The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-12-2021, 09:45 PM   #21
ChosenOne
Foot Elite

Damn, that's good, Powder! Not the direction I would take per se if given the chance but I'd love the hell out of that book. And as the cherry on top, it would satisfy my craving to see the Turtles explore weird underground settings.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

I do kinda wonder what the mutant town arc would have played out as if Tom was still writing it. Based on what he did before, I do think it would be more related to gang violence, with Hob and the other Mutanimals, as well as different mutant groups/factions, all fighting for territory while the Turtles/Alopex/Jennika/good guys all try to keep peace. Basically a "no mans land" type of story arc with each mutant faction trying to gain control

It wouldn't really be about mutant animals trying to come together for a musical band or political issues like Sally running for Mayor (and I'm pretty sure Lita and the weasel kid mutants wouldn't exist, they were very likely a Sophie invention), so it would likely be Jennika coming to terms with being a mutant turtle and her and the others fighting against Hob or other mutant factions.

That's how I assume things would have played out. I do like that we got Rahzar/Tokka out of Sophie's run, but a lot of the other new additions aren't very interesting. Like the Diamond porcupine mutant, the blue poison frog guy, the mutant hogs, Sheena the pig mutant, the weasel kids, and Lita.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #23
ChosenOne
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I do kinda wonder what the mutant town arc would have played out as if Tom was still writing it. Based on what he did before, I do think it would be more related to gang violence, with Hob and the other Mutanimals, as well as different mutant groups/factions, all fighting for territory while the Turtles/Alopex/Jennika/good guys all try to keep peace. Basically a "no mans land" type of story arc with each mutant faction trying to gain control

It wouldn't really be about mutant animals trying to come together for a musical band or political issues like Sally running for Mayor (and I'm pretty sure Lita and the weasel kid mutants wouldn't exist, they were very likely a Sophie invention), so it would likely be Jennika coming to terms with being a mutant turtle and her and the others fighting against Hob or other mutant factions.

That's how I assume things would have played out. I do like that we got Rahzar/Tokka out of Sophie's run, but a lot of the other new additions aren't very interesting. Like the Diamond porcupine mutant, the blue poison frog guy, the mutant hogs, Sheena the pig mutant, the weasel kids, and Lita.
That's exactly what I expected immediately after #100 and when we got our first hint of Mutant Town. Alas...

I think we would get Tokka and Rahzar eventually anyway, even if they would be quite different from the way Campbell portrayed them.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

Like, it's not even a horrible premise, the stuff the current arc is dealing with. There's story potential there, as Cubed pointed out. It's just that the execution itself is dreadful, and not dealing with any of the potential angles that it could have and should have been exploring the whole time. There's no real logic to why things have played out the way they have, other than "The writer thinks these things are Super Important and wants you to think so as well."

And that's where people get into calling it "propaganda" and whatnot; because it has less to do with an organic resolution of the premise or previous plot points, and more about "Well, this is what the writer cares about, so that other stuff can wait."

And it's like "Well at least it's new and unexpected!" Yeah, it's unexpected because it literally doesn't fit what had previously been set-up and established. That's not the "good" kind of unexpected; that's the "Stink Palm" type of "unexpected".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:39 PM   #25
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I never imagined Mutant Town being all that important beyond an arc. First and foremost I would have commissioned a micro-series spotlighting each member of The Pantheon with the issue's focus member narrating his or her story allowing for us to see each one's perspective and gain some background on each. While this is unfolding leading to The Armageddon Game I have Baxter Stockman focused on his intentions with Mutant Town as he attempts it as a goodwill endeavor since they were mostly his supporters and look good to the public, while getting resources to rebuild what he lost from Stocktronics. Stockman would be forced to give up the resources to the government after April catches him and he gets credit for finding the retro-mutagen cure.

We would also see Leatherhead-Krang reunite with Chrell. The utroms will realize Krang's ambition and how he has caused much more harm than good and Ma'rell will contact Fugitoid for help as Krang and Chr'ell have scaped to deep space.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:43 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Mutant town can also continue to go on in the background as a whole bunch of other main plotlines go on outside of it. Having a section of NY quarantined for mutants to live in is pretty interesting plotline, but you have to do something memorable with it.

The problem is instead of a bunch of mutants freaked out and fighting for survival for food, medicine, shelter and different factions trying to take over...it's basically just a Zootopia furry community where most animals seem to live in peace and accept their lives. Remember all these mutants were previously human beings, you'd think most of them would want to be de-mutated and be freaking out they can't get in touch with their family members.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:46 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Like, it's not even a horrible premise, the stuff the current arc is dealing with. There's story potential there, as Cubed pointed out. It's just that the execution itself is dreadful, and not dealing with any of the potential angles that it could have and should have been exploring the whole time. There's no real logic to why things have played out the way they have, other than "The writer thinks these things are Super Important and wants you to think so as well."

And that's where people get into calling it "propaganda" and whatnot; because it has less to do with an organic resolution of the premise or previous plot points, and more about "Well, this is what the writer cares about, so that other stuff can wait."

And it's like "Well at least it's new and unexpected!" Yeah, it's unexpected because it literally doesn't fit what had previously been set-up and established. That's not the "good" kind of unexpected; that's the "Stink Palm" type of "unexpected".
Like, you extend your hand to someone and go, "Put'er there, partner!" but instead of shaking your hand, they punch you in the face.

I don't know that "unexpected" points should be awarded. It's not "groundbreaking" or "important," it's just a dick move.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote