The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-02-2022, 06:36 AM   #441
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Haven’t watched the anime, but read the manga. Really enjoyed it. Has a great ensemble of characters where I don’t feel like anyone hasn’t gotten overshadowed unlike most other Shounen series.
Oh, yay! I was hoping you might know it.

I've only watched the anime, and I highly recommend it if you wanna watch it animated. It's one of my favorites, and it's very well written (as you said, it has a great ensemble of likable characters that don't get shafted or ruined like in other shounen).
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:13 AM   #442
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm going through Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time, and yes I know I'm late. I remember this airing on Cartoon Network back in the day. I'm about 90 episodes into it, I really like how all the characters are around late Dragon Ball level of power but prior to DBZ (they seem to all be around the level of when Piccolo Jr. showed up in the last world martial arts tournament).

Would have been funny to see how Goku and Yusuke would face off in late Dragon Ball. I also like how the afterlife of both series seem to be influenced by the same thing with ogres and Kai's and clouds based on the same Japanese mythology.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:59 AM   #443
neatoman
Emperor

So after 11 years, it looks like Panty and Stocking season 2 is coming out. The reason it look so long seems to have been a copyright dispute.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...roject/.187308
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:15 AM   #444
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm going through Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time, and yes I know I'm late. I remember this airing on Cartoon Network back in the day. I'm about 90 episodes into it, I really like how all the characters are around late Dragon Ball level of power but prior to DBZ (they seem to all be around the level of when Piccolo Jr. showed up in the last world martial arts tournament).

Would have been funny to see how Goku and Yusuke would face off in late Dragon Ball. I also like how the afterlife of both series seem to be influenced by the same thing with ogres and Kai's and clouds based on the same Japanese mythology.
Nice. YYH is a solid shounen series. It's not my favorite, but it's definitely one that I'd recommend to people interested in shounen stuff. I think it's got all the elements of a great shounen anime: charm, likable characters, terrific action scenes, fun filler scenes, etc.

I also think Goku vs Yusuke is amusing, though I think it'd end with them shaking hands, and going off to eat ramen or something.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:07 AM   #445
CyberCubed
Overlord

Genkai, the old woman, is my favorite character so far. In the dub she has the same voice as Freeza, so I can't unhear Freeza when she talks.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:32 AM   #446
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Genkai, the old woman, is my favorite character so far. In the dub she has the same voice as Freeza, so I can't unhear Freeza when she talks.
Genkai is awesome!

I kinda wish there were more female characters involved in the fighting aspects of the show, though I really like the girls in YYH like Yukina and Botan. I think Togashi creates great female characters, I just think they should do more than cheer from the sidelines.

But then again, Genkai and Biscuit from HunterxHunter are really badass.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:35 PM   #447
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
Oh, yay! I was hoping you might know it.

I've only watched the anime, and I highly recommend it if you wanna watch it animated. It's one of my favorites, and it's very well written (as you said, it has a great ensemble of likable characters that don't get shafted or ruined like in other shounen).
Definitely really good. Out of the misfits (aside from the main 3) I say my favorite 3 are

Lead
Elizabetta
Allocer

Though with the recent story, Camuii leapt up a couple of spots.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:36 PM   #448
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

I love Yu Yu Hakusho, it's one of my favourite shonen series and Genkai is a cool character, I like how wise she is and how she helps Yusuke

The music is great too, I enjoyed the dark tournament saga, I like seeing Yusuke grow in each episode, with the powers and knowledge he's gained.

Botan and Yukina are also great characters, but it would've been nice if they were more involved.
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 04:45 PM   #449
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Oh boy, when I was a kid and a teen, I loved anime. DBZ, Naruto, Code Geass, Bleach, etc. And back then, nobody thought that anime was “problematic”. I mean, I don’t agree with the occasional partial/full nudity, but the writing and animation is excellent.
Old 07-20-2022, 04:56 PM   #450
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Oh boy, when I was a kid and a teen, I loved anime. DBZ, Naruto, Code Geass, Bleach, etc. And back then, nobody thought that anime was “problematic”. I mean, I don’t agree with the occasional partial/full nudity, but the writing and animation is excellent.

I've seen a bit of DBZ and what I've seen of naruto season 1 I've enjoyed,
(I have it on DVD and still yet to continue it), I love Code Geass though, one of my favourite mecha anime before Evangelion came along years later.

you're right about the writing and animation, I especially love older anime from artists like Osamu Tezuka (of Astro boy fame) and Rumiko Takahashi, I like how they tackle serious themes and the variety of art styles depicted in anime is interesting to see.

Cowboy Bebop and Serial Experiments Lain are also quite good shows.
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 05:03 PM   #451
CyberCubed
Overlord

To be fair, anime fanservice now is a lot worse than back then. Back then nude scenes were brief and mainly done for humor or quick funny scenes. Nowadays we have full blown anime that are borderline hentai with full sex scenes and everything. And with girls as young as 12-13 too, makes me sick.

Give me "old" style fanservice anyday over the filth they put put now. Stuff was tame relatively speaking.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:34 PM   #452
Allio
Foot Elite

If anyone has seen the ghostly adventures of Mieruko-Chan there is another series I found that is pretty good and is pretty new. It’s called “Kaya-Chan isn’t scary” and it deals with a little kindergartener that’s a very strong psychic that destroys demons and spirits that curse her class.

Pretty good at 8 chapters so fae
Old 08-23-2022, 08:33 PM   #453
CyberCubed
Overlord

Finished that Spy Family show first season. It's more slice of life than action, at least so far. I think I wrongly assumed this would be more of an action series unless it picks up after. Yor hasn't done much.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #454
Allio
Foot Elite

Finished Tokapi’s Original Sin. That’s it. It is really good. 16 chapters, so it’s a really good and easy binge read. Definitely recommend
Old 10-18-2022, 01:25 AM   #455
Allio
Foot Elite

Read the recent chapters of Gash Bell/Zatch Bell sequel manga

And the first fight in Gash 2 is over. We learn that despite it taking place 7 years after the original series, Gash/Zatch tells us he is 19 since demons age differently (as he is sad he isn’t taller.)

next story we get Kanchome back. Kinda hoping he looks gorgeous and still has that cowardly attitude of his.

maybe it’s because it’s Raiku 100% but so far this feels like this could be a better sequel manga than majority of the others (like Boruto and DBS)
Old 10-30-2022, 12:16 AM   #456
CyberCubed
Overlord

Watching Demon Slayer, it's actually pretty good? A lot of it reminds me of Attack on Titan just with demons instead of giants, eating all the villagers and killing the main characters family. In the second season now, I really like the Japanese kimono women demons. Surprisingly the fights have all been pretty diverse too, none of the demons fight the same ones as the previous ones. Also surprised they killed the strong yellow haired guy off in the movie during the Mugen Train.
Old 11-12-2022, 08:38 AM   #457
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I miss Ruri Dragon.

Hopefully, the author will be able to recover.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 04:31 PM   #458
Allio
Foot Elite

Taizan5, the author of this years big hot “Takopi’s original sin” has started out with a new series “Ichinose’s family’s deadly sins” it’s only 3 chapters out so far, but it’s pretty good.

And DanDaDan proves to be a really good series. It even got away with using “Have you seen this man in your dreams” face. And that is just following the chapter that had “legally distinct not a Xenomorph”

Last edited by Allio; 11-27-2022 at 04:37 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:27 PM   #459
Allio
Foot Elite

So Discotek media had a stream last night showing off announcements. Looking forward to Medarots, Zeiram the animation, and the Japanese Sonic X. Hopefully we will see something about Japanese Beyblade.

Including the Japanese Digimon series, it’s great to finally see the original versions of these kids anime’s over here in the states. Now if only we could get Yugioh
Old 02-10-2023, 01:58 PM   #460
Allio
Foot Elite

Looking forward to Gridman universe