The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which name going forward do you prefer?
TMNT III 12 70.59%
TMNT III Turtles in Time 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
sdp
-

TMNT III: Turtles in Time or no Subtitle?

TMNT III didn't have a subtitle but apparently many people referred to it as Turtles in Time back in the day, I personally never heard it referred to it like that until I heard about it on the internet that some people did. The subtitle became somewhat official when a re-release of the dvds/BRs included the subttitle but it still hasn't been consistently used.

I don't like the retcon of adding a subtitle but it does relate to the plot and makes it stand out more but the thought of it sharing the same title as the awesome Turtles in Time TMNT video game also doesn't make me want to relate that unrelated movie with the original concept of TiT.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
TMNT III didn't have a subtitle but apparently many people referred to it as Turtles in Time back in the day
There's a word for people that did that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Does anyone care enough about this catpiss stain of a movie to wonder if the title could have been better?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #4
sdp
-

Give my poll a chance guys, If we're not going to overthinking it then who will? And plenty of OCD people aren't getting hours of sleep at night thinking why it has become sort of an official subtitle out of nowhere. It's our duty as a fandom since @TMNT tweeted the Turtles in Time subtitle.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
DonnieTello
Mouser

I noticed this recently when I got one of the DVD re-releases. They also used different cover art, with the turtles purposely further in the background. Probably to hide their cheap costumes. It's a bit weird to change the title of a flick that's already been out for years, but I prefer it. Firstly, for the sake of consistency, because the sequel had a subtitle. Plus I think it sounds cooler and adds a little more flavour. But no matter how much they dress up TMNT 3, it's still a crappy movie!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #6
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I just am used to calling it turtles 3, so I don't care too much about adding the subtitles.

It would be kind of like removing "Secret of the Ooze" from the prequel, and just calling it Turtles 2.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I used to call it Turtles in Time because it was used in the dvd trilogy set I have.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teenage-Mut.../dp/B00DVNXW9O

However, nowadays, I just call it TMNT 3, as the subtitle makes little sense (the turtles don’t time hop in the film).
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
snake
Disgusting

It's Turtles 3, but it should really just be called a piece of sh*t.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #9
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

It was marketed as The Turtles are Back: in Time
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #10
Chet
Thug

Yes, the poster did say the turtles are back...in time. For that reason I have no trouble believing it was called Turtles in Time unofficially going all the way back.

That said I prefer not to call it Turtles in Time, for the sake of avoiding confusion with the game.
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:27 PM   #11
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
It was marketed as The Turtles are Back: in Time
That was the tagline on the poster. TMNT III had no additional title.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #12
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
That said I prefer not to call it Turtles in Time, for the sake of avoiding confusion with the game.

It wouldn't be the first time a game and a movie share a subtitle and are completely unrelated

Old 03-19-2019, 02:09 AM   #13
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I never recall the third film being called Turtles in Time as a child, even unofficially.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #14
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I think the movie poster tagline was "The Turtles are back... in time!"

I don't recall the "Turtles in Time" moniker ever being associated with the film until the film started getting re-released on DVD during the mid-2000s. I have the original DVD release, but I don't think that had the additional title anywhere on the disc. Some of the more recent cases started doing that, and it was dumb.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #15
Overlord

Dvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I think the movie poster tagline was "The Turtles are back... in time!"

I don't recall the "Turtles in Time" moniker ever being associated with the film until the film started getting re-released on DVD during the mid-2000s. I have the original DVD release, but I don't think that had the additional title anywhere on the disc. Some of the more recent cases started doing that, and it was dumb.
This DVD, released in the USA in September 2002 by Warner Home Video, doesn't have any tagline

http://mutantooze.org/ninjaturtles/html/dvd_movies.htm
Old 03-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #16
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
This DVD, released in the USA in September 2002 by Warner Home Video, doesn't have any tagline

http://mutantooze.org/ninjaturtles/html/dvd_movies.htm
It seems like such a little and obvious thing, but it's so refreshing to see the cases reflecting the actual movie. Nowadays, every TMNT release (disc or digital) uses the worst possible, zoomed-in images of the 3rd movie costume heads.

As bad as the third-movie heads look, I think the actual film made strategic use of the shogun costumes to obscure them for a good chunk of the movie.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #17
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
It seems like such a little and obvious thing, but it's so refreshing to see the cases reflecting the actual movie. Nowadays, every TMNT release (disc or digital) uses the worst possible, zoomed-in images of the 3rd movie costume heads.

As bad as the third-movie heads look, I think the actual film made strategic use of the shogun costumes to obscure them for a good chunk of the movie.
It usually uses the image when the turtles ride horses in feudal Japan.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #18
pferreira
Foot Elite

'Turtles in Time' sounds like something kids called the film around school because they got it mixed up with the Snes game. It was always called TMNT III and should always be called that. Not sure how the Snes subtitle for the third movie even makes sense considering it's never called that on screen.

Now I better argument would be what to call the third Highlander movie: The Final Dimension (boo!) or The Sorcerer (the correct title that makes sense).
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #19
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
'Turtles in Time' sounds like something kids called the film around school because they got it mixed up with the Snes game. It was always called TMNT III and should always be called that. Not sure how the Snes subtitle for the third movie even makes sense considering it's never called that on screen.
Because they both involve time travel.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #20
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Does anyone care enough about this catpiss stain of a movie to wonder if the title could have been better?
Plus, it seems a bit disrespectful to the SNES game since it was, you know, actually a quite solid game.

That being said, I cannot hate TMNT III now that the Bay Turtle films exist. Not that I ever hated TMNT III in the first place despite it being a bad movie, but at least I feel like it had good intentions. Bay films however... I'm still convinced someone had it for Turtle fans or held a grudge against the property and wanted to make it the possibly worst thing ever. And it could have been even worst since Shredder was originally supposed ot be White and the Turtles aliens. It was still garbage, but to think it could have been EVEN WORSE really says something about it.

TMNT III was bad, but rather harmless in the grand scheme of things. I don't think people behind it meant any harm with it.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote