The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-19-2022, 12:09 PM   #61
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Learnt there was a variant comic book?!
I have NEVER seen that before.
Yes, it was published in the book TMNT Color Classic: The Works. vol. 2 in 2013.
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 01:34 PM   #62
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlZarkovski View Post
Yes, it was published in the book TMNT Color Classic: The Works. vol. 2 in 2013.
Yeah... 2013 doesn't exactly scream "Mirage" to me.

I think it's incredible that we're getting Mirage Turtles stuff, dream line, but the "re-colour" concept is REALLY taking the shine off for me. I was okay with the Lootcrate Shredder as we had a proper Mirage-coloured one already, and had assumed the IDW re-colour was just a one-off.

Looking forward to interviews with Trevor to see exactly what the plan is. I really hope Mirage-colours don't turn out to be some kind of exclusive.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 01:57 PM   #63
Otter
Stone Warrior

And this whole Haulathon has me worried too.

Awesome that they are making it possible for internationals to be involved too, BUT...

Will each of the month-long schedule of reveals/releases incur INDIVIDUAL international shipping charges?! The "exclusive" nature of it all suggests you'll need to put in a pre-order at each reveal. Unless they have some kind of combined shipping feature planned, this is likely to be prohibitively expensive.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:10 PM   #64
Otter
Stone Warrior

Sorry for being a Negative Nancy.

I am REALLY looking forward to more Mirage reveals...

... I think.
Old 02-19-2022, 04:16 PM   #65
Chris
Mad Scientist

Love the sculpt but really hope they correct the colours. Let's see what Trevor says in The Fwoosh interview tomorrow.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 04:40 PM   #66
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

I'm pretty torn on this, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. The figure is BEAUTIFUL, and Renet is one of my favorite characters, so I'm ECSTATIC that she's getting a figure! But... blue is what I've always seen her as, so this alt color is... not exactly up my alley. But I also don't know whether or not they actually do plan on making a blue version, or if they do, whether it'll be easy to get. For the moment, I'm... on the fence, I guess. Especially with how expensive figures are getting all across the board.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 04:57 PM   #67
italianice388
Stone Warrior

i know everyone hates my overly critical commentary, but i promise it comes from a place of just wanting the best possible quality for figures we've been waiting ages for.

i'm so excited to see these mirage characters finally getting their due, but the style just feels like the cartoon line. it doesn't work for me. i'm sorry, but what NECA was doing in 2008 for mirage is leaps and bounds ahead of this. why can't they match that quality for these? the paint is flat and the lines are too chunky. they just feel a bit too heavy handed. granted, leagues above the loot crate shredder, but leagues behind the 2008 turtles, imo.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #68
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Love the sculpt but really hope they correct the colours. Let's see what Trevor says in The Fwoosh interview tomorrow.
I just hope they don't shy away from the question.

Do they frequent these boards? Has the interview already been recorded? How do we get this question in front of their eyes? Is Nic an original (pre-IDW recolour) Mirage fan?
Old 02-19-2022, 05:25 PM   #69
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
i'm so excited to see these mirage characters finally getting their due, but the style just feels like the cartoon line. it doesn't work for me.
I don't mind the look myself, outside of them using the "wrong" colors for Renet. But to answer your specific question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
i'm sorry, but what NECA was doing in 2008 for mirage is leaps and bounds ahead of this. why can't they match that quality for these?
The simple answer to that is: different sculptors. I think the 2008 figures were specifically sculpted by 4 Horsemen. I don't believe they've done any of the sculpts for NECA's TMNT figures since they had their comeback, but I could be wrong.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:38 PM   #70
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Do they frequent these boards? Has the interview already been recorded? How do we get this question in front of their eyes? Is Nic an original (pre-IDW recolour) Mirage fan?
These boards, I don't know. But the question is being asked on The Fwoosh's own boards. I think the interview was pre-recorded but hopefully it comes up. If not the question is literally everywhere. Everyone is asking it so there's no way it won't get addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
The simple answer to that is: different sculptors. I think the 2008 figures were specifically sculpted by 4 Horsemen. I don't believe they've done any of the sculpts for NECA's TMNT figures since they had their comeback, but I could be wrong.

I think you're right. Everything after the original Mirage figures from 2008/2009 has been their own team rather than Four Horsemen (except the Mirage Villains set which were unreleased from the original line).
Old 02-19-2022, 06:03 PM   #71
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

I'm now wondering what color shirt they'll do for Mirage Casey. I remember it was originally depicted as red, but I think the IDW reprints made it white? I'll admit, this one's less important to me than Renet's outfit, but still.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:11 PM   #72
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The colors are correct (as per the variant cover art). The most they can do is release the default color as well. However, it's likely considering that there's like 3 color variants for April in the mirage line.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 06:12 PM   #73
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
Wait...is NECA skipping ahead to IDW figures or is this Renet based on her Mirage design?
It's the same Renet in both continuities, but it's Mirage design with the stupid unnecessary recolors IDW did with their Color Classics line.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:14 PM   #74
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
yup, although i think the sculpt isn't the weakest link. if you look at the shredder set from a few years back, that was an old four horsemen sculpt, but the paint deco was different, more like the current deco. simple, flat colors, with chunky, imperfect lines. the big difference here is all in the paint deco, imo. whoever did the paint deco and 2008 needs to get hired back. check my comparison image on the first or second page of this thread.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 06:16 PM   #75
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
While I came too late to the party and missed out on all the great 4H sculpts, I did end up picking up the high-quality bootlegs + loot crate shredder. However, having said this, I am actually more interested in NECA's proprietary sculpts than the 4H because I prefer the latter comic book aesthetics for mirage (as opposed to the bobble head look) and IDW.

On a side note, If NECA recreates the entire Usagi comic book universe, I will be beyond ecstatic.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:23 PM   #76
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The colors are correct (as per the variant cover art). The most they can do is release the default color as well. However, it's likely considering that there's like 3 color variants for April in the mirage line.
They’re correct to an IDW reprint that got them wrong. I would have no problem with this colour scheme as a Loot Crate or other exclusive variant but not as the first/main release. And, please correct me if I’m wrong, but those April variants never released. There was some speculation that they might come in this new Mirage line as NECA put them on the checklist the other year but nothing confirmed yet.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:33 PM   #77
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
They’re correct to an IDW reprint that got them wrong. I would have no problem with this colour scheme as a Loot Crate or other exclusive variant but not as the first/main release. And, please correct me if I’m wrong, but those April variants never released. There was some speculation that they might come in this new Mirage line as NECA put them on the checklist the other year but nothing confirmed yet.
You're correct. Those Aprils appeared in the checklist. I think we will have a clearer picture of NECA's roadmap tomorrow with the Trever Zammit interview.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:16 PM   #78
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
But only the blue (arguably the Mirage-"acurate") one was ever released.

My understanding is the yellow was to have been an homage to the cartoon, and the green to... the Turtles themselves?
Old 02-19-2022, 07:26 PM   #79
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I'm now wondering what color shirt they'll do for Mirage Casey. I remember it was originally depicted as red, but I think the IDW reprints made it white? I'll admit, this one's less important to me than Renet's outfit.
This one is definitely important to me. The red shirt is iconic!

I'm still dirty that Mondo never produced the 1:6 version they revealed a couple of years ago.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:37 PM   #80
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:

I think you're right. Everything after the original Mirage figures from 2008/2009 has been their own team rather than Four Horsemen (except the Mirage Villains set which were unreleased from the original line).
I think it's a bit more than just the sculpt. The Foot set were also criticised for having more "simplistic", broad-strokes paint applications.

But I can live with those... the big colour changes, not so much.

I will still get Rednet, but only to support the line straight out of the gate, as I did the 1:4 1990 Turtles. Hopefully the Mirage line has the same kind of legs (though I do wonder about that), and we'll see more Mirage-accurate versions.

Still, not exactly what I expected from the launch of a Mirage line. If NECA are going to do an IDW line, do an IDW line! Kick it off with Old Hob and Jennika and whatnot. There are people clamouring for it. But launch Mirage with... you know, Mirage.