The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Turtles wear red masks again

What are the chances we'll see a new version of the turtles going back to wearing red bandanas? It's not a deal breaker for me but I would love to see it happen again. Whether it'd be the comics, a new cartoon, a new film, etc., would you like to see it happen again?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm sure it'll happen in most new iterations, but never permanently. More like origins or flashbacks, similar to how IDW did it.

But no, no mainstream TMNT story will ever have all four Turtles wearing red masks. And I'm okay with that.

But what I WOULD love to see make a comeback are the Utrom symbols the Turtles were sporting on their plastrons back in Volume 4. That was nifty.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
mrmaczaps
Banned

I would second that request for an all red mask wearing series, tv or comics, for a long haul... as much as I like IDWs take so far, I really dislike color Turtles comics and colored bandanas. But I'm a Mirage guy at heart so nothing for me will ever be as good.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

I am not sure if any major incarnation has them wearing red masks. But I don't mind. Personally I was never fond of the red masks. In the comic, whether it was black and white or had them wearing red masks, it just makes it more difficult to tell who's who unless they have other features that distinguish them, aside from their weapons. I never thought it was original for them to all wear the same color and look pretty much the same.
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wait for Andrew to see this topic. He'll give you an hour and a half rant why red bandana's are natural and the colors make them metrosexuals.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
ToTheNines
[sic]

Might be really cool if the Nick turtles went Mirage for the finale or something. Would be an epic way to end the series.

For in story reasons... Maybe the hue would look weird, but imagine if Splinter had died and each of the guys all made headbands out of a piece of his kimono. Would put an extra emotional spin on the motif beyond the clan unity.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Wait for Andrew to see this topic. He'll give you an hour and a half rant why red bandana's are natural and the colors make them metrosexuals.
Brace yourselves...

ANDREW IS COMING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Might be really cool if the Nick turtles went Mirage for the finale or something. Would be an epic way to end the series.

For in story reasons... Maybe the hue would look weird, but imagine if Splinter had died and each of the guys all made headbands out of a piece of his kimono. Would put an extra emotional spin on the motif beyond the clan unity.
Damn, good idea! Never happen, but good idea.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

So long as you give them their own distinctive silhouettes like in the Nick cartoon, it could work. Though personally, if the turtles needed to wear a single color, I'd rather it be black.
TurtleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
But no, no mainstream TMNT story will ever have all four Turtles wearing red masks.
I wouldn't rule it out entirely. But certainly no time in the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleGuy View Post
Though personally, if the turtles needed to wear a single color, I'd rather it be black.
It'd be OK with that. In my old screenplay for "Ninja Turtles" (4), when Splinter got killed I had them shuck their colored bandannas and they all put on black ones.

Quote:
But they do. There is no story-based reason for them to wear multi-colored bandannas beyond "I wanna be different!" or "I wanna make a fashion statement!" or "My favorite color is BLUE and I'm gonna wear it and show the world, damn it!" None of which seem in line with what would be the reasoning of a ninja trained from basically birth to be an assassin.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-09-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It'd be OK with that. In my old screenplay for "Ninja Turtles" (4), when Splinter got killed I had them shuck their colored bandannas and they all put on black ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleGuy View Post
So long as you give them their own distinctive silhouettes like in the Nick cartoon, it could work. Though personally, if the turtles needed to wear a single color, I'd rather it be black.
Black? You guys... Who do you think these turtles are, NINJA!?
Old 09-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #11
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Do we really gotta do this all over again?
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #12
snake
Disgusting

If anything it'll be like IDW where they only were them for the first arc.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I have been very disappointed. No one has invoked Crisler's Law for like, months. Usually this is a topic that brings it out so let's see.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #14
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
But what I WOULD love to see make a comeback are the Utrom symbols the Turtles were sporting on their plastrons back in Volume 4. That was nifty.
Okay, I love that idea, but I also find it pretty funny that the Utroms couldn't tell them apart by their weapons. Here we have hyper-intelligent aliens who built a god-damn teleporter and practically all look and act identical (a thing I have a lot of problems with and thank IDW for dealing with), but when four turtles set their identities apart with their weaponry, and they don't take the time to set apart the tiny nuances that they should be able to spot, they make them wear symbols on their plastrons.

I could have gone with a joke that the Utroms can tell them apart without their weapons by the slightest little differences that the turtles never really took the time to notice.
"Oh yeah, I know you're Leonardo, you have that weird dent in the left side of your shell"
"...What dent?"
I recon if they're smart enough to tell each other apart in spite of looking incredibly similar, they should be able to spot little differences in every person down to their thumbprint - which is probably how they set each other apart anyway.

Regarding the turtles wearing red masks, I can see them doing it as a stealth tactic. Maybe in an "I am Spartacus!" situation where Raphael is in danger and the others have to protect him. So they all wear red masks and carry sai (but not actually use them for the purposes of distraction), and hope whoever they're dealing with can't pick up their differences in height and body shape.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #15
Powder
So tired of this place

The only way it'll happen is if, as others said, they pay homage in a single episode or issue of something, or, if we ever get a Mirage animated DVD feature.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #16
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:

Damn, good idea! Never happen, but good idea.
Well, Ciro is a Mirage fanboy, so I'm sure he'd like to make it happen. Surely Nick would let go of the the rainbow headbands for ONE episode. And maybe I'm giving Playmates too much credit here, but it presents a variant figure opportunity, no?

