The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 04-26-2021, 07:15 AM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

What if the Alien script had been put into production?

Yes, obviously it would have been awful but how do you think it would have been received? How much money would it have made? What would the impact on the rest of the franchise have been?

In case you don't know, here are the basic elements:
  • The Turtles are indeed aliens, they just think they're mutants because Splinter lied about it.
  • Their biological father was some kind of great warrior who fought against Krang.
  • Bebop and Rocksteady are running around looking just like in the cartoon.
  • Shredder is some kind of alien disguised as a human, not an utrom using the name Oroku Saki and the Shredder outfit, but rather a military officer who is some spiky creature underneath.
  • Casey is a security guard.
  • April is an intern at a news sation who later gets a job as an internet journalist.
  • Krang tries to bring the Technodrome to earth.
  • The movie ends with the Turtles going their separate ways to prevent portals to Dimension X opening up again.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:24 AM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

I think it would have gotten a huge backlash and done poorly.

But at the same time, there would be a huge subgroup of apologists defending it just because it said "TMNT" on the label, arguing that "The franchise needs to Evolve or Die" and that "It's just a NEW version! It's not for you old f*ckers anyways, maaaaaan!"

So... pretty much like BayTurtles and Rise, just from a different angle.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:53 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Yeah but Rise and Bayturtles does not change anything this fundamental, I'm not sure you'd find as people defending it. That is course unless they basically start out with the alien version and ignore what came before, ahem... "Alien Town"...
Hahahaha!
Old 04-26-2021, 07:59 AM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

Fewer people, sure. But they're ALWAYS gonna exist.

There are, and will always be, people who will get hard for anything that says "TMNT" no matter how different (or awful) it is compared to what's come before. And they'll find any reason they can to justify the unjustifiable.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

You could take those concepts and still make something 10x better than what we got. But the execution would have been just as awful, so I suppose it’d be like a negligible 5% worse than what we got.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:38 AM   #6
newfan
Mad Scientist

Pass. I'm not feeling that I wish we'd gotten this just because of what we did get.

Edit: With the fandom seeming divided on what they do and don't like it's hard to guess how well it would go down or not over the net. I imagine on here it would still have been a similar situation to how 2014 went down?

Last edited by newfan; 04-26-2021 at 08:59 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:01 AM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

But at the same time, there would be a huge subgroup of apologists defending it just because it said "TMNT" on the label, arguing that "The franchise needs to Evolve or Die" and that "It's just a NEW version! It's not for you old f*ckers anyways, maaaaaan!"

What's worse, you'd get the buttons saying it actually makes more sense for the Turtles and Shredder to be aliens than the actual lore and blah blah blah..

Then I'd get banned for a week for calling everyone sheep.

Then Andrew wouid post pictures of plants.

It would be a madhouse.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:36 PM   #8
Galactus
Foot Elite

What I find bizarre about that leaked script is how much contempt it seemed to display for the classic TMNT storyline. It's initial description of the turtles made them sound like complete losers. Splinter misleading his songs into thinking they were mutants as a silly story you tell children doesn't stack up when you think what they came up with was much stupider.

From interviews it was clear that they were dead set on the idea of re-imagining the TMNT story but had little idea of what they wanted to re-imagine it into. They were just doing it out of the flawed belief that because this was a new iteration of the property it must be re-worked.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:08 PM   #9
mrmaczaps
Banned

Wasn't the movie we got the "alien" one judt with the alien origins removed? Thats why they sucked.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:12 PM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Wasn't the movie we got the "alien" one judt with the alien origins removed? Thats why they sucked.
No. Out of the Shadows does have broad similarities to the Alien script, which is mostly just FW aping. The fake backstory in the Alien script have some similarities to the actual backstory in the first one but you could argue both were just taking a page out of IDW. But in general very little of it made it into either movie.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-26-2021, 06:11 PM   #11
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Yes, obviously it would have been awful but how do you think it would have been received? How much money would it have made? What would the impact on the rest of the franchise have been?

In case you don't know, here are the basic elements:
  • The Turtles are indeed aliens, they just think they're mutants because Splinter lied about it.
  • Their biological father was some kind of great warrior who fought against Krang.
  • Bebop and Rocksteady are running around looking just like in the cartoon.
  • Shredder is some kind of alien disguised as a human, not an utrom using the name Oroku Saki and the Shredder outfit, but rather a military officer who is some spiky creature underneath.
  • Casey is a security guard.
  • April is an intern at a news sation who later gets a job as an internet journalist.
  • Krang tries to bring the Technodrome to earth.
  • The movie ends with the Turtles going their separate ways to prevent portals to Dimension X opening up again.
Sounds like a pitch from your typical, Hollywood asshole making a "stunning and brave" wall covered in $#!(.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:54 PM   #12
sdp
-

this thread has already been done, but good to see other people wondering the same.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Would probably only be liked by people who are even below the most casual fans and have zero attachment to the Turtles; purely Bay fans who just like explosions.

Some of the Blue Door writing (not story) was better and suggested some really good visual elements in some parts of it (though a movie probably wouldn't have turned out as well as the screen play sounded anyhow), but the allover story is just crap that basically isn't the TMNT and just seems like some concept they had sitting around and wanted to force the TMNT to star in, just have to fill the names in the blanks. And the ending... while I get they were trying to go for an impact it's actually a rather depressing, heartbreaking end to it because they split them up and they supposedly would never see each other (nor Earth) ever again.

Part of the good stuff with the Turtles is the fact that no matter how different they might be, where it really matters they are still Earthlings and belong here with us. To take that away really stinks. To take them away from each others... yeah, no, don't. Not unless you're exploring something like Last Ronin.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:55 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

Pretty much.

And there was a ton of backlash online when it was originally announced the Turtles were going to be aliens in the Bay movie. But the script changed and then the backlash was all about Shredder being a white dude named Eric Sachs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
You could take those concepts and still make something 10x better than what we got. But the execution would have been just as awful, so I suppose it’d be like a negligible 5% worse than what we got.
Yeah, sounds about right.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #15
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

How close to production was The Blue Door script?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:42 PM   #16
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
How close to production was The Blue Door script?
You meant the alien script? Let's see here, the movie was originally going to come out in 2012 and Bay announced the alien origin in March 2012. I'm gonna guess it was going to go into production pretty soon after the announcement.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-21-2021, 03:17 AM   #17
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
You meant the alien script? Let's see here, the movie was originally going to come out in 2012 and Bay announced the alien origin in March 2012. I'm gonna guess it was going to go into production pretty soon after the announcement.
Yeah, I know the movie was intended for Christmas 2013. I'm more thinkig of what might had happened if Michael Bay skipped that March 2012 press conference? Or never said something about the changed origin of the Turtles at all.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote