The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-07-2021, 04:00 AM   #21
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

I've been watching through the MCU again, and something struck me, when Arnim Zola (Captain America: Winter Soldier) reads off Captain America and Black Widow's birthdates, and he states that Natasha was born in 1984...

Dude, I'm older than the Avengers? What happened!
Old 03-07-2021, 10:21 AM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah it's funny. In the 80's and 90's we were all kids and the people who were adults at the time were in their 20's or 30's as actors and that means they were born in the 60's.

Nowadays adults in the 2020's means they were born around the late 90's or early 2000's. Isn't it ironic someone born in the year 2000 is now 21 years old? When I think of 2000's kids I think of them as babies...not fully grown legal adults.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #23
Prowler
Emperor

As for what you said a while ago about people aged 28 and above being "old" to you when you were a kid, I can relate.

I remember being a teenager and my peers calling people in their 30s "old". Ofc but old as in actual old people, but they didn't consider them young either.

In HS I had a few female teachers who were around 27/30 years old. They were the youngest teachers I had but still felt like there was a big difference between me and them. Now I'm around the age they were back in the mid-late 2000s and it just feels strange.

And I can relate to what you said about 18-22 year olds looking very young to me nowadays.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:37 PM   #24
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I will start to worry when I will be older than Splinter (how old is he supposed to be anyway?)
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I will start to worry when I will be older than Splinter (how old is he supposed to be anyway?)
Don't know. But FW Splinter doesn't look like an old man in his human form. Somehow, turning into a rat aged him and he needs a cane to help him walk.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:57 PM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

All in all I don't actually feel much older because I primarily tend to think of them, outside of any particular series, etc, as their real world age and 37 as of November. What makes me feel old is that THEY are that old. lol

As for the various series/iterations... Doesn't really bother me much when it's "in name only," and most versions are young adults to me, title be damned. I'm not crazy about Nick (and now a possible movie) trying to make them younger and younger and zero in too much on the "teen" part of the title that shouldn't even be the primary focus.

2012 as one exception was fun for that one, esp since it was a well done series and that more youthful vibe hadn't been done yet, but it stops being fun when they keep going that way and it sinks to the immature types of portrayal like that of Rise.

I think a generic 20-something young adult type of personality works best, letting viewers decide on their own whether to view them as young adults or as teens who are just more mature than typical. I think that's the sweet spot in terms of relatability, for both younger viewers in who they are becoming as they grow up and for older viewers because on the inside most never really lose the feeling of the age they were in their 20s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Now I'm around the age they were back in the mid-late 2000s and it just feels strange.
Feel the same way about my high school gym teacher. First day of high school, the class waiting for the teacher and in walks this rather young looking guy in his 20s. (Think every girl in that co-ed class looked up and went "whoa.") Wild to think about how young he really was... and poor guy in his 50s now. Time moves way too fast.

Though it would be funny to talk to him now and, despite maybe being a dozen or so years older than I am, being able to say I remember him when he was just still a "kid" in his 20s. lol

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-07-2021 at 01:13 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:47 PM   #27
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
All in all I don't actually feel much older because I primarily tend to think of them, outside of any particular series, etc, as their real world age and 37 as of November. What makes me feel old is that THEY are that old. lol

As for the various series/iterations... Doesn't really bother me much when it's "in name only," and most versions are young adults to me, title be damned. I'm not crazy about Nick (and now a possible movie) trying to make them younger and younger and zero in too much on the "teen" part of the title that shouldn't even be the primary focus.

2012 as one exception was fun for that one, esp since it was a well done series and that more youthful vibe hadn't been done yet, but it stops being fun when they keep going that way and it sinks to the immature types of portrayal like that of Rise.

I think a generic 20-something young adult type of personality works best, letting viewers decide on their own whether to view them as young adults or as teens who are just more mature than typical. I think that's the sweet spot in terms of relatability, for both younger viewers in who they are becoming as they grow up and for older viewers because on the inside most never really lose the feeling of the age they were in their 20s.

Feel the same way about my high school gym teacher. First day of high school, the class waiting for the teacher and in walks this rather young looking guy in his 20s. (Think every girl in that co-ed class looked up and went "whoa.") Wild to think about how young he really was... and poor guy in his 50s now. Time moves way too fast.

Though it would be funny to talk to him now and, despite maybe being a dozen or so years older than I am, being able to say I remember him when he was just still a "kid" in his 20s. lol
When I watch a TV series or something set in school nowadays I end up relating more with and siding with the teachers than with the students. I just look at the students and feel they're acting entitled and spoiled.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

30 isn't old anymore.

But 40 is definitely old. I hate 40+ year olds. When I eventually hit 40 I'm just going to always say, "I am 32" and leave it at that. 40 year olds are creepy, they're like that weird interval between being young in your 30's and before you hit middle age at 50.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:45 PM   #29
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Psh. You're probably already way creepier than most of us here already past 40.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
30 isn't old anymore.

But 40 is definitely old. I hate 40+ year olds. When I eventually hit 40 I'm just going to always say, "I am 32" and leave it at that. 40 year olds are creepy, they're like that weird interval between being young in your 30's and before you hit middle age at 50.
Dude, don't be ageist. I can understand disliking kids or even old people, since both tend to have some annoying or peculiarly odd traits and behaviour, but hating 40 year olds?! That's just bizarre.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:52 PM   #31
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
30 isn't old anymore.

I think it's weird that you are a 30 year old male and use the word "creepy".
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:00 PM   #32
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

Quote:
30 isn't old anymore.

Whoa dude. As someone who is just a few steps away from 40 that is offensive. I was creepy before my age. My creepiness is not adjacent to my age, it was before that.

I like me some big anime tittays YAAAAAAAY
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:07 PM   #33
Musashi
Foot Soldier

Well, I could comment, but I wouldn't want to risk creeping anyone out, like I apparently have been for almost three years now.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:08 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

40 year olds basically hover around the "older creepy uncle" scale.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:10 PM   #35
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

Creepy uncle..... thats a deep cut.

Did your uncle hurt you bro?
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #36
srmff
Foot Soldier

I don't have much of an issue with the turtles' ages but I'm still in my early 20s so it might hit me eventually. I found it weird when I sat down and watched the shows about pre-teens teenagers and realised that I was older than the cast. It felt like the teenagers in those shows dealing with dating, etc. would always be older than me. There was an Australian soap that I used to watch just because it used to air right before The Simpsons. I found it really strange that I was older than the teen cast of the show. Love Island was another show where it seemed crazy that these people were younger than me.

Just as an anecdote, I remember that I was by myself at a pub for a while when I was 18. There was a 30 year old sitting beside me and he started up a conversation. I just naively assumed that he was being friendly since I was by myself. Even when he bought me a drink, I didn't think anything of it. I was caught totally off guard when he asked me out. He was quite persistant but I was hesitant to say that he was too old for me in case I'd offend him. I just said that I was focusing on college at the moment and not looking to date as an excuse and that I like to stay in. I had enough when he said that we could stay in together. So yeah, I found it a bit weird that a 30 year old was looking to date me when I would obviously have so much less life experience than him.
srmff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:19 PM   #37
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I seem to be hovering around the "cool aunt" setting, so I must be doing something right.

Granted that's the opinion of a 4-year-old who is yelled at less by me, but it has to count for something.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #38
Musashi
Foot Soldier

Who exactly is weighing these older, creepy uncles, and why is their weight so important...?
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:12 PM   #39
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Who exactly is weighing these older, creepy uncles, and why is their weight so important...?

Some people just go by the "Dad Bod" heuristic...

On that note, remember when that was a thing? Suddenly all of these little puppy-aged girls where like "Dad bod is hawt!"
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #40
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
40 year olds basically hover around the "young and beautiful uncle/aunt" scale.
Fixed that for you.

You strike me as a person who relives Groundhogs Day.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote