The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #21
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

It's Trek set post Nemesis that has Patrick Stewart as Picard, I'll at least give it a chance.

Heck, I'm still giving Discovery "a chance" so...

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:34 PM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Some names are confirmed. See if you can pick which role they're playing, based on the other thing:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/cabrera-...d-trek-series/
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Some dude joins as a regular cast member:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/evan-eva...series-picard/
Old 03-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #24
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Some dude joins as a regular cast member:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/evan-eva...series-picard/
"Some dude."
Old 04-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
FAKE news. It started filming today.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/04/pic...bk0kwKo7--5afo

I'm seeing a lot of people commenting about Picard being with a group of Section 31 on the show... is there anything official about that?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #27
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
FAKE news. It started filming today.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/04/pic...bk0kwKo7--5afo

I'm seeing a lot of people commenting about Picard being with a group of Section 31 on the show... is there anything official about that?
First I've heard THAT rumor. Where are you seeing it? Sounds faker than Data having a sex life with Tasha Yar to me...
Old 04-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
First I've heard THAT rumor. Where are you seeing it? Sounds faker than Data having a sex life with Tasha Yar to me...
Largely the comments of that video. Like this one:

"I hope this show never sees the light of day. Picard would never work for Section 31. If they can't get his principles right, lord only knows what else they'll get wrong."

Like, do they know something we don't?

Could be people have been hearing "A new show with Section 31 is happening!" and "New Picard show is happening!" and they're assuming they're one and the same thing?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #29
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Largely the comments of that video. Like this one:

"I hope this show never sees the light of day. Picard would never work for Section 31. If they can't get his principles right, lord only knows what else they'll get wrong."

Like, do they know something we don't?

Could be people have been hearing "A new show with Section 31 is happening!" and "New Picard show is happening!" and they're assuming they're one and the same thing?
Ah, got it. I didn't even watch the video, 'cause you can instantly see it's nothing but speculation.

I think your theory is absolutely correct: people hear "Picard show" and "Section 31 show" and have no idea they're two different things.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Ah, got it. I didn't even watch the video, 'cause you can instantly see it's nothing but speculation.
Yep, I just skimmed over it as well. Speculation city.

I like this comment: "We will not sacrifice Picard, we made too many compromises, too many retreats. They made the Kelvin movies and we fell back, they made Star Trek: Discovery and we fell back... not again! This far and no further! The line must be drawn here! We, we will not pay for what they have done!"
Old 04-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #31
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Yep, I just skimmed over it as well. Speculation city.

I like this comment: "We will not sacrifice Picard, we made too many compromises, too many retreats. They made the Kelvin movies and we fell back, they made Star Trek: Discovery and we fell back... not again! This far and no further! The line must be drawn here! We, we will not pay for what they have done!"

Damn good quote there. But are they quoting Picard or Quark?
Old 05-23-2019, 02:45 PM   #33
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

"So....why DID you leave starfleet, Admiral?"

Old 05-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #34
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
"So....why DID you leave starfleet, Admiral?"

Damn good teaser trailer.

MAKE IT FVCKING SO.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

He let himself become an admiral? A shame he didn't heed Kirk's advice.

On a sidenote: when STP becomes the accepted acronym for Star Trek: Picard, can the naysayers admit that STD is the only sensible acronym for Star Trek: "Discovery"?

*edit: It's looking like STP is going to be an immigration story. After the Prime timeline events of the JJ film, Romulans are now refugees, and the Federation fails to live up to its ideals by denying them asylum. Picard (who will probably be sought out by a Romulan friend) will lead a ragtag crew of criminals and questionables to sneak Romulans across the Neutral Zone and settle them illegally in sanctuary planets that are willing to host them.

I hope not, though. If it turns out TPTB is going to be exploiting fans' love of Patrick Stewart and Picard to try and co-opt viewers into getting behind open borders... that's going to be very unfortunate.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 05-24-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #36
sdp
Megan Fox = April

There's nothing wrong with immigration, in fact it's a necessity for economies and Star Trek has always been progressive. I'm sure people will get triggered by it no matter how tastefully it's done.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #37
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
He let himself become an admiral? A shame he didn't heed Kirk's advice.

On a sidenote: when STP becomes the accepted acronym for Star Trek: Picard, can the naysayers admit that STD is the only sensible acronym for Star Trek: "Discovery"?

*edit: It's looking like STP is going to be an immigration story. After the Prime timeline events of the JJ film, Romulans are now refugees, and the Federation fails to live up to its ideals by denying them asylum. Picard (who will probably be sought out by a Romulan friend) will lead a ragtag crew of criminals and questionables to sneak Romulans across the Neutral Zone and settle them illegally in sanctuary planets that are willing to host them.

I hope not, though. If it turns out TPTB is going to be exploiting fans' love of Patrick Stewart and Picard to try and co-opt viewers into getting behind open borders... that's going to be very unfortunate.
If anyone should've been an admiral, it was Sisko. Commanding officer of a starbase, leading military officer and one of the top minds involved in the Dominion War's strategies and planning, and ranking officer and diplomat in charge of ushering Bajor into the Federation. That's all way above a captain's rank.

And while Picard is a paragon of virtue and leadership, I don't see Picard as an admiral. I think they should have gone the Ambassador route, instead. His gifts for diplomacy, problem-solving, and leadership were the best and, frankly, his desire for a Starfleet rank was always more about exploration, not the military.

Regardless of politics, I think this will be a great story. It makes sense given Picard's mindmelds with Sarek and Spock, his desire for Romulan peace and his past encounters with Shinzon... oh, and let's not forget Sela. Picard has a long history with the Romulan Star Empire and his desire to see them reconciled to a peaceful coexistence with the Federation. And if Starfleet and the Federation Council decide to take a hardliner stance with the Romulans' crisis, Picard standing up to them absolutely makes sense. Whether or not we agree with American open borders.

Also, welcome back, man! Been far too fvcking long without you around.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #38
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
There's nothing wrong with immigration, in fact it's a necessity for economies and Star Trek has always been progressive. I'm sure people will get triggered by it no matter how tastefully it's done.
Most of Hollywood no longer goes about it tastefully or subtly, which is the main problem. It's almost always in-your-face and comes with a sense of smug superiority as well as an arrogant condemnation of people who don't agree with their world view.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
If anyone should've been an admiral, it was Sisko. Commanding officer of a starbase, leading military officer and one of the top minds involved in the Dominion War's strategies and planning, and ranking officer and diplomat in charge of ushering Bajor into the Federation. That's all way above a captain's rank.
Agreed.

Quote:
And while Picard is a paragon of virtue and leadership, I don't see Picard as an admiral. I think they should have gone the Ambassador route, instead. His gifts for diplomacy, problem-solving, and leadership were the best and, frankly, his desire for a Starfleet rank was always more about exploration, not the military.
Yeah, I always figured that when he was done being captain he would spend his twilight years doing ambassador stuff. An admiral? He'd just retire before that, I'd wager.

Quote:
Regardless of politics, I think this will be a great story. It makes sense given Picard's mindmelds with Sarek and Spock, his desire for Romulan peace and his past encounters with Shinzon... oh, and let's not forget Sela. Picard has a long history with the Romulan Star Empire and his desire to see them reconciled to a peaceful coexistence with the Federation. And if Starfleet and the Federation Council decide to take a hardliner stance with the Romulans' crisis, Picard standing up to them absolutely makes sense. Whether or not we agree with American open borders.
Oh, I don't doubt it makes sense. It's just... you just know that if there wasn't this big debate going on right now and if this story wasn't being written from the left, it wouldn't be the story. I want the story to 100% serve Picard, not agenda.

Quote:
Also, welcome back, man! Been far too fvcking long without you around.
Thanks, brah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Most of Hollywood no longer goes about it tastefully or subtly, which is the main problem. It's almost always in-your-face and comes with a sense of smug superiority as well as an arrogant condemnation of people who don't agree with their world view.
Yeah, this.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #40
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Oh, I don't doubt it makes sense. It's just... you just know that if there wasn't this big debate going on right now and if this story wasn't being written from the left, it wouldn't be the story. I want the story to 100% serve Picard, not agenda.
I get that, but I don't think we would get Patrick Stewart back in the role of Picard for anything else. At this point in his career, I don't think he does anything he doesn't want to do. Which means he had to want to do this. And I don't see him going back to Star Trek just for "eh, why not? Could be fun." It has to be something he believes in.

For better or worse, given Stewart's belief in this project, I think it will turn out well.

And at the very least, it can make some sort of decent story out of the bull$hit that was JJ Abrams casually wiping out an entire government and race just for two minutes worth of backstory in a bull$hit reboot prequel.