The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

[Spoilers] Which revelation from the proposed Ninja Turtles script is the best/worst?

The thread title says it all, and if you think this could already be discussed mods go right ahead and kill it, but what part of the proposed Ninja Turtles script was the best and which do you feel is the worst.

Best first, I actually liked Bebop and Rocksteady. Yes, after their initial loss to the Turtles they kinda reverted to the bumbling buffoons of the FW show, but their attack on Splinter was rather refreshing to see. I also liked the Turtles storming the Technodrome stuff. Felt like an updated slightly less silly version of the FW series. I agree with the person who mentioned, April as a small town girl who moves to the Big Apple works for me. It adds to her plucky personality.

For me, oddly enough because there's precedence for it and it still bugs me, it's Shredder being an alien. Then again, maybe the bigger issue is the fact that he's not even an alien impersonating Oroku Saki, but an alien using the oh so clever name Schrader. That was enough to make me cringe. The Turtles as aliens (or are they extra-dimensional beings?)was weird...especially the whole "Alien (Extra-Dimensional)Turtles with decidedly Earth Renaissance names" came off as weird. Casey as Sam Whitwicky Light was also a bit maddening. This is Ninja Turtles not the Adventures of Casey and the Turtles. Splinter's role was way to small and confusing. That and for a ninja master he seems to get beaten up...a lot. And don't get me started on the "Insert Turtle Here goes in to his shell and wackiness ensues!!" stuff.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Bob
Stone Warrior

What they’ve done to Shredder and the Foot is the biggest sin of this script. Also, I don’t like the way that Casey and April have seemingly been flipped over.

I like Bebop and Rocksteady. They are, oddly enough, the most faithful characters. Krang has potential, too, but they really should give him more to do.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

I think the best aspect of it, is that it sort of seems to be a Casey Jones movie. He's the main focus of it. & I actually really do dig the Bebop & Rocksteady aspect of it.

The Shredder thing is the worst part, I think. Even the next gen TMNT reveal at the end was less of a blow than that to me.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I dunna, Powder. Casey's the man, don't get me wrong, but this is the Turtles movie. Reading it made me think far too often of the Transformers movies, where despite the title implying it's mainly about robots in disguise it's about Shia LeBeouf. Casey deserves better.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

Schrader and the Turtle Warriors are the worst, IMO.

I also agree with Jester that, while Casey's awesome, the movie is called Ninja Turtles. They should be the focus.
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Casey's the man, don't get me wrong, but this is the Turtles movie. Reading it made me think far too often of the Transformers movies, where despite the title implying it's mainly about robots in disguise it's about Shia LeBeouf. Casey deserves better.
I have to agree with Jester on this one. While I haven't read the script, I do get the feeling this is basically the same formula Michael Bay's Transformers trilogy had. All they need now is a random Turtle that acts like Flava Flave!

www.jephael.com

Last edited by Jephael; 08-24-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

"Believe!"

If that wasn't a line scripted for inclusion in a movie trailer, than I'll be a monkey's uncle.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
"Believe!"
How could I forget that colossal turd?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
How could I forget that colossal turd?
Or in the exact same scene.

"You're gonna need balls... And not the ones you're thinkin' of."
Old 08-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

First, I want to get this out of the way, I don't care for Bebop and Rocksteady in this screenplay. I don't care for them being here, and I don't care for how they are handled. From the moment they entered the film, they were silly. They should be menacing, but they aren't. In fact, the villains in the screenplay are al handled poorly.

The best thing about the screenplay? Hmmm... I enjoyed a few scenes here and there. But there wasn't a single concept about it that I loved. Nothing felt definitive or really worth paying $12 at the cinema for. In fact, it pretty much read like a DTV animated movie. A movie for people who don't by people who don't.

Not to say everything about it was bad, but it all in all, it was mostly generic.

The worst thing? The dialogue and jokes were pretty bad. The worst part was definitely the sexy turtle chick at the end. That was stupid. The dialogue was fairly generic, mostly pointing out a-typical plot points we've seen in a billion movies by now. I don't mind Casey Jones and April as teenagers/twenty-somethings, but I felt they were handled poorly in that aspect. Casey was handled better than April, who didn't seem to have much of a personality (which is on par with how young woman are typically handled in most of today's movies, like Transformers and Twilight). She was fairly boring, and didn't have much of a personality.

But, I dunno, I really hated the prophecy stuff.

By the way, the good news is that Shia is saying that he only wants to do experimental films from now on. The bad news, there are a handful of equally un-charismatic actors to take his place. Taylor Kitsch, for example.

