The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #261
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
It seems like people want Ryan Reynolds to be Johnny Cage for the sequel. But the issue is, Can he fight?
Umm... movies are fake, so... it kinda doesn't matter if whoever plays the part can "really" fight; what matters is how they stage and shoot (and edit) the fight scene choreography.

They can also CGI any actor's head onto any stuntman's body during the wide shots, so it's a total non-issue. They've been doing that in fight scenes ever since Star Wars: Episode I came out.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #262
IMJ
Emperor

His power is to make green giant fists and gunturrets in a fight.... it's going to be great.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #263
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

John Cage's arcana is gonna be him glowing green.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #264
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
John Cage's arcana is gonna be him glowing green.
That was it... lmao Arcana. I forgot the word they used for it in the movie or I'd have said it above
Old 05-02-2021, 06:58 PM   #265
Leo656
The Franchise

"I get REALLY Mad and now I have a random super-power!"

I mean, it's more or less fine. You gotta give SOME kinda explanation as to how these normies can shoot fireballs and eye lasers and sh*t. It just could've been a little less arbitrary and a little more fleshed out. Like maybe their powers could have been explained as being somehow representative of something about them as people - Cole's kinda did that, sort of; he manifested armor, symbolic of "protection", at a moment when his primary concern was protecting his family, so that was almost something. But for the most part it was all random and I feel like more could've been done with it.

Gotta say, when Kano was like "Might be sh*t. Might get a Frisbee hat", or whatever, I think I pee'd a little.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:30 PM   #266
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I saw the movie the Friday it came out on HBOMax thanks to my aunt who added me to her account. I'll start with things I did like or semi-like.

I'll get the main thing out of the way first...Sub-Zero and Scorpion. Loved that. The beginning started off very nicely, but I still wish that they would've gotten more into why the Lin Kuei (sp?) was so interested in Hanzo. I know the backstory of Sub Zero killing Scorpion and his family, but the movie should have explained it in some way unless I missed it somehow.

I think they nailed Kano as an ass pretty well. He did seem to talk a bit too much, though to the point of becoming slightly grating. I guess I'm a bit in the middle.

How the fighters were chosen...okay, honestly I'm a bit mixed on. One the one hand, having an explanation for why they can use those moves was kind of nice, but on the other hand it felt unnecessary. I think the tattoo showing that they're predestined to be chosen with the Arcana was kind of nice...but yeah, like I said, I was mixed on this, but I must say this to sum up this power revelation thing..."Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

I actually really liked Liu Kang. There was something adorable about him, like at that part where he offered to warm Cole's family. It was a good portrayal of Liu, imo, since for this iteration, he never actually left the temple (like in the game, practically) and still had that zen, monk approach going on...so yeah, liked him. ^_^

Kung Lao!!! Love love love love!!! My bias is showing, but oh man I loved him! Kung Lao has always been one of my all-time favorite characters, and seeing him in live-action (and actually likable). Hated that he was taken out, though. I was like WTH!! They're already changing junk up anyway, why not keep him! T_T

Things I disliked...

The Kung Lao thing. T_T

I really wasn't big on Cole's character. I just couldn't get into him and I'm not sure if it's because he was an original character or his bland personality. He also felt generic. I also felt that his family should have been killed out, as well as him, and that would've caused Scorpion's spirit to resurrect in him and then he would take over Cole's dead body and Cole would become the new Scorpion, but since Cole is American, that would get around the language barrier thing. lol Something else they could have done was explain more about Hanzo in general since Cole is his descendant.

Shang Tsung. My bias is going to show with this, but...I just didn't like the casting for Shang Tsung. I liked Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung. Since this is supposed to be before the first tournament, why not use Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa since he's older now and game 1 Tsung is supposed to be old anyway. I also didn't mind Bruce Locke's portrayal of Shang Tsung in the "Why did they bother", Mortal Kombat Conquest. lol Shang Tsung in this film was very flat and boring to me.

Shang Tsung's group of minions...somewhat. I just feel they should've used different characters or maybe non-game characters and maybe tease Goro for the next film. Mileena, imo, really shouldn't have been a part of this group.

The wasted use of Goro. Why not save him for the next movie which will have the actual tournament. If they're going to milk this franchise, do it right.

Sonya and Jax. Okay, I really didn't care for Sonya and Jax understanding the whole MK thing as opposed to just being dragged into the MK events. If Liu Kang and Kung Lao was tasked to find fighters, why the heck are Sonya and Jax doing their job? Really made no sense.

I'll stop here. I know there's more, but these are what's coming to me off the top of my drowsy head. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Ryan Renolds is nearly 50, he's way too old to be playing Johnny Cage.

Johnny should be around 25-30 or so.
Ryan Reynolds is still fit, in shape, and good looking! Who cares if he's nearing 50 (I actually thought he was in his mid-40s).

Some people online were saying that the Miz would make a good Johnny Cage given that his wrestling persona is cocky and all that.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:41 AM   #267
CyberCubed
Overlord

Kung Lao dying was fine, he's usually the first to go in canon (in the Mk9 storyline of the games he's the first main character to die to Goro), and it allows Liu Kang to step in as the true Asian hero.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #268
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Kung Lao dying was fine, he's usually the first to go in canon (in the Mk9 storyline of the games he's the first main character to die to Goro), and it allows Liu Kang to step in as the true Asian hero.
Wut.
In MK9 he died by Shao Kahn at the end of MK2 events.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:44 PM   #269
CyberCubed
Overlord

Oh yeah that's right, I wrongly remembered it being Goro for some reason.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #270
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
As mentioned, Shao Khan killed him. Anyway, having Liu step up after his death would make sense, if this had happened at the tournament and if Cole wasn't the central character. If they were going to kill off Kung Lao, they really should have done it later and shift the story back onto Liu and off of Cole. I have no problem with him being killed out, I have an issue with him being killed off at this point of the story when canonically he's around later for it.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:37 PM   #272
AquaParade
Banned

Mortal Kombat at least made it clear that people are interested in the franchise. Hopefully it gets another shot with a bit more budget put into the creative team.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #273
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Old 05-03-2021, 04:32 PM   #274
AquaParade
Banned

Lol that's pretty good!
Old 05-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #275
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Demon Slayer anime overtaking MK at the box office

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/b...at-1234964597/
To this day I have no idea what modern anime are so popular.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #276
IMJ
Emperor

HA! That is awesome!
Old 05-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #277
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
To this day I have no idea what modern anime are so popular.
While I'm a fan of anime, I can't speak to the modern landscape. I haven't watched anything very recent.

But...it does seem like anime is really popular with young people now. I mean it always was, but now it seems like it's "cool" to like. I'm thinking a big rapper came out and said they like anime and therefore made it cool for teens to like anime, or something. When I was a kid, it was extremely "uncool".
Old 05-03-2021, 05:54 PM   #278
Leo656
The Franchise

I cannot stand that TigerClaw of all people posted something that has now become my newest FB status. God dammit.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:24 PM   #279
IMJ
Emperor

What was the last anime movie that really shook things up and was revered?

Fist of the North Star (1984)
Akira (1988 )
Ninja Scroll (1993)
Ghost In The Shell (1996)
Ponyo (2009)

Attack On Titan has been a big game-changer for the medium, but that's T.V. I'm talking straight up, anime movie, largely recognized on a scale that most other anime isn't. Those five I listed are sort of widely accepted as moving the medium forward or game changers. What have we had maybe since Ghost In The Shell and after Ponyo?
Old 05-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #280
CyberCubed
Overlord

Usually TV series are more popular than movies in terms of mainstream for anime.