The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-09-2023, 05:59 AM   #1
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Discussion: Characters that never had Playmates figures

Just curious about the thoughts of everyone here, but there are a ton of characters that never had a Playmates figure released.
I've been seeing independent toy creators make figures in sort of the old Playmates style for some of those characters and it's really cool!
What are some characters that you think should have had a Playmates retail figure, and what kind of features or accessories do you think they'd have?
For example, many of the vintage figures had extra details sculpted on them that weren't featured in other media like Traag's creepy crawly spider or the smooshed turtle under his boot... what would these unproduced figures have?
I'd love to have had a Cudley the Cowlick playset that came with a big assortment of weapons and objects he could spit out. I'm really interested to see what you all think!
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:17 PM   #2
Mondo_Gecko
Stone Warrior

Great post.

I HAVE SO MANY.

First I second the Cudley the Cowlick vehicle/playset idea. Always wanted it and honestly felt like a no brainer because it could double as a carrying case for figures.

And on that note, we got SO MANY VARIANTS but we didn't get the Wrestling Turtles?

1) Atilla and Rasputin (Nothing confused and frustrated me more then only having half of the punk frogs)

Jagwar and Dreadmon (Yes, I know they're getting NECA figures thirty years later but still)

A lot of mine are just more Archie characters like Armaggon, Null, Maligna, Scull & Bean, Chameleon, Cherubae, Stump & Sling, Vid Vicious, Kid Terra, The Uncanny Trio, Boss Salvage, Ninjara, Perri Grey, Al'Falqua, Katmandu, Pig Foot and Sea Dog, The Conservation Corps (I'm probably the only one though)

As for Fred Wolf 1987, I always wanted Ray (Yes, I know he was originally going to be Man Ray), variants of April as a cat or fish mutant, Dirk Savage and the Crooked Ninja Turtle Gang would have been cool too.

I was probably the only boy (or felt like it back then) in the 90s who wanted more female toy characters for not just TMNT but other franchises.

Last edited by Mondo_Gecko; 01-11-2023 at 12:35 PM.
Mondo_Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:22 AM   #3
Wes
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo_Gecko View Post
1) Atilla and Rasputin (Nothing confused and frustrated me more then only having half of the punk frogs)

A lot of mine are just more Archie characters like Null, Maligna, Scull & Bean, Chameleon, Cherubae, Stump & Sling, Vid Vicious, Kid Terra, The Uncanny Trio, Boss Salvage, Ninjara, Perri Grey, Al'Falqua, Katmandu, Pig Foot and Sea Dog, The Conservation Corps (I'm probably the only one though)
Yup to these. For Atilla and Rasputin, I'd have been even more into new designs a la Playmates' take on Napoleon! And I'd have been all about Archie characters -- Cherubae (and Mary Bones), Armaggon, Cryin' Houn, Ace Duck (wrestler), Leatherhead in wrestling gear, and Trap would have been top wants.

* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?

Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:57 AM   #4
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

1) The other two punk frogs.

2) I always wanted the turtles themselves in actual ninja outfits.

3) An updated Casey Jones. The original has an iconic look, but his proportions were always strange. As a kid, I guess I wanted a version that looked more like an actual person.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:36 AM   #5
Filespit
Hench Mutant

1. Attila and Rasputin, obviously.
  2. Wrestling suit Turtles. Drives me crazy these have never had figures!
  3. Archie Future Turtles. Raph with a cap, eyepatch and Leo's swords was the coolest thing ever.
  4. Basically every other Archie character.
  5. Zach the 5th turtle would've been cool.
Filespit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:46 AM   #6
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

I'm really digging the answers so far, and it's really cool to know I'm not alone in wishing that they'd given some Archie characters representation back then in that style.
Armaggon, Verminator X and the future TMNT from Archie are some I would have loved!
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:48 AM   #7
Shortfuse
Foot Soldier

I always wondered why they never made a Rex One figure.

Shortfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 06:55 AM   #8
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Rex One, Zach and Don Turtelli were always figures I had wanted to see.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:35 PM   #9
Mondo_Gecko
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Yup to these. For Atilla and Rasputin, I'd have been even more into new designs a la Playmates' take on Napoleon! And I'd have been all about Archie characters -- Cherubae (and Mary Bones), Armaggon, Cryin' Houn, Ace Duck (wrestler), Leatherhead in wrestling gear, and Trap would have been top wants.
OMG! I can't believe I forgot about Armaggon, I think I was so busy trying to think of some of the other obscure characters. I forgot about my fav shark mutant.

I'll edit my previous answer ASAP.
Mondo_Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:23 PM   #10
TurtleManiac
Stone Warrior

I always thought they should of made all the mobster characters into Playmates Toys. To name a few:

Don Turtelli
Big Louie
Pinky McFingers
The Great Boldini
The Globfather

Some of the Playmates Dic Tracy figures make great stand ins for those characters. I’ve been planning to customize some of those figures into TMNT toon mobsters, whenever I get around to it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24478755@N08/
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:59 PM   #11
renegadez21
Foot Soldier

Other 2 frogs
All Mutanimals
Wrestling turtles
Cryin Houn
Cudley
Tmnt 3 Casey
Ninjara