The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 02-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Best Buy to stop selling CD's in July

The end of an era, Target to possibly follow suit:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...-cds-only-when

The all digital future is probably going to be a thing shortly. It might get to the point where blu-rays no longer exists either, all movies/TV shows will be sold digitally or streamed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I stop buying CDs ever since I jumped on iTunes bandwagon. Digital era.

"Who still buys CDs?" - Nick Wilde, Zootopia.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:31 PM   #3
sdp
-

I used to spend so much money on CDs, it's where all my money went even though I could download albums on broadband when I was a teen. I stopped buying CDs 12 years ago.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:43 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Not surprising at all. Though I hope the idea of an "album" doesn't become lost to time.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
sdp
-

If CDs lasted this long, you can bet DVDs/BR will last another decade easily but it'll continue to become more and more niche as cd's were. I've said this for over a decade now and people called me crazy but look whose right ten years later. I have the right to gloat.

If I can't stream or easily pirate a movie I already own on dvd I just prefer not to watch it than get the movie out, I know it's the same for many, I don't even have a Blu-Ray/DVD player connected to the tv or any blu-rays for that matter . I put my entire DVD collection in a box which I bought so many because it was the cool thing to have in the early/mid 00's. I don't even know what to do with them.

Hell not buying any BRs ended up being a good idea since now we have 4K blu-rays. I may buy some of my favorite films like Jurassic Park on whatever 8k format is eventually released in the future. The eye cannot see beyond 8k so it has to stop there besides other gimmicks like we saw with 3D.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:53 PM   #6
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It might get to the point where blu-rays no longer exists either, all movies/TV shows will be sold digitally or streamed.
The last conventional CD I've bought was back in 2009, and it actually was from a Best Buy. I didn't exactly shut the door to buying CDs, but I just haven't been compelled to buy a CD in so long. I have bought six CDs since then, but they were actually reissues of existing albums I already owned, and they either had a bonus DVD or extra tracks. So basically, 2014 was the last time I bought a CD. There are actually two more of those I'd like to get, but I can easily adapt to the ceasing of conventional CD production. Anyway, I guess I'd say my purchases of CDs have slowed since 2005, when I decided to end my BMG Music Service membership since I noticed I wasn't buying as many CDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
If I can't stream or easily pirate a movie I already own on dvd I just prefer not to watch it than get the movie out, I know it's the same for many, I don't even have a Blu-Ray/DVD player connected to the tv or any blu-rays for that matter . I put my entire DVD collection in a box which I bought so many because it was the cool thing to have in the early/mid 00's. I don't even know what to do with them.
Maybe donate them?

Last edited by Storm Eagle; 02-03-2018 at 06:07 AM.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:00 PM   #7
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Aren't records really big right now too?

(Just give it about...30 years...CDs will revive with the new wave of Them Young Hipsters)
Old 02-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #8
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post

(Just give it about...30 years...CDs will revive with the new wave of Them Young Hipsters)
Come to think of it, cassettes are actually making somewhat of a comeback.

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/11/...-make-comeback
Old 02-02-2018, 11:11 PM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Man, all of this AND polaroids.

Next thing you know there will be "special edition" VHSes
Old 02-02-2018, 11:15 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I don't see any CD renaissance coming. CD's are just data burned into a disc, same as an .MP3 file on a thumb drive (every track on a CD is just an uncompressed WAV file, literally)... records are more tactile. A record player is "feeling" the music it's playing, the needle doing its thing.

It's all bullsh**, of course. Invest in a good, $2,000 Bose sound system, and play those HQ .MP3s at the right level, I guarantee it will sound better.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:27 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Hell not buying any BRs ended up being a good idea since now we have 4K blu-rays. I may buy some of my favorite films like Jurassic Park on whatever 8k format is eventually released in the future. The eye cannot see beyond 8k so it has to stop there besides other gimmicks like we saw with 3D.
Watching a DVD on a good HD TV vs. Blu-ray is like night and day. I don't mind the 4k movement. What is frustrating is the streaming movement not keeping up with the quality that's able to be delivered.