I agree on the Transformers vibe. Some of the jokes and antics are on par with the unnecessary jokes and antics of the Transformers films. The tone seems on par with that, especially since the Turtles can seemingly do anything they want, like knock a forklift around like its nothing. I hope they tone that stuff down a bit, and give the action scenes more weight.

By the way, so was there supposed to be a race of Rat People in Dimension X? And they're all 17, yet Mikey is the "youngest?"

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 08-24-2012 at 09:37 PM.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most, if not all of it was terrible.

I don't mind new takes on the characters, the IDW series shook up the TMNT backstory pretty well but managed to make it enjoyable and true to the characters in the process.

Also making it a Casey movie with the Turtles as side characters rubs me the wrong way. I'm all for Casey getting good screentime but they're just making him and April the leads for stupid teenage girls to see the movie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #12
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap-Happy View Post
Or in the exact same scene.

"You're gonna need balls... And not the ones you're thinkin' of."
I actually thought that was kinda funny.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #13
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
First, I want to get this out of the way, I don't care for Bebop and Rocksteady in this screenplay. I don't care for them being here, and I don't care for how they are handled. From the moment they entered the film, they were silly. They should be menacing, but they aren't.
Totally agree. They don't have enough to do. They show up for the Splinter fight, and then at the end. They couldv'e been easily replaced by a couple of "Foot" Soldiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Also making it a Casey movie with the Turtles as side characters rubs me the wrong way. I'm all for Casey getting good screentime but they're just making him and April the leads for stupid teenage girls to see the movie.
If anything, it should've been April. I think she's a better character for the audience to take the journey with.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer

I think the only way we will enjoy this movie is by setting our expectations as low as possible. I mean come on it wont be that bad right? Right?
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
PAAATE
Stone Warrior

There was no specific part of it I hated, but the overall feel was very... generic, and it bored me. With the right director and good actors it might make a decent flick. Kinda like Prometheus, which to me was generic and predictable, but still enjoyable.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #16
Slade
god status

It had aspects of too many other movies. A little bit of Transformers, with Casey replacing Sam. The Super Mario Bros. Movie, the bad guy wants to merge the worlds together. Superman, parents are dying, send the kids away. But the worst part was that as I was reading, I feel like I could be reading something about the turtles, but at the same time, this really isn't the turtles at all. Their names are all they, but they're just...wrong..and that just reminds me of DragonBall Evolution.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

The prophecy aspect was over the top. And, speaking of over the top, I think it was apparent that this movie would have/will have a lot bouncy, cartoony, over the top CGI stunts where the Turtles can do literally everything, breaking every single law of physics. I can see a Transformer kicking a forklift into the air, but a Ninja Turtle? I like how they are strong and agile, but some of the things described are a bit too much.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
Bob
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
The prophecy aspect was over the top. And, speaking of over the top, I think it was apparent that this movie would have/will have a lot bouncy, cartoony, over the top CGI stunts where the Turtles can do literally everything, breaking every single law of physics. I can see a Transformer kicking a forklift into the air, but a Ninja Turtle? I like how they are strong and agile, but some of the things described are a bit too much.
Also, aren’t the Turtles actually described as being “enormous” (I think that’s actually the word used)? I believe they’re said to be around six foot five, with Raphael being even bigger. I mean, that Turtle Warrior they encounter is said to be eight feet tall!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Also, aren’t the Turtles actually described as being “enormous” (I think that’s actually the word used)? I believe they’re said to be around six foot five, with Raphael being even bigger. I mean, that Turtle Warrior they encounter is said to be eight feet tall!
I can see them being 6 feet tall. And, apparently, strong as all get out. I guess they are "extra-dimensional beings," but it makes you wonder why they're not taking peoples' heads off when they can easily kick a forklift into the air...
Old 08-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #20
Allio
Foot Elite

I got mixed feelings...

I liked the ninja mission of getting April and Casey through the next room
The on the road fight probably would of looked well in motion
Casey... it was one of the most depth the character had
The Turtles escape
some of the jokes were good

bad... everything what everyone says
also... Krang is in it... don't get me wrong, I don't mind him, it's just Krang is already in the current comic series and going to be in the new toon, just kind of tired of seeing him, that's all

if I saw this movie in theater? it would probably be a nice popcorn flick

I liked the personalities of the Turtles, shockingly Raphael has the most depth.
I also liked the talk about them growing apart, but that seemed more of a sequel scenario... and then the ending for the movie felt like... Yep, no sequels guys, the turtles will never meet one another ever again.

if I had the chance to change one thing, it would be the alien thing... keep the turtle warrior, but make the twist that the four turtle warriors that were destined to fight were already killed by Krang, and the boys were still regular turtles that were mutated

Tags
cancelled media, live-action films, scripts