The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 01-12-2024, 06:30 AM   #181
ZariusTwo
Overlord

If you think this is a backlog, wait 'till I share the list of fan projects announced by Black Glove Studio over the last two years.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 11:22 PM   #182
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

One guy on YouTube said a very good point about the decline of Hasbro:

“I think it’s the Eternals and the Black Panther Wakanda Forever [merchandise] that have quintupled the amount of damage done to society than the Rose Tico doll. Like, the Rose Tico doll is bad, but the amount of Wakanda Forever stuff that was at Ollie’s stacked to the ceiling and at Target at the same time, that’s when it’s really bad. Because the way the merchandise retail works, you have your main stores, like your Targets and Walmarts, Toys R Us in the past, FYE, places that sell that. When it gets to the discount stuff and it’s at the main store at the same time, you really have a stinker on your hands.

And everybody wants to place blame: ‘kids don’t buy toys, this, this, and that.’ We know. There are statistics out there, I’m friends with people that own their own toy company. The adults are the ones that are buying this stuff, the collectors. There’s a reason why Hasbro has their HasLabs that cost $500, but those aren’t for kids. A kid doesn’t care about Giant-Man. A kid doesn’t care about Galactus. A kid doesn’t really want to be a Ghostbuster; maybe some kids do and that’s great, but overall a kid isn’t going to ask their mom and dad to buy them a $400 Proton Pack.

Hasbro needs to understand and the mainstream media needs to understand that while you want to make merchandise for families and kids, it’s stupid to force stuff on the group of people that aren’t gonna buy it. Much like with the Star Wars merchandise or Star Wars in general, you try to make something that’s not for that audience, and you ruin it for everyone else. And so what happens is you get price increases, you get shortage, supply of chain issues, and the number one problem is you tick off retailers. And so we can talk about about mainstream wanting to ignore, you know, the news doesn’t want to acknowledge, but when Walmart and Target, two of the biggest people on the planet in terms of businesses, don’t want to buy your stuff, that’s the real problem. It’s not about what the press or what people on the Internet say. It’s that Walmart and Target are shrinking their store sections dedicated to the Hasbro stuff.

Other toys are still big. You want to talk about merchandise, Mattel’s WWE line to Mattel as a whole, they had a record year. They’re talking Barbie sales are through the roof because of the movie. The WWE stuff sells constantly. They always got new stuff out. Hasbro and their Marvel stuff is a little creaky, and Star Wars, it’s blink-and-you-miss-it. They got rid of all the new characters, it’s just Luke Skywalker again. But Luke Skywalker doesn’t sell to little kids because they spent nine years taking a dump on the dude. So it’s all their own doing and it’s glorious.”
Old 02-06-2024, 08:38 PM   #183
neatoman
Emperor

The company may or may not get split up into different companies:

https://deadline.com/2024/02/disney-...rd-1235816079/

https://www.morningstar.com/news/mar...in-proxy-fight
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 11:29 AM   #184
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The Disney Movie Club will close in May, citing declining sales in physical media

https://cordcuttersnews.com/disney-m...blu-ray-sales/
Old 02-21-2024, 01:22 AM   #185
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The Disney Movie Club will close in May, citing declining sales in physical media

https://cordcuttersnews.com/disney-m...blu-ray-sales/
Isn’t this where the exclusive posters and other bits were also sold too?
Old 02-21-2024, 01:33 AM   #186
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Isn’t this where the exclusive posters and other bits were also sold too?
Yeah, all of that were perks of the subscription.

In a follow-up to the story, it appears all physical distribution of Disney will be handled by Sony going forward

https://deadline.com/2024/02/disney-...nt-1235832034/
Old 02-21-2024, 09:39 AM   #187
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"It’s the latest sign of the decline of the physical disc trade"

Didn't we just read a ton of stories about everywhere being sold out of Oppenheimer 4K blu-rays and people getting pissed? "Latest sign"? Yeah, they'd like that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:28 AM   #188
IMJ
Emperor

Here is the real decline that nobody wants to talk about - the DVD industry was propped up for decades by collectors buying movies that they were even only remoted interested in. Those kinds of movies that you saw and said "oh that one was solid, I'll pick it up to watch it again".

But here is what happened - the internet made it so that you no longer spent the money on the "halfway there flick that was decent" because you could download it. And now people want to buy the movies they love, but only the movies that make the "I love it" cut.

That thinking and availability cuts a swath out of what most consumers would buy.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 02:11 PM   #189
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
are you actually trying to imply physical media is a thing in 2024
People are buying vinyl records, record store day is still a thing, CDs are making a comeback and clearly from all of the conversation there is still people who want physical movies. So your point? Destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
and it's only the powers that be are trying to take it away ?
The free market has stabilized the output by demand, and the mechanism of action for that is likely close to what I described two posts above. And so with that rebalancing in mind, then yes - the powers at be are trying to take it away. They want to control the content with streaming and they want to pull licenses for redeployment at a later date to make more money.

So I wouldn't have gone as deep as you were trying to trap people in a "conspiracy argument", but I'd say the explanations I just gave are acceptable to most rational people.

Why would you take a side against that instead of just discussing the situation for what it is?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 02:37 PM   #190
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

TPTB didn't really actively go after physical media until around 2017. That's when you started to see things like, you buy a blu-ray but the ONLY way to watch the "unrated" version is to put in a code and watch it online... that you got by buying the blu-ray. Thus de-incentivizing you from even popping the blu-ray in.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 04:40 PM   #191
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
But here is what happened - the internet made it so that you no longer spent the money on the "halfway there flick that was decent" because you could download it. And now people want to buy the movies they love, but only the movies that make the "I love it" cut.
I know we don’t agree on swathes of things, but that’s been my thinking on the subject matter for quite a while.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:45 AM   #192
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Iger has quietly ordered the cancelation of several MCU movies

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...ce-1235843133/