As for my specific idea, now that I've looked at it with this in mind, I think Splinter's red would look really cool on the boys. Not to mention it's different enough from Raph's red so as to not make it pointless for him to bother with it.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

I could see a training segment at the dojo with Splinter in the Nick cartoon where all the Turtles wear red bandana's as a training excercize.

The Turtles still look different though in Nick, with Don being tall and thin, Mike being shorter, the crack on Raph's shell, etc....that you would still tell them apart even if they all wore red.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #18
snake
Disgusting

The turtles wearing splinter's clothes as masks would be a great ending. Sucks that the chances of it happening are nearly nonexistant.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #19
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Since everyone else is repeating their arguments here, I'll repeat mine, as well;

1.) Ninjas (shinobi) did not have clan colors. Clan colors are not part of Japanese culture, clans identified by clan mon (symbol or crest) colors were worn based on time of year, holiday, auspicious occasion. Clan colors are an aspect of celtic culture (Scottish clans, Irish clans, etc.)

2.) The color bandannas DO make more sense than one uniform color. No ninja clan or group would ever wear a uniform color that would identify them as a member of a distinct group, four ninjas wearing different colors would sow confusion among an enemy that saw or captured one of them. Any ninja clan who all dress in the same colors are a bunch of idiots.

3.) Ninjas have no uniform appearance- ninjitsu was the art of invisibility NOT because of ability to sneak around silently in the shadows (though plenty of that was done if the mission called for it) but the ability to blends in in plain sight, disguised as anyone or anything. That guy in a yukata next to you in the tea shop could be a ninja, and you'd never know it.

4.) Ninjas were not assassins- they were mercenaries, spies and saboteurs for hire. Killing during a mission was a last resort, because a body would draw unwanted attention. Japan had a separate, professional class of assassins, who were hired for killing jobs. Shinobi were called in to assassinate as a last resort, being extremely expensive to obtain, and was usually seen as overkill. In the ninjas heyday in the sengoku, a clan ninja would be lucky if they got one assassination per year, and even two or three kills in all of their missions combined per year. The goal of the ninja was to use his stealth and martial arts to NOT be seen, NOT to fight. A ninja always getting into fights is drawing unnecessary attention to themselves, making said ninja an idiot.

5.) The modern killing machine ninja in black kabuki pajamas who seeks 'revenge for dishonor' is the invention of Frank Miller, and has about as much to do with Japan or shinobi as American super heroes do. Ninja are more like sengoku-era James Bonds, or sengoku era special forces/commandos. The question of wither or not they are heroes should be weighed against that comparison, instead of Miller's orientalist wannabes.

That's is all, proceed with your debate!

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #20
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I couldn't see it happening in mainstream either. Each turtle now is connected to a color. Flashbacks or origins as to how they received their different color bandanas, yeah, I could see it...like in Archie. If I remember that right, Splinter just got tired of confusing them. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Since everyone else is repeating their arguments here, I'll repeat mine, as well;

1.) Ninjas (shinobi) did not have clan colors. Clan colors are not part of Japanese culture, clans identified by clan mon (symbol or crest) colors were worn based on time of year, holiday, auspicious occasion. Clan colors are an aspect of celtic culture (Scottish clans, Irish clans, etc.)

2.) The color bandannas DO make more sense than one uniform color. No ninja clan or group would ever wear a uniform color that would identify them as a member of a distinct group, four ninjas wearing different colors would sow confusion among an enemy that saw or captured one of them. Any ninja clan who all dress in the same colors are a bunch of idiots.

3.) Ninjas have no uniform appearance- ninjitsu was the art of invisibility NOT because of ability to sneak around silently in the shadows (though plenty of that was done if the mission called for it) but the ability to blends in in plain sight, disguised as anyone or anything. That guy in a yukata next to you in the tea shop could be a ninja, and you'd never know it.

4.) Ninjas were not assassins- they were mercenaries, spies and saboteurs for hire. Killing during a mission was a last resort, because a body would draw unwanted attention. Japan had a separate, professional class of assassins, who were hired for killing jobs. Shinobi were called in to assassinate as a last resort, being extremely expensive to obtain, and was usually seen as overkill. In the ninjas heyday in the sengoku, a clan ninja would be lucky if they got one assassination per year, and even two or three kills in all of their missions combined per year. The goal of the ninja was to use his stealth and martial arts to NOT be seen, NOT to fight. A ninja always getting into fights is drawing unnecessary attention to themselves, making said ninja an idiot.

5.) The modern killing machine ninja in black kabuki pajamas who seeks 'revenge for dishonor' is the invention of Frank Miller, and has about as much to do with Japan or shinobi as American super heroes do. Ninja are more like sengoku-era James Bonds, or sengoku era special forces/commandos. The question of wither or not they are heroes should be weighed against that comparison, instead of Miller's orientalist wannabes.

That's is all, proceed with your debate!
You know, getting down to it, the way the "ninja" are portrayed in the show, with clan uniforms or whatever, makes me think of the Yakuza and how they function for some reason. Ninja are supposed to be hidden and stuff. The Yakuza function in plain site. I know I've come across a Yakuza guy at least once since I've been here.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sharkbladeweirdness, whatcolorareyournostrils?