The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-04-2022, 11:56 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The Eternals 2

If Patton Oswalt is to be believed.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/eternal...ght-s2-coming/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:02 PM   #2
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Cause the first one wasn't a big enough bomb.

Like guys... you own the X-Men now. You can stop trying to push the Eternals and the Inhumans. You're good.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:15 PM   #3
Galactus
Foot Elite

It was financially successful and had a B audience score. Admittedly below Marvel Studio's average but hardly some bomb that needs to wiped from existence. It was only that badly received by critics which is ironic is this felt very much like it was aimed at them. Even more ironic is that despite the attempts to re-imagine the characters in a way more palletteable to audiences the result was the same as it has long been to comic audiences; that the Eternals as characters aren't that interesting but their mythology and how it fits in to the Marvel Universe is what interests people. Even people who didn't care for the movie came away saying they wanted to see the other MCU heroes learn about the Celestials. Allegedly Marvel took out a copyright on the title Celestiais: End Of Time so a follow up may not have the Eternals title.

With the exception of Infinity War, Eternals is the only MCU movie to end on a cliffhanger...two cliffhangers if you think about it. Now not many people may care about Harry Styles and co of the Domo rescuing the kidnapped Eternals but again the Celestials returning to judge Earth is a concept people will get behind. Also while I like the MCU formula it would be good to have a few of these be a bit more serious.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:28 PM   #4
ChosenOne
Banned

For all we know, the Celestials will function as the MCU equivalent of the Beyonder(s) in the context of Secret Wars, ie, as the source of Doom's inevitable godhood.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:36 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
It was financially successful
Not remotely. It didn't even make its production budget (200M) back stateside. Overseas it barely made any ripples, either. This isn't even a "maybe they broke even" situation, this is a the movie landed hard, hard in the red situation.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:22 PM   #6
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Not remotely. It didn't even make its production budget (200M) back stateside. Overseas it barely made any ripples, either. This isn't even a "maybe they broke even" situation, this is a the movie landed hard, hard in the red situation.
Admittedly I haven't followed the financial side of things but I recall when the everyone was making a big deal about the poor critic reviews people were countering it with the numbers that looked healthy at time. I also imagine that if it had lost money we'd never hear the end of it both from the people predicting the MCU is collapsing since Age of Ultron and those who specifically think diversity is killing it.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:44 PM   #7
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Old 03-13-2024, 11:49 PM   #8
neatoman
Emperor

Yeah... Kinda saw that one coming. The Eternals did not break even and everyone hated it, I really don't see why they would make another based purely on reception and box office. However, I'm guessing we are still getting an indirect continuation, what else are they going to do? Pretend there isn't a giant head sticking out of the ocean and a bunch of gods wanting to determine the value earth?

Anyway, while on the subject, does anyone know why they felt the need to turn the Eternals into androids?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:15 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The general thinking with any movie sequel since forever is that it will bring in less than the original film. Now, big superhero movies that launch fandoms and catch fire with the "moment," they can be an exception, but certainly no one with a brain would imagine that would happen with an Eternals 2 when the first landed with a thud.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:22 AM   #10
IMJ
Emperor

The only reason the first one made any money at all was because it was on the downward area of the curve of woke $#!( whereas things began bottoming out with the Marvels. That's simply how society follows social-movements your standard Gaussian curve of social onboarding. Which has also followed the production of woke $#!( - ramping up, peaking, and began ramping down around the time of The Eternals.

If the Eternals were released when the Marvels was released it probably would have performed like the Marvels rather than a notch above it.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote