The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-14-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Power Rangers - the appreciation and discussion thread

Good evening everybody,

I just saw the first episodes of "SPD" and "Dino thunder" started on TV last weekend (I missed it, had some rioting to do ). I thought "Ninja Storm" was great until I saw "Dino Thunder". I thought "Dino Thunder" was great until I saw SPD. Pure... awesomeness... The choreography, the setting, the characters. it's so cool. Yeah, I have had too much cola today, during the last hour, I admit.

But SPD just seems to be so much more interesting than anything Power Ranger I have seen. The SPD-departement seems to be well worked out, and those two Robin Hood kind of types are sure going to be something combined with Bridge (or whatever SPD Blue's name is). Well, the morphing call... hmmm, dunno, dunno. Could be better, could be worse. But the transformation sequence makes up for that.

Oh, talking about lousy morphing calls (good, "Ninja Storm, Ranger Form... HA!" seems to hold #1 for me). As I mentionned, Dino Thunder started last Saturday. They apparently translated everything. So their morphing call goes like this (the original being "Dino Thunder Power up!): "Dino Donner, Powerkraft". D'uh. Many of you don't understand German, so let me spell it out for you. "Dino Donner" [Deeno Donnar] is "Dino Thunder", exact translation. Then, "Powerkraft" [Power Cruft] is truly, really really, seriously wrong. I guess I don't need to explain what "power" means, and Power in German is... yes, exactly... Kraft. So, what they say is "Dino Thunder Powerpower". Well, it could have been worse, but not much.

Feel free to add criticizm, comments, notes (Zarius, I'm counting on you).
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
Doppleganger
Stone Warrior

So um power is Kraft Cheese and Macaroni?

I started watching PR after Tommy got back on, I'm not ashamed to admit I'm one of those fans. But honestly I thought the storyline concerning the White Ranger and his father was interesting. Tommy killing Zeltrax (a former human) now there's something I didn't think they'd do. Even though technically he was a 'monster' he started out human. Was definitely a darker season...for Power Rangers.

Now I've only seen a few SPD episodes here and there but so far I like. The blue ranger gets on my nerves and pinkie is a bubblehead but it's not so bad. I do like Anubis. I think he's pretty cool. Especially the facial movements they have in him. What is he a puppet? A guy in costume?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Power Rangers S.P.D has indded, surpassed a great deal of expectations, the tension between the group at times is excellent, Bridge's obsession with not being the Red Ranger has made the Blue Ranger the most fascinating aspect of the series, this is the guy whose chance to emulate his father has been taken from him, some of the earlier episodes saw that play out well.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

I think that Anubis is a guy in a costume. I think I even saw the slits where the actor looks through. If that is true, then there are three slits in Anubis' throat. But the facial expressions are truly awesome.

I've had my first dose of Mora... well... odd accent . And she's got art skills, whoa.

The Blue/Red tension is really interesting. But maybe Sky needs to learn, that he doesn't need to mimic his dad in order to be as good as he was. I'm sure that it's going to be something as cheesy as that. And somehow, blue just fits him better.

And I don't really get the hierarchy of the SPD-Ranks.

Red is the leader, then comes blue, then green, then yellow,then pink, right? So, if Z gives Syd an order, she must obey it without question? SPD-Ranger wouldn't be the job for me...
Old 03-15-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
EZweasel
Stone Warrior

Power rangers may very well be the worst Tv show ever created. I say this only because every episode is the exact same. and it all started with the first rangers. i remember rita, the main villian. she would geta monster created to get the power rangers but it never worked. man it was so terrible now that i think back about it. and i have seen the new stuff....a TALKING HAMSTER??? i mean come on how bad can you get. How does this show even get ratings at all anymore.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:09 PM   #6
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

EZ: please don't be so offending against differences in taste.

Zarius, I beg you not to respond to EZ's post since it was an obvious flame, and I don't want to see an argument that may be the downfall of this truly great thread. Plus: I need you to give me information... lots of information.

And basically yes, there has been a lot of tehse "monster of the week"-episodes, but with the later seasons, as the fans grew up, they added, aside from better CGI and costumes, more story, more sidestories. Take Ninja Storm for example. Let the hamster be a hamster and look at Tori, the cute blonde. She is in love with Blake, obviously. But you never get to see that. Then, now take a look at the hamster, there's Cam and his dad has a big body-problem. Cam seems to be unable to relate to his dad anymore...

Anyways, SPD promises a lot, since there is this guy, Sky, who wants to be the Red Ranger, but gets assigned for the position of SPD Blue. Instead of him, an outlaw streetkid named Jack gets the position. That has to lead to tension.

Oh, yeah, they still beat up big robots, which is pretty cool.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Can I just point out that Sensei was'nt a hamster, he was a guinea pig.

Ninja Storm was great, but compared to darker seaaons such as In Space, Lost Galaxy, and Wild Force (which killed characters, and a Ranger, off) it was more of a throwback to the earlier MMPR years of humour and action
Old 03-15-2005, 07:18 PM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I grew outta PR after the origianl cast finaly faded into the sunset....i would only watch them again and only for nestalgia....no new PR can compair to the original cast....

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #9
ZariusTwo
Overlord

As for a cast that "does'nt come close to the MMPR version", Time Force's cast were damn good actors, the tightest of the series next to some of the MMPR cast.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:05 AM   #10
Midnight_Tanuki
Foot Soldier

I think MMPR was the best. Although when I was a little kid, I was always wondering why Zac, Jason, and Trini all of a sudden went to a "peace conference" in Geneva and never came back. By the way, I saw the Machine King saga recently on PRG when Zed and Rita are kicked off the moon until the rangers can defeat the machine empire. Dangit, I used to have an original red ranger gun, both of them in fact, but my mom made me sell it. (I don't let her EVER touch my stuff anymore) I also used to have an original power morpher. Never knew what happened to that. I also have the original power rangers cast toys with Tommy in both forms, except for I can't find Trini and Kimberly anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get them?

Midnight_Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:36 AM   #11
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Tanuki
I think MMPR was the best. Although when I was a little kid, I was always wondering why Zac, Jason, and Trini all of a sudden went to a "peace conference" in Geneva and never came back

Jason came back in Zeo to replace the original Gold Ranger Trey after he was forced to breifly give up his powers.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:34 AM   #12
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

And don't forget the Turbo movie, where both Jason and Kimberly showed back up.
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:51 AM   #13
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

And then somewhere Adam came back.
And Tommy is back in Dino Thunder.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #14
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Not to mention almost every Red Ranger came back in "Forever Red"
Old 03-16-2005, 12:46 PM   #15
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Oh yeah, I kinda missed that ep too. Anyways, how could all the Red Rangers come back? I mean Tommy was the Red Ranger more than once, then Jason (or whatever the first RR's name is) had also two armors.

What are those Ranger uniforms? Armors? Costumes?
Old 03-16-2005, 02:04 PM   #16
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarky
Oh yeah, I kinda missed that ep too. Anyways, how could all the Red Rangers come back? I mean Tommy was the Red Ranger more than once, then Jason (or whatever the first RR's name is) had also two armors.
Right, well, first of all, Tommy gave up his Turbo powers to T.J (Which is why HE uses the Turbo powers in "Forever Red") when J.D.F left the series, Tommy kept his Zeo morpher (proving they were seperate powers from Turbo) up unntil around Dinothunder, he either lost it when Mesegog destroyed the island, or he lost it before then.

Jason only TEMPORAIRLY held the Gold Ranger powers, he gave them up when Trey literally put himself together (he had been seperated into three versions of himself in order to heal the damage inflicted on him by the Vorax) and regained the Gold Ranger powers

Thirdly, and whilst this is actually not a definitive explanation, it makes a LOT of sense: The coin Jason used to become the Red Ranger was due to the fact that it was his original version, during the "The Power Transfer", his coin might have been duplicated when his powers transfered to Rocky.

The Rangers' coustumes are just coustumes, when they are damaged, it occasionly shows up on thier street clothes, only a few Rangers (usually the Red Ranger) achieve specific battle armour later in every season
Old 03-16-2005, 02:29 PM   #17
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Interesting, but that costume thing sort of intrigues me, since I've jsut rewatched SPD 1&2. When they morph (just after the priceless "I ask long, drawn-out questions?"-thing) they suddenly become better at martial arts, they also become a lot stronger (basing on Syd saying "Wow, the power is amazing"). So my guess would be that the suits are comparable to Batman Beyond's suit. Enhancing strength and reflexes, yet thin and comfortable.

So "Forever Red" really makes sense... I'm amazed. Well, I can't judge for myself, since I've never seen the ep, but it seemed very odd to me.

And Tommy theoretically could have morphed to Zeo Red whenever he wanted to? I learn something everyday... thanks.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:28 PM   #18
EZweasel
Stone Warrior

I take what i said back in a way. there was one thing i liked about power rangers and that was the first movie. it seemed different and actually decent.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #19
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Yeah, the first movie is yet another thing that confuses me concerning the suit/armor issue. In that movie they had armors.

For example:

So that implies that the suits are... well... suits. I think I think too much...
Old 03-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #20
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarky
Interesting, but that costume thing sort of intrigues me, since I've jsut rewatched SPD 1&2. When they morph (just after the priceless "I ask long, drawn-out questions?"-thing) they suddenly become better at martial arts, they also become a lot stronger (basing on Syd saying "Wow, the power is amazing"). So my guess would be that the suits are comparable to Batman Beyond's suit. Enhancing strength and reflexes, yet thin and comfortable.
There connection to the morphing grid enhances most of thier physical attributes.

...Did I also mention Forever Red is a sequel to an actual fan hoax?

Yup, the writer of the episode, the Season Ten story editor Amit Bhumic, previously put together a fan hoax about a "lost" episode of Zeo years ago with a few freinds which explained why the Zeo Zords were destroyed, and how Serpenterra crashed on the moon, it fooled quite a lot of people, and when he became story editor, Amit confirmed "Forever Red" was indeed the sequel to the hoax, therfore making it actual continunity.

Tags
power rangers