The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #81
Foombamaroom
Lord of Cinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

Tell me you're not serious.
Re-watch the teaser compared to the trailers of the Force Awakens. The stuff shown here is just there. There's not some sort of heavily emphasized feeling of, "OH HEY, LOOK, IT'S STAR WARS, X-WINGS, TIE-FIGHTERS, MILLENNIUM FALCON."

I should've phrased it as they're not playing off the nostalgia like Force Awakens was. This looks like they're trying to just be painstakingly close to the originals because of continuity, which makes sense.

Force Awakens is a nostalgia fest because it's a rehash of what you've seen before. It's a good rehash, in my opinion, but still a rehash. This looks new and fresh, just set in the same time period with props you've already seen before.

Obviously everyone's going to feel nostalgic about this movie, but it doesn't seem like they're using it as their primary factor to market the film. The Force Awakens did.
Foombamaroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #82
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foombamaroom View Post
Re-watch the teaser compared to the trailers of the Force Awakens. The stuff shown here is just there. There's not some sort of heavily emphasized feeling of, "OH HEY, LOOK, IT'S STAR WARS, X-WINGS, TIE-FIGHTERS, MILLENNIUM FALCON."

I should've phrased it as they're not playing off the nostalgia like Force Awakens was. This looks like they're trying to just be painstakingly close to the originals because of continuity, which makes sense.

Force Awakens is a nostalgia fest because it's a rehash of what you've seen before. It's a good rehash, in my opinion, but still a rehash. This looks new and fresh, just set in the same time period with props you've already seen before.

Obviously everyone's going to feel nostalgic about this movie, but it doesn't seem like they're using it as their primary factor to market the film. The Force Awakens did.
There were so many of those moments in the movie. As someone who likes Star Wars, but isn't nostalgic for it, it's painful at times. It's weird when a sequel is so aware of how much time has passed.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #83
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Deja vu... one scene reminded me of Canary Wharf tube station, a station I've been to many times when travelling. Apparently said thought may not have been so mad after all...

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016...e-tube-station
Old 04-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #84
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The filmmakers for Rogue One will be judging some Star Wars fan films.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #85
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
DUDE. You have to check out Star Wars Rebels if you haven't already. It's the greatest!
Does it air on Wednesday nights? My Wednesday nights are now wide open.

I don't think I really want to dive back in to the Star Wars universe just yet. I've come close to checking out some EU novels from the library, but I know that if I get hooked, that's just less time to write...

Rebels is what replaced The Clone Wars, right?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #86
CyberCubed
Overlord

Just watch Episode 7 for now. Its worth watching for the main cast, Daisy Ridley, etc. and Harrisson Ford alone.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #87
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Does it air on Wednesday nights? My Wednesday nights are now wide open.

I don't think I really want to dive back in to the Star Wars universe just yet. I've come close to checking out some EU novels from the library, but I know that if I get hooked, that's just less time to write...

Rebels is what replaced The Clone Wars, right?
It does air on Wednesday, actually.

Yeah, it takes place in-between the time period after Revenge of the Sith and before A New Hope, with some characters and references to Clone Wars popping up. I'd highly recommend it, it's a great show.

What EU books have you checked out in the past? I've got a bunch recently like Kenobi, X-Wing, Darth Plagueis, Thrawn Trilogy, etc.

Last edited by TurtleTitan97; 04-08-2016 at 09:22 PM.
TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #88
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Ridley: Rogue One's Jyn Erso Not Rey's Mom
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/...ae22c012000025

Quote:
Daisy Ridley has put one Star Wars: Rogue One fan rumor to rest for now.

When the Rogue One trailer dropped last week, there were rumblings that rebel fighter Jyn Erso, played by Felicity Jones, could be Rey's mother.

According to MTV, Ridley said, "I'm not being funny you guys, but just because she's white and got brown hair... it doesn't mean she's my mom."

The actress does confirm in that same chat that she knows who Rey's parents are, and that she learned that information while making The Force Awakens.

"I think the amazing thing about [Episode VII] is that Finn and Rey don't come from anywhere, and they find a place," Ridley told MTV. "So to me, it's funny that people think it's so important because I don't really think it is."

One thing Ridley isn't sure about is whether Rey is a Jedi. "“I don’t know if I am a Jedi… I don’t think I am.”

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #89
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Only morons actually thought she was Rey's mother
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #90
CyberCubed
Overlord

The new female lead has no hope of getting as popular as Daisy Ridley.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #91
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
"I think the amazing thing about [Episode VII] is that Finn and Rey don't come from anywhere, and they find a place," Ridley told MTV. "So to me, it's funny that people think it's so important because I don't really think it is."
To be fair, I think people 'think it's so important' because Episode 7 implies that it is important, and it's Star Wars, so everyone is someone's son or daughter.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #92
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Only morons actually thought she was Rey's mother
While it's certainly the brain dead kneejerk response, I wouldn't call it moronic. Star Wars is very famous for being very... connected with itself. We can't rule her out being Rey's mother or Luke's eventual love interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The new female lead has no hope of getting as popular as Daisy Ridley.
Sure she does. She's the only one starring in a mostly-new Star War movie and not a remake.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #93
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Sure she does. She's the only one starring in a mostly-new Star War movie and not a remake.
Isn't she only going to be in this one movie? Rey's the star of the new trilogy, the main hero, and is the "Luke" of a whole new younger generation of fans.

There's no comparison. Not to mention Rogue One is obviously not going to make as much money in the box office as Episode 7 did.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #94
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Isn't she only going to be in this one movie? Rey's the star of the new trilogy, the main hero, and is the "Luke" of a whole new younger generation of fans.

There's no comparison. Not to mention Rogue One is obviously not going to make as much money in the box office as Episode 7 did.
Episode 7 is resting on its laurels because it's Episode 7... Rey or no Rey, it would be gangbusters regardless. Whatever happens with this new character in "Rogue One," if she earns accolades, it'll be earned.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:51 PM   #95
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
It does air on Wednesday, actually.

Yeah, it takes place in-between the time period after Revenge of the Sith and before A New Hope, with some characters and references to Clone Wars popping up. I'd highly recommend it, it's a great show.

What EU books have you checked out in the past? I've got a bunch recently like Kenobi, X-Wing, Darth Plagueis, Thrawn Trilogy, etc.
Mostly the Jacen/Jaina stuff. Really liked their character arcs...
Old 04-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #96
ToTheNines
[sic]

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/0...ting-revealed/

Guess the Hayden rumors were false.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #97
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

There's a Force for Change thing going on for Rogue One, the winner will get a Rogue One Stormtrooper helmet signed by the cast.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #98
snake
Disgusting

Felicity Jones is pretty qt

Her>Ridley IMO
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #99
Mayhem
Foot Elite

So Mads has apparently accidentally revealed he's Jyn's father in Rogue One. Implications and rumour mill at full standby heh...
Old 04-30-2016, 11:37 AM   #100
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
accidentally
It wasn't an accident. They've said we'll actually know about the characters before the movie debuts this time because Jar Jar Abrams isn't running the show.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote