The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-17-2021, 10:15 PM   #301
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Thought that was a good post, eh Chosen One?
Good lord.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:23 PM   #302
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Siro, taja and vorpex need to be in the sequel
Hah, Daniel Bernhardt in the upper left... he's in like EVERY action movie these days. I keep spotting him everywhere. He usually is given a part like "Head Thug," but he's usually in charge of stunts and action choreography. You can spot him in "Nobody," Birds of Prey, just about all of the John Wick movies, and I just spotted him in Statham's "Parker." Sometimes he's not even credited but once you have his face in your brain, you'll start noticing him.

So how does Mortal Kombat: Conquest work with the original 2 movies? Does it "fit" with them?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:46 PM   #303
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't think Conquest fits with anything at all, honestly.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:57 PM   #304
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I don't think Conquest fits with anything at all, honestly.
I thought Conquest was supposed to deal with the first Kung Lao...but thinking back...yeah, it wouldn't fit in, especially with how they did Scorpion and Sub Zero for that.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:01 PM   #305
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I was always curious about it when I was in high school.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:10 PM   #306
Leo656
The Franchise

I used to catch a little bit of it since it was on close to WCW Nitro (and both Wrath and Meng had guest-star shots on it, because Corporate Cross-Promotion), but I can't say I ever watched it religiously.

I do wanna get the DVD, though. By all accounts it's a decent Xena ripoff that at least pays passable lip service to the MK franchise, despite some glaring discrepancies with the canon lore. And from some pictures I've seen, there's some smokin' hotties on that show so I'll probably be entertained even if it ain't that good.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:16 PM   #307
sdp
-

Conquest is part of the Mortal Kombat movie timeline,it was promoted as such, the prequel to the film. There's inconsistencies but also in the direct sequel and the other prequel so no issues. We have to assume that Scorpion is a different Scorpion from the movie and that sub zero is a name that is passed on, which is sort of canon to the games so it works. I personally love Conquest but I'm a sucker for any Xena type show.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:35 PM   #308
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Conquest is part of the Mortal Kombat movie timeline,it was promoted as such, the prequel to the film.
That's kind of what I remember. "See how it all began!" or something like that.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:21 AM   #309
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
In all seriousness, though, I'm not sure he'd like to see the kind of roles non-Caucasian actors would get in such an event, considering the likely (and quite a bit more textual than subtextual) inspiration for the orcs and the various Eastern peoples of Middle-Earth...
Don't tell me, you believe this ******** about orcs being based on blacks?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:44 AM   #310
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I used to catch a little bit of it since it was on close to WCW Nitro (and both Wrath and Meng had guest-star shots on it, because Corporate Cross-Promotion), but I can't say I ever watched it religiously.

I do wanna get the DVD, though. By all accounts it's a decent Xena ripoff that at least pays passable lip service to the MK franchise, despite some glaring discrepancies with the canon lore. And from some pictures I've seen, there's some smokin' hotties on that show so I'll probably be entertained even if it ain't that good.
I actually loved how Wrath and Meng were in it, and during a similar timeframe on the same channel, one of the demons summoned on Charmed was Buff Bagwell.

I always saw it as part of Hollywood Hogan's promise for more tv spots and whatever for anyone siding with him cause Hollywood got the connections and all that jazz. When I saw Buff on Charmed I was like 'damn, Hogan was serious, yo'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:16 AM   #311
sdp
-

Conquest reminded me of a live action Pirates of Darkwater series for some reason. I loved that while changing mythologies they never shied away from the mythical elements of the franchise. It wasn't as cheesy as other hercules clones, it had a nice balance. I'd love a new show even if it took the route of Konquest side games from the 2000 era MK games where you control a random person who just happens to meet all the other fighters because reasons.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #312
Sumac
Banned

Conquest was kind of "edgier" and "sexier" take on MK mythos and, I think, it was not that bad. Though, to be honest I barely remember anything about the series, except its finale, for obvious reasons.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #313
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Thought that was a good post, eh Chosen One?
Good lord.
I know, ridiculous, innit? But hey, don't look at me, it's the guy's own idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
It's not ******** if it's in the text. And not blacks in particular, no. Middle Easterners, some of whom happen to be black.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:23 PM   #314
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
It's not ******** if it's in the text. And not blacks in particular, no. Middle Easterners, some of whom happen to be black.
If your first thought while seeing orcs is "black people / middle easterners", boy, you have a problem.

Also, Tolkien arguably based orcs on Mongol hoards.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #315
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
If your first thought while seeing orcs is "black people / middle easterners", boy, you have a problem.
And again with the "black people" thing... Ugh. Maybe that's your first thought.

Can you quote the post where I said that's the first thing I, myself, see when I look at them? Or more to the point, read about them? Go on, I'll wait.

Quote:
Also, Tolkien arguably based orcs on Mongol hoards.
You seem to have your fantasy authors and fictional races mixed up.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:07 PM   #316
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
And again with the "black people" thing... Ugh. Maybe that's your first thought.
"No, U!" is a pretty bad defense.

As I said, if your first thought that orcs are mean caricature of some existing people - you've got problems.

Quote:
Can you quote the post where I said that's the first thing I, myself, see when I look at them? Or more to the point, read about them? Go on, I'll wait.
Quote:
considering the likely (and quite a bit more textual than subtextual) inspiration for the orcs and the various Eastern peoples of Middle-Earth...
Well?

Quote:
You seem to have your fantasy authors and fictional races mixed up.
Ask and ye shall receive:
Quote:
In 1958 Tolkien responded to a film proposal that treated his orcs as fantasy creatures with “beaks and feathers.” Correcting this imagery, he wrote to describe his orcs as “squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes: in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types.
Link
Old 05-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #317
AquaParade
Banned

I like Vorpax.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #318
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
That's what the current Star Trek people are being reactionary with with the Klingons. Now everyone that is a white actor is a blue or purple Klingon, and only black actors can be brown skinned Klingons. Thus implying that they are trying to make up for 50 years of blackface, in their eyes.

Insanity.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:23 PM   #319
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's what the current Star Trek people are being reactionary with with the Klingons. Now everyone that is a white actor is a blue or purple Klingon, and only black actors can be brown skinned Klingons. Thus implying that they are trying to make up for 50 years of blackface, in their eyes.

Insanity.
It's just a manipulation tactic to hurt others and better their positions. Honestly, the only reason these people get results is because of leadership cowardice to shut them down right then and there. That's it. People are afraid of being called a racist and also people legitimately want to give consideration to others, but it's way off base now. It's typical of "hoodrat culture". Give an inch, so a mile is taken. There is no real equity - if these manipulators wanted to be part of a normally operating society we wouldn't need manipulated equity. They would simply be here doing there thing, having successes or taking their lumps with the rest of us.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #320
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
As I said, if your first thought that orcs are mean caricature of some existing people - you've got problems.
I'm still waiting for you to point out where exactly I said that.

And apparently Mongols don't exist... Odd.

Have you ever read the books? Even in the movies, what do you suppose, say, the Haradrim, were based on? Australians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I like Vorpax.
Everyone likes Vorpax. She's not always happy about it.