The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #1201
Slime State Alumni
Hench Mutant

Has anyone seen these bootlegs from Taiwan around: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq5x0pvlvJI

I would love to own a couple of these just because of the fact that they come packaged unassembled which would be a dream come true for beginner toy makers/casters. Always wanted to make a bootleg set of vintage TMNT in green glow-in-the-dark plastic.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #1202
madyankees
Hench Mutant

Just came back from a holiday in Beijing. I was hunting for the multi coloured headband necas and found these too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (95.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (96.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (95.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (95.9 KB, 56 views)
madyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:32 AM   #1203
madyankees
Hench Mutant

And here's how they look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (88.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 11-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #1204
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by madyankees View Post
And here's how they look
Ugh. They look really bad.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #1205
Powder
So tired of this place

What makes you say that? They look pretty nice to me.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #1206
madyankees
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaeltheAwesome13 View Post
Ugh. They look really bad.
I think they are ok. I paid less than 4 bucks for all four turtles so can't complain
Old 11-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #1207
Eiko
Aussie and Proud

I have seen these on Ebay before pretty good if you cant get a hold of the real ones.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #1208
Phelous
Random Punk

I see the Lego KOs showing up quite a bit on Ebay lately they look pretty cool for sure.
Is there anywhere to pick up those Justice Fighters guys?

And has anyone heard of this one? Ninja Van! Looks like a cross between the Party Wagon and the Channel six Van. I really like the green haired April on the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmn_ITALY_RCvan.JPG (82.2 KB, 50 views)
Phelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #1209
Phelous
Random Punk

Here's some shots of the New Style Ninja Tortoise. Sichelangelo is the best!!! Get rid of those old Style Ninja Tortoises!
Also Sichelangelo's here to prove the Turly Gang aren't the only TMNT knock offs with MOTUish parts.

And here's the Bootleg Zones covering this guy: http://phelous.com/node/1488
Old 11-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #1210
Powder
So tired of this place

Those fingers are maaaaaad creepy.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #1211
Slime State Alumni
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelous View Post
Here's some shots of the New Style Ninja Tortoise. Sichelangelo is the best!!! Get rid of those old Style Ninja Tortoises!
Also Sichelangelo's here to prove the Turly Gang aren't the only TMNT knock offs with MOTUish parts.

And here's the Bootleg Zones covering this guy: http://phelous.com/node/1488
I'm still looking for Turtle Fighters Mikey with the pentagram carved into his head. AMAZING.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #1212
bebopcello
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slime State Alumni View Post
Has anyone seen these bootlegs from Taiwan around: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq5x0pvlvJI

I would love to own a couple of these just because of the fact that they come packaged unassembled which would be a dream come true for beginner toy makers/casters. Always wanted to make a bootleg set of vintage TMNT in green glow-in-the-dark plastic.
I have some of those, but I've never seen another set pop up for sale since. They weren't costly though.

Anyways, I wanted to post a few pictures for you all of some more bootlegs I got from China recently.

They're of the modern nick figures, which surprised me - you'd think these would be a lot harder to make bootlegs of. The real figure is on the left in each picture, for easy comparisons sake. There are lots of odd things about them, Leos inexplicably small sword holster thing for a start no idea why they did that. They all seem to have the same plastron, which looks like Donatello's to me.

Their shells are made of the same plastic as the rest of the figure, the details are all there just a little softer, and the articulation has survived for the most part - the arms are notably worse than the genuine article though. The hands - which again, all seem to be based on Leo's hands for some reason! - fall off at a moments notice.The heads feel like they'll snap off with not too much force, so I'm being careful with them!

Their weapons are all a little smaller, and made of more obviously cheaper looking and feeling plastic than the rest of the turtle is, even. Although Donnies Bo reminds me a lot of the original weapons in this brighter colour, for some reason! I didn't get a Mikey - they sent me two Donatello figures by mistake.

Obviously bootlegs are always worse than the real thing, but in this case they're pretty noticably inferior, mainly because the new nick figures were so solid overall, I suppose.

I hope the pictures aren't too big btw -if they're annoying let me know and I'll resize them again!
bebopcello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #1213
Powder
So tired of this place

Wow, for bootlegs those are pretty damn impressive. Short of the crooked knee pads and Leo's weird katana holster, they're really close to the originals. Paint looks really nice too!

Old 11-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #1214
Slime State Alumni
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopcello View Post
I have some of those, but I've never seen another set pop up for sale since. They weren't costly though.
Interesting; where did you see them for sale initially?

Those 2012 bootlegs are pretty nice considering how complex the molding/casting is for those figures due to the multiple parts and articulation. Where'd you get those?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #1215
Phelous
Random Punk

I like how those Nick bootlegs are slightly bigger than the originals. Also nice how Raph got that crack in his shell fixed. Weird how that one detail was omitted completely when most are still there.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #1216
Slime State Alumni
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelous View Post
I like how those Nick bootlegs are slightly bigger than the originals. Also nice how Raph got that crack in his shell fixed. Weird how that one detail was omitted completely when most are still there.
That's because all of the bootlegs are using Donatello's original plastron.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #1217
bebopcello
Random Punk

Quote:
Interesting; where did you see them for sale initially?

Those 2012 bootlegs are pretty nice considering how complex the molding/casting is for those figures due to the multiple parts and articulation. Where'd you get those?
I was just lucky and stumbled on them on ebay. I didn't know exactly what they were, but they said 'transformer' on the box and looked pretty close to the original figures, so I wanted to see them for myself. I look on ebay a lot for similar things, but I've not seen any since, sadly.

The nick bootlegs came from a site called aliexpress, although I've seen the exact same set (all the sellers use the same stock photos it seems) pop up on ebay for the same price. Buyer beware and all that though - like I said in my post, I didn't actually get all four turtles, and I've not got much help from the seller about that.
bebopcello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #1218
Slime State Alumni
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopcello View Post
I was just lucky and stumbled on them on ebay. I didn't know exactly what they were, but they said 'transformer' on the box and looked pretty close to the original figures, so I wanted to see them for myself. I look on ebay a lot for similar things, but I've not seen any since, sadly.

The nick bootlegs came from a site called aliexpress, although I've seen the exact same set (all the sellers use the same stock photos it seems) pop up on ebay for the same price. Buyer beware and all that though - like I said in my post, I didn't actually get all four turtles, and I've not got much help from the seller about that.
Yeah that can usually be the case, especially with bootlegs of products still being sold on the market. I hope to find those Taiwanese bootlegs at some point though, they'd definitely make great custom toy fodder.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #1219
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
That's because all of the bootlegs are using Donatello's original plastron.
Serious question time...is it just Donnie's plastron or is it his entire torso, ya think?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656

Last edited by Jester; 11-07-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #1220
Slime State Alumni
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Serious question time...is it just Donnie's plastron or is it his entire torso, ya think?
It could very well be his entire torso now that you mention it.