The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like the idea of the turtles being aleins?
Absolutly! 5 2.70%
It doesn't matter to me 29 15.68%
Terrible! 151 81.62%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #41
TurtleMaster4
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
This thread title is very misleading, not to mention exceedingly premature. Michael Bay never said such a thing. We don't really know anything yet. Calm down.

yea sorry dudes i guess it is misleading, i wasn't thinking at all when i typed it, i guess turtles from another planet would have been a better way at putting it, and i guess it really isn't bays faught too, if this is true, is there any way to change the title, my guess is no
TurtleMaster4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #42
Killer Moth
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That one sentence will haunt me all day.

"These Turtles are from an alien race..."

Is accidental dousing with radioactive ooze really that passè?
It's more the standards involviing "suspension of disbelief" has changed over the years. The Silver Age comics tend to do quirks of fates in their origins (Spider-Man, Daredevil, Incredible Hulk), whereas, modern day audiences are shifting to more realistic fare or tend to believe such accidential origins could only work through contrivences. "Chet just happened to be there holding the turtles when the canister just happened to hit the bowl, and so forth." The rest, as many on here have noticed, it's trying to make the Turtles more special or connected than they are. (For a character take, note SOTO's Don's reaction when he discovered their origin was truly an accident.)

A comic example would be John Byrne's Chapter One with Spider-Man. He wanted to cut down the amount of atomic explosions which created quite a few Marvel characters. It didn't quite work, but in theory, that's the direction modern storytelling seems to take and increasing so in recent years.
Killer Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #43
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

So accidents are too contrived and unrealistic, but everything in the book being completely interconnected isn't?

I'll never understand modern storytelling logic.

(NOTE: this isn't meant to be snarky at you, Moth, but the industry.)

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #44
Killer Moth
Hench Mutant

Quote:
So accidents are too contrived, but everything in the book being completely interconnected isn't?

I'll never understand modern storytelling logic.
Interesting way to looking at it, but I don't disagree. The other theory being the "simple vs. complex" form of storytelling, as modern storytelling tends to take the latter (and often becomes too complicated or convoluted). Even so, the Mirage origin actually has both (the simple with the Turtles' mutation; the complex with the Yoshi/Shen/Nagi love triangle and its blowback), a rather nice melding of the two. Meanwhile, how the premise will treat the Yoshi/Shen/Nagi love triangle, as that tends to involve the most change for obvious reasons, will be the most telling. The first movie did a good job streamlining it, while the 87 series omitted quite a bit, etc. We'll see, as that is key for their motivation, regardless of being space or sewer Turtles.

Anyway, TurtleMaster4's point is valid, as we just got the one plot detail and how much we should panic over it. Then again, we got the time to navel gaze now, as opposed to later. Between the new Nicktoon and leaked and actual in-depth movie plot details, we'll be keeping busy.

Edit: No offense taken, at all, Jester. The industry has that effect on me, too. I appreciate the addendum, though.

Last edited by Killer Moth; 03-17-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Killer Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord

As soon as Michael Bay came into the movie I knew everything would go downhill.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #46
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Aliens? Their suppose to be MUTANTS. You know, freaks of nature, product of science gone wrong, outcasts, that sort of stuff. But aliens? Yeah they were created because of an alien product, but they aren't aliens. Doesn't Bay know this? I am still excited, though now I am more uneasy about this film...

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #47
Brodie
Certified Teacher

This is the most retarded ****ing thread I've seen in a long time.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #48
jaymq
Hench Mutant

Made a page.. eh, like if you want and share your thoughts http://www.facebook.com/BoycottBayturtles

Clarifying a few things:

I made this page cause _I_ felt he has no place dealing in a turtles movie. If you feel differently, that's all you and I could care less. But don't come to the page just to start crap with me. I -can- block people from the page. I prefer not to, but if people are gonna be twats about it, I will take advantage of the option.

Last edited by jaymq; 03-17-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: clarification
jaymq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #49
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Wow. It just gets dumber doesn't it?

He's just an executive producer. Calm the f*ck down.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #50
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

You're all so Goddamned quick to blow your loads, holy sh*t.

Minute men, the lot of you.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #51
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Minute men, the lot of you.
I've always liked the phrase "five pump chump".
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #52
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Look another case of "Know what's gonna be said before the thread it opened."

Brodie and Stryker already said their piece, so who would of thunk Cure would get in on the fun?

The correct answer is "Everyone."

Old 03-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #53
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Oh please. Shut it. This whole thing is ridiculous.

@~<3 Mom~@
Old 03-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #54
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Say what you will about the three of us posting around the same time about stuff like this,but don't question if I'm a fan of the turtles or not--that Turtle tattoo I have would require much more explaining if I didn't like them.

But this is another case of fans overreacting to what is essentially not news.

Bay is a goddamned idiot, no question. Its been said in this thread that Bay was pushed out to talk about Turtles because he's a huge name, especially in relationship to what essentially equates to "toy movies." He's tied to exec producer. Shock and gasps. He was on the other Platinum Dune flicks too. You know what that means he did? SHoveled out money. He knew NOTHING of what was going on with any of those movies.

The mother ****er walked out of Friday the 13th, because he stated there was too much sex in the movie.

MICHAEL GODDAMNED BAY said this. And he produced it, so clearly he would have knowledge of something like that, right? Being in the script. Then the editing. Etcetera. But he didn't. Because he ****ing does NOTHING with movies he produces. Those movies might not be popular, but he didn't really touch them.

So am I worried about Bay being involved with the Turtles? No. Because he's an idiot who makes 3 hour long music videos and says stupid **** constantly. He didn't know anything about the Turtles prior to the film being handled by his production company. So does it surprise me that he thinks they're aliens? No. "Its a toy movie right? Aliens, right?"

And the turtles have always had some sort of connection to alien-origin, with the ooze and such. Not really a stretch.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #55
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

True, we are blowing one sentence from a guy who may have next to nothing to do with the film way out of the water, but it's a fan site, it's what we do.

I wish Nick/Paramount had done/will do 2 things:
1. Give Bay accurate information so he doesn't sound like a complete idiot when he stands up there and says things like they're from an alien race.
or
2. Come out and say Bay was talking out of his sphincter and reassure fans that they wouldn't do something that completely rewrites the origin needlessly.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #56
Dirty Blond
Stone Warrior

I find Michael Bay to be a hack. He's not even ironically bad. He's just lousy.
Dirty Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #57
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Look another case of "Know what's gonna be said before the thread it opened."

Brodie and Stryker already said their piece, so who would of thunk Cure would get in on the fun?

The correct answer is "Everyone."
If you can give me a solid reason or justification for everyone being so quick to judge something that they know nothing of, I will secede. Otherwise, go tend to your troll wife. I'm sure being pregnant with your child has taken a toll on her well being, already.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #58
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I take him with a grain of salt. Sure he has had movies that are trash, but he's done some good (or at least entertaining) flicks. And besides his role will probably be very VERY minimal... unless Paramount/Viacom wants him to be more hands on since they like the Transformers flicks (I mean...they do make truckloads of cash, despite the quality.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
If you can give me a solid reason or justification for everyone being so quick to judge something that they know nothing of, I will secede. Otherwise, go tend to your troll wife. I'm sure being pregnant with your child has taken a toll on her well being, already.
I'd respond with the classic, "Welcome to the internet!" but that only seems to work as a valid argument in the video game forum...

Old 03-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #59
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
True, we are blowing one sentence from a guy who may have next to nothing to do with the film way out of the water, but it's a fan site, it's what we do.

I wish Nick/Paramount had done/will do 2 things:
1. Give Bay accurate information so he doesn't sound like a complete idiot when he stands up there and says things like they're from an alien race.
or
2. Come out and say Bay was talking out of his sphincter and reassure fans that they wouldn't do something that completely rewrites the origin needlessly.

Just because "It's what 'we' do" doesn't mean it's any less overblown and stupid.

Expecting Paramount to come out and apologize for MICHAEL BAY's comments is crazy. It's insane to me that people here demand that these huge companies personally apologize and explain themselves with every step they take.

It's not going to happen. How about we just wait until the movie is closer to release and you know, NOT NEARLY TWO YEARS AWAY.

@~<3 Mom~@
Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #60
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Tags
cancelled media, depressing, gay