The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-18-2022, 12:26 PM   #1
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Rocko's Modern Life

Always loved this one, they got away with a lot of adult humor, especially the 1st season.

Still cracks me up that it took the censors 3 full seasons to change the name of the Chokey Chicken.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:06 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

My wife's a huge fan. It's okay, I don't really love it but it's fine.

Shows like that, I mostly just like to "spice things up" by doing impressions of the characters saying messed up stuff. This cracks my wife up. Like I'll do Filbert saying "OHHH GAWD my anal warts!" or something like that, or "You turn the page, you wash your F*CKING hands!" I can do most of the characters so sometimes it'll go on for a while with them all having vulgar conversations and whatnot.

We have fun. But yeah, I didn't really pay any attention to it until I met my wife. I kind stopped watching Nickelodeon by 1993 or so. I'd tune in and out but I wasn't really paying much attention by then.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:42 AM   #3
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Well at least the show got 4 seasons. I found it funny that Filbert got more character development then Rocko...or anyone else for that matters.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:33 AM   #4
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

I loved that show. They don't make these cartoons like they used to. Full of adult humor.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:40 PM   #5
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

I recently got the complete dvd set and I enjoyed it now even more than I did when I was a kid.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:23 AM   #6
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

I got the german blu ray (complete series) which has english audio, great quality and still a fun show.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:15 AM   #7
Mario500
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
Always loved this one, they got away with a lot of adult humor, especially the 1st season.

Still cracks me up that it took the censors 3 full seasons to change the name of the Chokey Chicken.
"got away"?
"adult"?
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:14 AM   #8
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I loved Rocko, same with those 90s Nicktoons they reran to death. I still loved them but it's too bad they stuck with the 52 eps or so run. Imagine getting more episodes of Rocko in the late 90s like Rugrats. Same with the other Nicktoons like Hey Arnold, Real Monsters etc.
Disney's Doug might've been disappointing but at least it was spanking new. Nickelodeon messed up there, especially since no one seemed to like the latest Nicktoons like Wild Thornberries, Rocket Power and Catdog. And i wanted to love them but ai was getting a bit older and preferred Cartoon Network 's cartoon cartoons and Pokemon later killed interest in Nicktoons by the time Spongebob a real contender came out.

Last edited by sdp; 05-24-2022 at 07:19 AM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:04 AM   #9
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Nickelodeon messed up there, especially since no one seemed to like the latest Nicktoons like Wild Thornberries, Rocket Power and Catdog.
I hated Rocket Power, and mostly disliked Catdog, though The Wild Thornberries was okay, just not in the same tier as the other Nicktoons from that time. Though I'd say those three shows have fanbases nowadays. I think Nick still had good stuff come out post-Rocko. I really enjoyed the likes of Chalkzone, As Told By Ginger, All Grown Up (I didn't think it was a quality show, though I liked seeing the Rugrats as older kids), Invader Zim, My Life as a Teenage Robot, ATLA, and so on. Though I could really rant on and on about how horrible most of Nickelodeon's slate of Nicktoons in recent years has been, and those that didn't suck were mistreated very badly. Hell, even the really bad Nicktoons that I hated didn't deserve the treatment they got from Viacom.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:19 AM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Yeah, I think nickelodeon was too confident o reruns of old Nicktoons and newer ones from the late 90s didn't catch on. Rocket power looked cool and u was excited for it but i never got into it, she with cat dog. Ironically Wild Thornberries wasn't that bad despite not being excited for that show. I do think Cartoon Network nailed the attitude and mood of those early 90s with their cartoon shorts in the late 90s so the psynergy went with them, PPG, Dexter's, Cow/Chicken etc.

I was a tween/teen for the other shows you mentioned so i can't make a fair argument but I did enjoy All Grown Up and Invader Zim when I would catch them and absolutely loved Avatar but I was like 16 when Avatar came out so not a kid and didn't really watch Nick.

I don't think it's too crazy to say that Nickelodeon peaked in cultural relevance in the first half of the 90s and CN in the second half.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:26 AM   #11
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I don't think it's too crazy to say that Nickelodeon peaked in cultural relevance in the first half of the 90s and CN in the second half.
I agree with this, though I feel like CN and the Cartoon Cartoons were a very different beast from the Nicktoons in a lot of ways. Even at its worst, I think CN has overall treated its stuff better than Nick has. CN tends to fluctuate in quality for me. I think their upcoming slate has a lot of potential, but...we'll see. On the other hand, Nick is just the Spongebob Channel now. And I don't even think their recent SB stuff is great. Not to mention that it's nauseating they made Camp Koral and The Patrick Star Show against the creator's wishes as soon as he died.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:41 AM   #12
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

Am I the only one that likes Catdog?
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:01 AM   #13
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog McMutt View Post
Am I the only one that likes Catdog?
Alone in the world was a little McMutt.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:41 AM   #14
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Funny that Filburt got more character development/growth then Rocko actually did. In fact it feels like Rocko is a secondary character in his own series...at least in the last season or two.