that came during season 3. Overall I think these 5 episodes were similar to season 3 where they're ok, but they lack the charm of the first two seasons.

They try a bit too hard with the "look how random we are", and it's no longer as amusing, in the past they played with certain themes which I feel isn't done as much. Still had fun watching them but this isn't the show I fell in love with those first two seasons.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Hype for this show seems to have completely died, I didn't even know there was a new season until it showed up on Netflix, no one is talking about it after the fad that came during season 3. Overall I think these 5 episodes were similar to season 3 where they're ok, but they lack the charm of the first two seasons.

They try a bit too hard with the "look how random we are", and it's no longer as amusing, in the past they played with certain themes which I feel isn't done as much. Still had fun watching them but this isn't the show I fell in love with those first two seasons.

I knew this show had a crazy following but I've never seen it.
I did not know that it was on Netflix.

Maybe I'll check it out. I know that the Rick and Morty comic book has decent aftermarket legs, which is crazy.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:54 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The latest episode of season 5 (episode 4)... was it just me? The first 4 episodes of this season were fantastic but this was... mostly just gross and unfunny? This had to be a different writer or writing team.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:29 PM   #7
Dpooly84
Banned

Go to YouTube look up the legion of skanks reading the texts, they are a group of comedians; very raunchy and dirty stuff, but it was so funny. If he's a creep let him get what's coming to him but without context I will withhold judgement.
Dpooly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:38 PM   #8
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Something I keep thinking about: the alleged incident occurred around three years ago. I wonder, did he really keep this to himself all that time? If he knew he was in the wrong, I could see that being the case. But if he felt like he was being wrongly prosecuted or something, he would probably confide in those he is close to. I'm just wondering if anyone else had this knowledge these three past years.

I dunno, the whole thing just makes me think about the whole "separating the art from the artist" debate
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:56 PM   #9
member_removed
Hench Mutant

I've never watched Rick and Morty.

But I've watched all of Solar Opposites, for which he is a credited co-creator and lead actor.

Looks like Hulu/Disney/21st century have finally made the decision to cut ties with Roiland as well.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2023/01/h...ustin-roiland/

No, you take the ugly one!

I'll take the ugly one!

Which one's the ugly one?
member_removed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:48 PM   #10
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by member_removed View Post
I've never watched Rick and Morty.

But I've watched all of Solar Opposites, for which he is a credited co-creator and lead actor.

Looks like Hulu/Disney/21st century have finally made the decision to cut ties with Roiland as well.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2023/01/h...ustin-roiland/
Everyone is cutting ties with him so fast, you think he voted for Trump and kissed JK Rowling.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:52 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Seems very hasty to me. Anyone anywhere can be accused of anything, anytime by anyone. By the time the next season of Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites come out we should know if he's guilty or innocent so couldn't we just wait for that? He needs to be fired, like immediately? Adult Swim and Hulu could just put up a statement -- if ANYTHING -- and just be like, "We are actively monitoring the situation with Mr. Roiland." If he's guilty? Fine, fired, right there and then. If they get sh** about "why are you guys working with a woman beater?" the answer is, "thank you for the question. The answer is that we don't know if he's guilty yet."

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-26-2023 at 06:12 PM.