The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #61
CyberCubed
Overlord

Toei granted added a lot of blushing scenes between the Sailor Scouts that weren't in the manga, but it did seem like Usagi had a crush on every single one of her friends at some point. Also remember that one episode Sailor Jupiter got a crush on Uranus? It only lasted one episode, but she knew she was female at that point and still had a crush for the whole ep.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #62
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Seeing as how they were posing as guys and Usagi (as well as Minako) tend to fawn over guys in general, I'm going to go out on a limb and go with her being attracted to him, even though she never seemed fully interested in Seiya to me. I know I personally preferred Seiya x Usagi to Mamoru x Usagi, because it wasn't as boring as those two. lol Up to a point, Usagi and the others don't know that Seiya and the others are the Starlights.
I won't exclude possibility of her crushing on Seiya anyway, even when she already knew she was a girl, but that's pretty much a conjecture, based on various indirect evidence. So I leave it at that.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:04 PM   #63
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm always surprised how popular anime is in all the spanish countries. Hispanics are obsessed with anime, even more than in America.
I know Starzinger was a big hit in Sweden during the 1980's, accessable only through videotape and not television, but it was rarely referred to as anime at the time. By 1992–1993, Swedish video game magazine Nintendomagasinet began publishing Japanese Mario and Zelda comics.

Major awareness and popularity of anime and manga in Sweden began in 1994–1995 when Swedish video game magazine Super Power (later Super Play) began publishing articles about it.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 05-23-2021 at 03:33 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:45 PM   #64
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Toei granted added a lot of blushing scenes between the Sailor Scouts that weren't in the manga, but it did seem like Usagi had a crush on every single one of her friends at some point. Also remember that one episode Sailor Jupiter got a crush on Uranus? It only lasted one episode, but she knew she was female at that point and still had a crush for the whole ep.
Oh Cybercubed and your fantasies.

I don't remember Usagi having a crush on any of the girls, except feeling uncomfortable around Haruka's teasing (though she did have a crush on her the first time they met but it wasn't revealed Haruka was female until the episode was over).

There was an episode where Makoto did admire Haruka and wanted to be a bad-ass like her, but it was revealed near the end of the episode. Most of the episode had the typical misunderstanding where the rest of the crew legit thought she was into her-into her.

Usagi had a crush on Seiya, well.... all of them did had a crush on all of them since they were introduced as the latest boy band all the girls wanted, but Usagi was the only one to have the awkward crush towards Seiya even AFTER everyone else found out they were the Star Lights.

To me the part I'll always remember about the Star Lights was in their big episode where the Senshi eventually discover that they were Sailors, there was hardly a reaction to their gender change. Like yeah, they were surprised that the boy band was a trio of Sailors, but their surprise was nothing larger than when they found out that Haruka and Michiru were also Sailors.

Like I'd be expecting a much larger reaction out of finding out that Bruce Wayne was Catwoman all along rather than just discovering he was Batman. Both are surprises but one should be way bigger than the other.

EDIT- oh another thing, blushing is common in shows like these, especially with such large slice of life segments. All of the OG 5 were losers in some way or the other, they really had no one but each other. A lot of the blushing comes from say, someone complimenting Makoto's cooking, or someone giving a thumbs up whenever Ami's smarts come in handy. They blush cause they're not used to such praise. This was still early 90's but those 5 are the equivalent of 5 modern day awkward girls with horrible people skills unless when they're hanging together.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:52 AM   #65
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
It's true of western cartoons too. In Batman, Robin starts off as a kid in most versions yet somehow he's fighting adults and solving crimes and zipping across rooftops.
Which reminds me, I never liked that cartoon continuity where Robin quits on account of Batman and Batgirl having an affair behind his back.

Because the reason why he dropped the Robin mantle in the comics is far more recognizable. And it comes from the "The Judas contract" storyline from the original eighties New Teen Titans comic book series.

In this story, Dick Grayson has been leading the Teen Titans in New York city as Robin for a long time and is spending more time doing so than to fight crime at Batman's side in Gotham city. And every time he gets called back to Gotham he goes back to being that little sidekick.

So seeing as how he's coming into his own as a super hero rather than being Batman's sidekick, Grayson takes a monumental decision.

But his call to arms isn't all that long after he decides to give up the role of Robin and having Jason Todd replace him at Batman's side.

THAT'S the true reason why Dick Grayson stopped being Robin, he outgrew the role, became of age.

Dick Grayson as Nightwing, not that hard to see why his outfit was later changed to be more badass, since the original design is really camp.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:08 AM   #66
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
Which reminds me, I never liked that cartoon continuity where Robin quits on account of Batman and Batgirl having an affair behind his back.
Bruce Timm who was the responsible for DC Animated Universe, apparently has some sort of fetish for Bruce Wayne ****ing Barbara Gordon.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #67
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Bruce Timm who was the responsible for DC Animated Universe, apparently has some sort of fetish for Bruce Wayne ****ing Barbara Gordon.
Ya got that right. The ONLY reason those two knocked boots in the animated version of The Killing Joke was because Bruce Timm was involved.

"Hmmm so far the adaptation is coming along alright but it looks like it's going to be too short."

"Don't worry, just add a scene of Barbara riding Batman bareback."

"..........wut?"

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 05-12-2021, 09:04 AM   #68
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Y
"Don't worry, just add a scene of Barbara riding Batman bareback."

Babs/Bruce still canon in 3 different continuities at least
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #69
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post

Because the reason why he dropped the Robin mantle in the comics is far more recognizable. And it comes from the "The Judas contract" storyline from the original eighties New Teen Titans comic book series.

In this story, Dick Grayson has been leading the Teen Titans in New York city as Robin for a long time and is spending more time doing so than to fight crime at Batman's side in Gotham city. And every time he gets called back to Gotham he goes back to being that little sidekick.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/d30206f4...z8l1s81zze.png

So seeing as how he's coming into his own as a super hero rather than being Batman's sidekick, Grayson takes a monumental decision.
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...2498549140.jpg
But his call to arms isn't all that long after he decides to give up the role of Robin and having Jason Todd replace him at Batman's side.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ElhyKt7X0AAFWef.jpg

THAT'S the true reason why Dick Grayson stopped being Robin, he outgrew the role, became of age.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/.../nightwing.jpg
Dick Grayson as Nightwing, not that hard to see why his outfit was later changed to be more badass, since the original design is really camp.
This is kind of the thing about streamlined adaptations, some things will have to be changed if you want to keep it as simple as possible. In the cartoon he's Robin until episode 85 and then we get a time skip where he's suddenly Nightwing. If they kept the explaination from Teen Titans, it would have come across like this:

"Oh, I spent some time leading a superhero team you never met before, going through conflicts totally unrelated to anything we were dealing with and after all that I realised I wasn't your sidekick anymore."

It would have been weird. If the Titans had been previously established characters in the series it might have worked but they never showed up. The only other option would have been to dedicate a story arc to him outgrowing the role of Robin but they only really had 24 episodes left and dedicating a good chunk of them to develop Robin into Nightwing would have been an odd choice. A falling out might not be the most elegant option but it is the option that makes sense given what they were doing.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:23 AM   #70
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
https://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20061126.gif

Babs/Bruce still canon in 3 different continuities at least
And it's gross in every one of them.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #71
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Oh Cybercubed and your fantasies.

I don't remember Usagi having a crush on any of the girls, except feeling uncomfortable around Haruka's teasing (though she did have a crush on her the first time they met but it wasn't revealed Haruka was female until the episode was over).

There was an episode where Makoto did admire Haruka and wanted to be a bad-ass like her, but it was revealed near the end of the episode. Most of the episode had the typical misunderstanding where the rest of the crew legit thought she was into her-into her.

Usagi had a crush on Seiya, well.... all of them did had a crush on all of them since they were introduced as the latest boy band all the girls wanted, but Usagi was the only one to have the awkward crush towards Seiya even AFTER everyone else found out they were the Star Lights.

To me the part I'll always remember about the Star Lights was in their big episode where the Senshi eventually discover that they were Sailors, there was hardly a reaction to their gender change. Like yeah, they were surprised that the boy band was a trio of Sailors, but their surprise was nothing larger than when they found out that Haruka and Michiru were also Sailors.

Like I'd be expecting a much larger reaction out of finding out that Bruce Wayne was Catwoman all along rather than just discovering he was Batman. Both are surprises but one should be way bigger than the other.

EDIT- oh another thing, blushing is common in shows like these, especially with such large slice of life segments. All of the OG 5 were losers in some way or the other, they really had no one but each other. A lot of the blushing comes from say, someone complimenting Makoto's cooking, or someone giving a thumbs up whenever Ami's smarts come in handy. They blush cause they're not used to such praise. This was still early 90's but those 5 are the equivalent of 5 modern day awkward girls with horrible people skills unless when they're hanging together.
I agree with all of this here. Blushing can convey admiration and embarrassment and is used a lot in shows like this. The thing you said about the compliment thing, though, is probably more cultural than anything. Usually when someone is given a compliment, the person will always be quick to dismiss or deny the compliment ("Iya...chigaimasu..."). I saw it all the time while living in Japan when people were complimented over something. Being humble is viewed favorably culture wise, so seeing people blushing from a compliment is a good reflection of how those of the culture would generally react if complimented, just in this type of medium, they use blushing. It also shows how shy a character is too.

The only thing I disagree with is what you were saying about the five girls being awkward. Minako, Rei, and Usagi really weren't. Ami and Makoto, yes. Ami because she was a bookworm and studied a lot while also keeping to herself before meeting up with Usagi, and Makoto because she was used of always being alone, especially since her parents were dead and she had that sukeban-type reputation (hence her school outfit and the long skirt associated with deliquent girls as well as her hair). The other three had their own set of friends. Rei was popular in that private school she attended and was also respected by her peers. She was also admired for her grace and beauty. Minako was well-known in her school and known for being sporty (Volleyball) and she had two best friends she would hang around with (one kind of resembled Ami in some ways). Usagi was friendly, but like Minako, was a bad and lazy student, but even she had a group of girls she hung around with in school (with Naru being her best friend). The problem with both the manga and the anime is that it was never really shown for Rei and Minako (anime) and for Usagi, her friends were fazed out (anime and manga), which did bother me. I could see fazing out the other girls, but Naru was her best friend. It's like the girls had no lives or friends outside of one another.

Last edited by ssjup81; 05-16-2021 at 10:24 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #72
Sumac
Banned

I feel like friends were cut, because, manga was overloaded with Sailor Scout characters.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #73
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
And it's gross in every one of them.
They're not related, she's over 18. I mean it's definitely wrong, that's why it's appealing.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #74
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
They're not related, she's over 18. I mean it's definitely wrong, that's why it's appealing.
Which is exactly what Bruce Timm tells himself every time he pulls out the ol tissues and lotion.

"Yeah... Give it to her Bruce Ti... Wayne... Yeah, make that redhead ride dat batcock!"

Old 05-16-2021, 02:20 PM   #75
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's wrong because Bruce is double her age most of the time. 35 year old Bruce dating an 18-20 year old? Sure it's "legal," but the age gap is too big for my tastes.

Most people still act like kids at that age and Bruce is pushing 40.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #76
Sumac
Banned

Bruce also happens to be her mentor and father-figure. Also, father-figure of her "brothers". And she had relationship with one of them.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #77
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I don't like the Bruce x Barbara thing either. Just feels wrong to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I feel like friends were cut, because, manga was overloaded with Sailor Scout characters.
Another reason was probably because of Takeuchi's hectic publishing schedule. Sailor V was even put on hold, despite being the shorter series. Takeuchi was rushed to churn out chapters for Sailor Moon's manga and cutting out those extra characters probably made it slightly easier to do so. Since the characters weren't featured in the manga much after a certain point, there was no need to have them in the show.

Last edited by ssjup81; 05-17-2021 at 03:09 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #78
sdp
Megan Fox = April

You guys are just re-stating why it's wrong, it's an interesting story twist that they had a thing for a bit. Entirely morally wrong, but it happened and there are consequences to it.

Let's not forget when dick kept on stringing barbara along when he was serious with starfire

poor babs, she can't catch a break, She's clearly emotionally unstable with daddy issues. isn't she dating Jason todd now, or tried to?

Last edited by sdp; 05-16-2021 at 03:49 PM.