The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
Keldor1578
Hench Mutant

Dreamwave comic is an adaption of the 4Kids cartoon, could Oroku saki been Ch'rell.?

Was Oroku saki going to be an utrom or deviated and he kept him human.
Keldor1578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Venom
Space Knight

Who knows? Since it was going for stories that ran parallel to the Animated universe but going in its own direction it is possible that Saki would have been human; however, I feel Peter David would have kept most elements presented in the cartoon intact,.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
azrael
Mad Scientist

You know I really liked that series I have the tpb which give you a little more insight to the story and the next arch which featured metal head.
________
ROLL A JOINT

Last edited by azrael; 08-12-2011 at 10:16 PM.
azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael View Post
metal head.
Haha, you mean Turtlebot.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Galactus
Foot Elite

Well it was Peter David's intention to consult with the writers of the 4kids show so as to not contradict it so it's highly likely that if the series was still being published during the second season of the show Shredder would have been Ch'rell.

Of course he could've eventually made a break from the 4kids version like Archie did to make something based on but completely different from the show. You have to wonder what tactic Murphy would have taken if he was the writer of the Dreamwave series as originaly intended. I think that series would've been a better fit for him than Tales v2.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

The only other story arc we know of that didn't get finished was The Evil Turtlebot was angry that the Mousers had been destroyed.

Kinda makes sense, as Baxter created the Evil Turtlebot in the series.

Other than that, DW only had 2 new stories, so it was nothing to go on.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
Keldor1578
Hench Mutant

This reason i am asking this is, I wanted to know if Dreamwave comics was to deviate from the 4Kids cartoon. Just like Archie comics did to the Fred Wolf cartoon.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldor1578 View Post
This reason i am asking this is, I wanted to know if Dreamwave comics was to deviate from the 4Kids cartoon. Just like Archie comics did to the Fred Wolf cartoon.
If it did, I doubt it'd be intentional.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Coola Yagami
Overlord

well... the Turtlebot story wasn't in the cartoon. Wasn't that story planned before he made an appearance on the show? Even the first 2003 TMNT game had their made up scenario with the Turtlebot.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
well... the Turtlebot story wasn't in the cartoon. Wasn't that story planned before he made an appearance on the show? Even the first 2003 TMNT game had their made up scenario with the Turtlebot.
He had already appeared in the game and toyline though.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
He had already appeared in the game and toyline though.
Yeah, but not in the show (at that time), so any story involving him would already be different from the show. Shame, I was looking forward to that T4 story... They were finally gonna stop wasting time with Boyz in da Hood and finally get back to Ninja Turtle stuff.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 02-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Keldor1578
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Yeah, but not in the show (at that time), so any story involving him would already be different from the show. Shame, I was looking forward to that T4 story... They were finally gonna stop wasting time with Boyz in da Hood and finally get back to Ninja Turtle stuff.
was Dreamwave comics that bad of adaptation of the 4Kids cartoon.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
Venom
Space Knight

Not really, it's just nothing special. They wanted to adapt the episodes from a different point of view, in which case was the Purple Dragons for the first issue.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldor1578 View Post
was Dreamwave comics that bad of adaptation of the 4Kids cartoon.
Peter David's schtick when adapting episodes of the show was that he told the same story through one or two persons perspective. It was quite clever but it didn't really work..for example the first issue has the story of the first episode of the show but the perspective shifts between a Purple Dragon gang member to the Eastman & Laird cops, you hardly saw the turtles.

He dispensed with this and started to do original stories in 2k3 style. It seemed to be his intention that these were stories that were happening inbetween episodes of the show and he developed a B cast of youths turtles and co help but even then it seemed like filler stuff.

The story with the Mousers and Turtlebot looked like it would've been a turning point for the series but alas it wasn't to be
Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord

It was kinda interesting though. It did go into April and Baxter's childhoods for their stories. I did notice the guy in charge was a fan of the old show, there were lots of pizza references and April's story had her wanting to be a news reporter when she was a kid.

The original stories were lame. The first had Raph decide to get the limelight and say hi to a girl he just saved. Due to lots of weirdness, the girl was sent to an asylum for thinking she was crazy and Raph had to take down a whacked-out pshyciatrist... which explained why Raph was better off sticking to the shadows.

The next 2 issues dealt with some kid being picked on by a gang and April taking him to meet to Leo so he can train him. It was some new gang, not the Purple Dragons. Again the issues had nothing to do with the Foot or anything else.

The T4 story announced had the Turtlebot, Mousers and safe to assume Baxter, so had they continued with it, it would have been an original story... but still keeping with the 2K3 stuff. I'm sorry but they should have skipped those 3 issues of boring filler crap and just skipped straight to the T4 story and maybe the comic would have lasted longer, or at least go out with a bang.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
Keldor1578
Hench Mutant

How many issue did Dreamwave comics lasted.?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #17
Venom
Space Knight

7, but I had to add extra characters to post.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

The first four were loose adaptions, (shown via angles of the two officers, April, Baxter and Casey), so technically there were only ever 2 new stories.

#5 and 6-7 was a 2-parter.....so we only got two original stories out of the Dreamwave run.

I just view DW as part of the 4kids series, you can easily just imagine those two stories taking place somewhere in Season 1.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #19
Spitfire
Writer • Director

The only thing I thought was good about the DW series was the artwork. It looked really nice. The rest was eh...It needed a more interesting writer.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #20
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
The original stories were lame. The first had Raph decide to get the limelight and say hi to a girl he just saved. Due to lots of weirdness, the girl was sent to an asylum for thinking she was crazy and Raph had to take down a whacked-out pshyciatrist... which explained why Raph was better off sticking to the shadows.
I thought that idea was great. Plays with the turtles sense of alienation and desire to at least get some acknowledgment for some of the good deeds they do and in the end reinforces why it's best to stick to the shadows. The plot itself somewhat lame but what's at the core of it is good stuff, the last scene is great and something we could/should have gotten from Mirage.

Quote:
The only thing I thought was good about the DW series was the artwork. It looked really nice. The rest was eh...It needed a more interesting writer.
Peter David is an industry star hence why Dreamwave wanted him. He is capable of great work and maybe felt he had time to win an audience over. Interestingly I always thought linking it to the 4kids series was his choice until I read...

You wrote the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for Dreamwave. What was that experience like? Would you do it again?

Only if I could write it the way I wanted to. When Dreamwave asked me to write it, they told me the first four issues had to tie-in very closely to the first episodes of the new animated series. I felt that was an unfortunate and limiting choice. I almost passed on the project but my daughters were saying, “Dad! It’s Turtles! You have to do it!” So against my better judgment I took it on, doing the best I could with the restrictions I’d been handed, and bided my time until issue #5 when we could start doing the kinds of stories I really wanted to tell.

Unfortunately, as I feared would be the case, readers checked out the first issues, said, “Oh, it’s just a tie-in to the cartoon,” and stopped reading. It killed sales; absolutely killed it. I was so frustrated. At the time they pulled the plug, I had this big four-parter planned, a full blown Terminator send-up called “T4: The Turtlenator.” First two issues were scripted and I think the artist had already started. That’s how little warning I had.

Although that doesn't make it clear if it was DW which forced a tie in to the series or just the first episodes. Either way I think this is what stifled him. Then again if we had gotten a better book it would have been bittersweet with DW the company tanking not long after.