The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Favorite Movie Based on a Video Game

Hit me with some of your video game movies. For me, some of the ones I can watch over and over are of course the Resident Evil series, the first Doom, Sonic and the original Mortal Kombat.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:39 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

Probably the first Mortal Kombat. The rest are all pretty terrible.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:51 PM   #3
sdp
-

If you're into cyberpunk I'd recommend the Super Mario Bros live action movie and live action Double Dragon. DOA was pretty damn good despite the actresses not having huge boobs like the source material Tekken was rather awful.

I remember hitman being ok. Doom is worth it alone for that 4 minute FPS scene. The first silent hill was surprisingly good as well. If you're into giant monsters kaiju like Godzila, the Rampage movie was pretty good. The original Mortal Kombat movies are a bit dated but they're not bad.

If we're talking animated movies counting then we can add a bunch of anime movies to the list of great video game movies.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:12 PM   #4
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Super Mario Bros. Yeah, it's a very interesting take on the game original story, kinda trippy. Not a great movie, but one you can actually enjoy if you come to it without prejudices. Obviously everyone on the net will tell you that it sucks and it's one of the worst movie ever made but that's just how the internet works. I recommend it.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:03 PM   #5
Slade
god status

I have to go with Sonic and the original MK film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Super Mario Bros. Yeah, it's a very interesting take on the game original story, kinda trippy. Not a great movie, but one you can actually enjoy if you come to it without prejudices. Obviously everyone on the net will tell you that it sucks and it's one of the worst movie ever made but that's just how the internet works. I recommend it.
I had the vhs as a kid. I watched the hell out of it. Back then I didn't care if it wasn't anything like the games I played.
As an adult...yeah it really is terrible. I wouldn't call it the worst movie ever made though. It does have a pretty good cast and some crazy effects.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:56 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Probably the first Mortal Kombat. The rest are all pretty terrible.
You should rewatch it. It might not be what you remember... it's pretty terrible. And not just because they made a Mortal Kombat movie without Fatalities.

Hmm... I don't know, the 2nd attempt at a Hitman movie was OK.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:43 PM   #7
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Sonic
MK (haven’t seen the new one)
MK:A (unpopular opinion but always liked it)

Silent Hill: Revelation. I saw this not long ago just because and it was pretty good. Never played the games but I know a little bit about them. I don’t really remember the first but I think they’re in continuity so watch them in order.

I want to say Detective Pikachu but I still have not seen it. I’m behind on quite a few other movies. I’ve seen some of the animated ones.

I’ve seen other video game movies but did not think they were very good. The original Tomb Raiders were ok I guess. I should rewatch Mario. Haven’t seen it since the 90s.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:30 AM   #8
ZariusTwo
Overlord

1. Street Fighter II: The Anime Movie
2. Mortal Kombat
3. Street Fighter (Raul Julia)
4. Detective Pikachu
5. Sonic The Hedgehog
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:45 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You should rewatch it. It might not be what you remember... it's pretty terrible. And not just because they made a Mortal Kombat movie without Fatalities.

Hmm... I don't know, the 2nd attempt at a Hitman movie was OK.
Don't condescend to me, sailor; I promise you that I've watched that movie more often AND more recently than you probably have.

Lest you forget that you're talking to the guy who's seen both Young Guns movies at least 200 times.

But yeah, I actually like the first Mortal Kombat movie, even without Fatalities. SO HUH.

I'd never say it was an amazing movie in and of itself, but it's ten miles ahead of its competition, at least. The "next-best" might be either the Super Mario Bros.* or original Street Fighter movies and those things are awful.

Feel free to put an asterisk next to my opinion, though, given that I have not seen Sonic, Assassin's Creed, World of Warcraft or the Tomb Raider reboot. One of those might actually be better than the original MK movie but I can't speak to things I haven't watched.

*The SMB movie is a fun kids' movie but an absolutely horrible "adaptation" of SMB, to the point where it really should have been called something else entirely. My "favorite" thing about it is that there's some pretty hot chicks in it, but I can live without the rest of it. Man, was that thing a huge disappointment to 11-year old Me.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:03 PM   #10
Allio
Foot Elite

Don’t know. Perhaps sonic and detective pikachu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Silent Hill: Revelation. I saw this not long ago just because and it was pretty good. Never played the games but I know a little bit about them. I don’t really remember the first but I think they’re in continuity so watch them in order.
Revelation tried too hard to make the movies fit more like the vide games that it fell apart. It tried hard to fix the mistakes of the first. Granted revelation had the pyramidhead fight scene that was cheesy and stupid, making it the best part of both film.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:20 PM   #11
Powder
So tired of this place

Super Mario Bros. Best dystopian cyberpunk movie ever. Then, probably Mortal Kombat, the original, followed by Detective Pikachu.

This requires a big shout-out:

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #12
IMJ
Emperor

The first Silent Hill.
First video game movie ever that not only honored the game but could've stood on it's own as a great genre flick.

Have no idea why the sequel turned into a B-Grade cash grab, but the first one is still a great movie to this day.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #13
Allio
Foot Elite

I’d say the first two acts of the first film was fine. But the third act didn’t work for me.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
The first Silent Hill.
First video game movie ever that not only honored the game but could've stood on it's own as a great genre flick.

Have no idea why the sequel turned into a B-Grade cash grab, but the first one is still a great movie to this day.
I retract my original answer. You're totally right.

I'd seen it once before I'd played any of the games and didn't really "get it". Then I re-watched it right after playing SH2 and was like "Holy SH*T!" They totally nailed it to the Nth degree, aside from the "We ran out of money so let's just shoot some bullsh*t" ending sequence. And even that wasn't exactly all that bad. I doubt there will ever be another video game movie that's as faithful in all the IMPORTANT ways as that movie was.

And yeah, as much as I liked the first one I f*cking HATED the second one in equal measure. That was such a huge step back. They really needed the original director or otherwise not bothered making the sequel. When you read about the Making Of the first one, it becomes crystal clear that it was only his specific vision that made the first movie as good as it was. Playing the games on-set so they could accurately mimic things they were shooting so they'd be accurate to the games, all that stuff. Nobody else has EVER put as much work in to make sure their movie was faithful to the games they were adapting, and they probably never will. The closest anyone's ever come would probably be Snyder using the actual Watchmen comic as storyboards for his Watchmen movie. More people should do this.

I'm embarrassed that I forgot about the first "Silent Hill". Please trust that I am hanging my head in shame, and I thank you for correcting me.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #15
Allio
Foot Elite

Silent hill film, for the most part I liked. It’s basically a shorter version of the first game with the iconic monsters of Silent Hill 2 (though the children of the first appears). It helps that the film has Akira yamaoka on the score
Old 04-18-2021, 09:59 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

I still don't know if the movie swapping the protagonist from the Dad to the Mom was entirely necessary, but points to them in that it honestly didn't hurt my enjoyment of the film at all. Normally that kinda thing bothers me a lot, but not so much in this case.

Old 04-18-2021, 10:00 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Warcraft" might be a contender. Did anyone see that?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:15 PM   #18
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ok I need to see the first Silent Hill again. I really don’t remember it. Well I should play the game first. I still enjoyed Revelation though.

Weirdly I’ve never gotten into any of the major horror games even though I like horror movies. I’ve tried out a couple Resident Evils and even tried the original Silent Hill on PlayStation that a friend had.

I keep wanting to get the newer HD remakes but I end up waiting or getting something else. Usually Sonic.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:24 AM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

A lot of the brilliance of the first Silent Hill only really jumps out at a person if they're very familiar with the games. They put a TON of work into making everything as authentic as possible.

Second one is just a bad and generic horror movie. Could've been called anything. There was nothing connecting it to the Silent Hill franchise aside from the character names.

They both did poorly and got bad reviews, but even the critics reviewing the first one knew nothing of the games, and admitted as much. So while I do think it's good, I think it only really "works" to its full potential if you're a big fan of the source material. There's things you just won't see, notice or "get" if you don't know the games.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:59 AM   #20
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya it’s definitely better if you know the source material first for any adaptations. You understand and appreciate it more.

I don’t usually see something based on a game until I play at least one but they looked good so I gave them a watch. I still recognized some things.

Apparently there’s still no port of the first except for download. I know the disc is super rare and expensive. You’d think it’d be HD remastered already.