The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-19-2021, 07:57 AM   #1
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

'Batman: Caped Crusader’: Animated Series From Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams, Matt Reeves

Batman: Caped Crusader, an animated series from executive producers Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves, received a straight to series order from HBO Max and Cartoon Network.

The reimagining of the Batman mythology is produced by Warner Bros. Animation, Bad Robot Productions and 6th & Idaho and marks Batman: The Animated series producer Timm’s return to Batman in animated episodic series. The Animated SEries. Tom Ascheim, President, Warner Bros. Global Kids, Young Adults and Classics (GKYAC) and Sam Register, President, Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) and Cartoon Network Studios (CNS), unveiled the series on Wednesday.

“It is always fun to feed the insatiable appetite fans have for all things Batman. Batman: Caped Crusader will entertain first time and die-hard fans alike and, with such an impressive creative team in place, we know we have another future Batman classic in the making,” Ascheim said.

Register added: “Batman: The Animated Series was a masterpiece that shaped the perception of the character for an entire generation of fans. It is in that spirit that we are bringing together three master storytellers in J.J., Matt and Bruce – each with their own intuitive understanding and affection for the character – to create a new series that will continue in the same groundbreaking legacy.”

Executive Producers Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves said: “We are beyond excited to be working together to bring this character back, to tell engrossing new stories in Gotham City. The series will be thrilling, cinematic and evocative of Batman’s noir roots, while diving deeper into the psychology of these iconic characters. We cannot wait to share this new world.”

https://deadline.com/2021/05/batman-...rk-1234759890/
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #2
AquaParade
Banned

I don't want to get my hopes up but that promotional art is everything.

This must be the Batman:TAS revival that was rumored recently. I'm glad they are making a new show in the same vein, instead of revisiting the well, which had already sort of run dry, despite how great that show is.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Looks like the rumors of B:TAS getting a revival were fake then if we're getting this new series instead. A bit of a pity, to be honest, but this show could be good. Bruce Timm working on this basically kills any chance of a B:TAS revival.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:31 AM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

That Batman design by Timm is just brilliant. Even the simple curve of the shoulder has me drooling.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:31 AM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

I never really like it when they make Batman's "ears" so big or long, it always looks weird to me.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #6
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I never really like it when they make Batman's "ears" so big or long, it always looks weird to me.
That's understandable.

I can go both ways with the ears. The short ones work for Miller's brutish, stocky Batman, but the long ears bring a sense of fantasy along with them, which I really like.
It sort of elevates the character into looking a bit more mythical and a bit less military. For a stylized show like this seems to be, I love the choice.

The promo art sort of reminds me of that Fantasia sequence with the giant demon coming out of the mountain, which begs the question: who will be composer for this? No mention of Danny Elfman, which is okay, if they get someone else great.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #7
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up but that promotional art is everything.

This must be the Batman:TAS revival that was rumored recently. I'm glad they are making a new show in the same vein, instead of revisiting the well, which had already sort of run dry, despite how great that show is.
The problem is the idea of a revival is based on the last season, 'the new Adventures' instead of my preferred and beloved first 3 seasons. If it is revived it needs to be based on the first three seasons. I love the designs and characters. I don't have interest in throwing in characters who don't fit the mold of the series.

That being said, this artwork definitely evokes the 1939 look. I am curious what the rest of the cast will look like. I am hoping that Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon make an appearance on a reoccurring basis, but limited to just them as far as costumed Bat Family. If its just Bruce as Batman fighting classic Bat Rogues then its fine too.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The problem is the idea of a revival is based on the last season, 'the new Adventures' instead of my preferred and beloved first 3 seasons. If it is revived it needs to be based on the first three seasons. I love the designs and characters. I don't have interest in throwing in characters who don't fit the mold of the series.
Well either way, it's obvious B:TAS isn't being revived now with Bruce Timm working on this new reboot.

I think people are going to want Kevin Smith's head on a platter for getting peoples hopes up.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:44 AM   #9
sdp
-

I like big ears on batman, it's been 8 years since Batman got his own cartoon, so it's overdue. Then again Batman has been so overplayed despite not having his own show the last decade that I've lost a lot of interest in the character, there's literally nothing new they ever do with Batman, always the same stories.

Unsure how I feel about Bruce Timm, I love the guy but if it's a new take on Batman why have him? If it was a revival of BTAS I'd totally be on board but I'm not a huge fan of Bruce Timm's Batman DCU animated movies because they feel like BTAS but also don't and it makes for a weird mix that doesn't benefit the universe. I'm guessing this would feel similar..

no doubt the last few semi revivals of BTAS were disappointing, but there is definitely enough in BTAS to be able to do a revival either set during BTAS time or even after.
I'm all for a more noir batman show but if timm is attached it'll feel like btas without it being btas and it'll just never be its own thing. I'd want a new show runner or timm doing btas

Last edited by sdp; 03-04-2024 at 08:56 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:46 AM   #10
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think people are going to want Kevin Smith's head on a platter for getting peoples hopes up.
He could have simply heard that this show was in the pipeline and that Timm was involved, and assumed it was Batman TAS.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's what likely happened, but the fact that he made it sound like a B:TAS revival rather than just Bruce Timm working on a new Batman cartoon got peoples hopes up and the news spread all around the internet for about a year.

I guess the DCAU is officially dead. We're in 2021 now and with Kevin Conroy getting up there in the years this did feel like the one last chance for B:TAS to have another show but I guess that's dead and buried now.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #12
AquaParade
Banned

I think most people will be excited, as opposed to angry at Kevin Smith.

There are enough ingredients here to tie it to the 90's animated series. It was never going to be exactly the same thing anyway, especially given that the show itself essentially morphed away from what people remember it most for.

Here we have Bruce Timm designs, a focus on noir storytelling, and just look at that artwork - it maintains the same, classy Fletcher-Superman style that originally inspired B:TAS.

B:TAS is my favorite animated superhero show, easily, but I'm more excited about this then I would be having B:TAS "return".
Old 05-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #13
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
“It is always fun to feed the insatiable appetite fans have for all things Batman.
You don't say?!

It's a good thing I just saw the news on Superman finally getting another animated series, otherwise I would have groaned at "more Batman."

I'm a bit uneasy with Bruce Timm involved given his recent work including the DC animated movies. Matt Reeves being involved though makes me wonder if this will have a similar style or tone as his upcoming film. Pointy earred Batman is fine with me, it gives a more devilish look to him.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:10 AM   #14
AquaParade
Banned

I feel like this is going to be the first comic book cartoon to actually look beautiful in forever. That's what has me most excited. The idea that maybe we can get back to cartoons doing some quality cartooning.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #15
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

This is the type of care I wish TMNT could get.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #16
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Is that the thing we thought would be a Batman TAS continuation? I hope not.

And you know,a reboot by Jar Jar Abrams; that always ends well.
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:40 PM   #17
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I have the original animated series, I am good.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #18
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
but we don't know what it's going to look like or how well it's going to be animated.
But we can assume it will have a budget due to the names involved, and the pedigree of the talent involved + the way they are talking about the show as a successor to the spirit of B:TAS and it's stylized noir storytelling implies the animation will be better than the typical DC direct-to-dvd. Just looking at the promo art gives an impression of prestige, Fletcher-esque animation.

I think so at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
I have the original animated series, I am good.
Hey, if everyone were this easy to please, we'd never need anything new.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:07 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikWolferson View Post
Is that the thing we thought would be a Batman TAS continuation? I hope not..
There is no B:TAS continuation, this was the Batman cartoon Bruce Timm was working on.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #20
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I'll wait and see but I don't expect much on how it'll look. Of course I hope to be pleasently surprised and that yo're right but a press release with no pictures and just concept logo isn't going to get my hyped.
Oh, I'll definitely be disappointed if it doesn't look any more visually interesting than their average direct-to-dvd or Saturday morning cartoon, but no, I don't see that happening. They have big names producing and are calling it a successor to Batman: The Animated Series. They are using this as a push for HBO MAX, which is desperate right now. I think signs point to this being a premium product.