The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 11-07-2021, 01:15 AM   #221
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I mean I can see Ganthet being that desperate to ask Guy. But if Guy still had the yellow ring, he would've said no. And he also would've rubbed Kyle's face in it a hundred times over the years, had that happened, yet never did.
Wait... I'm racking my brain but... I think there WAS a story sometime in the mid-late 90s that showed Ganthet approaching Guy before Kyle and him refusing the ring just like you say. Damn... what WAS that story?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:11 PM   #222
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, there was a story where Ganthet offered Guy a ring, and I wanna say it was around the time of Final Night. But it was way after Kyle had been on the scene. Basically there was some looing disaster and Ganthet offered Guy a ring and was like "It can be yours again, if you wish it," and Guy was all like "Man, once upon a time I wanted this more than anything..." but then he turned it down because he was all settled in as Warrior by then and had put his past as Green Lantern firmly in the rearview mirror.

Which of course made it all the more confusing when "Rebirth" happened and Guy was all like "Hey... I lied!", but Geoff Johns didn't write the previous story and so it was just clutter he didn't want to deal with.

Anyways, yeah, Ganthet DID offer Guy a GL ring at some point in the late-90s or somewhere and Guy did turn it down. But that was way, way after Kyle came on the scene.

Like you, I'm now racking my brain trying to remember when and where. I want to say it was around Final Night but I'm pretty sure it wasn't IN Final Night.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:17 PM   #223
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I remember in Infinite Crisis it was stated that Kyle was from Earth-8 in other words those who debuted between Crisis on Infinite Earths through Zero Hour were from said the proposed alternate Earth. So I don't know if that was a retcon of Kyle being predestined to be a green lantern. Well, it worked out. Kyle got 8 years in the spotlight on his own.

Interesting observation, how many times has the central power battery been destroyed? Yellow was the necessary flaw in the rings, well why not the vulnerable central battery? It seems like its destroyed every few years to put the threat. That was case in Tales of The Green Lantern Corps, Emerald Twilight, War of The Green Lanterns, and now whatever the current storyline is called which only Hal and the Far Sector green lantern have active rings.

I thought Far Sector was an Elseworlds tale. Still waiting on Hal to get a title back.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:19 AM   #224
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Yeah, there was a story where Ganthet offered Guy a ring, and I wanna say it was around the time of Final Night. But it was way after Kyle had been on the scene. Basically there was some looing disaster and Ganthet offered Guy a ring and was like "It can be yours again, if you wish it," and Guy was all like "Man, once upon a time I wanted this more than anything..." but then he turned it down because he was all settled in as Warrior by then and had put his past as Green Lantern firmly in the rearview mirror.

Which of course made it all the more confusing when "Rebirth" happened and Guy was all like "Hey... I lied!", but Geoff Johns didn't write the previous story and so it was just clutter he didn't want to deal with.

Anyways, yeah, Ganthet DID offer Guy a GL ring at some point in the late-90s or somewhere and Guy did turn it down. But that was way, way after Kyle came on the scene.

Like you, I'm now racking my brain trying to remember when and where. I want to say it was around Final Night but I'm pretty sure it wasn't IN Final Night.
Having recently read Final Night Guy had Warriors operating and was Warrior. It served as a base for the heroes and it looked like the final chapter of International. I say that because many of the regular members of its lineup were involved.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:57 AM   #225
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Basically there was some looing disaster and Ganthet offered Guy a ring and was like "It can be yours again, if you wish it," and Guy was all like "Man, once upon a time I wanted this more than anything..." but then he turned it down because he was all settled in as Warrior by then and had put his past as Green Lantern firmly in the rearview mirror.
Yeah... that's in the Final Night: Parallax one shot, must be. But I thought there was something else. Like in an annual or a special or something. Where Guy is like, "Let me tell you something, and set the record straight!" and then we get the story of Ganthet going to Guy before Kyle.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:13 AM   #226
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Whatever happened to the Blue Lantern Corps? Saint Walker was the only one and it was going to expand again but it faded into the background.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #227
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

This is one of the handful of books that are advertised in the school library at the school I work at.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 03-07-2024 at 10:00 AM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:44 PM   #228
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Whatever happened to the Blue Lantern Corps? Saint Walker was the only one and it was going to expand again but it faded into the background.
Got destroyed along with every other Corps. Then brought back and forgotten about again, or something.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:14 PM   #229
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Got destroyed along with every other Corps. Then brought back and forgotten about again, or something.
So basically on hiatus in the mythos until a writer decides to build around Saint Walker? I remember the subplot of him taking refuge on Mogo but once Grant started his 27 issue run he disappeared.

