The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-28-2015, 10:03 PM   #61
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

People keep bring up the Avengers, but they all had individual movies. One of the main complaints about Batman V. Superman is it's bloated cast.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #62
Coola Yagami
Overlord

On one side though, between a new Shredder, hopefully a bigger role for Karai, plus Casey, Bebop and Rocksteady, who are obviously having some human screen time rather than just mutants right off the bat, means less time for April bending over Mikey/Vernon wanting to shag her jokes.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 PM   #63
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
On one side though, between a new Shredder, hopefully a bigger role for Karai, plus Casey, Bebop and Rocksteady, who are obviously having some human screen time rather than just mutants right off the bat, means less time for April bending over Mikey/Vernon wanting to shag her jokes.
Or it means they'll have very little screen time compared to Megan O'Fox.

Which...boooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #64
*NormalGamer*
Random Punk

I'm glad to see parts of the TMNT lore featured on the big screen even if they don't come out as perfect; then again, nothing is perfect all the time and that's life. Just like the TMNT 2014 film, the best we can do is just watch the film for 'what it is', even with it's highs and lows.

As for the actors that are playing Bebop and rocksteady, can't wait to see the final cut and as long as they play the characters right that's good enough for me.
*NormalGamer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #65
Leo656
The Franchise

Some cartoon stuff just doesn't play well in live-action. Here we go.

If they were going to be SO spot-on with the cartoon look, they needed to do a full-on, 100% cartoon, "Speed Racer" or "Dead Or Alive" kind of movie. One of the studio's alleged missions from the beginning of the TMNT project was to "Keep things grounded in reality", and yet, visually everything is so friggin' cheesy to look at. That's one of the biggest problems, they keep trying to have it both ways.

I always wanted to see Bebop and Rocksteady in a movie, too, but this doesn't look too good, honestly. I'm still curious how they'll look post-mutation, but their "normal" look is too over-the-top. I mean that is one BAD lookin' mohawk wig. That's not even something Party City would have on clearance. Come ON. Try a LITTLE bit, guys. "As long as it's f*cking purple...!" And screwy thing is, that's the TRUTH! It doesn't matter that it looks like just the worst amateur cosplay ever when taken altogether, the fact that it's exactly the right *color* has people pissing themselves in delight.

I'unno. I've been saying for decades that there's a way to make Bebop and Rocksteady turn out amazing in live-action. This looks like they're aiming from the wrong angle.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 05-28-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 PM   #66
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Exactly. No, I don't expect Casablanca or Citizen Kane, but it could have been Guardians of the Galaxy. Instead we get Batman Forever (or maybe "And Robin")
^^ What he said. Why are our only options:
1) the ultimate cinematic achievement of all time, or
2) spam in a can?

Whatever happened to people just making good movies? Not something so profound that you've rediscovered the meaning of life, not terrible dreck - just good. Must everything be at one extreme end of the spectrum or the other? Is competence really so difficult for people these days?

Look, I'm sorry, but the 1990 film set the bar for what people have a right to expect. If you can't do as good a job when you've got way more budget, then you've failed in your mission. There is zero excuse for a major Hollywood production to fail where an indie film succeeded.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:16 PM   #67
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

If they were going to be SO spot-on with the cartoon look, they needed to do a full-on, 100% cartoon, "Speed Racer" or "Dead Or Alive" kind of movie. One of the studio's alleged missions from the beginning of the TMNT project was to "Keep things grounded in reality", and yet, visually everything is so friggin' cheesy to look at. That's one of the biggest problems, they keep trying to have it both ways.

I always wanted to see Bebop and Rocksteady in a movie, too, but this doesn't look too good, honestly. I'm still curious how they'll look post-mutation, but their "normal" look is too over-the-top. I mean that is one BAD lookin' mohawk wig. That's not even something Party City would have on clearance. Come ON. Try a LITTLE bit, guys. "As long as it's f*cking purple...!" And screwy thing is, that's the TRUTH! It doesn't matter that it looks like just the worst amateur cosplay ever when taken altogether, the fact that it's exactly the right *color* has people pissing themselves in delight.

I'unno. I've been saying for decades that there's a way to make Bebop and Rocksteady turn out amazing in live-action. This looks like they're aiming from the wrong angle.
The OT is hardly the first version I'd want to see adapted for a modern live action film, but I'd love it if they did it in a way that was true to what it's based on, tonally. Wild, vivid colors, funky slang, full of punk/hip-hop flavor, just totally goofy & unrealistic. Trying to pass the influence of that series in a "realistic" way is about as absurd as can be. There's nothing dark about the stuff they're drawing from, for the most part, yet they're trying to pass it off as Batman Begins styled re-imagining. You could go that route, sure, but you can't have it both ways, as they're trying (& failing) to do. Like I said, do whatever, but just pick that 1 thing & stick with it.

Make 'em look sorta like this:

Have them eating pizza for every meal, breakdancing, quoting 80's media left & right, the whole shtick. Bebop & Rocksteady fit with that.

Orrrrrrrr just make them full on gritty (with a bit of humor, for fairness' sake) & make them look like some of the rejected concept art.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:16 PM   #68
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:

oh but Leo, don't you see? He's still black and has a purple mohawk. Clearly that is all that really matters. The movie is already an oscar winner based on those two facts alone.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 05-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #69
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
People keep bring up the Avengers, but they all had individual movies. One of the main complaints about Batman V. Superman is it's bloated cast.
It's been confirmed numerous times that most of those other characters' screen time will be measured in minutes if not seconds. Stop it.

Also: I got stuff to do, but don't even come near me with that "Every character having an individual series of films is what made 'Avengers' so awesome" nonsense, because I will MAKE time to point out just how many of those films were completely, totally, entirely avoidable, forgettable, and non-essential to what Avengers finally ended up being. And I will do the same thing to illustrate how many movies since, while enjoyable, had NOTHING to do with Avengers 2, either.

Even if they were good, that's not the point. 60% of those movies were only "essential" insofar as to say, "Hey, the guy in this movie will ALSO be in Avengers!" The fact that CYBORG or AQUALOSER aren't getting their own 2-hour "movie"/JLA commercial is not in any way indicative of how BvS or Justice League will turn out. People are over-thinking it. C'mon, guy, you're better than that.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:30 PM   #70
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NormalGamer* View Post
Just like the TMNT 2014 film, the best we can do is just watch the film for 'what it is', even with it's highs and lows.
As long as I can watch the 2014 movie for what it is, which is a bad movie.

Quote:

Been seeing it all afternoon. It's amazing how little some folks need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
oh but Leo, don't you see? He's still black and has a purple mohawk. Clearly that is all that really matters. The movie is already an oscar winner based on those two facts alone.
"Best movie of 2016"

Already seen that too.

Quote:
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:30 PM   #71
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
It's been confirmed numerous times that most of those other characters' screen time will be measured in minutes if not seconds. Stop it.

Also: I got stuff to do, but don't even come near me with that "Every character having an individual series of films is what made 'Avengers' so awesome" nonsense, because I will MAKE time to point out just how many of those films were completely, totally, entirely avoidable, forgettable, and non-essential to what Avengers finally ended up being. And I will do the same thing to illustrate how many movies since, while enjoyable, had NOTHING to do with Avengers 2, either.

Even if they were good, that's not the point. 60% of those movies were only "essential" insofar as to say, "Hey, the guy in this movie will ALSO be in Avengers!" The fact that CYBORG or AQUALOSER aren't getting their own 2-hour "movie"/JLA commercial is not in any way indicative of how BvS or Justice League will turn out. People are over-thinking it. C'mon, guy, you're better than that.
Leo... clearly you're not DC-ing correctly...

Old 05-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #72
Walkabout
Stone Warrior

They look great to me, it's just a shame about literally everything else in these movies

It's weird how it looks like they've been nice and faithful to these two yet all the other characters are so...different.

Also, I'm disappointed to see them drinking coffee- shouldn't they be in a bar or at the other extreme in an ice cream parlour?
Coffee shop just seems weird.

R.I.P. Dave Brockie A.K.A. Oderus Urungus
None But The Brave
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:05 PM   #73
*NormalGamer*
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
As long as I can watch the 2014 movie for what it is, which is a bad movie.
And as I said, 'nothing' is perfect and that's life. That's why I don't like expecting perfection too much.
*NormalGamer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:09 PM   #74
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NormalGamer* View Post
And as I said, 'nothing' is perfect and that's life. That's why I don't like expecting perfection too much.
So it's either perfection or bad movie.

Nothing in between.

Gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
^^ What he said. Why are our only options:
1) the ultimate cinematic achievement of all time, or
2) spam in a can?

Whatever happened to people just making good movies? Not something so profound that you've rediscovered the meaning of life, not terrible dreck - just good. Must everything be at one extreme end of the spectrum or the other? Is competence really so difficult for people these days?

Look, I'm sorry, but the 1990 film set the bar for what people have a right to expect. If you can't do as good a job when you've got way more budget, then you've failed in your mission. There is zero excuse for a major Hollywood production to fail where an indie film succeeded.
Yep, this seems good to quote right about now.

Quote:
Old 05-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #75
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
The OT is hardly the first version I'd want to see adapted for a modern live action film, but I'd love it if they did it in a way that was true to what it's based on, tonally. Wild, vivid colors, funky slang, full of punk/hip-hop flavor, just totally goofy & unrealistic. Trying to pass the influence of that series in a "realistic" way is about as absurd as can be. There's nothing dark about the stuff they're drawing from, for the most part, yet they're trying to pass it off as Batman Begins styled re-imagining. You could go that route, sure, but you can't have it both ways, as they're trying (& failing) to do. Like I said, do whatever, but just pick that 1 thing & stick with it.
Yeah dude. That's why I LOVE the Speed Racer movie. There was no pretense, it simply WAS the cartoon in live-action. Some people hate that, and are like, "Just do a cartoon, then", but I don't see any other way it could have been done without looking even MORE ridiculous. The original was SO blissfully insane, if you tried to make it "real" you'd ruin it.

If they were going to do an OT-based TMNT movie and actually DO that, well, I know I could relax *a little* about certain things, and could even appreciate some things being "cheesy" or whatever. And hey, lots of movies take bits and pieces of different interpretations and blend them in a way that makes sense. THIS series, though, doesn't know WHAT it wants to be or WHO it's trying to please. They're shooting for as many targets as they can and subsequently missing all of them except the biggest, broadest ones. It's trying to "be the cartoon" while "keeping it real" (how anyone ever said THAT about this series with a straight face, I'll never know).

You gotta pick a spot and commit.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #76
syk_skillz
Foot Soldier

Rocksteady needs to turn into a Lobsterhead before he turns into a Rhino. WWE sure has a lot of links to the TMNT movies franchise lately.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:15 AM   #77
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by syk_skillz View Post
Rocksteady needs to turn into a Lobsterhead before he turns into a Rhino. WWE sure has a lot of links to the TMNT movies franchise lately.
Lately?
Spoiler:

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:30 AM   #78
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Not digging it. Guess some things just don't translate well in a live action setting.
Not with those two dudes.

It could totally work - it's hardly a stretch, one guy in cammo with blonde crew cut, the other with a white T-shirt, a red leather motorcycle jacket, and ripped black jeans.

The problem are the dudes they cast. ...

This, essentially, but a black man with a burple hawk and shade. Not hard to do!

Lawd have mercy!
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:34 AM   #79
Leo656
The Franchise

Jester: Nash was in WCW at that point in time. He wouldn't have anything to do with the WWF for two more years.

<<< "That Guy".

Old 05-29-2015, 12:47 AM   #80
Xav
Foot Elite

They somehow manged to make Bebop look more ridiculous than his cartoon counterpart, and where the hell are his glasses?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebop, rocksteady