The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-21-2022, 12:04 AM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I feel like SOMEONE at Archie did give Man Ray scales in something. Maybe it was a guest artist.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:53 AM   #22
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Not gonna rewatch and get the timestamp for you but go watch the fwoosh interview.
Trevor said they consulted with the artist 'cos he drew the characters so many different ways and probably ended up with that.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 02:50 AM   #23
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Wow! Didn't pick up on all these guys, had only seen the Last Ronin and Usagi pics over the weekend!

Jagwar and Dredmon look incredible!

I'm not sure if I can actually afford to start collecting another line, as the Mirage stuff would be my preference. But those Archie figs look amazing and take me back to my childhood.

That's the weird thing, as a kid the Archie series was my thing but as the years progressed I picked up misc mirage issues. So it's difficult to have to choose! Might pick and choose the odd Archie figures. But man. They look good.

Agree on Ray Fillet - doesn't look quite right. His head looks too long. The original Playmates figure wasn't far off, just tweak that design.

I do think NECA scaling isn't always on point. For example Bebop and Rocksteady I think are over sized (too tall). They were more short and squat in the TV series. Have a feeling Ray F looks too tall as well.

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:43 AM   #24
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post
I do think NECA scaling isn't always on point. For example Bebop and Rocksteady I think are over sized (too tall). They were more short and squat in the TV series. Have a feeling Ray F looks too tall as well.
I think they went with the season 1 scales, as they were indeed huge compared to the Turtles in those episodes.
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:21 AM   #25
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Jagwar and Dreadmon look totally like 3D models of Ken Mitchroney's art.
Right? Sooooo awesome.
I love it when modern collecting comes through to fill in a gap that we all wished wasn't there as kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post
I'm not sure if I can actually afford to start collecting another line, as the Mirage stuff would be my preference. But those Archie figs look amazing and take me back to my childhood.
That's how I feel too. But NECA embracing Archie is possibly the only thing they could've done to rope me again like this. I think I've been saying it here on the boards as well for some time now. But I'm in and I'm excited. Possibly more for this than the FW line.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:51 AM   #26
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Jagwar and Dreadmon look totally like 3D models of Ken Mitchroney's art.
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
i think i see where NECA got the misunderstanding for "scales" on man ray. google images.

NECA, pro tip, those aren't scales. those are obliques, ab muscles over the ribs.
I think the details are definitely intentional, as Mitchroney worked with Trevor Zammit on the designs:
https://twitter.com/KMitchroney/stat...93622711689220

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:56 AM   #27
AquaParade
Banned

I really need Chris Allan figures, the more I think about it. I always considered that the definitive version of the Archie TMNT, so I hope they agree. I think I’d even take sculpts of those over new Mirage figures. I just love the way he drew them.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:35 PM   #28
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I think the details are definitely intentional, as Mitchroney worked with Trevor Zammit on the designs:
https://twitter.com/KMitchroney/stat...93622711689220
weird. maybe 30 decades away from the original work has fogged mitchroney's memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
Trevor said they consulted with the artist 'cos he drew the characters so many different ways and probably ended up with that.
yeah, guest artists and the like. and yet, there's like 90% consistency towards one aesthetic between all the issues i have, key art, google images, etc. the other 10% are guest artists. the figure really doesn't represent either.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:59 PM   #29
italianice388
Stone Warrior

im not seeing any scales, guys. and he looks pretty consistently styled across issues to me. pretty consistently not like the figure. i think they can do better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manray3.jpg (102.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 02-21-2022, 02:04 PM   #30
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I really need Chris Allan figures, the more I think about it. I always considered that the definitive version of the Archie TMNT, so I hope they agree. I think I’d even take sculpts of those over new Mirage figures. I just love the way he drew them.
Man, can you imagine NECA releasing both Mitchroney and Allan versions of the same characters?

Quote:
weird. maybe 30 decades away from the original work has fogged mitchroney's memory.
Maybe he just prefers the scale-y look?

EDIT: Perhaps, the scales are a NECA embellishment. The recent commissions of Ray Fillet that Mitchroney shared online seem to favor the cleaner look:
https://twitter.com/KMitchroney/stat...47642741788674
https://twitter.com/KMitchroney/stat...98833927180290

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 02-21-2022 at 02:10 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 02:33 PM   #31
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Man, can you imagine NECA releasing both Mitchroney and Allan versions of the same characters?
That would be both awesome and awful at the same time.
The truth is that they should prototype the best "Archie body" that they can and include alternate heads, one styled from each artist.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:54 PM   #32
italianice388
Stone Warrior

and to try to provide some solutions rather than just call out problems, here's how i'd do it (my edit on the left). what do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manray4.jpg (97.6 KB, 92 views)
Old 02-21-2022, 03:04 PM   #33
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
and to try to provide some solutions rather than just call out problems, here's how i'd do it (my edit on the left). what do you guys think?
I would buy your version!
frank_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:16 PM   #34
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
While your version is pretty cool and accurate to the source material, I actually weirdly prefer the one with the creatively licensed scales. I think the "ears"/antenna move around quite a bit in the comics. Maybe make it out of bendy material...?

I do like the face that you've created with the yellow eyes and altered teeth profile but I don't think NECA's interpretation is necessarily inaccurate. The main issue is that the character's illustration warps/morphs quite a bit from comic to comic, page to page and panel to panel.

Last edited by Dask; 02-21-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:23 PM   #35
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I would buy your version!
thanks, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
While your version is pretty cool and accurate to the source material, I actually weirdly prefer the one with the creatively licensed scales.
respect your opinion! but, isn't the whole point of doing an archie line to be accurate to the source material?
Old 02-21-2022, 05:29 PM   #36
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
thanks, my friend!

respect your opinion! but, isn't the whole point of doing an archie line to be accurate to the source material?
That's why I think the positively provided solution is actually for NECA to include a few head sculpts rather than try to capture one in mediocrity.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:14 PM   #37
italianice388
Stone Warrior

i think that would be a fantastic idea, honestly, for most characters in this line. the turtles themselves have several styles. chris allan, peter laird, a.c. farley, david garcia, ken mitchroney - all of these are iconic in their own right. having a variant head for at least allan and mitchroney would be awesome.

which makes me think...all this time we've been asking for archie figures. but it's clear that the "archie" aesthetic means something very different depending on who you ask.

i'd love to see this (image below) as the de-facto style for the main characters for the first few waves, then see some mitchroney and allan. an a.c. farley 'mutant universe sourcebook' line is a pipe dream, but i'd love it.

for turtles, i could see four packs of each of the following:
  • mitchroney regular
  • mitchroney wrestling
  • allan regular
  • allan future
  • a.c. farley regular

we'd save a lot of time if we just had a mitchroney, allan, and farley head for each, and some standardization on the bodies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Of_Turtles_and_Stones_and_Mary_Bones.jpg (110.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 02-21-2022, 06:18 PM   #38
italianice388
Stone Warrior

who wouldn't kill for an a.c. farley slash? or a peter laird armaggon?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCO001_1462453101.jpg (110.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg download (5).jpg (90.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-21-2022, 06:50 PM   #39
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

This stuff is cool, and the figures look great, but at $25-$30 apiece, and with the sheer volume of them that keep coming out, it's just not possible to keep up. I sort of tapped on NECA awhile ago because of how hard some of the figures were to find, and because of how crappy NECA's customer service is, but clearly they've found that no matter how many times they go to the well people will keep buying stuff.

Last edited by I Crave Pizza No More; 02-23-2022 at 05:02 AM.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:09 PM   #40
Leo656
The Franchise

Ah, crap.

I don't own any NECA figures outside of the movie TMNT and Splinter as the rest of the stuff is just a nightmare to even try to keep up with. But I might "have to" get some of these. Especially if they do a Ninjara.

Damn it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote