The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-11-2024, 07:10 PM   #4821
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleManiac View Post
It is a very liberal company. I recall hearing somewhere that Flynn has a “trans kid” or something. He’s also posted about liberal talking points such as “transgender day of visibility” and other leftwing political beliefs, and condemns “MAGA” as terrorists. He’s posted anti-Trump stuff on his social media, and of course jumped on the whole “J6 insurrection” hype. Politicizing a toy company… way to alienate half the potential customer base.
Well, now I hope they DON'T make Usagi. I'd hate to be put in the position of buying a toy I've really been looking for because the guy from the company producing it posts his personal beliefs on social media. Like, who does that?
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 07:20 PM   #4822
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Well, now I hope they DON'T make Usagi. I'd hate to be put in the position of buying a toy I've really been looking for because the guy from the company producing it posts his personal beliefs on social media. Like, who does that?
I don't care either way, a company's (or a particular representative's) political/philosophical stance generally does not affect my buying purchases unless they happen to be egregiously pro-war or something. I don't think it makes sense to anthropomorphize toy companies.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 07:02 AM   #4823
mikey see
Mad Scientist

I think Otter was being sarcastic.

Personally I actually kind of appreciate that Brian has the guts to take some stands for what he believes in. He's got to know he's alienating a bunch of potential customers and he does it anyway. Whether you agree with whatever side he's on, you have to admit that that takes some balls.

Anyway, I think it's wild that they announced they were canceling both Simpsons and Disney, two absolutely huge lines... and then they announced a super niche D&D line the very next day. That ALSO takes some balls. I feel bad for anyone getting excited about that line because they're likely in for some disappointment.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 07:35 AM   #4824
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

The D&D line looks cool, and I have a feeling the figures may end up being better than Hasbro's attempt at them... buuuuut I'd hate to end up with an incomplete collection, so until I know for sure that all 6 kids are released, I'm gonna take a wait and see attitude. I know how Super7 works, and I know that low pre-orders is what leads to cancellations, but I really don't wanna potentially be stuck with an unfinished team.

I think at this point the only Super7 Ultimates I'm still gonna keep going forward with are TMNT and MMPR, and mostly cuz with those ones the main characters are already released, so everything else that comes out is a bonus now. But I'm incredibly gun shy about pulling the trigger on any new IP they bring out.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 12:30 PM   #4825
Sumac
Banned

Quite a disappointment to hear that some people making amazing looking remakes of classic toyline support garbage.

But, well, not I that have money to buy them right now anyway. Maybe someday in a future I will get them, from resellers, when the line is canceled, lol.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 12:57 PM   #4826
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
The D&D line looks cool, and I have a feeling the figures may end up being better than Hasbro's attempt at them... buuuuut I'd hate to end up with an incomplete collection, so until I know for sure that all 6 kids are released, I'm gonna take a wait and see attitude.
That seems like the best approach to take. I can't tell if I like the Hasbro or S7 versions better. I feel that Hank looks better from S7 and Sheila looks better from Hasbro, but it's too early to tell based on renders. I already collected half of the Hasbro line and thought that some characters looked more faithful to the show than others, will probably complete that line at some point.

On a side note, I am surprised that Super7 (or any company for that matter) haven't explored making 6 or 7 inch pilots from the classic and/or modern Voltron shows. Netflix Castlevania would also translate well into figure format. So would Dino Riders Valorians and Rulons.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:37 PM   #4827
TurtleManiac
Stone Warrior

Of course the company owner has every right to voice his political beliefs, but in the long run might not be the smartest business decision. I wouldn’t exactly call it “stunning and brave” though, if it’s the same woke ideology that all the major corporations and institutions are virtue signaling with, all aligning with big gov and Hollywood agenda.

Anyway, these figures look cool but I haven’t got any of the Super 7 TMNT, I simply don’t have the space or even the money to start collecting another TMNT line. Been so busy keeping up with the NECA movie and toon lineup. I do like the first wave of these Super 7 though, might eventually just get at least the 4 turtles, maybe a few more of the main characters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24478755@N08/
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 04:40 PM   #4828
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleManiac View Post
if it’s the same woke ideology that all the major corporations and institutions are virtue signaling with, all aligning with big gov and Hollywood agenda..
And it is...see their T-shirt tag messages.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 01:40 AM   #4829
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
The D&D line looks cool, and I have a feeling the figures may end up being better than Hasbro's attempt at them... buuuuut I'd hate to end up with an incomplete collection, so until I know for sure that all 6 kids are released, I'm gonna take a wait and see attitude. I know how Super7 works, and I know that low pre-orders is what leads to cancellations, but I really don't wanna potentially be stuck with an unfinished team.
I preordered Hank and Sheila. If I were only to get two of the kids, it would be those two. I'd also like Bobby (and Uni, who I assume would be included as a pack-in), but I've got no interest in Eric or Presto, who annoyed me as a kid.

That said, I'm confident Super7 will produce the whole team. It would only require three waves, which we got out of Disney and Simpsons. (The cancellation of which sounds like it had as much to do with Disney's unmet expectations as it did with underperformance of the lines.)
Old 01-13-2024, 04:55 PM   #4830
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

While their political beliefs align with mine, I'm not a fan of their business practices. That interview was odd because it felt weird to admit that you were selling well at one point openly, but now things seem to have cooled off and lines have to be canceled because of lack of interest/profit to justify the licensing.

Truthfully, I've been out of following them for a few months but any time I see a new update I continue to be unimpressed.

Also Wave 7 shipping in May of 2024 is outrageously long.
Old 01-14-2024, 01:23 AM   #4831
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
While their political beliefs align with mine, I'm not a fan of their business practices. That interview was odd because it felt weird to admit that you were selling well at one point openly, but now things seem to have cooled off and lines have to be canceled because of lack of interest/profit to justify the licensing.

Truthfully, I've been out of following them for a few months but any time I see a new update I continue to be unimpressed.

Also Wave 7 shipping in May of 2024 is outrageously long.
Yes, keeping politics out of this thread (the toys board has been one of the last safe spaces for that for so long), this is purely on S7 - the price is too high, the quality too low, and the character selection too poor. No regular family members for Simpsons, Disney was all over the place. Sure hardcore fans may be impressed with how deep some of the cuts were but are even they going to buy them? (Clearly not!)

When you pick The Rescuers for your make or break wave you know your selection process is messed up. I’m not saying going with a 90s renaissance property would have saved the line but at least give it a chance!

At least TMNT we got most of the core characters before they went to the deeper cuts. I used to support them but I have no faith at all they will handle 2003 right so I just hope they can finish my few remaining vintage wants before the almost inevitable end.

I still hope we get Fugitoid, Traag, Tokka, Razhar, Chrome Dome, Groundchuck, Dirtbag, and hopefully Kala & Dask to finish the Neutrinos. Super Shredder would be cool as well but I need the others more.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 02:52 AM   #4832
Otter
Stone Warrior

No love for Usagi?
Old 01-14-2024, 03:19 AM   #4833
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Fugitoid, Traag, Chrome Dome, Groundchuck, Dirtbag, Super Shredder
Yeah, those are very important.
However, I am not sure how do you remake Playmates Super Shredder without making him looking like ****?

Playmates S. Shredder was quick slapdash recolor of Slice'n'Dice Shredder who was kinda based on Mirage version of Shredder. As a result he looked like a midget Shredder, which is hilarious considering he supposed to be at least head taller than anyone else.
Old 01-14-2024, 03:37 AM   #4834
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
No love for Usagi?
If they make him then absolutely, I’m just not sure on the rights situation so trying not to get my hopes up for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Yeah, those are very important.
However, I am not sure how do you remake Playmates Super Shredder without making him looking like ****?

Playmates S. Shredder was quick slapdash recolor of Slice'n'Dice Shredder who was kinda based on Mirage version of Shredder. As a result he looked like a midget Shredder, which is hilarious considering he supposed to be at least head taller than anyone else.
Yeah, that is a very good point. I guess I’m hoping they’ll make him a bigger figure like they’ve done with some of the other mutants. More what he should have been than the repaint he actually was.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 12:15 PM   #4835
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post

This is where S7 excels. They will likely rebalance the scale as their figures tend to be more or less upscaled vintage (although they are moving further and further away from that design philosophy).

I would imagine that it would look like the excellent BST AXN Super Shredder, but bulkier/chonkier with respect to width and depth

[the glow-in-the-dark aspect of the BST AXN Super Shredder was the gimmickiest yet with only its eyes glowing but barely...so dumb...maybe S7 can make it glow for real as that is their forte]

Last edited by Dask; 01-14-2024 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 01:21 PM   #4836
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
This is where S7 excels. They will likely rebalance the scale as their figures tend to be more or less upscaled vintage (although they are moving further and further away from that design philosophy).

I would imagine that it would look like the excellent BST AXN Super Shredder, but bulkier/chonkier with respect to width and depth

[the glow-in-the-dark aspect of the BST AXN Super Shredder was the gimmickiest yet with only its eyes glowing but barely...so dumb...maybe S7 can make it glow for real as that is their forte]
They basically need to remade figure from scratch, since nothing except for helmet of original figure resembles S. Shredder from a movie. Body is completely different for one. And spikes are just plastic pads on top of Slice'n'Dice Shredder build.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:35 AM   #4837
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

An Ultimates Super Shredder is primed with re-use potential just like NECA's - standard version, purple armor variant, Chef Boyardee black variant and a glow-in-the-dark version.

Given what Super7 is doing with chrome, I could even see a faux-Shogun variant as well.
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 01:25 PM   #4838
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

I think the varying opinions on how Super Shredder should be done kind of point towards another problem Super7 has - they don't really seem to know the audience and so there's nothing tying the line together thematically.

For me, I don't want Super7's Super Shredder to look like anything more than a larger version of that original toy. He was probably my second-favorite figure behind Slash, and it never bothered me that he didn't really look like the movie. Plus, NECA's already done a pretty perfect movie version, so to change this version to more closely resemble the movie feels unnecessary and counterproductive.

But then there are other people who want a (mostly) completely redone figure. So I think a lot of the time they're screwed either way they go, but at the same time, I don't think anyone had any other ideas about what the line was (upscaled recreations of the vintage figures) up until the last year or so, and that part's on Super7's mixed communications.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 03:09 PM   #4839
Sumac
Banned

My problem with S. Shredder is that he is a lazy recolor of another figurine.
And looks very little like a S. Shredder.

In itself its not unusual - a lot of the Playmates toys don't look like their cartoon and comic books counterparts. But they could at least put some token effort and recolor or remade his body.

As such Super 7 remake will be this weird hybrid of Slice'n'Dice Shredder with a Super Shredder head. And its neither here nor there.
If anything I'd prefer straight up remake of Slice'n'Dice Shredder, but with recolor to make him resemble Super Shredder and a changeable head.

Its like with Krang's Android figurine - I am fine with them remaking it as it was, but I'd prefer it to be just a bit closer to the cartoon version. I know there is NECA version and awesome Cerebral version, but still.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:10 AM   #4840
mikey0
Foot Elite

Wave 9 pre-orders are shipping soon from The Super7 Store.

https://super7.com/pages/pre-order-status-page
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote