The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-02-2021, 08:35 AM   #1
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

When dubbed over cartoons are censored and keep what needed to be censored in.

First up, here's a very early episode of Pokémon in its original Japanese guise. Note the intro song.

Yes, the song has Ash Ketchum detailing that he will look everywhere for Pokémon, including underneath a girl's skirt at which you hear the girl screaming and you'll see her pushing her skirt down as Pikachu darts between her legs.

Of course that was something that simply wouldn't go when the series was syndicated for a Western dub, so the footage of the intro was chopped up and a new song was written, which omitted lifting up girls' skirts to see if there's any Pokémon hiding there...

...BUT, the footage of that girl trying her hardest to keep her modesty when Pikachu darts between her legs is actually KEPT IN THERE!

Doesn't that defeat the purpose here?

Last edited by The Great Saiyaman; 05-03-2021 at 12:36 PM.
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

The shot with the girl isn't especially noteworthy. You don't see her panties, you can barely tell she's trying to cover up and it lasts for less than a second. The editor at 4Kids most likely never even understood what was going on. There is probably a lot of "risqué" things you can show if you either change or omit the context.

Take this for example:

Nothing really changed visually, all they needed to was the dialogue.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #3
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well for the most part that's the easiest way to censor something, just dubbing something different, Pokemon was notorious for that. The banned Pokemon episode beauty at the beach being the one with the most dialog changed over the original episode and heavily censored.

But you say censored for Western audiences when what you're trying to say is censored for Americans. Look at how they massacred my boy by Americanizing Saint Seiya / Knights of the Zodiac. If you want to talk about pointless editing just take a look at that, blue colored blood and they just say it's their "energy" that's leaking lmao. Europe and Latin America never had any problems airing anime uncensored until American companies started buying the worldwide rights and they had no option but to air the censored version.

European cartoons have just as much nudity as anime did and they don't shy away from blood. Hell even canadian shows tend to be more violent than their american counterparts and many parts cut because they were deemed to sexual for American audiences.

sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:28 PM   #4
IMJ
Emperor

Makes me wonder how badly Attack On Titan is chewed up when dubbed. I know that I'm supposed to be into the sub-titles, but I'm not.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Well for the most part that's the easiest way to censor something, just dubbing something different, Pokemon was notorious for that. The banned Pokemon episode beauty at the beach being the one with the most dialog changed over the original episode and heavily censored.

But you say censored for Western audiences when what you're trying to say is censored for Americans. Look at how they massacred my boy by Americanizing Saint Seiya / Knights of the Zodiac. If you want to talk about pointless editing just take a look at that, blue colored blood and they just say it's their "energy" that's leaking lmao. Europe and Latin America never had any problems airing anime uncensored until American companies started buying the worldwide rights and they had no option but to air the censored version.

European cartoons have just as much nudity as anime did and they don't shy away from blood. Hell even canadian shows tend to be more violent than their american counterparts and many parts cut because they were deemed to sexual for American audiences.

Have you ever seen the uncut version of the official Pokémon manga?

Jessie of Team Rocket, looks-wise has nothing to be ashamed of.

But her manga counterpart is way more blatant about that, to such an extend that when that Manga was translated, the artwork itself had been altered...

And it wasn't just Jessie...
Old 05-02-2021, 07:59 PM   #6
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
...BUT, the footage of that girl trying her hardest to keep her modesty when Pikachu darts between her legs is actually KEPT IN THERE!

And the four adult figures nodding their heads in approval.

Quote:

Oh yeah. Jessie was always smoking hot. There's no question about that.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...VACg0&usqp=CAU

But her manga counterpart is way more blatant about that, to such an extend that when that Manga was translated, the artwork itself had been altered...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWClA8YXQAcFHp2.png

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...57/843/db6.jpg
To be fair, it's not like Misty tends to dress modestly in the games either, most of the times she's just in a bikini. And I am not going to post the trading card where she is straight up naked because I don't want to get banned, but yes, there is indeed an official trading card of Misty where she isn't wearing anything at all.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

Uh... I assume there's some kinda story behind that trading card? Because that's... an interesting choice.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:40 PM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Uh... I assume there's some kinda story behind that trading card? Because that's... an interesting choice.
They seem to do that a lot in anime when someone is being "empowered" and there is so much light and energy that it washes their clothes away during the "empowerment" or whatnot.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:58 PM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
It's called Misty's Tears. It was given completely different artwork outside of Japan. The original artwork depicts Misty holding a Staryu and crying, it's cropped just below her waist. Her nipples are not visible but otherwise her breasts are quite visible.

It honestly feels a bit wrong even describing it in such detail, given that Misty was around 12 or so in all media at the time, but there really isn't much else to say about it. It was deemed inappropriate outside of Japan, that's it. The most interesting part beyond that is that Sugimori, the main artist for the games, drew it. He also drew the international version, which I am comfortable posting.

Hahahaha!
Old 05-03-2021, 06:39 AM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Misty is a swimmer which is why most art in the games has her in a swimsuit/bikini. Her anime design gave her regular shorts and shirt, and even then, her design is pretty modest. Unless you think women should be covered head to toe by a veil.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Misty is a swimmer which is why most art in the games has her in a swimsuit/bikini. Her anime design gave her regular shorts and shirt, and even then, her design is pretty modest. Unless you think women should be covered head to toe by a veil.
Eh idk, usually when older women wear Misty's exact outfit, which is basically a super small top and daisy dukes, they look sexy AF. It just looks bland on Misty cause she's a kid, but when an adult wears that outfit.....

It's the equivalent of if Misty and Jessie were to dress up at Catwoman, naturally Jessie would properly fill out the costume a whole lot better.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Eh idk, usually when older women wear Misty's exact outfit, which is basically a super small top and daisy dukes, they look sexy AF. It just looks bland on Misty cause she's a kid, but when an adult wears that outfit.....
r.
Well yeah if you're looking at adult cosplayers wearing her outfit, it looks very different. But since she's a kid her outfit doesn't register as such. Her shorts are basically the same length as any shorts (unlike say Hilda, the protagonist of the BW games who does have ripped daisy duke shorts), and just a normal half shirt.

Of all the female character designs in Pokemon, Misty's is probably the most modest compare to the designs that came after her.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:33 AM   #14
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
To be fair, it's not like Misty tends to dress modestly in the games either, most of the times she's just in a bikini. And I am not going to post the trading card where she is straight up naked because I don't want to get banned, but yes, there is indeed an official trading card of Misty where she isn't wearing anything at all.
https://cdn2.bulbagarden.net/upload/...Blue_Misty.png
Misty, outside of the anime, tends to be treated as an adult at least. Or at least much older than she is in the show.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

Outside of the HGSS timeskip, she's always portrayed as around 12 in the games. She's the youngest Gym leader of Kanto. She's definitely not as old as Sabrina or Erika for example who are portrayed as adults.

Also the artwork in the old games was sprite based so even if she was in a bikini it was barely anything noticeable. That's why in Let's Go they updated her design to look more like the anime with a shirt and shorts because now that the human models are in 3D they didn't want to portray her as she used to be.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #16
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

There was perhaps the most infamous moment of the dubbed version of Bishojo Senshi Sailor Moon in the episode "Mirror, Mirror on the Wall" (Original Japanese title "Steal a Kiss from Mamoru! An's Project Snow White")

Makoto says to Rei that she should get the role for being the most talented. But the footage alone shows that Makato in the original Japanese version says that she should get the role because of her having the biggest breasts. Because although the lines had been altered, Makoto shoving her boobs into Rei's face was actually kept in.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #17
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...VACg0&usqp=CAU

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWClA8YXQAcFHp2.png

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...57/843/db6.jpg
To be fair, the manga-ka for that particular Pokemon manga (there's more than one) was a hentai artist or something like that. This is why practically every single female was drawn so ridiculously. Kasumi's outfit (if you could call it that) for her battle against Satoshi was so inappropriate! For that, Satoshi was rightfully distracted by what he was seeing. The US version putting her in a wetsuit made a heck of a lot more sense, even though Satoshi being distracted was still there. That aside, I don't know why it happened (backlash maybe?), for the the Japanese version of the manga, it was toned down after a while. Kasumi started to look more like her age (12) in the later chapters and issues. She also started to wear her hair down. I really did enjoy Ono's manga and the portrayal of the characters for it and the Rockets having a happily ever after, but hated how the female characters were drawn (I read the Japanese version of the manga), until later on when it was toned down a lot.

Edit: I couldn't find my Ono Pokemon manga stuff. I did upload some stuff from it years ago, but I only have one left. It was Kasumi reacting to Satoshi winning the Orange League.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flustered Kasumi.jpg (27.1 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by ssjup81; 05-03-2021 at 02:59 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #18
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Come to think of it, I think the reason lines are blurred in anime is because for the most part kids rarely act like kids. Look at Misty for example since we're talking about Pokemon.

What legit 12 year old in the real world is old enough to handle an entire gym all by herself in the absence of her sisters, travel the world, camp in the woods without crying or being scared or whatever. Sure she's in the company of two guys but they're kids too. Brock is portrayed as able to run a household full of siblings but he's a kid not much older than Misty. BS I say.

I think most kids in anime are pretty much treated as adults except for the following circumstances.

- whenever drinking, smoking, driving or whatever comes up, it's mentioned they can't cause they're kids

- whenever they're next to an adult character, the adult will call em kiddo or whatever. I mean some anime characters like Ichigo are so ****ing tall I legit forget he's still a kid until he's standing next to his dad or another adult.

- whenever a character cries after some event, especially a male character, they get a pass cause someone will remind us 'they're just a kid'. This is of course, characters that are NOT known for crying normally. I see you there Midoriya.

- on some rare occasion when **** really hits the fan a character or two will start freaking out and the voice of reason will remind the crew that in the end they're just kids and they're expected to do whatever impossible and dangerous task is required to save the world or defeat the monster

Other than that they're more than capable of risking their lives to save the world, fight against giant monsters, dragons, demons, or just act extremely composed and calm in situations where most adults would be ******** their pants and be extremely independent and self-reliant.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:49 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Come to think of it, I think the reason lines are blurred in anime is because for the most part kids rarely act like kids.
I always assumed that it was because for the longest time the age of consent in Japan was like 13 years old.

Japan, amIrite?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's true of western cartoons too. In Batman, Robin starts off as a kid in most versions yet somehow he's fighting adults and solving crimes and zipping across rooftops.