The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-17-2021, 12:06 AM   #41
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I used to have Prime 1. Got fairly far but got stuck at a certain point. Something about a big chamber with lava around... and metal corridors leading to a center section while stuff is firing at you from all around. Couldn't figure out what to do for days so just gave up.
Hah. That actually sounds like exactly where I got stuck in that game. I still have all my GameCube stuff, so I should dig it out and watch a walkthrough on YouTube.

And I know I have Fusion and Samus Returns somewhere, but I'm not sure if I ever picked up Zero Mission.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:27 AM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Hah. That actually sounds like exactly where I got stuck in that game. I still have all my GameCube stuff, so I should dig it out and watch a walkthrough on YouTube.
Indeed! I seem to remember... the GameCube days, solutions were at least a little harder to come by on the internet.

Quote:
And I know I have Fusion and Samus Returns somewhere, but I'm not sure if I ever picked up Zero Mission.
I just started playing Zero Mission/the Metroid 1 remake now (turns out I downloaded the ROM almost 15 years ago)... hey, this is a lot of fun. And WAY better with the improved graphics and map. I got the 3DS version of "Samus Returns" running too and that looks pretty crazy.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:19 AM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

The lava world in Prime is Magmoor Caverns and that's only the second major world of the game. Did you ever make it to Phendrana drifts, the ice/snow portion? Its considered the best area of the original, and if you didn't, sounds like you guys only made it 30% into the game.

The Metroid Prime games usually take between 15-20 hours to finish depending if you want to find all the collectables or not, and in Metroid games most of the fun comes from the endgame when you have all your suits abilities/powers and can go freely exploring old areas and find all the missile and energy tanks you missed.

I beat Metroid Prime 1 like 10+ times since I was a teenager.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:07 AM   #44
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
What is the "bonus mission"?
there's an extra mission where you are in your Zero Suit which is original and not in the first game. It's short but cool to control samus in her zero suit, i think it's the only game that does it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:52 PM   #45
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's an updated list of the chronological order, I forgot to include Hunters on it. This time I included the consoles and years they were released.

Metroid / Metroid: Zero Mission (NES/Game Boy Advance, 1986/2004)
Metroid Prime (GameCube, 2002)
Metroid Prime: Hunters (DS, 2006)
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GameCube, 2004)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii, 2007)
Metroid Prime: Federation Force (3DS, 2016)
Metroid II: Return of Samus / Metroid: Samus Returns (Game Boy/3DS, 1991/2017)
Super Metroid (SNES, 1994)
Metroid: Other M (Wii, 2010)
Metroid Fusion (Game Boy Advance, 2002)
Metroid Dread (Nintendo Switch, 2021)

Last edited by TigerClaw; 06-17-2021 at 08:05 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:33 PM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Is Metroid Prime Hunters worth playing? Or Federation Force?
Old 06-17-2021, 08:39 PM   #47
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
I never played either of those, Here's gameplay for both games.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:42 PM   #48
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
People like the multiplayer for Prime Hunters but I've only played the single player campaign. The controls are weird, it would have been a good idea to mimic the Gamecube controls but instead you have to pick between a touch screen mimic of mouse control on the touch screen or a mimicked dual stick with the buttons. The touch screen works better but I'd recommend you play it on Wii U rather than DS because it's a little easier to set the gamepad on a table than the DS, makes it much more stable.

The thing is, I wish that game had support for actual mouse controls, actual dual sticks and/or the Wiimote. As is the game is just awkward to play. I know there is an emulator that allows the Prime Trilogy to be played with the mouse but those games worked fine without it. Make such an emulator for Prime Hunters and it would be much more enjoyable to play.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:48 PM   #49
Turo602
The King of Kings

Hunters is a bit clunky. Never finished it myself due to the controls. Never played Federation Force but I imagine it plays better because of the 3DS slider. It's a co-op centric game though so that might impact your fun a bit, if the chibi art style and lack of Samus doesn't already.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

Hunters isn't worth playing now. It wasn't great in 2006 and as you can imagine the DS graphics have aged terribly 15 years later. Also you control Samus' movement and aiming with the stylus and that control scheme hasn't aged well either.

It was basically a multiplayer game since Nintendo was pushing it as their first big wi-fi multiplayer game on DS in 2006 along with Mario Kart DS at the time. Some of the hunters are introduced in that game and some become recurring characters.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:07 AM   #51
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Hunters was a great game, granted it's an online arena based shooter released in the DS era, so without online and limitations in mind it might not seem as great anymore but it was a good game despite its flaws. I'd love to see the game remade with modern controls

Federation Force I only played like 30 mins because that's what I do but it seemed like a fun game, people just bash it because it's called Metroid Prime but it doesn't have Samus and it's during the time that people wanted a new Metroid since they hadn't gotten one in many years and the franchise was basically dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Some of the hunters are introduced in that game and some become recurring characters.
Well the ending of Federation Force sets up a hunter from the game as the main villain for MP4 basically.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:42 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also Nintendo shut down the only wi-fi of the original DS, so Hunters only has a single player portion now and you can't play the multi. Hunters single player was an afterthought to the multiplayer, so it isn't really that good. At most it was a marvel on the underpowered DS back in 2006, and depending if you like using the stylus. I wouldn't really play it now unless you're a hardcore fan.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:07 AM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I have to admit... I'm glad I saw this trailer. I'm revisiting all things Metroid. I almost have Zero Mission beat, and it's a great deal of fun. Also I did buy Prime Trilogy and Other M on Wii U and just barely dabbled in both... nice! The controls are great on the Prime Trilogy and I really must say that "Other M" is much better than I remembered. They took a great deal of care trying to deliver a "classic Metroid" experience while still imbuing things with a little of the first person experience from the Prime games... while adding a ton of character and story care.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:31 PM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

Metroid has always been one of my favorite Nintendo series, it's a shame the series never became quite as mainstream as Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, etc. Samus' inclusion in Smash Bros. since the original certainly helped make her more known among casuals at the time.

The Metroid Prime games were ahead of their time. They came out in 2002-2007 but feel more like modern videogames, I really hope Nintendo does an HD remaster of them on the Switch next year.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:47 AM   #55
AquaParade
Banned

I just bought a Switch with Mario Odyssey and Botw. Dread pushed me to do it. I was waiting for Prime, but whatever.

I'm prepared to be disappointed with Mario and Zelda, due to the sheer level of hype, but I'm sure I'll at least have a good time with Mario.

How do you guys feel about these games four years later?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #56
CyberCubed
Overlord

Both good games, although Galaxy 1 and 2 are still the best 3D Mario. Breath of the Wild is great but there's no "real" dungeons so that was a disappointment for some that I hope they fix with the sequel.

I'd also recommend the Link's Awakening remake, Age of Calamity, Mario Maker 2, Luigi's Mansion 3, Paper Mario Origiami King, Captain Toad (if you didn't have on Wii-U), Mario + Rabbids (amazing strategy game), Smash, and some other games if you didn't have on Wii-U like Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D World, etc.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:32 PM   #57
AquaParade
Banned

Thanks for suggestions. I am interested in trying Bowser's Fury and I'll probably get Donkey Kong as well. My favorite thing about the Genesis was Donkey Kong's music, so I'm looking forward to that.
I think I may actually prefer Zelda without dungeons, but I dont want to speak too soon. I've heard so many mixed reactions from this game, ranging from "best game ever" to "no reason to explore."

Here is hoping a Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster finally comes along for Switch as well.

One small thing that pleased me in the Dread gameplay video was the use of non 2-d perspectives, like when Samus was charging her blaster. I hope they find a way to implement first person perspective as well, even if briefly. It has a way of immersing you into the world on a deeper level.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:47 PM   #58
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I just bought a Switch with Mario Odyssey and Botw. Dread pushed me to do it. I was waiting for Prime, but whatever.

I'm prepared to be disappointed with Mario and Zelda, due to the sheer level of hype, but I'm sure I'll at least have a good time with Mario.

How do you guys feel about these games four years later?
Mario Odyssey is a lot of fun. Someday I'll pop it in and successfully kill that dragon I'm stuck on.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-24-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:00 PM   #59
Turo602
The King of Kings

Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are both excellent reasons to own a Switch. You gotta be one nitpicky ass person to not enjoy those games, especially if you're fans of the series already and have witnessed them evolve over the years and aren't just biased towards one era.

You can definitely criticize both of them as a fan, but they're both easy recommendations to any new Switch owner. I replayed Breath of the Wild last year on Switch after originally playing it on Wii U and all I gotta say, is that I was never once bored with it and still feel like playing it again and that by no means indicates that it's a perfect video game or even a perfect Zelda game. But the fun and immersion is undeniable.

Adding to CyberCubed's recommendations though, you should definitely check out Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair if you're a fan of the original Donkey Kong Country games, since it is from the same team that made them and has been recieved rather well as a spiritual successor to the DKC games.

Last edited by Turo602; 06-24-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:28 AM   #60
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha Cow View Post
Same here, not a big fan of Metroid 'Prime'. What ever happened to Metroid Dread; was it even real?
yes, it's real.