The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #41
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
I myself remember a shot in BATMAN RETURNS that I'm sure never existed, of Catwoman finding her whip in the Schreck department store and grabbing it off a rack.
THAT'S NOT IN THE MOVIE?! Could've sworn it was.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:58 AM   #42
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
THAT'S NOT IN THE MOVIE?! Could've sworn it was.
We never see where she gets it from in the film, but that's the first scene she has it in. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this shot existed.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #43
stcardinal
Foot Soldier

I am not sure what else they could add to make a director's cut. The only scene that I really know of is the end scene where April tries to make them into a comics, but I am glad they cut that scene out because it's too meta for my liking.

I would be interested in seeing a more darker Mikey if that exists, or just extra battle or banter scenes that didn't make the cut to extend it a bit.
stcardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #44
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcardinal View Post
I am not sure what else they could add to make a director's cut. The only scene that I really know of is the end scene where April tries to make them into a comics, but I am glad they cut that scene out because it's too meta for my liking.

I would be interested in seeing a more darker Mikey if that exists, or just extra battle or banter scenes that didn't make the cut to extend it a bit.
Here's a list of most of the known deleted scenes, if this helps:

Alternate Opening: Begins on a shot of a street. A sewer lid pops open and we go down it to the door of Turtle's lair. The sewer lid shot is in the trailer and the rest of the scene is detailed in the graphic novel adaptation.

April Leaves the Station Extended: She walks by a pier. The shot pans down to the water. Shells bob up. This is scene in the trailer.

Alternate/Extended April's Mugging: As shot, Sam Rockwell and his goons are not after April's purse. The implied intentions are far darker. The line "Grad her purse! Grab her purse!" was added in post and is overlaid a quick action shot where you don't see the person saying it. The original scene is detailed in the graphic novel adaptation.

Original Casey Jones Introduction: Casey flips through television, disgruntled by all thefts and muggings in the news.

Extended Casey/Raph Fight

Extended Shredder Intro/Shredder Fights Rockwell's Goons/Alternate Speech: After Shredder approaches the gathering and the carpet is rolled, he fights the gang that attacked April earlier in the film. They were released on bail. He defeats them quickly, while sitting. Apparently, it was not a punishment, but a test. The speech he gives to the wayward teens is different and does not include the "I am your father" line. A single camera angle from the fight can be found on the Turtle Power documentary while parts of the original speech can be heard in the theatrical trailer.

Extended Apartment Fight: Leonardo fights down the stairs and into the shop. Additional clips were included in the first UK cut, including a bit where April pulls a rug under a guy's feet.

Escaping the Fire: They carry Raph into the van.

April's Monologue About Mikey: He's the only one April doesn't talk about. But she originally did. He took Splinter's loss the hardest. In one scene, Mikey obliterates a punching bag. You can only see frames of this scene in the final cut.

Extended Training: There's more focus on the training and Donatello in a cowboy hat.

Alternate Tatsu/Shinso Scene (Kinda): Off-screen coughs and the line "You're going to be okay" were added in post. Shinso was originally killed.

Eastman/Laird Cameo: They played the garbageman manning the garbage truck during the street fight.

Blood Splatter: When Shredder is crushed, there was allegedly a little bit of blood that was cut out.

Extended Ending: The publisher sequence. This was included on a German DVD. Personally, I can live without this scene being in the film. It's a little too meta.

Alternate Origins: Oroku Nagi was originally a part of Splinter's origins.

I believe the screenplay also had a scene where a couple visit the antique shop while April is showing the Turtles around. Also, one of the trading cards had Casey interacting with a well at the farm.

These are just the ones off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing a few.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:03 PM   #45
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Here's a list of most of the known deleted scenes, if this helps:

Alternate Opening: Begins on a shot of a street. A sewer lid pops open and we go down it to the door of Turtle's lair. The sewer lid shot is in the trailer and the rest of the scene is detailed in the graphic novel adaptation.

April Leaves the Station Extended: She walks by a pier. The shot pans down to the water. Shells bob up. This is scene in the trailer.

Alternate/Extended April's Mugging: As shot, Sam Rockwell and his goons are not after April's purse. The implied intentions are far darker. The line "Grad her purse! Grab her purse!" was added in post and is overlaid a quick action shot where you don't see the person saying it. The original scene is detailed in the graphic novel adaptation.

Original Casey Jones Introduction: Casey flips through television, disgruntled by all thefts and muggings in the news.

