The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #21
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Pretty good issue, nice to see more of Baxter and Saki. I'm guessing the latter's new abilities are some sort of trade off from when the dragon was stopped in #100.
I'm also curious to know if anyone else read the second letter on the letters page; it certainly reminds me of a few people around here and Bobby's response pretty much hits the nail on the head for every point made.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:42 AM   #22
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
Im really curious now as to what we should expect for the last half of the year. We should have a new writer in right? Who do you guys want to try and salvage this book? Who could IDW realistically hire? I think with Ronin taking as long as it has that Tom is out of the picture aside from his annual books he's been doing.
Ideally, I'd go with Tom but he can't do everything at once, so I'm okay with whoever, as long as they don't push their themes on the book. Just stick with the TMNT-ness of it. Can't go wrong that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
I'm also curious to know if anyone else read the second letter on the letters page; it certainly reminds me of a few people around here and Bobby's response pretty much hits the nail on the head for every point made.
You mean Bobby's non-response? Yeah, I read it. Standard hollow boilerplate in these situations. Does absolutely nothing to defuse the fanbase's concerns, quite the contrary, actually.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:43 AM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Im really curious now as to what we should expect for the last half of the year. We should have a new writer in right? Who do you guys want to try and salvage this book? Who could IDW realistically hire? I think with Ronin taking as long as it has that Tom is out of the picture aside from his annual books he's been doing.
Sophie said she's on board till issue 123 at the least, so I don't know if that's her last issue or what's just been planned up to so far.

Tom Waltz really does need to come back to the ongoing at some point, although I imagine he is too busy with The Last Ronin, the Annual, and other IDW comics for the time being.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #24
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The IDW shredder was one of my favorite versions of the character and I'm interested to see where this goes.

I am surprised that they did print a negative letter but I'm not surprised at all with Bobby's dismissive reaction to it. The same message we've seen for the last year or so "if you don't like it you don't have to read it" washing their hands of any accountably for the mess that mutant Town has become.

This issue is the start of a new arc and Sophie's also writing until #123 in November.

And I disagree, Bobby's response was appropriate; the letter read a lot like some of the comments on here and he's absolutely correct when he says that it's ok to dislike the current run just don't be rude about how you voice it.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #25
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
And I disagree, Bobby's response was appropriate; the letter read a lot like some of the comments on here and he's absolutely correct when he says that it's ok to dislike the current run just don't be rude about how you voice it.
He basically said "Write to us politely and (if it's about this matter) we'll politely ignore it". Hence the boilerplate label. Of course someone who isn't worried about the comic's current course and has no concerns to defuse would find that appropriate.

Last edited by ChosenOne; 06-23-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #26
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
For some reason Shredder despite now being alive, is now apparently able to move in ghostly-form, able to travel between walls and apparently long distances. I'm not sure when this was established, as I'm pretty sure this is the first time we're seeing this.

April on the run from mutant eels was nice as well as her getting bitten, but I hope she doesn't get mutated. Seems Baxter has finally turned on her, although it does feel a bit abrupt. The new black assistant feels like she will be a love interest for Baxter at some point. Good issue and better than the last few, but again the Turtles themselves hardly get any screentime.
Can't help but do a bad pun April O'Eel. Zara might be the human dna donor that made the scorpion mutant.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:04 AM   #27
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
He basically said "Write to us politely and (if it's about this matter) we'll politely ignore it". Hence the boilerplate label.
Then you completely missed the point of what he said at the beginning of the second paragraph:
"Frequently negative letters are written in absolutes where the author is certain of their opinion. This pretty quickly tells me what I need to know about the writer: that they aren't likely to respect other opinions and therefore their opinion can be taken with a grain of salt."

This is the exact behaviour that you and Leo656 and a number of others have been exhibiting on here for the past several months and yes it can be said to be dismissive to a degree, but as he points out it's because people like you refuse to accept that any point of view outside of your own could possibly be correct.

He's also correct to call out the way the writer directly attacks the unnamed artist as being entirely unconstructive vitriol.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #28
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Then you completely missed the point of what he said at the beginning of the second paragraph:
"Frequently negative letters are written in absolutes where the author is certain of their opinion. This pretty quickly tells me what I need to know about the writer: that they aren't likely to respect other opinions and therefore their opinion can be taken with a grain of salt."

This is the exact behaviour that you and Leo656 and a number of others have been exhibiting on here for the past several months and yes it can be said to be dismissive to a degree, but as he points out it's because people like you refuse to accept that any point of view outside of your own could possibly be correct.
Funny, that's exactly the way I view you people. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Except on the dismissive part. We fully agree there. Meanwhile this once-stellar comic is going to sh*t, the greatness that is #118 notwithstanding, and all Bobby can or will do is stick his fingers in his ears and go "Can't hear you! La-la-la-la!"... You're so convinced you're infallibly right, you're willing to let everything burn just to prove it. Sad.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #29
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
He basically said "Write to us politely and (if it's about this matter) we'll politely ignore it". Hence the boilerplate label. Of course someone who isn't worried about the comic's current course and has no concerns to defuse would find that appropriate.
I doubt they will ever own up or admit that anything they have done post 100 is critically worse than Tom's run.

It's perfectly valid that the core fanbase that has supported this book for a decade might not all be interested in what's been published lately. We haven't been given much alternative either, the sister book to the flagship title ALSO revolves around mutant Town and Jennika - sure there is Ronin but it is a totally different book with no impact on this universe.

They say that their sales are steady so we can all just quit reading, they don't need us any more apparently. I guess their sales aren't going back into the books budget because we have gotten less issues than the last few years with a smaller pool of artist and no 5 week event in sight.

This was my favorite book to pick up every month since it started but now it's just not the same and I wish there was a way for the staff to have an honest discussion about this era and it's flaws instead of condemning people who have negative opinions.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #30
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Just noticed something, the eels are a mixture of two arms, quadropeds, and maybe bipeds. They might be mutating/evolving. I wouldn't put it past Baxter and null to cook up a mutation virus that can be administered through bite/blood contact.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:18 AM   #31
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
Just noticed something, the eels are a mixture of two arms, quadropeds, and maybe bipeds. They might be mutating/evolving. I wouldn't put it past Baxter and null to cook up a mutation virus that can be administered through bite/blood contact.
I never took it as April was actually "infected" or anything I just assumed it's an easy way for Baxter to keep her away from the public by making it seem like she's contagious.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #32
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
This was my favorite book to pick up every month since it started but now it's just not the same and I wish there was a way for the staff to have an honest discussion about this era and it's flaws instead of condemning people who have negative opinions.
Everyone there who might still be interested in doing that openly and honestly is probably terrified of losing their jobs if they don't toe the "diversity" company line, as is the case everywhere else. Which is a shame because I'd really love to hear more about their rationale and plans for bringing back Saki, instead of just endless gushing about how awesome and amazing and perfect Jennika and Lita and the pig and all the new androgynous Mary Sue fanfic characters are.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:30 AM   #33
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
The IDW shredder was one of my favorite versions of the character and I'm interested to see where this goes.

I am surprised that they did print a negative letter but I'm not surprised at all with Bobby's dismissive reaction to it. The same message we've seen for the last year or so "if you don't like it you don't have to read it" washing their hands of any accountably for the mess that mutant Town has become.

Erik Burham, what does he have on his plate these days? What about Kyle Higgins? I know he was doing some creator owned thing over at Image, but he did fine with Dick Grayson and can take existing mythos and expand upon it without violating it. While Tom is my top choice I would like to see either of these guys take a crack at being head writer starting with #123.

I am surprised that after so many loyalist have been sounding the alarm that a constructive criticism letter was printed. It disappointed me that Bobby was dismissive of it. "Frequently negative letters are written in absolutes where the author is certain of their opinion. This pretty quickly tells me what I need to know of the writer: that they aren't likely to respect other opinions so their opinion can be taken with a grain of salt".

He continues, "In this letter the writer is certain we're trying to reach some sort of new market. Here's the thing: I have never instructed any creator to change the story to appease any audience and quite frankly think its a fool's errand, and, quite frankly impossible to do. Instead I focus on working with creators to tell the story they want to tell, as long as it works in the confines of the IDW universe. I've found that to be the best way to get enjoyable, well-crafted stories. I personally think that our recent storylines dealing with relationships, grief, and community building would not be interesting to younger readers. We have our animated comics focused on humor and adventure for that'.

So that reads to me that he is enabling the writer to write whatever. To me the social issues do not fit at all and I don't understand why Donatello is not working on a anti-mutagen formula as the number one priority. There are so many holes in what we have seen and questionable character actions.

I personally feel that the current trend of wokeness is being a targeted audience. It's hard not to see it any other way. Also, I want action and adventure. The last storyarc may have had time travel and Razhar and Tokka, but no real action that true me in. Just Bebop and Rocksteady beating up Razhar and Tokka.

Reading the letter response I feel let down.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #34
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Just Bebop and Rocksteady beating up Razhar and Tokka.
Even that was no fun at all, and actually constituted a new low for the pair's depiction considering they beat up on and even mutilated what amounted to two babies/helpless animals. Not a good look.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #35
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Everyone there who might still be interested in doing that openly and honestly is probably terrified of losing their jobs if they don't toe the "diversity" company line, as is the case everywhere else. Which is a shame because I'd really love to hear more about their rationale and plans for bringing back Saki, instead of just endless gushing about how awesome and amazing and perfect Jennika and Lita and the pig and all the new androgynous Mary Sue fanfic characters are.
I just checked and apparently from an interview with Comic book Herald Sophie will still be writing past #123

Do you think IDW would ever make Bobby fully reboot the book or do you think that Mutant Town is going to be the way it is until Nickelodeon hands the publishing rights to someone else? What is it going to take to just tell some stories with the ninja turtles being ninja turtles in it?
Old 06-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #36
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
I just checked and apparently from an interview with Comic book Herald Sophie will still be writing past #123

Do you think IDW would ever make Bobby fully reboot the book or do you think that Mutant Town is going to be the way it is until Nickelodeon hands the publishing rights to someone else? What is it going to take to just tell some stories with the ninja turtles being ninja turtles in it?
If Campbell does continue on past #123, the best we can hope for is the focus shifting away from Mutant Town. Maybe the current shenanigans with Stockman and Hob blow the whole thing wide open (by which I mean bring that plot to a close for now, not necessarily bring down the walls), and the Turtles move on to addressing actual pressing matters. When there's an interdimensional warlord controlling a mutant alligator bent on world domination puttering around out there and you take the time to set up a rooftop greenhouse full of mature plants, you know there's something wrong with you. Or the people who write you.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #37
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
If Campbell does continue on past #123, the best we can hope for is the focus shifting away from Mutant Town. Maybe the current shenanigans with Stockman and Hob blow the whole thing wide open (by which I mean bring that plot to a close for now, not necessarily bring down the walls), and the Turtles move on to addressing actual pressing matters. When there's an interdimensional warlord controlling a mutant alligator bent on world domination puttering around out there and you take the time to set up a rooftop greenhouse full of mature plants, you know there's something wrong with you. Or the people who write you.
They will probably just mutate Pepperoni and take a year or two giving us issues about her love life.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #38
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
They will probably just mutate Pepperoni and take a year or two giving us issues about her love life.
Pepperoni's love life with Anchovy. And a love triangle with a mutant Stegosaurus named Mozzarella. Or hell, why not go for broke and make it Armaggon...

Crap, now I'm giving her ideas.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #39
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Pepperoni's love life with Anchovy. And a love triangle with a mutant Stegosaurus named Mozzarella. Or hell, why not go for broke and make it Armaggon...

Crap, now I'm giving her ideas.
What's spicer than Mutant Town? Mutant Town High School!
Old 06-23-2021, 11:07 AM   #40
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
What's spicer than Mutant Town? Mutant Town High School!
Well, we already have Mutant Town Kindergarten... Just give it time!