I picked up a copy of both Ganthet's Tale and The Last Will and Testament of Hal Jordan to kick off my Green Lantern: Rebirth set.

Read through the first issue of JLA: The Last Ride. So Hal is restarting The Green Lantern Corps with John Stewart, Kilowag, and the Cruz woman and needs to create respect for the Corps by protecting Lobo before a fair trial can be achieved. Wally West is Flash! Not enough Hal and Wally working together!

Though Batman is being a jerk to Hal and Superman. It is odd how Batman and Superman are supposed to be different in approach to what they do. They push the no-kill policy the hardest in the DCU and were loners who were raised by surrogate family. I don't see why they are supposed to butt heads.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:57 PM   #230
Leo656
The Franchise

Because Batman prefers to solve 99% of problems with punching and Superman at least tries to avoid that kind of thing. Also, Batman doesn't generally believe in rehabilitation and Superman is all about seeing the best in everyone. So philosophically they are rather different.

I abhor "no kill" policies. They reek of editorial mandate and are a relic from the days when only 5 year old kids read comics. I'm not saying guys like Superman and Batman should go around purposely killing people if it can be avoided - it should definitely always be the ultimate last resort, and they should always feel terrible about it - but the whole "Heroes Never Kill" thing is SUPREMELY disrespectful to cops and soldiers, who are forced to kill people all the time and are nonetheless "heroes". Just for one example.

I mean let's be real, no version of Superman whose ever existed would have just stood by and let Zod roast that family in "Man of Steel". In any scenario where taking one life would save More Than One Life, and it was the only way out, they would do what they had to do and mope about it later. Batman, same thing. It's about the context, and there are absolutely scenarios where killing would be unavoidable.

Make it a last resort, have it only happen like once every few decades or whatever, fine. Really sell and put over how much they hate doing it. Treat it responsibly. But the whole "Heroes Never Kill" business? Bollocks. 5 year olds don't even read comics anymore, we can stop protecting their delicate sensibilities.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #231
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Wait... I'm racking my brain but... I think there WAS a story sometime in the mid-late 90s that showed Ganthet approaching Guy before Kyle and him refusing the ring just like you say. Damn... what WAS that story?
Ah-hah! I know what it was. "Green Lantern Secret Files and Origins" #1.

https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Gre...-1?id=109503#1
Old 12-15-2021, 06:23 PM   #232
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Ah-hah! I know what it was. "Green Lantern Secret Files and Origins" #1.

https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Gre...-1?id=109503#1
Ah, thanks for that! I was thinking the link was to Secret Files & Origins 2005 which bridged GL: Rebirth to the 2005 ongoing.

Why did DC change over from annuals from 1999 to 2005 to Secret Files & Origins?
Old 12-16-2021, 07:46 AM   #233
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Also, I was wondering about secret identities and the Green Lantern Corps. If I understand correctly Hal Jordan was following the norm of costumed heroes in leading a private life while acting as a hero. However, the Corps were space cops and cops don't have secret identities. So when both John and later Guy decided to act in public as a space cop and not keep a line drawn between their duties and private lives it was the norm for a Green Lantern. Once Parallax decimated the corps Kyle did as Hal and put the role of costumed hero ahead instead of space cop since that is who he would primarily interact with due the Corps being inactive. I believe I got it right that a Green Lantern is technically not a super hero but a space cop and that is why, but I wanted to double check to see if I am correct.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #234
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Also, I was wondering about secret identities and the Green Lantern Corps. If I understand correctly Hal Jordan was following the norm of costumed heroes in leading a private life while acting as a hero. However, the Corps were space cops and cops don't have secret identities. So when both John and later Guy decided to act in public as a space cop and not keep a line drawn between their duties and private lives it was the norm for a Green Lantern. Once Parallax decimated the corps Kyle did as Hal and put the role of costumed hero ahead instead of space cop since that is who he would primarily interact with due the Corps being inactive. I believe I got it right that a Green Lantern is technically not a super hero but a space cop and that is why, but I wanted to double check to see if I am correct.
The mask is optional, if you have a private life and loved ones to protect. Notice that Guy Gardner and John Stewart don't bother with masks.

Yeah, Kyle wasn't a space cop until maybe late into the run. Before he did his big exodus into space.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #235
Leo656
The Franchise

Those first few Kyle issues were so great. It was so much fun watching this guy with no clue what he was doing get thrown into the deep end and have to figure all this "Green Lantern" stuff out as he went along. Very unconventional and refreshing for the time. And of course, nobody could've seen the bit with Alex and Major Force coming. Truly shocking stuff, especially coming as early in the run as it did. Sort of set the tone right away for Kyle that "This gig ain't fun and games, kid." Like the first few issues are just a fun romp and then BAM, sucker-punch. It upset me but I also thought it was very well done.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:37 PM   #236
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Those first few Kyle issues were so great. It was so much fun watching this guy with no clue what he was doing get thrown into the deep end and have to figure all this "Green Lantern" stuff out as he went along. Very unconventional and refreshing for the time. And of course, nobody could've seen the bit with Alex and Major Force coming. Truly shocking stuff, especially coming as early in the run as it did. Sort of set the tone right away for Kyle that "This gig ain't fun and games, kid." Like the first few issues are just a fun romp and then BAM, sucker-punch. It upset me but I also thought it was very well done.
Absolutely. I was hooked at that point. Riveted.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:46 PM   #237
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

See that is where I differ. Green Lantern: Rebirth is what got me hooked. Emerald Twilight and giving a name to Women in Refrigerators within an 18 month period. 90s overkill.

Green Lantern has another rogue Guardian? It is either removing the central power battery or a rogue guardian. Let's get back to Hal,DC!
Old 12-16-2021, 05:04 PM   #238
Leo656
The Franchise

No, it was just a well-done story that raised stakes and defied convention. You need to do that from time to time lest things get stale. The Silver Age died for a reason. People grew up. DC killing off a secondary character (who was invented for that specific storytelling purpose) is a far, far cry from the stuff that Image and Marvel were doing around the same time.

And Gail Simone can suck it. I read her entire "Women In Refrigerators" rant and all I got from it was, "We're not allowed to ever have anything bad happen to female NPCs." She's literally a hairdresser who got lucky because she was friends with the right people, and she's barely ever written anything even decent. She had no business finger-wagging anyone, side characters have been getting killed off to better motivate the heroes for ages, male and female NPCs alike. So you can "fridge" Jason Todd or Aqualad, but you can't do the same to Barbara Gordon or Alex DeWitt? Of course you can.

Simone is an idiot and that whole spiel about "the Women In Refrigerators trope" is asinine. You're allowed to kill off side characters, people have been doing it since the f*cking Bible. It's not "representative" of anything, it's called "Telling Stories".

Old 02-04-2022, 07:17 PM   #239
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

After sorting my comic collection last July I finally completed making a master spreadsheet by long box. I believe I have compiled the ultimate Hal Jordan: Rebirth and Beyond set. However if there is something missing you can let me know. It sucks that he is without a title right now.
Tales of The Green Lantern Corps #1-3 mini-series
DC First: Green Lantern/Green Lantern one-shot
Ganthet's Tale one-shot
Green Lantern: Willworld one-shot
The Last Will & Testament of Hal Jordan one-shot
Green Lantern/Star Trek #1-6
Green Lantern Rebirth#1-6
Green Lantern Secret Files & Origins (2005) one-shot
Green Lantern (2005)#1-69
Sinestro Corps War#1 special, Tales of The Sinestro Corps#1-3
Blackest Night: Tales of The Corps#1-3
Green Lantern/Plastic Man one-shot
Green Lantern (2011) 0-52
Annuals#1-4
Relic one-shot, Mongul one-shot, Black Hand one-shot Sinestro one-shot
Larfleeze Christmas Special
Green Lantern Future's End one-shot
Green Lantern: God's Head one-shot
Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps #1-50
Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps: Rebirth one-shot
Green Lanterns#57
The Green Lantern Season One #1-12 & Annual
The Green Lantern: Blackstars# 1-3
The Green Lantern Season Two #1-12 & Annual
Green Lantern 80th Anniversary Special
Green Lantern 2021 Annual
Old 03-05-2022, 02:58 AM   #240
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Hey, guys... come on over to the Green Lantern Corps message board. A member just paid for the vBulletin upgrade to the latest version of 5.6.6..

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum

We're a small bunch left at this point but... spirited.

Tags
green lantern