What do I mean? You watch a 4K blu-ray, you aren't seeing any compression. You're getting the raw movie, in full quality, at only the limits of your player and TV. There exists no streaming outlet right now that is able to deliver that same guaranteed solid quality without compression via streaming. At all. And if your daughter or buddy starts screwing around on FB on your wi-fi connection while you're watching your movie, it's going to dip down even more.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:29 PM   #12
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Last album I bought was Trevor Something's "Synthetic Love". Mainly because I wanted to support the artist.

What worries me about a completely digitialization of all media is they might stop producing alot of bonus features since that's whats generally used to sell DVDs.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:31 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
What worries me about a completely digitialization of all media is they might stop producing alot of bonus features since that's whats generally used to sell DVDs.
That's already happened. And most of the features they do just end up on Youtube, anyway. At this point the studios are actively aiding in the killing of physical media to get to a world where it's the Adobe business model... rent to watch, never own.

Look at "The F8 of the Furious." You want to buy the blu-ray? You can. You want the "Extended Cut"? You have to buy the blu-ray... and the "Extended Cut" is only available to watch via a code within the blu-ray case. Truly infuriating.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:33 PM   #14
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
At this point the studios are actively aiding in the killing of physical media to get to a world where it's the Adobe business model... rent to watch, never own.
God bless pirates, amirite!!
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #15
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Watching a DVD on a good HD TV vs. Blu-ray is like night and day. I don't mind the 4k movement. What is frustrating is the streaming movement not keeping up with the quality that's able to be delivered.

What do I mean? You watch a 4K blu-ray, you aren't seeing any compression. You're getting the raw movie, in full quality, at only the limits of your player and TV. There exists no streaming outlet right now that is able to deliver that same guaranteed solid quality without compression via streaming. At all. And if your daughter or buddy starts screwing around on FB on your wi-fi connection while you're watching your movie, it's going to dip down even more.
Well there you go. I still want to transition into 4K myself.

Quote:
Last album I bought was Trevor Something's "Synthetic Love". Mainly because I wanted to support the artist.
Mine was Silversun Pickups' "Swoon". The one I bought in 2014 for the new track was Soundgarden's "Superunknown".
Old 02-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
God bless pirates, amirite!!
Hey, I was 200% willing to buy the F8 blu-ray. The "Complete Fast & Furious Box Set" even had the foresight to include a spot in it to tuck the F8 disc in it when it would come out, 6 months in the future. But buying the F8 blu-ray, a disc I'll never watch because there exists a better version but just buy to get a code... to watch the "full version" of it online? What? Why would I do that? Why wouldn't I just pirate it, if I'm just paying money to buy a code to watch an online version I'm just streaming?
Old 02-03-2018, 03:42 AM   #17
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:

It's kinda trippy seeing vinyls in stores and USB record players, that isn't these small niche hipster corner shops.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:01 AM   #18
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Hm, I still buy CDs...I just like having physical copies of things. If your music player or computer or whatever you use for your digital media conks out on you, at least you have the originals to listen to. I also like having cd jacket with the music information and all that stuff for some reason.

I don't think that's going to die out here in Japan, though anytime soon. They still have movie rental shops and CD rentals are a thing here. Ironically, it's still illegal for shops to rent out video games here to my knowledge...thanks Nintendo. >_>

Last edited by ssjup81; 02-03-2018 at 04:09 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:10 AM   #19
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Man, I just bought a new CD a month ago.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:24 AM   #20
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Hm, I still buy CDs...I just like having physical copies of things. If your music player or computer or whatever you use for your digital media conks out on you, at least you have the originals to listen to. I also like having cd jacket with the music information and all that stuff for some reason.

I don't think that's going to die out here in Japan, though anytime soon. They still have movie rental shops and CD rentals are a thing here. Ironically, it's still illegal for shops to rent out video games here to my knowledge...thanks Nintendo. >_>
Buy external hard drives, which are so big in sizes - like terra sizes, so huge really. Do backup, it saves space too; those CDs are cluttering mess I'm happy to not have at all.

Same with pics you took from your camera and phone. Do people still print ALL of them and put in album books? Nope. You'd print only the necessary ones and the rest goes into the hard drives.

Digital is the future indeed.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote