The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #21
AquaParade
Banned

Damn. I'm struggling to think of a cartoon I love from this period of time. It's a mix of me not seeing much and what I do see not appealing to me at all.

Really brainstorming here....

Idk. The cartoons that come to mind are The Simpsons, Batman: TAS, Batman Beyond, King of the Hill, South Park.
None of them come from 2010 onward.

Oh. TMNT 2012, I guess. I don't love it to the point of having finished watching it yet, but I do think the first few seasons are pretty good.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #22
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Any one remember Danny Phantom? I think that was 2010 shows, though I guess that was more 2004-2008 I think? If people can count DuckTales which aired during 2017 days I don't see the difference

Secret Saturday's and Generation Rex and honestly loved Ben 10 AF/UA myself so. Young Justice is another good animated show, I liked the 2012 turtles series too.

Honestly, in my opinion 2010 days wasn't that bad. Gravity Falls would be high on my list too but I wasn't really a fan of the conclusion.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:52 PM   #23
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah, I agree. (Although I know you didn't like TMNT 2012, I loved it)

But the 2010 decade in general is probably the worst decade for cartoons since uh...I guess the 70's? Far less shows that are memorable, way too much focus on comedy shows, less action, animation looks cheaper and more like flash animation than ever before, etc.

There were a few gems here and there, but overall this was probably the low point of western animation.
Yeah no this is far from the low point of western animation, don't get me wrong action cartoons are pretty much gone but there are a lot of experimental and unorthodox series, Adventure Time has one of the best character writing I seen in a kids animation, we got two miniseries like Over the Garden Wall and Infinity Train both delve into mature topics like death and change, Amazing World of Gumball showed how well multimedia can be in animation, Gravity Falls and Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated showed that animation can delve into mysteries and Regular Show has one of the best character development in CN history.

And that's not counting adult animation where its really diversed in genres in the past years, there are dramedies like Bojack Horseman and F is for Family, Action(Seis Manos Castlevania and Lastman), Sci Fi(Rick and Morty and Final), hell Love Death and Robots is probably the most recent anthology I can think of.

And thats not mentioning Spider-verse that is pretty much revolutionizing the way people are going to use 3-D animation.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:38 AM   #24
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
The 2010’s were a low point for cartoons and animation in general, this is when Cartoon Network went to hell and most shows had the same god awful flash animation look. DC animation went to crap besides Young Justice and everything went comedy.

However we had some good shows elsewhere:

TMNT 2012 (of course)
Young Justice
Justice League Action
Avengers: EMH
Legend of Korra
Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels has great eps in this era
You into action cartoons and not comedy? what about adult animation like Castlevania?

Animation looks should not matter compared to good storytelling

Quote:

But the 2010 decade in general is probably the worst decade for cartoons since uh...I guess the 70's? Far less shows that are memorable, way too much focus on comedy shows, less action, animation looks cheaper and more like flash animation than ever before, etc.

There were a few gems here and there, but overall this was probably the low point of western animation.
You can't be about how an animated show looks vs good storytelling.

One of my heroes Osamu Tezuka did said "A good story can save poor animation where good animation can't save a bad story".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Damn. I'm struggling to think of a cartoon I love from this period of time. It's a mix of me not seeing much and what I do see not appealing to me at all.

Really brainstorming here....

Idk. The cartoons that come to mind are The Simpsons, Batman: TAS, Batman Beyond, King of the Hill, South Park.
None of them come from 2010 onward.

Oh. TMNT 2012, I guess. I don't love it to the point of having finished watching it yet, but I do think the first few seasons are pretty good.
And you don't think they compare to the 90s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Yeah no this is far from the low point of western animation, don't get me wrong action cartoons are pretty much gone but there are a lot of experimental and unorthodox series, Adventure Time has one of the best character writing I seen in a kids animation, we got two miniseries like Over the Garden Wall and Infinity Train both delve into mature topics like death and change, Amazing World of Gumball showed how well multimedia can be in animation, Gravity Falls and Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated showed that animation can delve into mysteries and Regular Show has one of the best character development in CN history.

And that's not counting adult animation where its really diversed in genres in the past years, there are dramedies like Bojack Horseman and F is for Family, Action(Seis Manos Castlevania and Lastman), Sci Fi(Rick and Morty and Final), hell Love Death and Robots is probably the most recent anthology I can think of.

And thats not mentioning Spider-verse that is pretty much revolutionizing the way people are going to use 3-D animation.
That's correct! i mean we have stuff like My Little Pony FIM which is this generation's Tiny Toon Adventures/Animaniacs, Bojack Horseman is this generation's The Simpsons (Back when Simpsons was worth watching as in 1989 to Behind the Laughter and Bojack is better than Zombie Simpsons)/The Critic/Duckman (remember that?), Regular Show is this generation's Rocko's Modern Life/Beavis and Butthead/The Head (as the creator of Regular Show is now 37 and grew up with 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s and 90s cartoons and knows his stuff), Love Death and Robots is this generation's Heavy Metal/Robot Carnival/Liquid TV, Primal is this generation's Fire and Ice, Adventure Time is this generation's Wizards, Castlevania is this generation's Spawn TAS/Ninja Scroll, Avatar is this generation's Gargoyles, Gravity Falls is this generation's Scooby Doo, F is for Family is this generation's King of the Hill, Rick and Morty is this generation's Futurama etc.

And some shows ended with grace like King of the Hill, Futurama, Regular Show, My Little Pony FIM, Gravity Falls and more while The Simpsons remains like a dying old man who's been on life support for a long time as i've come to accept it's gone and waiting for someone to pull the plug and turn off the machine as it should had ended with Behind the Laughter instead of becoming a rotting corpse.

And we have excellent animated movies like Spider-Man into the Spiderverse, Dark Knight Returns, Batman Under the Red Hood, Planet Hulk, Wolf Children, Tangled, Toy Story 3, Wreck it Ralph, Zootopia, How to Train your Dragon, Secret of Arriety, Kung Fu Panda 3, Secret of Kellis, and some other gems.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:54 PM   #25
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
The 2012 TMNT was ok. It was good for a one time watch, but it's not something that I'm ever going to want to rewatch in its entirety like the 4Kids series. The only times that I dreaded watching the show was during the Northampton arc at the beginning of the third season, and the outer space arc at the beginning of the forth season.

Though it is worth noting that the Nickelodeon cartoon seemed like an excellent representation of this decade's cartoons: watchable, but not really worth rewatching. Whereas the 4Kids series is a very good representation of the couple of decades where United States cartoons were in what I would consider a "golden age".
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #26
sdp
-

I'm also on the 2010s didn't have as many cartoons that I love, my list is fairly small, sure there's not a lot I can say I truly loved and are classic even if I enjoyed them.

Rick and Morty, Young Justice, Scooby Doo Mystery Inc, Avengers: EMH, The Hollow were all great, hell even Teen Titans Go. But others listed here that I liked like say TMNT 2012, Clone Wars (isn't that technically 00's?), Voltron, Disenchantment, first two seasons of MLP:FiM just never reached that "I love" moment even if I enjoyed them. I didn't like stuff like Adventure time and didn't give Gravity falls a chance as well as other comedy shows at the time so maybe I'm not giving the decade a fair chance.

I did watch most of the original Netflix shows though and they were all huge disappointments, and they revived tons of shows I wanted to love like Stretch Armstrong, Carmen Sandiego, King Kong, The dragon Prince, Love Death Robots, etc. This decade saw the fall of DC cartoons which was a huge loss, we now get horrible DC animation somehow, this decade began with Marvel finally understanding what made DC's cartoons so great only for Disney to buy them out and start making crap again.

Let's hope the 2010's are much better, I can hope Marvel and DC can hit a new renaissance, Netflix finally gets their sh-t together for animated shows with their upcoming shows and seasons like Jurassic Park, maybe a cool new TMNT show after Rise finishes and some time cools off. It seems like Nickelodeon wants to revive the nicktoons so there's also that, Nintendo is exploring in animation and their first movies come out in the 2020s, so maybe the 2020's will be much better.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:09 AM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

Hm. Kinda weak crop. Then again, I barely watch TV these days. Most cartoons I still watch came out before 2010 so I can't really count them.

I guess by default it would be Archer and MLP: FiM, and holy sh*t where else would those two shows end up in the same sentence.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:07 AM   #28
newfan
Mad Scientist

I'd forgotten to add The Hollow, mentioned by SDP. I preferred this to the others in my list (not including 2012) I'd figured out what was going on early on but I enjoyed seeing it all unravel.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:07 AM   #29
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I was into MLP for a bit back when it was all anyone could yap about, I kind of grew out of it but I appreciated that they evolved Twilight Sparkle throughout the thing though, and at least it came to a natural end rather than go on and on endlessly.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #30
Leo656
The Franchise

I never watched FiM on a regular basis since I'm not usually home when it's on, but one lazy weekend my wife said we'd watch it for a joke and it actually ended up being really good. Only seen a bunch of stuff from the first couple seasons and the movie, plus a few scattered episodes here and there along with the finale, but every time I watched it I couldn't help but go, "Man, this is actually way better than it has any right to be." And it's actually funny without trying way too hard all the time. I like that.

I agree with you though, although I'm sad it's over just because I don't like when things end. I'm an extremely sentimental guy.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also forgot to mention the final season of Samurai Jack. I thought it was pretty good, and the lack of censors meant they could show blood and jack slicing people who weren't robots. And it provided proper closure to the series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #32
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I never watched FiM on a regular basis since I'm not usually home when it's on, but one lazy weekend my wife said we'd watch it for a joke and it actually ended up being really good. Only seen a bunch of stuff from the first couple seasons and the movie, plus a few scattered episodes here and there along with the finale, but every time I watched it I couldn't help but go, "Man, this is actually way better than it has any right to be." And it's actually funny without trying way too hard all the time. I like that.

I agree with you though, although I'm sad it's over just because I don't like when things end. I'm an extremely sentimental guy.
Who's your favourite of the mane six?

Mine is a tie between Rarity and Rainbow Dash.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #33
Leo656
The Franchise

Rainbow Dash if I had to pick one, but they're all pretty awesome. I like Twilight a lot because I'm a huge Tara Strong mark.

There's some pretty funny dubs on YouTube from FiM with "Twilight" speaking lines from some of Tara's other shows, like Drawn Together or Boondocks. So that's amazing.

I've been trying to get a Rainbow Dash shirt for a while but they seem to come and go in Men's sizes. Go figure. But I've seen some really amazing ones.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:48 AM   #34
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Twilight is my favorite, with Fluttershy being second, unless you count Equestria Girls, then Sunset Shimmer would be my second place.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #35
ABrown
Banned

I can't believe I forgot to include Justice League Action in my list. And it wasn't just a show that I would want to only watch once. It's one of my upper tier shows that I could watch over and over again. Shame on Cartoon Network for not giving the show the proper air time that it deserved. That should've been the show that got the air time that Teen Titans Go ended up getting.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #36
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Castlevania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Castlevania, if you're counting it
Why shouldn't Castlevania count. It is from 2017?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:28 AM   #37
2K3
Foot Soldier

Personally my favourites are:
Legend of Korra
Castlevania
Rick and Morty
Gravity Falls
Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated
Young Justice

Really need to watch "Voltron Legendary Defender" at some point.
2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:12 AM   #38
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
-Rick and Morty
-Transformers Prime
-DuckTales
-Castlevania.

That's pretty much it

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #39
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
The 2012 TMNT was ok. It was good for a one time watch, but it's not something that I'm ever going to want to rewatch in its entirety like the 4Kids series. The only times that I dreaded watching the show was during the Northampton arc at the beginning of the third season, and the outer space arc at the beginning of the forth season.

Though it is worth noting that the Nickelodeon cartoon seemed like an excellent representation of this decade's cartoons: watchable, but not really worth rewatching. Whereas the 4Kids series is a very good representation of the couple of decades where United States cartoons were in what I would consider a "golden age".
The 4 Kids cartoon aired in another time than the Nickelodeon cartoon, and the time between them feels so much more than the 5–10 years we actually had.

Unlike today, quick access to all modern entertainment wasn't there the same way as today. The Youtube didn't exist until May 2005, when three seasons of the 4 Kids cartoon had aired.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #40
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Also forgot to mention the final season of Samurai Jack. I thought it was pretty good, and the lack of censors meant they could show blood and jack slicing people who weren't robots. And it provided proper closure to the series.
Yeah, it was really cool that Samurai Jack was able to return and close out in such fashion. I've always been a big fan of Samurai Jack, but for die-hards it must have been a dream come true.

I watched the first episode of the creator's new show, "Primal". It was awesome.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fredwolfleothebrony, leo656thebrony