The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 10-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #141
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

And really, James Avery was awesome for what FW Shredder was.....

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #142
Gonstead
Random Punk

I never liked the Justice Force. I try hard to forget about them ever existing.
Gonstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:37 AM   #143
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Until the 2012 version. Shredder's epic voice of evil makes the 2K3 Shredder's voice sound flat-out cartoonish in comparison.
I have to disagree with you on that one. I think 2k3 shredder has the most menacing voice out of all the shredders.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #144
Keldor1578
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatswiththeheadbands? View Post
I have to disagree with you on that one. I think 2k3 shredder has the most menacing voice out of all the shredders.
This i agree, The 4Kids Shreeder's voice is lot more menacing than Nick Shredder.
Keldor1578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #145
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

I think 2k3 Shredder's voice is ok. I remember thinking that he sounded too young when I heard him for the first time. But I'm really digging 2012 Shredder's. Kevin Richardson is awesome. 2k3 Shredder still gives me chills though. Don't get me wrong. Anybody notice that he sounded like an utrom for a while but later on they were like,"Ah whatever," and left his voice at normal pitch when he was out of the suit? That always bugged me. I guess the only explanation I could come up with is that Utroms have a severe helium addiction and it took this guy centuries to kick the habbit. Other than that, I got nothing.

Oh wait, he realized that he sounded like a demented chipmunk out of his suit. So he had throat surgery in order to sound more menacing. Either that, or he's using upgraded voice synth tech. hehe, sorry Ch'rell. We cool.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #146
Vivi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindturtle02 View Post
I think 2k3 Shredder's voice is ok. I remember thinking that he sounded too young when I heard him for the first time. But I'm really digging 2012 Shredder's. Kevin Richardson is awesome. 2k3 Shredder still gives me chills though. Don't get me wrong. Anybody notice that he sounded like an utrom for a while but later on they were like,"Ah whatever," and left his voice at normal pitch when he was out of the suit? That always bugged me. I guess the only explanation I could come up with is that Utroms have a severe helium addiction and it took this guy centuries to kick the habbit. Other than that, I got nothing.

Oh wait, he realized that he sounded like a demented chipmunk out of his suit. So he had throat surgery in order to sound more menacing. Either that, or he's using upgraded voice synth tech. hehe, sorry Ch'rell. We cool.
lol, I thought it was not to give away his identity before the big reveal. I guess I could attribute to aging, or something to do with being linked to the suit or even being injured with the suit on? I'm glad they went back to his normal voice. And as for Ch'rell being menacing, it just goes to show you don't have to be a big bladed meat head to be dangerous. A flash back into our own history will tell you that.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #147
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

I guess I was one of the only 2k3 fans who liked utrom Shredder. I thought it was disgusting but interesting. I didn't like his monologueing though. But I suppose all supervillains do this sort of thing. But as for other things I didn't like about the show... Wasn't a big fan of some of the filler eps. The Nano ones come to mind as do Return of The Justice Force and Junklantis. I remember ALWAYS catching these few in reruns and never getting to see any of the good ones unless Jester brought his DVDs by the dorms.

I started watching the show when season 4 aired. So naturally it was difficult to track down some of the earlier DVD releases and I'm sure it's next to impossible these days. Another thing connected with this show I'm not too keen on is the fact that no one is distributing these dvds anymore. I take great care of mine but they're going to wear out one of these days. I'm glad I bought 2 copies of Ninja Tribunal. I was afraid my original would wear out but that hasn't happened since I'm slightly OC with all my dvds. '
Old 10-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #148
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Agree to disagree. I still find 2K3's Shredder's voice to be too cartoonish. 2012 sounds dangerous and evil but without going over the top.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #149
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Allot of the 2k3 voices sounded a bit over the top to me. I'm wondering if it has something to do with all those voice actors doing so much work in anime prior to the series? Allot of the anime my fiancé's sister watches has a good deal of these same guys and gals in it. Anime has always sounded pretty cartoony to me, at least when American voice actors are dubbing it in English. I hope that makes sense. lol
Old 10-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #150
CyberCubed
Overlord

The voice actors were fantastic. The Turtles voices were clearly based on the movie incarnations too, so they sounded familiar from the start.

I also love 4kids Baxter's voice, he sounds so arrogant and it fits him perfectly.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #151
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The voice actors were fantastic. The Turtles voices were clearly based on the movie incarnations too, so they sounded familiar from the start.

I also love 4kids Baxter's voice, he sounds so arrogant and it fits him perfectly.
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com./sh...ad.php?t=44203
Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #152
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
This. This is about what we didn't like about the show. Not what we didn't like, followed by a post 'correcting it' since our opinion is 'wrong'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 11-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #153
MartiusR
Random Punk

Well, first of all, something I don't like in Mirage comics too - all of these space aspects - Aliens, Utroms etc. For me, Turtles should struggle with criminals, mutants and of course Foot Clan, but not with all of these aliens, I never liked this stuff in TMNT. And while I think that personality of Ch'rell really fits perfect to the Shredder, it wasn't too pleasent surprise to know, that the mighty and deadly enemy of turtles is, as it was said in Turtles Forever, "The Pink Slug".

I don't like too much all of these "mystical aspects" - Ninja Tribunal (but surprisingly for me, the fight with the "authentic" Shredder/Oroku Saki in NY was quite a nice issue of this series), Battle Nexus, etc.

I can't forgive for abandoning the issue of Karai (in my opinion, the most intriguing and interesting character in all series) after Ninja Tribunal season, and, in some way, the Foot Clan issue too. Well, ok, the Foot is coming back in last season, but with many changes, which weren't (as far as I remember) explained. And this last appearance of Karai in "wedding episode" of last season was truly weak - what had happened, that she abandoned her conflict with turtles(and their friends)? Well, I will never know, because this period in TMNT history is closed

And the one thing, that in my opinion was far better in 1987' cartoon - the origin of Splinter. While I can fully understand the "rat-origin" in Mirage Comic (which was, in the original design, the parody), I wouldn't expect, that they will implement it in 2K3 series. It would be really better with Splinter as mutated Hamato Yoshi.

Last edited by MartiusR; 11-01-2013 at 03:36 PM.
MartiusR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #154
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiusR View Post
Well, first of all, something I don't like in Mirage comics too - all of these space aspects - Aliens, Utroms etc. For me, Turtles should struggle with criminals, mutants and of course Foot Clan, but not with all of these aliens, I never liked this stuff in TMNT.
Aliens have been such a huge part of EVERY TMNT incarnation that I don't see how it could bother you.

The vast majority of plots in TMNT have always been sci-fi in all 3 cartoons and the comics. When you stop to think about it the urban Foot or mobster crime stories only make up a small percentage of TMNT.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #155
Bossa Nova
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Aliens have been such a huge part of EVERY TMNT incarnation that I don't see how it could bother you.

The vast majority of plots in TMNT have always been sci-fi in all 3 cartoons and the comics. When you stop to think about it the urban Foot or mobster crime stories only make up a small percentage of TMNT.
Well, in the films they didn't really play that large of a role, and I can kind of sympathize with MartiusR on that aspect. Growing up I watched primarily the first movie in which, aside from the Ooze, there really isn't a whole lot of sci-fi elements. The same could be said for the second and third films as well. There isn't any spaceships or aliens or robots. True, in the third movie the turtles do time travel, but it's more of a mythical and magical element than a science fiction one. Since I never watched the 80s toon in my childhood and pretty much only knew the turtles from these films, when I watched the 2k3 series I was pretty thrown off by how huge the sci-fi elements were and I admit it took me awhile to warm up to it. Nowadays there are certainly sci-fi aspects I really love, but honestly, if the turtles were primarily set in more "realistic' confrontations with human adversaries such as Shredder and the Purple Dragons, that's be pretty cool with me.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #156
MartiusR
Random Punk

Quote:

First of all, Turtles have a lots of various enemies - from simple thugs to villains from another dimensions and galaxies. Its really rich universum, and well, it is hard to expect that every fan will like all of this, what was presented by the creators of comics or TV series or movies

I remember that the first issue of Mirage's comic have made on my incredibly good impression - even if it was, in intention of creators, the parody of archetypical schemes in comics. Well, soon it has started a long history with Utroms, Triceratons etc, which bored me quite quickly. Generally, I don't have a problem with good sci-fi, but for me, the turtles don't fit to this sort of thing. For me, they're "urban heroes"*, and thugs/mobsters/foot clan (even if it seems quite grotesque [for people who aren't the fans of TMNT] to have a ninja clan in modern NY ) are the most adequate foes for them.

And by the way - as far as I remember, in 1st season of 2K3 series there wasn't too much aliens, and I really liked it

I think that quite important fact is, that I became turtle's fan in this year - yeah, I've seen three movies and the 1987 cartoon much earlier, but it is 2013, which made me more interested in TMNT. I think that if I would start it a couple of years ago (when I was younger and not so choosy and critical), I would have another attitude to many of TMNT Universe's aspects.

*I've read about year ago a quite interesting article about all "editions" of Batman - in comics, movies, tv series etc. The article showed such a big variety - first comics with Batman, Batman in future, Batman crossing the Judge Dredd's realm etc. The author mentioned also about fanworks, and in conclusion he wrote, that in some way every fan has (in some way) his "favourite batman", what shows the great potential in this character. And that's it - it's the same thing in TMNT series. We can discuss and argue even with minor issues, like the origin of Splinter - some of us just can't stand the "rat-origin" and think, that Splinter as mutated Hamato Yoshi is the best option. Other of us don't care, and think that it is good.

Last edited by MartiusR; 11-02-2013 at 03:01 AM.
MartiusR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:38 AM   #157
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
Well, in the films they didn't really play that large of a role, and I can kind of sympathize with MartiusR on that aspect. Growing up I watched primarily the first movie in which, aside from the Ooze, there really isn't a whole lot of sci-fi elements. The same could be said for the second and third films as well. There isn't any spaceships or aliens or robots. True, in the third movie the turtles do time travel, but it's more of a mythical and magical element than a science fiction one. Since I never watched the 80s toon in my childhood and pretty much only knew the turtles from these films, when I watched the 2k3 series I was pretty thrown off by how huge the sci-fi elements were and I admit it took me awhile to warm up to it. Nowadays there are certainly sci-fi aspects I really love, but honestly, if the turtles were primarily set in more "realistic' confrontations with human adversaries such as Shredder and the Purple Dragons, that's be pretty cool with me.
I would love the original movies if they broguth in some Utroms, like first supposed to. That was suppose to be the "Secret of the Ooze", that it was supposed to be extraterrestrial. Who cares if the Utroms would be confused with Krang? Many probably thought Jordan Perry was like white Baxter Stockman.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #158
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I would love the original movies if they broguth in some Utroms, like first supposed to. That was suppose to be the "Secret of the Ooze", that it was supposed to be extraterrestrial. Who cares if the Utroms would be confused with Krang? Many probably thought Jordan Perry was like white Baxter Stockman.
Kinda doubt it since he wasn't a bad guy in the movie.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #159
CansecoBat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
if the turtles were primarily set in more "realistic' confrontations with human adversaries such as Shredder and the Purple Dragons, that's be pretty cool with me.
My sentiments exactly. And why for me personally, the 1990 film will always be my favorite. Perfect blend of Mirage, OT, and plausible reality ... sans all excess sci-fi material, and cheesiness. One of the best comic book movies ever, IMO. Still holds up remarkably well today too.
CansecoBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #160
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Looking back, I kinda felt that Donatello came off a little stuck up and had a bit of a superiority complex, though just not as noticeable as Baxter's.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4kids