Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-22-2021, 11:38 PM   #1
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

July 2021 Solicitations

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #119

Spoiler:

Sophie Campbell (w & a) • Nelson Daniel (a) • Nelson Daniel (c) • Kevin Eastman (c) • Alex McArdell

April is on the run after discovering a scheme with dire consequences for Mutant Town. Meanwhile, the Mutanimals take drastic steps that will put them on a collision course with the TMNT!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Best of Casey Jones

Spoiler:

Misc. (w) • Misc. (a) • James Biggie (c)

Goongala! Is Casey Jones a disturbed vigilante or the Turtles’ best pal? Why not both? Featuring stories from across multiple publishers, dig into this collection of the best stories of the TMNT’s unpredictable ally!

FC • 100 pages • $5.99
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:05 AM   #2
ChosenOne
Banned

Seems promising, on the surface.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM   #3
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

It looks like we’re getting a look at Stockman’s long game with Mutant Town, something I’ve wondered about since issue 100. His character in the IDW comics has been a master chess player, outliving Shredder and Krang (Before they were brought back) and ascending to the position of Mayor while having former enemies like April working for him. I keep thinking back to the end of City at War and how he seemed to look at April with admiration after she demonstrated how she had blackmail material on him. I genuinely think it was the only time in the whole of the comics run this Baxter has shown even a slight bit of admiration for someone other than himself.

I’m guessing the ‘drastic steps’ involve Hob putting down the Sally Pride uprising. Which uh, makes sense and I’ve said so in the past so I won’t complain. I feel like he’s shown signs of regretting what he’s done lately though, so I’m suspecting this collision may end up with Hob losing his nerve. Really, if you remove Baxter (and by extension, the EPF) and Hob from the equation it’s possible Mutant Town resolves itself. Even if the people aren’t changed back, if you can demonstrate mutations aren’t contagious, the wall comes down, utilities and basic services are established again, and it’s mostly an ordinary if run down and damaged part of New York with animal people. As I’ve said before, you can have a place where the Turtles can roam freely and keep the slow build toward Earth looking like the tabletop RPG without having Mutant Town be the only story.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:46 AM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Like I suspected the focus will still be on mutant town even though we're focusing on other aspects, like Baxter and I guess Sally running for Mayor and Hob/Mutanimals trying to put a stop to it.

We know from the Annual that the Pantheon will get some focus again, but I really want to see a story for Krang/Leatherhead and the Utroms. I wish we could at least get a new set of mini's to entirely focus on that since it's such a big plotline left on the side for over a few years now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
ChosenOne
Banned

Fans: We want the Turtles, we want Shredder, we want Krang, we want Leatherhead...

IDW: You'll get nothing and like it!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm starting to think mutant town is the focus of issues 101-150, like the first 50 issues were about Shredder/Krang, then issues 51-100 were about Splinter taking over the Foot Clan leading to the eventual City at War climax with Kitsune/the Dragon. Now issues 101-150 will have mutant town focus with some elements on the side.

Assuming IDW TMNT doesn't end at issue 150, maybe issues 151-200 could be the true climax to the series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
sdp
-

if mutant town is successful then it'll be a furry comic for the rest of its run since it's the new audience and what they like. if mutant town isn't successful then the comic will be cancelled because of sales. Seems like either case is not going to give us a great TMNT comic
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:13 AM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Fans: We want the Turtles, we want Shredder, we want Krang, we want Leatherhead...

IDW: You'll get nothing and like it!
Yeah, they're very obviously and deliberately trolling the audience at this point.

While I respect the commitment to the "gag", enough is enough already. It's like they all made a bet to see who could get the book cancelled first, and how soon they could do it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #9
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, they're very obviously and deliberately trolling the audience at this point.

While I respect the commitment to the "gag", enough is enough already. It's like they all made a bet to see who could get the book cancelled first, and how soon they could do it.
That, or they're just very committed to telling this story.

And while I advocate for writers to express themselves and tell the stories they want to tell, I also feel like writers should be open to criticism, and analyze their stories in order to see if the stories they want to tell fit the series they want to tell them in. Sometimes, certain stories aren't the best place to tell, well, certain stories, and this especially applies to franchises where the characters aren't one's own.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

Yep yep. "Truer Words", friend.

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
Well, after seeing their work, if they're not "committed" SOMEWHERE they definitely ought'a be, by now!

We have fun.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:18 PM   #11
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

a little sneak peak at issue 119.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:27 PM   #12
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
i can so hear this right now.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #13
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
i can so hear this right now.
The Little Rascals? More like The Little Ninjas.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:49 PM   #14
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post

And while I advocate for writers to express themselves and tell the stories they want to tell, I also feel like writers should be open to criticism, and analyze their stories in order to see if the stories they want to tell fit the series they want to tell them in. Sometimes, certain stories aren't the best place to tell, well, certain stories, and this especially applies to franchises where the characters aren't one's own.
Yeah, that's kind of problem. You can have some freedom, but they can't have absolute freedom. They have to remember they're dealing with a licensed property, they still have to stick to the core and themes of the licensed property, be it Turtles VS The Foot and other such villains like Leatherhead and Krang and whatnot.

You can't just make some Superman story, exile him to some weird new planet full of furries or something, and spend a good 20 issues on that planet, never once mentioning any of his co-stars (Lois, Jimmy, Lex, etc). Can you imagine that? Superman on a planet of furries, where he's barely in it except like maybe a few panels where super strength is needed. Oh and his powers are out of whack so he gets weird new ones replacing his classic moveset to the point where he's almost Superman in name only. And it goes on for 20 issues. And this is of course, pretending that this is the only form of Superman you can get, there is no other form of Superman appearing in any other comic, not even Justice League.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:30 PM   #15
Kyo Hisagi
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
You can't just make some Superman story, exile him to some weird new planet full of furries or something, and spend a good 20 issues on that planet, never once mentioning any of his co-stars (Lois, Jimmy, Lex, etc). Can you imagine that? Superman on a planet of furries, where he's barely in it except like maybe a few panels where super strength is needed. Oh and his powers are out of whack so he gets weird new ones replacing his classic moveset to the point where he's almost Superman in name only. And it goes on for 20 issues. And this is of course, pretending that this is the only form of Superman you can get, there is no other form of Superman appearing in any other comic, not even Justice League.
You just described Planet Hulk here. One of the best Hulk stories ever.

1) Hulk was exiled from the Earth
2) None other comic books starring him came out during this period (I could be wrong, fact-check me)
3) None of his supporting cast was present for the entirety of the story
4) The story lasted more than a year. Not 20 issues, but 12-13, still pretty solid
5) No furries so far, but different alien races
6) He's still strong, but he can be hurt (plus he acts pretty different compared to his usual self so one could say he's kinda like a new character)

I see where you coming from, but I personally think that you can tell interesting stories under any circumstances. TMNT can be as flexible as any other franchise. You can send them to space or back in time, make them humans, even create Mutant Town. It's not the idea we're having problem with, but it's execution.
And length, yeah, 20 issues is a LOT and I guess we will have 30 or so more.
Kyo Hisagi is offline   Reply With Quote