The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-03-2022, 07:40 AM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

It blows my mind how anyone ever could have thought FW TMNT was "too violent".

Then again, they'd said the same thing about He-Man before that, and he solved most of his "fights" by picking guys up, spinning them around and casually tossing them aside in a heap. The "punch the screen" animation cycle is iconic, but you never actually saw contact, only the bad guys flying away post-hit, and in truth, he very rarely ever actually punched anyone to begin with. He also has this big-ass magic sword that he seemed to only ever use as a shield, hardly ever a weapon.

And yet, even THAT was "too violent" for a lot of parents. So in that context, I can almost see how TMNT would also qualify. But... c'mon.

It was indeed "a simpler time", but in a lot of ways you can swap "simpler" for "stupider" and it works just as well.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:04 AM   #22
superstaff
Mad Scientist

In my case specifically, I think my mother felt that way because the media said so (there were lots of news reports about stuff like The Simpsons corrupting the youth), and influence from her religious friends, who were all also helicopter parents.

I agree that times were simple...and stupid back then, and people have only gotten worse since, sadly. Humans have no chill.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:39 PM   #23
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

Then again, they'd said the same thing about He-Man before that, and he solved most of his "fights" by picking guys up, spinning them around and casually tossing them aside in a heap. The "punch the screen" animation cycle is iconic, but you never actually saw contact, only the bad guys flying away post-hit, and in truth, he very rarely ever actually punched anyone to begin with. He also has this big-ass magic sword that he seemed to only ever use as a shield, hardly ever a weapon.

And yet, even THAT was "too violent" for a lot of parents. So in that context, I can almost see how TMNT would also qualify. But... c'mon.

It was indeed "a simpler time", but in a lot of ways you can swap "simpler" for "stupider" and it works just as well.
The worst offender was the Legend of Zelda cartoon where Link would use his sword to fire magic blasts. He was once tricked into selling his sword in exchange for a more bad-ass looking sword but it couldn't shoot those energy blasts or whatever. So he's cornered by bad guys, completely 'defenseless' despite the fact that, you know, he could actually try to swing the sword at them.

Although in more recent times the 2012 cartoon had that one scene where Xever ran at the turtles and flashes his knives at the screen..... and the Turtle in question flew back as if he were punched.

And that one ep where the 2K3 Turtles were 'defenseless' when they were disarmed... but the moment they got their weapons back Leo and Raph start kicking things. I guess getting a tight grip on that sword handle makes your kicks extra tough. Just... not the same if you're holding something in your hand while thrusting your leg out.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:05 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

I know right? And the UK took it further and censored the word Ninja from it and removed Mike's nunchucks in its version. Ridiculous. Talk about paranoia.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:07 PM   #25
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

New York's Shiniest was quite a dark episode at times, with what's implied about rex 1 before Donatello rebuilds him
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:56 PM   #26
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

“The Incredible Shrinking Turtles” because a character actually dies.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:02 PM   #27
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
“The Incredible Shrinking Turtles” because a character actually dies.
I agree the alien death was quite shocking,

I also found the episode Enter the fly to be quite dark, with April almost dying from the poisonous doku plant and Baxter about to be killed by Krang until he turns into his fly form.
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:30 AM   #28
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist

Basically none of those 10 episodes feature body horror which is some of the most disturbing imagery in the show.

Not even including Enter the Fly or Enter Mutagen Man (kinda funny how similar those titles are) just seems wrong.

I suppose Seymor's body parts floating around in mutagenic acid isn't dark so much as it is disturbing but I mean... isn't disturbing imagery dark? I feel like that episode scarred me for life. He eventually was human again though not his prior self. That kinda just gets brushed off as a joke because he's more concerned about delivering a package.

Enter the Fly though, Krang tried to kill Baxter. That's pretty dark.

At least one of the episodes in the short Titanus and H.A.V.O.C. arc also had people being turned into mutants against their will. That's pretty dark though arguably not more so than Shredder turning Bebop and Rocksteady into mutants.

It's also kind of dark when Leonardo's mutation goes bonkers though that's quickly resolved.