The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Mirage's website selling Vol. 4 #30 on ebay...and it's over $400

Wow, I had no idea Volume 4 had gotten this expensive, I know issue 30 had a limited print run but wow

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26521041386...UAAOSwJuZg2MUE

Mirage (Dan Berger) is selling this...I still have all my Vol. 4 copies...do I dare?

Looks like anyone with Vol. 4 could make a small fortune if you sell your copies on ebay.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:54 PM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

Wasn't this the book that was offered on the Mirage website some years back as a "years after the fact" exclusive or something like that?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #3
AquaParade
Banned

The pandemic + The Last Ronin did a huge number on TMNT back issues over the last year. They've all shot up substantially.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:37 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Man, it's almost tempting to sell some of my old stuff on ebay, but I can't until they release new collections. I usually sell single issues when collections come out, but for Mirage comics IDW has pretty much stopped.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:46 PM   #5
slashpieturtlemix
Mad Scientist

I saw that he listed this and Turtlemania # 1. Crazy prices for crazy times it seem. I got a few volume 4 I am sitting on and it looks like they will be worth bank in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/user/hkohles1

https://www.ebay.com/usr/kohlesgoods

https://www.facebook.com/hkohles1gaming
slashpieturtlemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #6
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Issue #29 sells for more than #30 btw
Old 06-29-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Man, it's almost tempting to sell some of my old stuff on ebay, but I can't until they release new collections. I usually sell single issues when collections come out, but for Mirage comics IDW has pretty much stopped.
Well, not that I would be so bold as to tell you what to do with your pinched pennies, but since it's on the table: Why sell? They are sure retain at least some of their value over the coming years, and since you already have plenty saved in the bank and no emergencies to pay for, isn't it cooler to have some of your "currency" in the form of cool tmnt comics?

That'd be my thinking anyway. I definitely understand selling collectables off, but when you're sitting comfortably, might as well keep the cool stuff around until something bad happens, and hey, maybe it'll even grow in value.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I really should have ponied up $10 for one of those when Mirage sold it direct!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Well, not that I would be so bold as to tell you what to do with your pinched pennies, but since it's on the table: Why sell? They are sure retain at least some of their value over the coming years, and since you already have plenty saved in the bank and no emergencies to pay for, isn't it cooler to have some of your "currency" in the form of cool tmnt comics?

That'd be my thinking anyway. I definitely understand selling collectables off, but when you're sitting comfortably, might as well keep the cool stuff around until something bad happens, and hey, maybe it'll even grow in value.
I don't imagine it would be much different 10 years from now. This issue came out in 2009, so it's already over 10+ years old and shot up in price.

If IDW ever puts out Mirage Vol. 4 collections, I can sell off the single issues in a huge lot. Unfortunately IDW currently has no plans to release Vol. 4 in collections, so I have to hold onto them for now. I want the stories obviously, I can't read them if I sell them off. *barring illegal scans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I really should have ponied up $10 for one of those when Mirage sold it direct!
If I knew how much these would go for when we were in 2009, I would have bought 10 extra copies. What's $100 in 2009 money when that would translate to $500 a piece in 2021 money?

I'd be filthy rich.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:51 PM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

I'd be filthy rich.
Wait... aren't you already?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:49 PM   #11
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

TMNT comics across the board have been skyrocketing in value. TMNT #1 2nd printings are going for about what first printings were going for 10 years ago. Even 3rd to 5th printings are getting high prices. It's pretty ridiculous.

You would think they won't go up much more in 10 years, but you might be surprised.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:19 PM   #12
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
TMNT comics across the board have been skyrocketing in value. TMNT #1 2nd printings are going for about what first printings were going for 10 years ago. Even 3rd to 5th printings are getting high prices. It's pretty ridiculous.

You would think they won't go up much more in 10 years, but you might be surprised.
It's true. There was a period of time where I could casually go to a handful of the better LCS's in the Chicago burbs on any given day and find a copy or two of Raphael #1 in the back issue boxes. Now that book is some kind of wall-book grail.

The same goes for most Mirage issues through 25 or so and then again once City At War starts.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:45 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

That always poses the problem, do you sell now, or wait another few years. And for a lot of us, comics have been part of our personal collections for many years (for me over 20+ years since I was a teenager), and of course I still like reading the actual stories in the comics, so I don't want to part with them unless they get collections.

And even then the sentimental value of owning the original copies of a comic as opposed to re-prints in collections years later is also a factor. Seeing single comics sell for over $400 is crazy when you realize you have that issue sitting in your closet collecting dust for 10+ years.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:29 AM   #14
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

It sucks for me though, because it means there will always be a few issues forever out of my grasp. At least I managed to find Image #23.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:35 AM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

The issue is over $500 now and there's still 4 days left. Really curious how high this is going to end.

I still have my copy...
Old 06-30-2021, 07:11 AM   #16
mrmaczaps
Banned

I have 2 copies of 29, 30, 31 & 32...

I remember a few years back when the 29 was selling for $1200-1500 bucks and the 30 was like $800. Even 31 & 32 can get a few hundred bucks each. If mine weren't signed, I'd probably try selling one of each for like $3000 bucks. [not really, I like having 2 of each of those...]
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:13 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm really kicking myself now for not buying extra copies of #29-31 back in 2009 when they were available. Back then I remember thinking $10 for a comic was way too much, and just buying 1 was enough.

Now seeing how much these sell for, if I bought like 10 copies of each back then...I could have been a millionaire
Old 06-30-2021, 01:06 PM   #18
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
I'm really kicking myself now for not buying extra copies of #29-31 back in 2009 when they were available. Back then I remember thinking $10 for a comic was way too much, and just buying 1 was enough.

Now seeing how much these sell for, if I bought like 10 copies of each back then...I could have been a millionaire
You could play that game all day long with anything. We could all be buying stuff to sell later right this moment, but for one reason or another we aren't. The thought is not worth it.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:01 PM   #19
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:

It would be interesting to see 10 copies come to market at once. I wonder if that would make the price drop a bit.

I sold my only copy a few years ago as part of my volume 4 run, which at the time realized a great price, but today would be an insane deal.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:31 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

The day IDW does a Volume 4 collection I might put up my copies, but I'd sell the later issues separate from issue 1-28.