Extended Casey/Raph Fight

Extended Shredder Intro/Shredder Fights Rockwell's Goons/Alternate Speech: After Shredder approaches the gathering and the carpet is rolled, he fights the gang that attacked April earlier in the film. They were released on bail. He defeats them quickly, while sitting. Apparently, it was not a punishment, but a test. The speech he gives to the wayward teens is different and does not include the "I am your father" line. A single camera angle from the fight can be found on the Turtle Power documentary while parts of the original speech can be heard in the theatrical trailer.

Extended Apartment Fight: Leonardo fights down the stairs and into the shop. Additional clips were included in the first UK cut, including a bit where April pulls a rug under a guy's feet.

Escaping the Fire: They carry Raph into the van.

April's Monologue About Mikey: He's the only one April doesn't talk about. But she originally did. He took Splinter's loss the hardest. In one scene, Mikey obliterates a punching bag. You can only see frames of this scene in the final cut.

Extended Training: There's more focus on the training and Donatello in a cowboy hat.

Alternate Tatsu/Shinso Scene (Kinda): Off-screen coughs and the line "You're going to be okay" were added in post. Shinso was originally killed.

Eastman/Laird Cameo: They played the garbageman manning the garbage truck during the street fight.

Blood Splatter: When Shredder is crushed, there was allegedly a little bit of blood that was cut out.

Extended Ending: The publisher sequence. This was included on a German DVD. Personally, I can live without this scene being in the film. It's a little too meta.

Alternate Origins: Oroku Nagi was originally a part of Splinter's origins.

I believe the screenplay also had a scene where a couple visit the antique shop while April is showing the Turtles around. Also, one of the trading cards had Casey interacting with a well at the farm.

These are just the ones off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing a few.
A lot of these scenes sound REALLY cool, but I think the thing I want to see the most is the Mikey stuff. I always wondered why April never discussed him and that section always felt cut short 'cos there was no mention of Mikey. Seeing a brief glimpse of him in the barn working through his grief in a physical way (working the heavy bag) seemed like a really interesting aspect to Mikey's character development.

All of those scenes sound really cool, and seems like most of them would've only made the movie more thorough (and better in my opinion).
Kevin Eastman Interview

TMNT Collecting Social Media
Instagram : @ZOSOtmnt
ZacksSoUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacksSoUgly View Post
Seeing a brief glimpse of him in the barn working through his grief in a physical way (working the heavy bag) seemed like a really interesting aspect to Mikey's character development.
It was probably some hack in the editing room or otherwise saying, "What? Mikey is upset? That's soooo out of character! Mikey is supposed to be the surfer, kids' heads will explode!"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:15 PM   #47
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It was probably some hack in the editing room or otherwise saying, "What? Mikey is upset? That's soooo out of character! Mikey is supposed to be the surfer, kids' heads will explode!"
RIGHT?!

Especially when you think about the idea of comedians, artists, and musicians who use their talent to work through their own grief and help others work through their's. To me, it would've been really cool to show that the "funny guy" is the one most affected by Splinter's abduction/absence. Mikey's usually doing whatever he can to have fun and make others happy, but what about when he's not happy? Could've made for some really beautiful material.
Kevin Eastman Interview

TMNT Collecting Social Media
Instagram : @ZOSOtmnt
ZacksSoUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #48
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

The editor of the film, Sally Menke, was no hack. Contrary to belief, most of the scenes removed from the film had little to due with darker content, but more to due with pacing.

The best version of this film would remove the ADR lines from the Shenso scene and re-insert the blood squirt from Shredder's death. As far as the other scenes go, simply being able to watch them would be cool.

EDIT: By the way, is that how you spell Shenso's name?

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 06-18-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #49
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The editor of the film, Sally Menke, was no hack. Contrary to belief, most of the scenes removed from the film had little to due with darker content, but more to due with pacing.

The best version of this film would remove the ADR lines from the Shenso scene and re-insert the blood squirt from Shredder's death. As far as the other scenes go, simply being able to watch them would be cool.

Menke was also Tarantino's editing partner and a damn talented one.

From what I understand, the Mikey break-down scene was included in the Barron/Menke edit that was submitted to Golden Harvest. GH continued cutting down the film, handling score, adding soundtrack music, etc.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #50
AquaParade
Banned

I wonder about the music that played during Raphael and Casey meeting for the first time in the park. It has that very goofy baseball-themed music playing in the finished cut.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #51
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
From what I understand, the Mikey break-down scene was included in the Barron/Menke edit that was submitted to Golden Harvest. GH continued cutting down the film, handling score, adding soundtrack music, etc.
Great information! Man, I'd love to see the Menke/Barron cut!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:07 PM   #52
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Great information! Man, I'd love to see the Menke/Barron cut!
Both Peter Laird and Steve Barron have mentioned having a VHS copy!
Old 07-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #53
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
But some people swear up and down that shot was there. Some even claim to have seen a version that was 10 minutes longer, with deleted scenes.
Oh sure but I remember some real hostility from one user on that site when I defended that person and the mod had it in for me so sided with the rude guy.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:10 PM   #54
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacksSoUgly View Post
RIGHT?!

Especially when you think about the idea of comedians, artists, and musicians who use their talent to work through their own grief and help others work through their's. To me, it would've been really cool to show that the "funny guy" is the one most affected by Splinter's abduction/absence. Mikey's usually doing whatever he can to have fun and make others happy, but what about when he's not happy? Could've made for some really beautiful material.
I think if they played up the more "putting on an act to mask the pain" in things, it'd show the whole thing in a different light. Two examples I can think of are Mikey in Back to the Sewer skateboarding around the lair and hitting everyone who's trying to set the place up, laughing the whole time, and Casey getting excited over the prospect of being in space in 2012. Both times a massive tragedy just happened (The Turtles think Splinter is dead, and at the very most he's scattered across the internet and missing, and in the latter the earth just exploded) and without that "I'm just trying to deal with this in my way" scene, it just makes them look like complete assholes.

Quote:
Shinsho, according to the credits.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #55
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I sometimes wonder what kind of effect it'd have on future incarnations of Mikey if they'd kept his "silent rage" scenes in. Maybe he'd be written less as just a comedic wisecracker with a soft heart and more of an sensitive, wreckless pendlulum of jokes and wrath.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:06 AM   #56
Leonardo87
Stone Warrior

Don't forget there is a small scene of April, Donnie, Mikey, and Leo ready to go downstairs as Leo closes it behind him. Also according to Issac there is a scene where a bunch of thugs crowd a kid, who is Ernie Reyes Jr, and he kicks their butts good. I'm sure this is part of the alternative opening.
Leonardo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:21 AM   #57
bwwd
Hench Mutant

Yes i agree that Mikey scene when he dismissed Donnie asking about "what it would be like not having splinter" while waiting for pizza was to buildup his character development/change to screaming on top of the roof and dealing with splinter's loss, it was cut out of the movie which is a dumb move, its was great idea and fit perfectly in the dark atmosphere of the film.
Thats the only movie where turtles were serious.
BUT.. i remember as a kid i thought it was raphael hitting heavy bad and screaming "splinter" so maybe the real reason they changed it was because footage was so dark it was hard to recognize it was mikey and Steve didnt had enought footage for proper buildup of character development for mikey to this scene.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #58
Panther10
Hench Mutant

I might be in the minority here but I would kind of like to see the Director's cut of this movie adapted to 4K resolution. if possible. And please offer it as a trilogy. Those movies really have to be watched as a saga rather than just as a one off. (despite most tmnt's fans objections to the latter two films.)
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:10 PM   #59
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther10 View Post
I might be in the minority here but I would kind of like to see the Director's cut of this movie adapted to 4K resolution. if possible. And please offer it as a trilogy. Those movies really have to be watched as a saga rather than just as a one off. (despite most tmnt's fans objections to the latter two films.)
I would STILL think doing what you suggest is doing the same thing the 1990 movie did... which is sell the TMNT short, while still delivering an... OK movie.

That said, ignoring TMNT 2-4 entirely and just doing a "30 years later" sequel to the first movie (kind of like Robocop is doing now) would be far from the worst route they could take.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:09 AM   #60
willtupper
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

It's also foreshadowing.

"Hey, Mikey. Did you ever think about what Splinter said tonight? I mean about what it would be like, you know, not having him?"

The way it's framed, how it's presented in the story, it looks (at least to me) like Splinter is talking about some time in the future, when he'll be dead.

Only it's more than that.

Because not long after, he's abducted by the Foot. He's taken away from his sons. They quite literally no longer "have him."

It's a brilliant bit of writing, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwd View Post
Yes i agree that Mikey scene when he dismissed Donnie asking about "what it would be like not having splinter" while waiting for pizza was to buildup his character development/change to screaming on top of the roof and dealing with splinter's loss, it was cut out of the movie which is a dumb move, its was great idea and fit perfectly in the dark atmosphere of the film.
willtupper is offline   Reply With Quote