The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #41
AquaParade
Banned

I just realized that Mikey using the tonfa must be a throwback to the first ninja turtle Kevin Eastman ever drew. Full circle. Pretty neat.

Ben Bishop took the reigns for most of this issue and did a great job. I can comfortably say I underestimated him based on past work I'd seen. That shows me. Still, I'm even more eager to see the Escorza bro's get another chance to finish up Kevin's action scene layouts. I think they're going to absolutely kill it on some of the upcoming battle scenes. There is an intensity to their work.

Any theories as to why Karai broke the truce?
Bloodlust?
Did one of the turtles set something off, that they haven't told the family about?
I'm thinking there must be a story beat there.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-21-2021 at 04:24 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #42
Kyo Hisagi
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Any theories as to why Karai broke the truce?
Bloodlust?
Did one of the turtles set something off, that they haven't told the family about?
I'm thinking there must be a story beat there.
I am pretty sure someone did something and Karai just reacted to this. Either Turtles were framed or one of them is responsible. My money is on the first option.
Kyo Hisagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:25 PM   #43
AquaParade
Banned

I have a slight suspicion Donatello knows something.

1. He was always a bit "out there" in the Mirage books, if you ask me. He kept secrets and occasionally acted cold towards others.
2. He seemed distracted when dealing with Splinter's injuries. This could 100% be a reaction to the severity of the situation, but if by chance it's not, it would have to indicate something else.

Tbh, I wouldn't bet a dollar on that, but there's not much else to go off of and it's fun to theorize.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:30 PM   #44
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

It felt kind of weird how Karai worded her speech to the foot ninja like "It's too late to back out of this now." It didn't sound like she personally wanted the Hamato clan killed out of sheer desire to do it. If she wanted to break the truce, why not do it herself the first time?

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; 02-21-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #45
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
It felt kind of weird how Karai worded her speech to the foot ninja like "It's too late to back out of this now." It didn't sound like she personally wanted the Hamato clan killed out of sheer desire to do it. If she wanted to break the truce, why not do it herself the first time?
I noticed this too. That was either poorly conveyed or a clue. Perhaps a rogue set of Foot Ninja broke the truce?
Old 02-22-2021, 06:28 AM   #46
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You realize that building isn't unique to the 1990 movie, right? Might as well call it the 1984 building.
Really?
I was referring to how it compared to its original appearance but, please, do clarify.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (20.3 KB, 25 views)
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:56 AM   #47
Kyo Hisagi
Random Punk

I wonder how brothers will go down. We already know that Mikey and April survive, Splinter is already off the picture, but we still have to see how Donnie, Leo and Casey will die. Probably next issue is the last for Casey (judging by the cover).
Kyo Hisagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #48
AquaParade
Banned

I think there are still gaps to fill in but I was a bit confused by learning of Mikey's history alone, before learning what happened to Leonardo, Donatello, and Casey. Surely he didn't take off until they were already gone, right?
Old 02-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #49
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I think there are still gaps to fill in but I was a bit confused by learning of Mikey's history alone, before learning what happened to Leonardo, Donatello, and Casey. Surely he didn't take off until they were already gone, right?
It seems to be based around the explosion that they reference as the last time April and Mike saw each other. Casey may be dead now, but obviously despite her amputations April carried a baby to a successful birth and I doubt she was pregnant in the flashback so Casey might have died between the explosion that began Hiroto's rule and the present.

Karai was put into a catatonic state by Raphael when she killed him. So she is obviously fished out of the water and put in suspended animation.

The old friend referenced in #3's solicit is The Fugitioid unless Baxter Stockman is housed in Fugi's head.

The main thing I am curious about is, has 30 years past since the final battle? Mike has been hiding out in the Appalachian Mountains undetected for that long despite the 1984 type of technology, ninja or not. I mean he had to have done more than heal, meditate and read.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #50
AquaParade
Banned

I'm quite interested in seeing what has become of Baxter. Not a bad guess that he is stored in the Fugitoid's head.

I'd like to see some type of redemption for the character. I've always found him interesting. Especially in Mirage Volume 2. The way Jim Lawson turned him into such a strange looking robot, while his personality broke down, becoming more robotic, was pretty effective and disturbing. And remember how Donatello eventually stored Baxter's body, in secret from his family, as seen in Volume 4?

Pretty haunting character all the way around.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #51
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah I realized each issue is probably going to show how each turtle died one by one.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:16 AM   #52
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo Hisagi View Post
I wonder how brothers will go down. We already know that Mikey and April survive, Splinter is already off the picture, but we still have to see how Donnie, Leo and Casey will die. Probably next issue is the last for Casey (judging by the cover).
Possibly the death of leo as well with the sword on the cover. Does anyone remember what order they died in the 2003 ep Same As it Never Was?
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #53
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
Possibly the death of leo as well with the sword on the cover. Does anyone remember what order they died in the 2003 ep Same As it Never Was?
I wanna say Mikey, Leo, Raph.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #54
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

My grandson conquered the world and kill most of the turtles! Now all remains is kill Michelangelo and then no one will threat me and my empire again! MUHAHAHHAA
Old 05-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #55
AquaParade
Banned

Great interview with Tom. Nice and chunky.

https://anchor.fm/ninjaturtlepowerho...erview-e10rp51

Edit: The discussion around catering to older fans sort of cracks me up. One interviewer has this tone that sort of insinuates that older fans keep asking for mature content and they should be paying attention to The Last Ronin, but fans absolutely are paying attention to it, which the second interviewer sort of implies/corrects him on.

Then Tom is like, "Well, now that it's finally bloody and mature, those fans will complain about something else, or say it's too bloody."
I don't see it. Seems like most people are overjoyed to finally be getting this type of TMNT story. The sales and critical reception have essentially vindicated the fans who want mature content, so I don't really understand the tone they have in this section of the interview.
I just sort of get the impression that Tom, over the years, has taken a lot of crap from fans of this content, and it's left him a bit on the defensive side when it comes to that subject. Understandable, depending on what he is actually dealing with.

At the same time, I kind of feel like, again, we are vindicated for constantly pushing the idea that TMNT can excel when handled this way. This obviously wouldn't excuse the behavior of anyone who may have gotten on Twitter and blasted Mr. Waltz over something as trivial as a tmnt book, but to me this feels more like a chance for the older fans to say "See? Told you so."

Just my two cents. Still, a great listen. And Tom, thanks for doing these interviews, they make my day!

Last edited by AquaParade; 05-18-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #56
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm honestly curious why these issues are taking so long to come out when every other mini-series comes out one issue a month like usual. It's not like The Last Ronin issues are much longer page count wise than the regular monthly issues. And as said we've been getting the regular IDW comics monthly for a long time so there's not any covid related issues anymore.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #57
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm honestly curious why these issues are taking so long to come out when every other mini-series comes out one issue a month like usual. It's not like The Last Ronin issues are much longer page count wise than the regular monthly issues. And as said we've been getting the regular IDW comics monthly for a long time so there's not any covid related issues anymore.
They are double the page count on average.

It's also a bit of Kevin's perfectionism and the creative "back n forth" method they are using to craft the book.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:23 AM   #58
AquaParade
Banned

btw, Tom hinted that there is still a chance (insert Dumb & Dumber meme) that Peter Laird could still do some type of artwork on the series. I mean, I'd even take a cover collab. We have to see Peter's version of The Last Ronin design, don't we?
Old 05-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #59
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
btw, Tom hinted that there is still a chance (insert Dumb & Dumber meme) that Peter Laird could still do some type of artwork on the series. I mean, I'd even take a cover collab. We have to see Peter's version of The Last Ronin design, don't we?
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:11 PM   #60
TomWaltz
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Great interview with Tom. Nice and chunky.

https://anchor.fm/ninjaturtlepowerho...erview-e10rp51

Edit: The discussion around catering to older fans sort of cracks me up. One interviewer has this tone that sort of insinuates that older fans keep asking for mature content and they should be paying attention to The Last Ronin, but fans absolutely are paying attention to it, which the second interviewer sort of implies/corrects him on.

Then Tom is like, "Well, now that it's finally bloody and mature, those fans will complain about something else, or say it's too bloody."
I don't see it. Seems like most people are overjoyed to finally be getting this type of TMNT story. The sales and critical reception have essentially vindicated the fans who want mature content, so I don't really understand the tone they have in this section of the interview.
I just sort of get the impression that Tom, over the years, has taken a lot of crap from fans of this content, and it's left him a bit on the defensive side when it comes to that subject. Understandable, depending on what he is actually dealing with.

At the same time, I kind of feel like, again, we are vindicated for constantly pushing the idea that TMNT can excel when handled this way. This obviously wouldn't excuse the behavior of anyone who may have gotten on Twitter and blasted Mr. Waltz over something as trivial as a tmnt book, but to me this feels more like a chance for the older fans to say "See? Told you so."

Just my two cents. Still, a great listen. And Tom, thanks for doing these interviews, they make my day!
And then you're nice to me over here, AquaParade. You're a complex and unpredictable individual. LOVE IT!

Talk soon...

Tom W.
TomWaltz is offline   Reply With Quote