The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 04-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

I mean you feel the pressure and are aware they're drilling into you, but I didn't *feel* anything. Usually you feel that weird "tingle" in your teeth that gives a sharp pain if you have a cavity, but after the initial needle to numb your mouth (which hurts when they poke you), you feel nothing for the rest of it.

I've had cavities since I was 17 years old, and every 6 months to the dentist they find 2-3 cavities. And sometimes a root canal. And from 17 to my current age I'm not kidding when I said I've had 20+ filling and around 10 root canals.

But most of the time it's free or I pay very little, and after the needle to numb I feel nothing. I've gotten used to it, and I'm pretty surprised to hear the "horror stories" some people post online where they talk about how much pain they're in or "how horrible it was" like they were dying or something. Root Canals are mostly painless.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:59 PM   #22
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Agree they aren't as scary as they sound and yeah, not really any worse than a filling, but they're more involved and still not much fun. And for a lot of people a fair amount of pain in the wallet.

They find 2 or 3 every six months? Do you have much natural tooth surface left to even have cavities on?? And I thought I had a mouthful. At least I don't get need fillings that often, eesh.

Cubed gonna have dentures by the time he's 50.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

I have many cavities/fillings and root canals but that is because I drink Coca Cola and Pepsi every day. So I know why I have them, but as long as all the fillings are free and I barely ever pay for root canals, it doesn't matter to me. I have had one implant done of a tooth that needed to be pulled, but only one so far.

I dunno I guess I am just used to it. I've been to the dentist so many times I just fall asleep now while they work.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:33 PM   #24
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I have many cavities/fillings and root canals but that is because I drink Coca Cola and Pepsi every day. So I know why I have them, but as long as all the fillings are free and I barely ever pay for root canals, it doesn't matter to me. I have had one implant done of a tooth that needed to be pulled, but only one so far.

I dunno I guess I am just used to it. I've been to the dentist so many times I just fall asleep now while they work.
There was a line from Star Trek Enterprise years back where T'Pol says something to the effect of how she had her teeth sealed with "science fiction coating xyz" when she was a kid.

And all science fiction aside, how hard could that be? Like honest to God it has, for a lot longer than that episode of Star Trek, always sort of bewildered me that no one has come up with some kind of spray polymer intended for oral use that basically seals your teeth forever. Sure, you'd still have to brush them for cosmetic and "gum" reasons, but the food, bacteria, etc would essentially only come into contact with the polymer layer and not your teeth.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

So I need 5 more root canals and 4 crowns, and all of it is covered by my insurance so I don't pay anything.

Thank god. I can't imagine people who actually have to pay real money for all this dental work.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
So I need 5 more root canals and 4 crowns, and all of it is covered by my insurance so I don't pay anything.

Thank god. I can't imagine people who actually have to pay real money for all this dental work.
Shesus, that is some insurance. When I still had my job I could mayyyybe get 2 covered in a given year. Probably more like 1 and a half.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:29 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

So an update, I got 2 out of the 5 root canals done so far, the next 3 will be in two weeks. I've gotten three crowns put in, and then after the following 3 root canals are done, I need 3 more crowns for those same teeth. I've had 7 root canals in total (and the next 3 will be the last) this year and crowns for all of them.

And the best part of it all, it's all free for me. All I pay is a minor $11 co-pay for the x-rays and that's it. I looking up the cost of root canals and crowns and it's like $700-$2,800 for a root canal and crown on 1 tooth. WTF? That means without insurance I'd be paying an upward of $10,000 for all my work to be done.

Holy crap I'm making out like a bandit here. The actual procedure is painless so I don't mind going in at all, but the fact that I'm literally saving thousands of dollars is crazy. I better get this all done as soon as I can. God do I feel sorry for the people who have to spend thousands of dollars on this, it really is a ripoff.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:40 AM   #28
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Holy crap I'm making out like a bandit here.
Yes, yes you are. Don't ever lose that insurance or this habit of not caring about your teeth is gonna hit you pretty hard.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:35 AM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well I've also had root canals in the past like a number of years ago, I wonder if I had almost every tooth done. Once the root is taken out it doesn't come back, so those tooth are done forever. Unless they break completely, but then I get crowns.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:50 AM   #30
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I find root canals a little sad though. The tooth is in some way a part of you that already died, basically euthanized by having the nerves and all that removed, ahead (hopefully far ahead) of your own natural passing. Have only one myself, so I'm carrying around a small part of me that is already deceased.

Maybe that's an odd perspective, but it's kinda true. I'd much rather the rest of my teeth remain alive if I can help it.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #31
newfan
Mad Scientist

Our teeth are a flawed design.

Only had one root canal, sadly I need a molar pulled but that is because a wisdom tooth impacted into it and caused a problem, because it's right behind or underneath the molar they couldn't even access the wisdom tooth without taking the molar out, so the molar can go and I hope the wisdom tooth comes through properly in it's place, not guaranteed to happen though. Still, that's a total of 3 teeth that have had problems (excluding wisdom teeth) Not bad going really.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #32
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Wow, I've never heard of having to remove another molar because of a wisdom tooth, and then just leaving the wisdom in place. Interesting.

Grateful mine were never impacted. One of the only positives to my own teeth that have otherwise always had issues.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #33
sdp
Megan Fox = April

every time this thread is bumped I get freaked out and I brush my teeth thin how I can better take care of my teeth, especially since I do like sugar a lot. Overall I think I have good teeth since the dentist usually mentions that my teeth are good, so I guess I must be doing things right or my teeth are just good.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:50 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

I drink soda all the time which is why I have so many root canals and crowns. Also had literally 30+ cavities/fillings from the time I was 17 to now done, and before anyone asks, I'm being serious.

I guess it's the price of drinking soda after all. As long as it's all free for me, I don't mind going in. Nothing about the actual procedure is painful, given they numb your mouth, sometimes I honestly almost doze off sitting in the chair as they're working on my mouth. It's so relaxing.