The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 10-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Would a Battle Nexus Movie work?

Okay, with all the talk over the past couple of years over what made the previous two TMNT movies suck, there's something I've been wondering about, when the inevitable next version is eventually made, does anyone else think starting with an adaptation of the Battle nexus saga work as a film? A tournament story is one of the main staples of martial arts films, and I think the next movie being an adaptation of this story Arc from the 4kids series would be an excellent film.

I like the idea of the turtles one night secretly following Master Splinter when he sneaks out of the lair, and following him through a portal to the battle Nexus. I think it would be neat if Splinter had been secretly competing in the tournament all these years while the turtles were growing up, and he had learned martial arts from the Tengu who run the battle nexus, the original creators of the art of ninjitsu. It's be awesome to have the turtles compete in the tournament, and who could bring in all these different turtle characters from across the galaxy to compete in the tournament- Rat king, Slash, Leatherhead, Batxer Stockman fly, Aska, Mon Lisa- the sky's the limit!

And for those who want more martial arts in a TMNT film- nothing showcases martial arts like a martial arts tournament. Awesome matches, like Splinter vs. the Rat King, or Raph vs. Slash. Throw in a plot about the ultimate Ninja trying to size power from his father, the Daimyo of the battle Nexus, and the other villains helping him to steal the Daimyo's war staff, and I think you'd have an amazing film! So my question is, would something like this even work? Could you have special effects by Jim Henson's creature workshop, helping with CGI touch-ups, and make an amazing martial arts club on a decent budget?

I know I'm probably dreaming, and we'll probably get another reboot. But it's such a GOOD dream, and I wonder if anyone else would like something a little more amazing than another recycled origin; heck with the bit about Splinter having a past fighting in the battle Nexus tournament (and Hamato Yoshi a competitor, according to the 4kids series), you could actually cover part of the Origin here. So am I the only person who would love to see this incredible concept from TMNT cannon adopted, or woudl a martial arts tournament for a TMNT film be an awesome Idea?

(and no, this isn't fanfic stuff, the Battle nexus was a cannon story)

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 10-08-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

If it works for Thor Ragnarok (that's close enough, right?) then it could work for TMNT. But that's assuming the public can accept things that aren't directly from Fred Wolf (granted they pretty much had a Battle Nexus episode in the red sky seasons before such a thing even existed). It'd have to be your 3rd or 4th film to gel, I think. But I wouldn't want it to exist just to throw Playmates references at the audience, just stick with previously established inter-dimensional monsters or whatever.

Personally I'd rather see the Triceraton arena (well, their entire initial arc) stuff. But I'm game for any big brawl.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:41 PM   #3
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Well it can be possible in one of two ways

1. A TMNT film incarnation would not only have number of films under its belt but also a cinematic universe with the Usagi Yojimbo series

2. It could be in the vein of the DC's direct to video series, no cinematic universes just a movie about the Battle Nexus Tournment.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Well it can be possible in one of two ways

1. A TMNT film incarnation would not only have number of films under its belt but also a cinematic universe with the Usagi Yojimbo series

2. It could be in the vein of the DC's direct to video series, no cinematic universes just a movie about the Battle Nexus Tournment.
Excellent points and ideas! I'd love if a battle nexus film could stand on it's own though, without previous films or usagi.

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 10-08-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:56 AM   #5
itwouldntwork
New Recruit

I think a Battle Nexus movie could work... but as Powder said above, I do think it would only work as a sequel, and a third or fourth one at that - such a concept needs proper setting up.

I'm generally not a fan of rebooting, but after the mess that was the Bay turtles it's pretty much a requisite for anyone ever going to see another TMNT movie again.

It'd be a great setting for a fighting game, though.
itwouldntwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

It very well could work, but it's not the TMNT film we need right now. The franchise has to get back on track after being derailed by the Platinum Dunes films, and to do that, we need a film that makes a bold statement, "these Turtles ARE the Turtles." An origin film perhaps, but either way, one that establishes the characters in a way that feels definitive and meant to be remembered.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
It very well could work, but it's not the TMNT film we need right now. The franchise has to get back on track after being derailed by the Platinum Dunes films, and to do that, we need a film that makes a bold statement, "these Turtles ARE the Turtles." An origin film perhaps, but either way, one that establishes the characters in a way that feels definitive and meant to be remembered.
I personally think the best kind of movie would be a film with April and the turtles, with strong characterization, and Rat King, Leatherhead, and Slash as villains. An origin retelling no matter how 'grim an' gritty', brings nothing new to the table- though I'm sure a lot of people will come in and cry- 'but you gotta do the shredder origin right first!'- ugh.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I personally think the best kind of movie would be a film with April and the turtles, with strong characterization, and Rat King, Leatherhead, and Slash as villains. An origin retelling no matter how 'grim an' gritty', brings nothing new to the table- though I'm sure a lot of people will come in and cry- 'but you gotta do the shredder origin right first!'- ugh.
That's too many characters for one film. A hard reboot doesn't necessarily mean "origin story," but it does mean wiping the slate clean. You still have to re-introduce the characters on top of the villains. It's better to have them fight one villain in the first and then maybe have them take on multiple ones in the next. You can hit the ground in a sequel in a way you really can't in the first.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #9
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
That's too many characters for one film. A hard reboot doesn't necessarily mean "origin story," but it does mean wiping the slate clean. You still have to re-introduce the characters on top of the villains. It's better to have them fight one villain in the first and then maybe have them take on multiple ones in the next. You can hit the ground in a sequel in a way you really can't in the first.
Slash and leatherhead usually work as minions when they're full on bad guys, or teaming up with others. But I agree you need one MAIN villain. Or Rat King and leatherhead could be minor/set-up villians, with Slash as the main baddie.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 10-17-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

While I am not the biggest fan of Cinematic Universes, I think a tmnt cinematic Universe would absolutely be needed to make a Battle Nexus movie work to its full potential.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote