The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 05-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #21
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What's even the point of divorcing Superman again? Just to try and have him date Wonder Woman for the third or fourth time again?
I mean, the solution is so obvious... just have multiple more than one Superman in continuity but rotate them in and out of the primary dimension so that you can have one plotline dedicated to the "home" Supes and the other dedicated to the "away" Supes. It's just like a basketball and hockey team having to share the same arena!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #22
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I really don't understand why everyone keeps reinventing Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Flash, et al. Mustn't have character development, years of growth and progress and relationships to carry over for new readers! Bless those new readers and their less than fifty dollars worth of purchases, who drop the books anyway. And screw the faithful, who own every Superman or Green Lantern comic ever written. Why should they be considered in the business?
Old 05-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #23
sdp
-

You know what got me into comics in the first place? Continuity.

When I was a little kid I wasn't a huge superhero fan, I liked them but my interest piqued when I would pass through comic racks and see those amazing covers depicting a different world from what I was seeing in cartoons. Batman had different Robins, something had happened. Superman had died and four supermen were trying to take his place. All the Green Lanterns had died, Flash was the original kid flash. All this from the small bios I'd read inside comic books.

It's those things that got me hooked and made me a geek. As I watched the cratoon adaptations, I couldn't wait for those shows to eventually get to the storylines the comics were getting now that generations had happened in the comics.

When I was a teen I obviously saw things wouldn't change but I still saw that even with a sliding timeline and comic book time that time still passed in the DC and Marvel Universes albeit extreme slowly. I began collecting comic books. Eventually I realized that DC and Marvel just didn't care about even progressing little by little. My interest in ever getting into comics faded.

I take the approach of just read interesting stories and don't even care about continuity.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:14 AM   #24
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Jim Lee says the rumors of a reboot are untrue: https://twitter.com/jimlee/status/99...265145857?s=21
Yeah, of course he'd say that, anything to stop an immediate sales decrease before they're good and ready.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:36 AM   #25
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The problem with the DC reboots is Batman is always somehow less affected. Sure he might not be married to Catwoman and he might lose The Signal after the reboot, but he'll still have like 20 Robins. Go all out DC. Have Dick Grayson be Robin again and give us modern Dynamic Duo stories.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #26
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The problem with the DC reboots is Batman is always somehow less affected. Sure he might not be married to Catwoman and he might lose The Signal after the reboot, but he'll still have like 20 Robins. Go all out DC. Have Dick Grayson be Robin again and give us modern Dynamic Duo stories.
If we cannot have Batman married and Dick subbing as Batman this would be a welcome change of pace if it is a true reboot.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #27
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
At most, any franchise should only have two main versions: An "all-ages" one suitable for kids, and a "proper" one aimed more for the people actually paying for the product, that can actually tell stories of consequence. They should run parallel and not contradict each other in any significant way, and it should be believable that they're still in the same "universe" even if there are differences in tone or style. There can still be "Elseworlds" or "imaginary stories" but they should be clearly labelled as such and only used sparingly.
I am agree with pretty much all points in this message.

Until you went full elitist retard at 'cubed that is. Not that guy didn't deserve it, but they way you have went of the rocker was just hilarious and didn't make you look much better.

Last edited by Sumac; 05-12-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Green Lantern is almost always impervious to DC reboots. Even after the first Crisis.

That is, until Geoff John's showed up with his list of bullet points he didn't like about Hal... but even there, he finessed his changes into things not unlike a drunken sailor trying to give a foot massage at sea.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #29
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I am agree with pretty much all points in this message.

Until you went full elitist retard at 'cubed that is. Not that guy didn't deserve it, but they way you have went of the rocker was just hilarious and didn't make you look much better.
Cubed and I have been doing this dance longer than you've been around here, mate. Like 80 times as long.

He knows I'm his biggest fan. Nobody in the history of this place has ever spoken more in the defense of that guy. That said, I can kick him if I feel like it. If he didn't know he was the Village Idiot, he wouldn't keep ringing his goddamn bell.

Ain't like he gives a sh*t. He can handle his own business, eh?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Main reason I like anime and manga. Aside from a few exceptions, it starts and it ends. Move on to the next series. We don't have 20 Ichigos or 50 origins for Naruto floating around.
Same happens with European comics in general. Not to mention many of those, at least the likes of Tintin, Lucky Luke and Astérix, tend to be stand alone books/volumes with a new adventure and not some large continuing storyline. meaning you can easily hop in at any book and not feel lost, even when a character from a previous book you haven't read yet shows up.

I could never really get into Marvel and DC comics for the reasons Leo stated. People might think I take pride in not being a fan of those brands and such, but that's more like I don't have a ****ing clue where to begin and thus never had more than very superficial contact with Batman, Superman and Spider-Man. Basically a few video games and movies.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:06 AM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, I'm kind of on board the "one version" train. Though I get that different media should get their own versions.

Even as a kid, when I was reading the TMNTA Archie series, as soon as I discovered the Mirage stuff, there was no doubt in my mind "Oh, right, while this Archie stuff is still cool THIS is the real TMNT."

I wonder sometimes if the people clamoring for more and more new brand new TMNT universes, brand new Splinter and Bebop origins or whatever, I wonder if they're doing that because they want to obfuscate things to better suit "their canon." You know, back in the day, we could have a pretty logical argument that mutagen works this way, except for just the Fred Wolf stuff. Now people can say, "Hah! Well hold on, the mutagen only works that way in the Mirage and movie stuff! NOW it works THIS way in like the 5 other new cartoons since then, PLUS Fred Wolf... so I guess that settles that! I WIN THE ARGUMENT!"

Does that make sense?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote