The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 11-20-2022, 10:03 AM   #1
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Unhappy R.I.P. Jason David Frank

It is with great sadness that Jason David Frank, best known for playing Tommy Oliver in the Power Rangers franchise committed suicide at 49. A representative for the actor has confirmed it and so have various Power Rangers alumni. He has been a childhood hero to so many people including me and my best friend. R.I.P.

'POWER RANGERS' JASON DAVID FRANK
DEAD BY SUICIDE AT 49

Here are other sources.

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2022/...nk-dead-at-49/

https://geekireland.com/has-power-ra...id-frank-died/

Last edited by ranger_scout; 11-21-2022 at 09:23 PM. Reason: I forgot a period in the title.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:14 AM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

Very surprised to see this on Facebook this morning. Frank had accumulated a somewhat small but excited following from the Valiant comics community just for appearing as a great-looking Bloodshot in a promotional movie that was shot for the I.P. several years ago.

To be honest, his low budget Bloodshot looked better on-screen than any single from the Vin Diesel movie did. Vin Diesel did an entire Vin Diesel movie called "Bloodshot" as Vin Diesel, but Frank was on-screen as Bloodshot for maybe 1 minute and was Bloodshot.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:29 AM   #3
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

It is so eerie that I met two of my childhood icons, Adam West and Jason David Frank, at Fan Expo Dallas the same weekend in 2017 and now they are the first two celebrities I've met who are dead.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:32 AM   #4
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

It's really tragic when it happens this way, first Thuy Trang died in a horrific car accident, now this. Well, may you rest well in heaven Jason David Frank, and say hello to Thuy Trang when you're there.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:23 AM   #5
ZariusTwo
Overlord

If you watch any episode of Power Rangers on Youtube tonight, watch Dino Thunder's "Fighting Spirit", it's a perfect tribute to him, the end hits different now.

RIP
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:52 AM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

Does anyone suspect why he did it?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:13 PM   #7
Xav
Foot Elite

I don't know but some are supecting it may have to do with his recent divorce.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:36 PM   #8
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Amy Jo Johnson (Kimberly Hart, Pink Ranger) released a statement.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClMgFbQu4hY/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
I don't know but some are supecting it may have to do with his recent divorce.
The divorce was apparently very ugly.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/08/23/power...fair-adultery/
Old 11-21-2022, 12:54 AM   #9
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I was watching some old interviews from the 2010s, he credited his now ex-wife with getting him into religion after his brother died in 2001. Falling out with her might have been enough to shatter his faith.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:05 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The "falling out" looks like he was caught cheating, his wife threatened (and possibly did) to take the farm and then this happened.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:15 AM   #11
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

such sad news.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 02:24 AM   #12
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

This month just isn't getting any better. First Kevin Conroy and now JDF. Man, rest in piece. You were a sweet man who I wished I could've met.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 08:51 AM   #13
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Awful news. I literally gasped when I read it.

Got to meet him a couple of years ago, and, while I know that the faces we wear in public often belie what's going on in our heads/hearts, he really seemed like a genuinely well-put together person; always inspiring others with kind words and laughter. I guess we never really know the level of other's pain.

I hope that he (being one of my all-time heroes) has peace, thoughts and prayers for his family.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:58 PM   #14
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Amy Jo Johnson did a Livestream and it was heartbreaking. You can truly see how much emotional pain she's feeling.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/ClO6d2bJ6J9/

She's right that there are ways out of this situation and taking your life isn't one of them.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:41 PM   #15
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Without a doubt, this sucks. It might be hard watching anything with him in it after this.

One of my cousins took her life back in June, and it's something you never expect to happen in your family.

May he rest in peace.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:15 PM   #16
Turo602
The King of Kings

Been a Green Ranger fan my whole life, started following the guy on Facebook when he started working with batinthesun and he just seemed like such a bright and positive guy who took being a celebrity seriously by being a role model. I've always heard how great he was with his fans and I know he was a man of faith so it just feels like such a gut punch to know how it ended. This whole thing has just been so surreal. I saw him trending that midnight hoping it was a hoax because of how out of left field it was but as the night continued, it just seemed less and less likely to be one.

I heard about the divorce and that he cheated months ago, and she apparently wanted to take the house and car. It's hard to imagine he'd take his life over fortune, so I can only imagine what kind of demons he was struggling with. I know he missed his brother very much and always posted about him, and I think his mom died a while ago as well. What I didn't know was that his step daughter had committed suicide just last year which could have factored into his marital issues. But as religious as he was, I wonder if the whole spiraling situation just broke him.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:38 PM   #17
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Been a Green Ranger fan my whole life, started following the guy on Facebook when he started working with batinthesun and he just seemed like such a bright and positive guy who took being a celebrity seriously by being a role model. I've always heard how great he was with his fans and I know he was a man of faith so it just feels like such a gut punch to know how it ended. This whole thing has just been so surreal. I saw him trending that midnight hoping it was a hoax because of how out of left field it was but as the night continued, it just seemed less and less likely to be one.

I heard about the divorce and that he cheated months ago, and she apparently wanted to take the house and car. It's hard to imagine he'd take his life over fortune, so I can only imagine what kind of demons he was struggling with. I know he missed his brother very much and always posted about him, and I think his mom died a while ago as well. What I didn't know was that his step daughter had committed suicide just last year which could have factored into his marital issues. But as religious as he was, I wonder if the whole spiraling situation just broke him.
People who score high on religiosity scales sometimes begin to interpret the "infinite forgiveness" in a manner that suits themselves. By order of events, they then rationalize the "going to a better place" to actually enable the suicide. I'm an Irish-Catholic guy, but even I know that this is why the "suicide = instant hell" was adopted by the church. It was the only way to counter "infinite forgiveness" for anything.

It's unlikely he needed a way out because he felt "destitute". More likely that the series of cascading events painted an inescapable picture to him for personal psychology xyz.
Old 11-21-2022, 05:08 PM   #18
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
People who score high on religiosity scales sometimes begin to interpret the "infinite forgiveness" in a manner that suits themselves. By order of events, they then rationalize the "going to a better place" to actually enable the suicide. I'm an Irish-Catholic guy, but even I know that this is why the "suicide = instant hell" was adopted by the church. It was the only way to counter "infinite forgiveness" for anything.

It's unlikely he needed a way out because he felt "destitute". More likely that the series of cascading events painted an inescapable picture to him for personal psychology xyz.
That's why I brought up his family. He could have seen suicide as a way of reuniting with the loved ones he lost, especially in what can be perceived as his lowest moment spiritually. It's just hard to make sense of any of it because how bad could his divorce really have been for him to take his life? That is assuming that was the cause of it. It just sucks when the people you least expect end up being the one to take their own life. Even more tragic considering I think he had tried to reach out to some friends before he did it too.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:27 PM   #19
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
That's why I brought up his family. He could have seen suicide as a way of reuniting with the loved ones he lost, especially in what can be perceived as his lowest moment spiritually. It's just hard to make sense of any of it because how bad could his divorce really have been for him to take his life? That is assuming that was the cause of it. It just sucks when the people you least expect end up being the one to take their own life. Even more tragic considering I think he had tried to reach out to some friends before he did it too.
YYYup.

I wonder if more will come out about the situation with time, or if that's pretty much that.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:26 PM   #20
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I would've thought the mere belief in the existence of "infinite punishment" (which I don't believe in) is what's used to justify countering belief in "infinite forgiveness".
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote