The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-23-2016, 10:36 PM   #41
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

I would like to hear what Laird says after he DOES get to watch the film. Who knows if he even will though? If he's not a fan of Bebop and Rocksteady then I would imagine he wouldn't have much fun watching this.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:53 PM   #42
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
I would like to hear what Laird says after he DOES get to watch the film. Who knows if he even will though? If he's not a fan of Bebop and Rocksteady then I would imagine he wouldn't have much fun watching this.
He's seen all the TMNT movies at least once.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:43 PM   #43
Commenter 42
Banned

For real? am I reading this ********, like for real?

@OA, y'all got some serious Stockholm syndrome brother.

@Andrew's gone off the reservation, true, but so what? Dudes fed up; they FUBAR'd his favorite thing, with Extreme prejudice.

That hurts. It hurts the fans, and the franchise.

WE paid the MONEY to keep the franchise alive, for years.
The star told us to fvck off. The producer called us Haters. Michael Bay said Chill. The **** head concept artist told us to move on.

Between ^^this, and nothing at all, I'm picking the latter.

And finally, the public seems to agree. It's a victory, yes. Cheering for folks to lose isn't cool, but WE warned them. They didn't listen.

Don't worry, Bay will be fine aboard his private jet. He doesn't care. He's off further ****ing up Transformers, with Merlin and Stonehenge, Marky-Mark, and...

As Vespa, that transforms into sadness and despair...

As for TC and his buddies, they'll love anything and everything; so pleasing them isn't the objective.
One way or another H'wood will learn not to piss on fandoms. If anything, that's the lesson of 2016, on all counts.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 06-24-2016 at 02:43 AM.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:57 PM   #44
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post

As for TC and his buddies, they'll love anything and everything; so pleasing them isn't the objective.
One way or another H'wood will learn not to piss on fandoms. If anything, that's the lesson of 2016, on all counts.
Naw. I bet if we ever get a more faithful movie that totally rocks the house similar to how batman begins revived batman for movie audiences they're totally gonna turn around and be all like 'yes, this is movie we've all been waiting for, we all knew the Bay movies sucked'. Hypocrits.

Just like now suddenly everyone agrees the first movie sucked even though at the the time it caused such a huge divide here.

The problem is, they don't see the big picture. They think this is the be all end all. Either bayturtles or there'll never ever be another tmnt movie ever again. Of course not. Sooner or later someone will pick it up. And it'll be better than this ****.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:02 AM   #45
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Naw. I bet if we ever get a more faithful movie that totally rocks the house similar to how batman begins revived batman for movie audiences they're totally gonna turn around and be all like 'yes, this is movie we've all been waiting for, we all knew the Bay movies sucked'. Hypocrits.

Just like now suddenly everyone agrees the first movie sucked even though at the the time it caused such a huge divide here.

The problem is, they don't see the big picture. They think this is the be all end all. Either bayturtles or there'll never ever be another tmnt movie ever again. Of course not. Sooner or later someone will pick it up. And it'll be better than this ****.
Deadpool turned the key; we're just waiting for somebody else to actually open the door.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:26 AM   #46
Freeman
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Lowering your standards just to get more product isn't fandom, it's addiction.
The one and only sentence I'd save from this thread.
I can see Laird beeing diplomatic about the movie because he doesn't want to open fire against Viacom/Bay (and somehow Eastman).
But we has target of the movie, as the ones who outraged with the deep ignorance of the franchise from Bay, have the right to rise our voices.
I do belive the plot this time was better constructed than on the first movie, but dialogues weren't enough, Shredders ending did not bring any show at all and we saw no scene of 4 turtles kicking us to 200 foot ninjas.

Better concepts in some points, but still a weak execution relying on too many fart jokes.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:08 AM   #47
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OA View Post
To be clear, my issue is not so much the apparent failure of the project. You are right, we want quality over quantity. We shouldn't support a poor showing just to save a franchise, and constructive criticism is awesome. My point is that, and I'm certain you've seen it, so much of the noise around here is "The witch is dead!" "Yahoo, look at those terrible box office numbers!" etc. That celebrating of failure, the seething vitriol that plagues most of these threads lately, comes across as simply mean-spirited rather than helpful. And generally it's the same people, beating the dead horse in thread after thread, looking for more creative ways to express an obvious joy of the demise of the movie... that's the stuff that bums me out.
I can understand that, and I think we're on the same page in a lot of ways... I think the environment here is the "why" of it, though. And yeah, there's definitely a fair share of mean-spiritedness here. There's been a lot of constructive criticism too, but even that seems to inspire a bunch of angry defensiveness over any criticism. But yeah, you're right, there's been a ton of hostility from both sides over these movies, and I don't really know what the answer to that is... so a part of me is just hoping, if this series is over, the property can move on and the hostility will just die out already.

I'll admit I'm biased -- I think Platinum Dunes is a pretty terrible production company (nothing against anyone there personally, but they've literally never made a good movie), I know the TMNT property can and should produce better movies (and I'm tired of the bad ones increasingly outnumbering the good), and feel like the Bayhem style has had a very negative influence on blockbuster filmmaking. If this movie failing helps solve those problems, or at least tick things slightly in the other direction, then I can't help but feel glad for it.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:39 AM   #48
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
To be clear, my issue is not so much the apparent failure of the project. You are right, we want quality over quantity. We shouldn't support a poor showing just to save a franchise, and constructive criticism is awesome. My point is that, and I'm certain you've seen it, so much of the noise around here is "The witch is dead!" "Yahoo, look at those terrible box office numbers!" etc. That celebrating of failure, the seething vitriol that plagues most of these threads lately, comes across as simply mean-spirited rather than helpful. And generally it's the same people, beating the dead horse in thread after thread, looking for more creative ways to express an obvious joy of the demise of the movie... that's the stuff that bums me out.
This movie has to die for a better one to someday rise.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 06-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #49
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

I love Peter Laird. He is trying SO HARD to be diplomatic while still being honest.

But oh man, does he want to open up on these movies so bad. For almost exactly the same reasons a lot of us DO.

The Casey Jones buzz cut line is a dead giveaway. Bringing it up at all shows how much he downright dislikes this garbage.

Also I'd dance on this movie's grave if I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:57 AM   #50
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
This is what sticks out to me and honestly is a major reason I haven't really liked venturing into this side of the drome of late. The sheer JOY people seem to get out of seeing the failure of not just anything, but the Turtles who we are all fans of, it's really disheartening. I get not liking the movie, maybe even hating it, but to do a virtual dance as you watch it plummet...? Is that really good for the franchise, for it to be buried under a rock to maybe see the light of day again in a couple decades? Those of us around back when there was nothing, that dead time after Next mutation before the comics started anew...is that what is really wanted? Things don't happen in a vaccuum and it's possible that the utter failure of the movie could leach into other tmnt entities (cartoon, comics, etc.) so why root this on? It's amazing the "experts" around here who know exactly why it's failing and how to fix it. But really it boils down to what Pete said, rooting for anything to fail that doesn't make the world a better place, just seems flat out wrong. I only hope that you don't find yourselves one day on the other side of fence, being spat upon with glee, for a bad decision you made. That you don't pour your heart and soul (and maybe hundreds of millions) into something that while it fails, you get laughed right in the face. But in the meantime, carry on...
Amen, brother. Also the reason why I rarely venture into these forums. There's like 10 threads open with the smallest variations all basically saying "So, now that the movie FAILED and SUCKS...let's talk about _____". It's just immature. And it's not like I'm gaga over the damn movie either. Not be a long shot.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #51
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Well... it did fail and suck. And based on the first one, shame on anyone expecting much better.

This movie series must die for a better one to someday rise.

I mean can you imagine if we never got the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy because we kept getting Schumacher sequels? Or hell, if they made more movies after tmnt 3? I mean I loved the first two but after 3 it was the right time to end because it only would have gotten worse from there. Or just imagine if they kept cranking out transformers sequels...oh wait...

Old 06-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #52
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Amen, brother. Also the reason why I rarely venture into these forums. There's like 10 threads open with the smallest variations all basically saying "So, now that the movie FAILED and SUCKS...let's talk about _____". It's just immature. And it's not like I'm gaga over the damn movie either. Not be a long shot.
"Waaahhh, people aren't nice to a movie that sucks."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #53
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Well... it did fail and suck.
Former is fact, latter is subjective.

Quote:
This movie series must die for a better one to someday rise.
Not necessarily true. On another thread I showed how each TMNT sequel always underperforms expectations and are critical failures, and at some point someone is going to take notice that TMNT might just be a franchise best left for comics and TV.

Quote:
I mean can you imagine if we never got the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy because we kept getting Schumacher sequels? Or hell, if they made more movies after tmnt 3? I mean I loved the first two but after 3 it was the right time to end because it only would have gotten worse from there. Or just imagine if they kept cranking out transformers sequels...oh wait...
You're not wrong. Hell, I remember posting after TMNT 2014 that I hope it makes a ton of money but I hope the sequel bombs just to show that theres still interest in a TMNT franchise, but not the way they went about it. So in a way I did get my wish. So I'm with you guys, I am. I'm just not going to the kids birthday whose friends didn't show up just to celebrate and laugh at him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
"Waaahhh, people aren't nice to a movie that sucks."
Thanks for chiming in, kiddo.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #54
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
He's seen all the TMNT movies at least once.
So he has now seen this one and his reaction is still the same? Because in the story he said he hadn't seen this one yet. I would assume that the first film is his favorite.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #55
Etsyturtle2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
I pick apart the narrative once I notice something is wrong. Hence my grevicances with the movie. But hey I'm just a 1% downer what do I know?
Grevicances?
Etsyturtle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #56
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
I love Peter Laird. He is trying SO HARD to be diplomatic while still being honest.

But oh man, does he want to open up on these movies so bad. For almost exactly the same reasons a lot of us DO.

The Casey Jones buzz cut line is a dead giveaway. Bringing it up at all shows how much he downright dislikes this garbage.

Also I'd dance on this movie's grave if I could.
I guess that's why I respect the guy. He's being very diplomatic, even though he obviously doesn't like it. Being an asshole doesn't help the situation. Those creative choices come from up high, and it's apparent that the BO of TMNT2 will be doomsday for those choices.

It wasn't the first dogshit output from the property and more than likely won't be the last.

For Laird, it's really awesome the way he communicates with fans. Dude has him money, his bikes, his family, his pottery... he doesn't have to communicate and share his thoughts with the fans, but he does. That's pretty damn cool of him. I probably would have retreated to the mountains if I were him.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #57
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

for those who followed NICK's acquisition of TMNT (I didnt), help me understand something...

...was Peter the one who brokered the deal, and stood the gain the most financially?
Old 06-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #58
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic_content View Post
for those who followed NICK's acquisition of TMNT (I didnt), help me understand something...

...was Peter the one who brokered the deal, and stood the gain the most financially?
TMNT was sold for $60 million, and Peter Laird retained most of that money, so yes.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #59
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic_content View Post

Viacom brokered the deal through Gary Richardson, Peter Laird's CEO of Mirage for 63 million. Peter Laird pocketed all of it, minus some obvious finder's fee or % for Richardson's involvement. He relinquished all interest and rights and any possible royalty money to come from future TMNT projects and publications. The only thing he retains post-sale deal is the right to publish 18 Mirage TMNT comics a year solely in the Mirage TMNT universe in perpetuity until death and it's non-transferable.

No one at Mirage beyond Peter (not even Kevin, who sold his half of the rights to Peter in 2000) saw any of that. Though I do recall him paying out the the then-existing Mirage staffers (Berger, Lawson, etc.) some kind of voluntary moderate severance-sort-of payment at the end. I remember hearing from Dan that it "wasn't a whole lot, but nice of him."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #60
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
No one at Mirage beyond Peter (not even Kevin, who sold his half of the rights to Peter in 2000) saw any of that. Though I do recall him paying out the the then-existing Mirage staffers (Berger, Lawson, etc.) some kind of voluntary moderate severance-sort-of payment at the end.
I think I recall Jim Lawson and Dan Berger saying they received some money after the sale. I think PL gave them some out of goodwill or something.

Tags
oots, peter laird